The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I used to like the fully articulated screen on my Panasonic G1. One nice thing is that you could turn it to the camera if not in use.

I wouldn't buy a camera to get one but I can see how it would be nice for people filming themselves or taking selfies.

Last edited:
@Raymond Lin - love that ring shot!

As for the A7IV - I wonder if this rumour has surfaced because of the rumours of an EOS R II (supposedly IBIS, 30MP, upgraded EVF, no crop 4K, dual card slots and Digic X). If they priced that right, might give the A7iii/IV some proper competition. Though there must be something Canon will intentionally gimp lol.

It certainly is a serious niggle A7iii.
If you want to take portrait format with camera very low you can't really see anything (common with wild flower shots)

@Raymond Lin - love that ring shot!

As for the A7IV - I wonder if this rumour has surfaced because of the rumours of an EOS R II (supposedly IBIS, 30MP, upgraded EVF, no crop 4K, dual card slots and Digic X). If they priced that right, might give the A7iii/IV some proper competition. Though there must be something Canon will intentionally gimp lol.

The A7IV has been rumoured for several months, long before any mention of an EOS R II. The A7IV is expected to be launched next month according to the rumour sites.

Last edited:

i hope they do add some competition. I have almost given up on Nikon now.
as per their claims they have done rather well on catching up. M6ii is great! lets hope that momentum continues.

i hope they do add some competition. I have almost given up on Nikon now.
as per their claims they have done rather well on catching up. M6ii is great! lets hope that momentum continues.

Yeah, the m6ii does look a great camera.

The A7IV has been rumoured for several months, long before any mention of an EOS R II. The A7IV is expected to be launched next month according to the rumour sites.
Meant more the timing (couple of days apart) of these rumour announcement but fair enough, had no idea it's supposedly coming out next month :D!!! Sony - if you bumped the EVF quality a bit as well, different colour for the focusing box and dual UHS2 at a minimum - you'd have another winner.

A new 1DX, whilst incremental - two new high end Sony bodies released (ARIV & A9II), a supposed EOS R II and now an A7 IV around the corner - good times.

Last edited:
It is pretty much guaranteed to be the pretty much the same spec based on other recent release likes the A9II and the A7RIV.

I agree on the A9II but the A7RIV has improved sensor, ergonomics, EVF and AF. If the A7IV saw the same range of improvements I think most people would agree that's a pretty reasonable upgrade.

I agree on the A9II but the A7RIV has improved sensor, ergonomics, EVF and AF. If the A7IV saw the same range of improvements I think most people would agree that's a pretty reasonable upgrade.

It'd tempt me. In fact I'd buy one day one!

Only joking. I'm keeping my A7.

Nothing game changing there though the real time a.f on the A7RIV isn’t as good as on the A9 and I have t been using it on mine.

To jump from an A7III to an A7RIV will likely cost about £1000 or so. The A7III‘s a.f is already plenty good, real time a.f is nice but I wouldn’t spend an extra £1000 to have it. Nor would I spend an extra £1000 just to have the ergonomics which I can’t honestly say having both makes much of a difference. I wouldn’t spend an extra £1000 for a better evf either. The A7IV will likely have all 3, but for me those are just incremental upgrades. I would rather spend a similar amount of money to upgrade the A7III’s I have left to more A9’s for similar maybe even less money.

It is very unlikely to have a different sensor, it could do but none of the rumour sites seem to think so.

Last edited:
tamron 20mm f/2.8 is $350 in US and £399 here. Its actually cheaper to order it from B&H, pay shipping and import taxes (comes to about £360-370).

tamron 20mm f/2.8 is $350 in US and £399 here. Its actually cheaper to order it from B&H, pay shipping and import taxes (comes to about £360-370).

I would bet on it being £269 delivered from E-Infinity when they get them (the 24mm and 35mm are both £269)

*edit £399 is taking the Mickey for a 3rd party 2.8 lens IMO

Last edited:
it wouldn't be if taxes/duty were paid which is what I said above :)

Ahh, I class a grey import as an item that is intended for one geographical market being sold to another market regardless of any taxes etc.

that's fine. My concern is/was to do with breaking the law. I try to avoid that where possible.

So have you never broke the law then?

Have you never:

Drank alcohol under age?
Taken illegal drugs?
Stolen a pen from work?
Jay walked?
Went above the speed limit when driving?
Had a sneaky look at your phone when driving?
Got into a fight outside a pub/club?
Watched an 18 rated movie before you where 18?
Played an 18 rated game before you where 18?

Pretty much every person in the U.K breaks the law in some way on a daily basis. It isn't 11.00 am yet and of the top of my head I have already broke 4 that I can think of.

Last edited:
You rebel you.

:cool:

Today's crimes so far:

Stole a lighter of my wife's mate
Drove over the speed limit
The place I had my breakfast at this morning charged for the sauce sachets, I paid for 1 but took 3. :oops: :$
Nipped into Tesco's, took a bag without paying the 5p.

Have you never:

Drank alcohol under age?
Taken illegal drugs?
Stolen a pen from work?
Jay walked?

Pretty much every person in the U.K breaks the law in some way on a daily basis. It isn't 11.00 am yet and of the top of my head I have already broke 4 that I can think of.

As I said I try to avoid it where possible.

And I actually haven't done some of the things you list.
Also just because its been done in the past doesn't make it alright to do again it in future. Thinking like this is exactly why we have serial murderers :p (only a slight exaggeration ;) )
two wrongs don't make a right

Last edited:
As I said I try to avoid it where possible.

And I actually haven't done some of the things you list.
Also just because its been done in the past doesn't make it alright to do again it in future. Thinking like this is exactly why we have serial murderers :p (only a slight exaggeration ;) )
two wrongs don't make a right

You could be right I have a little bit of a record from when I was a bit wilder when I was young lad and it has led to pilfering 5p bags from Tescos.

It is pretty much guaranteed to be the pretty much the same spec based on other recent release likes the A9II and the A7RIV.

It will have the new body shape, real time a.f, the ability to change the focus point colour and maybe an improved evf. Don't think most people are expecting much more than that, maybe they will tweak the sensor slightly for better performance at low ISO the way they did with the A9II.

For those with A7III's it will likely not be much of an upgrade but will be a good option for those with A7II's etc or those jumping from other brands.

Would be surprised if it had a flippy screen.
So it wouldn't be the same spec then ;) :p

Today's crimes so far:

The place I had my breakfast at this morning charged for the sauce sachets, I paid for 1 but took 3. :oops: :$

:ROFLMAO:

Have you never:

Drank alcohol under age?
Taken illegal drugs?
Stolen a pen from work?
Jay walked?

None today! :D

I am glad the update came for 24GM. Only lens I didn't find as responsive on A7RIV as A7RIII.

Today's crimes so far:

I haven't done any of those but I've had some impure thoughts.

I am glad the update came for 24GM. Only lens I didn't find as responsive on A7RIV as A7RIII.

Not sure I have even used the 24GM with my A7RIV, it seemed fine on the A9II any way but I went ahead and ran the updates anyway. For some reason the update for the 135 seemed to take a fair bit longer.

Not sure I have even used the 24GM with my A7RIV, it seemed fine on the A9II any way but I went ahead and ran the updates anyway. For some reason the update for the 135 seemed to take a fair bit longer.

I bought that lens back specifically to use on A7RIV :D
Now looking to get the 135GM for this body.

Makes for a great combo with such sharp glass and high res!

I bought that lens back specifically to use on A7RIV :D
Now looking to get the 135GM for this body.

Makes for a great combo with such sharp glass and high res!

They are both superb probably the best 2 lenses I have ever used.

Nothing game changing there though the real time a.f on the A7RIV isn’t as good as on the A9 and I have t been using it on mine.

To jump from an A7III to an A7RIV will likely cost about £1000 or so. The A7III‘s a.f is already plenty good, real time a.f is nice but I wouldn’t spend an extra £1000 to have it. Nor would I spend an extra £1000 just to have the ergonomics which I can’t honestly say having both makes much of a difference. I wouldn’t spend an extra £1000 for a better evf either. The A7IV will likely have all 3, but for me those are just incremental upgrades. I would rather spend a similar amount of money to upgrade the A7III’s I have left to more A9’s for similar maybe even less money.

It is very unlikely to have a different sensor, it could do but none of the rumour sites seem to think so.

I already went through that process, I value a better EVF very highly and would pay a large premium for one but ultimately ended up with an R3 because the offers made it incredibly cheap and £2k or whatever it was extra for the R4 didn't feel like a good use of money (especially as 61mp just means more work with no gain for me). It just feels like the R4 often gets dismissed as a small upgrade unfairly, imagine a Canon getting those improvements between revisions.

Going back to the A74 I don't expect major improvements but I don't think it really needs them either, sure fix the EVF/rear display, it was the worst part of using the A73 and it's out of date against other Sony products and competitors but other than that I don't think it needs much more technology upgrades, I'd rather they concentrated on fixing all the niggling software/handling/usability issues. Probably wishful thinking but it makes me think the articulating display talk might not all be hot air.

Ordered a tt350s to mess around with, looks pretty decent, haven't used flash in a while esp on such a small scale so looking forward to it. Really got to get the 360 out, hasn't even earned its keep.

@addicknchips you buy the 85? Or you back in fuji and Nikon camp?

Last edited:
Ordered a tt350s to mess around with, looks pretty decent, haven't used flash in a while esp on such a small scale so looking forward to it. Really got to get the 360 out, hasn't even earned its keep.

@addicknchips you buy the 85? Or you back in fuji and Nikon camp?

I am waiting for him to come back to my sales thread

You should have bought my tt685s :D

Jeez I feel like I have a Sony shop open in sales lol

Back