The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Ordered a tt350s to mess around with, looks pretty decent, haven't used flash in a while esp on such a small scale so looking forward to it. Really got to get the 360 out, hasn't even earned its keep.

@addicknchips you buy the 85? Or you back in fuji and Nikon camp?

got some sony and fuji stuff. on the fence about the 85. really quite fancy trying a z6 but will probably have to wait for the price to drop a bit as it fluctuates like crazy.

got some sony and fuji stuff. on the fence about the 85. really quite fancy trying a z6 but will probably have to wait for the price to drop a bit as it fluctuates like crazy.

Sounds the norm for you, both great systems. Z6 is a real bargain, Nikons future though hmmm big risks, maybe their last stand, like Sony did with e mount.

Sounds the norm for you, both great systems. Z6 is a real bargain, Nikons future though hmmm big risks, maybe their last stand, like Sony did with e mount.

you know it. i thought this would be the year i'd settle down..

i do like the look of the z6 now that the firmware updates have brought it a little closer.

I can’t understand why Nikon decided to throw their R&D into something like a 58/0.95 instead of a 35/1.4 or a 24-70/2.8 on the new mount.

get your bread and butter pro lens out, get your professionals base to shoot on it, not a halo lens that is useless for 99% of jobs.

once the lenses are there, then one body generation will be BOOM! It’s done.

I can’t understand why Nikon decided to throw their R&D into something like a 58/0.95 instead of a 35/1.4 or a 24-70/2.8 on the new mount.

get your bread and butter pro lens out, get your professionals base to shoot on it, not a halo lens that is useless for 99% of jobs.

We discussed this a few pages back....
Because they started the whole large mount is awesome thing and they had to carry on with it.
So they made larger lenses, less sharp lenses, lenses that don't AF as fast, then a huge MF lens but that's not the end... to top it all off a APS-C body with almost no APS-C lenses and an old sensor (makes EOS-M look good) which I am sure will be the biggest benefactor of the large mount.

Then there is the crazy F mount stuff. :D

But they are all well corrected for CA

They should have just pushed to get the D6 out (which they are still working on!) And the second gen Z out. One of the best moves Sony did was refresh the first experimental A7 series as soon as they had some feedback even if it was with a year! Need to keep the momentum going.

Even canon have realised this. They got their sports body out and now they are focusing on RF.

The sad part is out all the mirrorless bodies the Z bodies are really ergonomically great. They really nailed that.

Last edited:
We discussed this a few pages back....
Because they started the whole large mount is awesome thing and they had to carry on with it.
So they made larger lenses, less sharp lenses, lenses that don't AF as fast, then a huge MF lens but that's not the end... to top it all off a APS-C body with almost no APS-C lenses and an old sensor (makes EOS-M look good) which I am sure will be the biggest benefactor of the large mount.

Then there is the crazy F mount stuff. :D

But they are all well corrected for CA

They should have just pushed to get the D6 out (which they are still working on!) And the second gen Z out. One of the best moves Sony did was refresh the first experimental A7 series as soon as they had some feedback even if it was with a year! Need to keep the momentum going.

Even canon have realised this. They got their sports body out and now they are focusing on RF.

The sad part is out all the mirrorless bodies the Z bodies are really ergonomically great. They really nailed that.
Which are less sharp? 50mm is sharper, 85mm is sharper, 35mm is sharper, 24-70mm f2.8 is sharper, looking at the MTF charts the soon to be released 70-200mm f2.8 is sharper. The only one that lets it down is the 14-35mm which isn't as sharp as the 16-35mm,..... according to dxo.

The 24-70mm f2.8 z has been out a while now (y)

Which are less sharp? 50mm is sharper, 85mm is sharper, 35mm is sharper, 24-70mm f2.8 is sharper, looking at the MTF charts the soon to be released 70-200mm f2.8 is sharper. The only one that lets it down is the 14-35mm which isn't as sharp as the 16-35mm,..... according to dxo.

35mm is not sharper, neither is 50 (compared to FE55 not the cheap FE50 version), no idea about the 85mm and 24mm but wouldn't be surprised if they weren't either. They also focus slower than Sony versions.

The only sharper zoom is the 24-70mm f2.8. the 70-200/2.8 isn't that well tested yet as far as I know it's only the MFT curves that are out now but wouldn't be surprised if it was sharper.

But my point isn't which lens is tiny bit sharper that huge mount that they claimed was nirvana isn't that lol.

Last edited:
35mm is not sharper, neither is 50 (compared to FE55 not the cheap FE50 version), no idea about the 85mm and 24mm but wouldn't be surprised if they weren't either. They also focus slower than Sony versions.

The only sharper zoom is the 24-70mm f2.8. the 70-200/2.8 isn't that well tested yet as far as I know it's only the MFT curves that are out now but wouldn't be surprised if it was sharper.

But my point isn't which lens is tiny bit sharper that huge mount that they claimed was nirvana isn't that lol.
I was comparing to their previous lenses not to Sony (y)

I was comparing to their previous lenses not to Sony (y)

Fair enough then all their lenses are better IMO even the 14-30mm.

Really kinda wish Sony had that lens only a little sharper at f4 lol.
Currently I can't decide between sigma 14-24mm which seems to be the sharpest UWA zoom but heavy and 12-24mm which is good and lighter.

Last edited:
Tokina 85mm f1.8 announced...

Rumor site...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/tokina-85mm-f-1-8-fe-autofocus-lens-officially-announced/

DPR...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5042339282/tokina-launches-its-first-atx-m-lens-an-85mm-f1-8-fe-prime

Looking at that picture of the model in the high street the bokeh balls don't seem to be showing the cats eye effect you get with the Sony but other than that the bokeh seems to look a bit harsh but we'd need to see the same shot taken with the Sony or another lens to be sure if it's the Tokina not looking good or the background causing it.

Annoying to see someone in the comments complaining about the font on the side of the lens. That brings back memories for me.

Last edited:
Tokina 85mm f1.8 announced...

Rumor site...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/tokina-85mm-f-1-8-fe-autofocus-lens-officially-announced/

DPR...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5042339282/tokina-launches-its-first-atx-m-lens-an-85mm-f1-8-fe-prime

Looking at that picture of the model in the high street the bokeh balls don't seem to be showing the cats eye effect you get with the Sony but other than that the bokeh seems to look a bit harsh but we'd need to see the same shot taken with the Sony or another lens to be sure if it's the Tokina not looking good or the background causing it.

Annoying to see someone in the comments complaining about the font on the side of the lens. That brings back memories for me.

Thank God for that, at last I will be able to buy a lens suitable for portraits. :p

Apparently this is just the Viltrox 85 with different branding.

Yup.

The only real criticism I have of the Sony f1.8 is the bokeh. I'd imagine that some wouldn't buy it for just that reason so alternatives are a good thing, choice and all...

Yup.

The only real criticism I have of the Sony f1.8 is the bokeh. I'd imagine that some wouldn't buy it for just that reason so alternatives are a good thing, choice and all...

Honestly, the bokeh of the 85 1.8 didn’t ruin my wedding pictures this year, was the fugly groom that did that.

Although I do use the GM version, the 1.8 looks an excellent lens. The bokeh thing is very picky IMO.

We have both, G.M for when you want the bokeh and the FE85 for when you want something that has super fast a.f.

They both do a great job, there isn't a lens available that can do both and even if there was an 85 f/1.4 with super fast a.f it would likely be the size of a house to be able to move all that glass around.

Could be just my imagination but the FE85 seem's to me to perform much better on my A9 than it did on my A7III.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Whats the shutter lifespan of the a7r3 and the a7r4?

I'd rather have the Sony lens, purely for the set button on the lens which I use for Eye AF.

20% off Samyang @ Clifton Cameras, gets them closer to grey imports:

https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/samyang-fe-lenses-jan-sale-19

Shame it seems like qc is all over the place, interestingly ime, the 35 1.4 needed an AF adjust, you wouldn't think mirrorless lenses need that by design but clearly the dock functionality is there for good reason. Not an issue if you have a dock though. I think their lenses are a very nice cheaper option when ultimate performance isn't required, the colour cast can be adjusted according to taste very easily.

Last edited:
Thank God for that, at last I will be able to buy a lens suitable for portraits. :p

Apparently this is just the Viltrox 85 with different branding.

It certainly LOOKS like it and the weight is similar too. I really liked the optical performance of the Viltrox, but there were issues with reliability possibly caused by the lens being loose in a much larger box and getting thrown around.

Sorry The r4 is tested to 500,000 too

Back