The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

All things being equal, 28-70 is too cramped for general walk about duty, and I'd much prefer a 24-120 f4 if they could get near the same quality in a bigger shell.

How many RAWS should I expect to fill a 128gb card? From a7riii....

Yeah it was quite the bargain at £599 on the black friday offers, think it has went back up in price again now.

Got mine at that price. Think it best bang for buck Lens I’ve bought

How many RAWS should I expect to fill a 128gb card? From a7riii....

depends compressed or uncompressed?
compressed RAWs are 42MB each and uncompressed are 84MB each.
Divide 128GB i.e. 128000MB with either 42MB or 84MB and you'll get a fairly decent estimate

Anyone here have a Commlite & tried the Nikon 70-300G (not the newer P version) VR ?

Got mine at that price. Think it best bang for buck Lens I’ve bought
For me, it has to be the Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8
If I could only pick one lens, this would be it purely based on a overall package.... weight, size, IQ, sharpness etc..... :D

It isn't that big or heavy.

The 70-200GM is big and heavy.
Yes the Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM is indeed big and heavy, but it is pretty darn good. I am questioning myself why I am selling off all my GM lenses..... :eek:
The 1.8 versions of the Sony 35mm and 85mm are pretty much in-line with the Zeiss 55mm f1.8, pretty small and compact for their respective focal lengths. (Better for travelling light).

On Oct 14, 2013 this happened....... :D

May very well look like this...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

Anyone interested?

I've been looking forward to this coming out but I'm hard to please...

1. The rumour was it'd have IBIS, it hasn't got it.
2. It's not exactly pretty is it? To me it looks like someone glued it together in a garden shed.
3. The EVF's in the middle.
4. No swivel screen.
5. No built in flash.

Not having a built in flash will probably kill it for me. I know many people see built in flash as the spawn of the Devil but personally I hate the fact that my 5D doesn't have one as I find them useful for fill and snap shots etc and I just don't think I can bring myself to drop well over £1k on a camera without one.

Of course I could carry an external flash but that destroys the portability and would mean missing shots while it's fished out and fitted and personally I hate attention grabbing scene destroying speedlight type things.

So, sadly I'll probably pass on this.

Anyone getting one?

The start of it all..... and you still have your Sony A7! :D

Yes the Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM is indeed big and heavy, but it is pretty darn good. I am questioning myself why I am selling off all my GM lenses..... :eek:
The 1.8 versions of the Sony 35mm and 85mm are pretty much in-line with the Zeiss 55mm f1.8, pretty small and compact for their respective focal lengths. (Better for travelling light).

They also out perform every single one of your GM zoom lenses on everything other than you can’t zoom them.

They also out perform every single one of your GM zoom lenses on everything other than you can’t zoom them.
Yes, that too..... they GM zoom lenses do have their place but for me they are just too big, heavy and expensive to keep...... my heart is saying keep them (no idea what for), mind says sell them. :D lol
Thinking about the wide and long ends which I will lose by selling off the GM lenses, I think the Sony Zeiss FE 16-35mm f4 and the Sony FE 70-200mm f4 G OSS would cover them off perfectly and retaining a smaller + lighter setup compared to the GM's.

On Oct 14, 2013 this happened....... :D
The start of it all..... and you still have your Sony A7! :D

I got used to the styling and now I quite like it despite it being mini SLR rather than RF shaped. I do miss the articulated screen and I wish it had a tiltable built in flash.

Other than all that I don't think a newer camera would do wonders for me so I'm still plodding along.

I'll be interested to know what you think of your new council house primes.

I got used to the styling and now I quite like it despite it being mini SLR rather than RF shaped. I do miss the articulated screen and I wish it had a tiltable built in flash.

Other than all that I don't think a newer camera would do wonders for me so I'm still plodding along.

I'll be interested to know what you think of your new council house primes.
Will find out tonight if I get a few moment.... having read and watched all the reviews, they look like a very nice setup.....not to big, not to heavy with good results.
I have even shed my Sony A9 of its vertical battery grip, the A9 is now in full bare mode... lol :D

A cracking lens, I have owned it 3 times now! lol :D
It'll soon be joined by its siblings, the Sony 35mm 1.8 and 85mm f1.8 :D
I've got the 55 too, along with the 85mm and 135mm F1.8.
Just waiting for the camera to arrive before I can use them :oops: :$

Last edited:
DPR, gear of the year, Carey's choice... Sigma 45mm f2.8...

https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/28...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

Lots of comments like this...

"LoneTree1
Grossly overpriced piece of junk. How people can spend $699 on such a dog of a lens is beyond me. You might as well just go get an old 45mm f2.0 Minolta for $30, it's probably better optically. There are HUNDREDS of lenses from back when with the same or better build. I think the problem is, people have gotten so used to paying a fortune for plastic-bodied rubbish that they are shocked when they see a decent build."

:D

I have that Minolta 45mm f2, it's a nice lens but from what I've seen and read about the Sigma from people who seem to have a functioning brain the Sigma might be a good buy.

Last edited:
DPR, gear of the year, Carey's choice... Sigma 45mm f2.8...

https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/28...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

Lots of comments like this...

"LoneTree1
Grossly overpriced piece of junk. How people can spend $699 on such a dog of a lens is beyond me. You might as well just go get an old 45mm f2.0 Minolta for $30, it's probably better optically. There are HUNDREDS of lenses from back when with the same or better build. I think the problem is, people have gotten so used to paying a fortune for plastic-bodied rubbish that they are shocked when they see a decent build."

:D

I have that Minolta 45mm f2, it's a nice lens but from what I've seen and read about the Sigma from people who seem to have a functioning brain the Sigma might be a good buy.
There are loads of new F2.8 primes coming to market from Sony, Sigma and Tamron and I kind of see the point of the adverse comments. The F1.8 primes add very little weight, size and cost so why spend so much for so little ?!?

There are loads of new F2.8 primes coming to market from Sony, Sigma and Tamron and I kind of see the point of the adverse comments. The F1.8 primes add very little weight, size and cost so why spend so much for so little ?!?
Some people just prefer certain things from lenses..... I am looking forward to the smaller / lighter f1.8 primes...... :)

I don't get it either but there's clearly a market for them.

I don't get it either but there's clearly a market for them.
We should be happy.... I remember a time when we only had a few Sony FE lenses and how Sony has some much mud thrown in their face because of it..... DSLR owners use to relish in the fact that their systems had full line-ups etc..... my how the tables have now turned! :D lol

I don’t get these f/2.8 primes either, I can understand why the manufacturers would want to put people down that road as they are ridiculously cheap to make and there must be some demand for them. Not a lens I would consider buying though unless it was something different like a 10/12mm or a tilt shift something like that. These lenses are a real oddity.

Why not buy an old m/f lens, different optical formula, different coatings, different 'look', just 500 bucks cheaper.

It has a different design criteria. It's designed to be well made, handle well, be nice to use, be compact and specifically to give a nice look. That's quite a nice change in an era of big primes possibly designed primarily to be sharp across the frame at wide apertures.

Back