The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If these were returns due to problems in optics I'd like to think the seller would have sent them back rather than relist them at a loss

Last edited:
Eldest wanted some headshots for her dancing, happy with this.. I'd love to see the detail of an A7RIV in this scenario, maybe one day..

49407242083_810a3e8c1d_b.jpg

Last edited:
already have slightly faster 64GB cards :)
So i will have to buy 128GB cards and that's still £200 for a matched pair

edit: if you buy something 20% slower the cost is about half that (I have a pair of these already)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexar-Professional-1667x-128GB-UHS-II/dp/B07SZ3GCC6/

hmmm..... what to do...
Those aren’t 20% slower for the write speed though. The write speed isn’t stated until the questions part which says 250MB/s read speed and 90MB/s write speed (also on their website). In camera they would be no better than the SanDisk extreme pro 90MB/s cards. It’s the write speed that’s most important for in camera use. Copying from the camera to the computer would be faster than the SanDisk extreme pro 90 MB/s but only if you have a UHS-II card reader.
There is not much point buying the cheaper UHS-II cards as they aren’t much better for write speeds than the 90 MB/s SanDisk cards. Sadly the fast UHS-II cards are very expensive and are needed for these high performing cameras.

The Lexar equivalents would be the Lexar 2000x 300MB/s read 260MB/s write but they are nearly £180 for a 128GB. You can see why the Manfrottos are tempting while they are currently half the price of the equivalent competition.

Last edited:
Those aren’t 20% slower for the write speed though. The write speed isn’t stated until the questions part which says 250MB/s read speed and 90MB/s write speed (also on their website). In camera they would be no better than the SanDisk extreme pro 90MB/s cards. It’s the write speed that’s most important for in camera use. Copying from the camera to the computer would be faster than the SanDisk extreme pro 90 MB/s but only if you have a UHS-II card reader.
There is not much point buying the cheaper UHS-II cards as they aren’t much better for write speeds than the 90 MB/s SanDisk cards. Sadly the fast UHS-II cards are very expensive and are needed for these high performing cameras.

The Lexar equivalents would be the Lexar 2000x 300MB/s read 260MB/s write but they are nearly £180 for a 128GB. You can see why the Manfrottos are tempting while they are currently half the price of the equivalent competition.

hmmm interesting point. I assumed it'd be around 200mb/s. Perhaps I should return them and buy these then. Haven't opened them yet.

Bought my sandisk 64GB SD cards (extreme pro 300mb/s ones) for £60 each on these forums.
The price is certainly very good, there is no doubt about it!

Last edited:
hmmm interesting point. I assumed it'd be around 200mb/s. Perhaps I should return them and buy these then. Haven't opened them yet.
I find if amazon are cagey about stating the read and write speeds individually the write speed is usually not anywhere near the stated speed on the card.

Do you really need 128GB cards? The manfrotto 64GB cards aren’t that much more than those 128GB cards you have bought.

Most of the time I don’t get anywhere near filling a 64GB card. My backups beyond 64GB are slower 90MB/s cards but I don’t really use them that often. I find it a pain with the A7Riii that I have to select overflow rather than backup because one slot is UHS-II and the other UHS-I but you don’t have that issue with the A7Riv. I’d be tempted to have a set of 2 fast 64GB cards then have a slower 90MB/s cards as backup for the odd times the fast cards fill up completely.

I find if amazon are cagey about stating the read and write speeds individually the write speed is usually not anywhere near the stated speed on the card.

Do you really need 128GB cards? The manfrotto 64GB cards aren’t that much more than those 128GB cards you have bought.

Most of the time I don’t get anywhere near filling a 64GB card. My backups beyond 64GB are slower 90MB/s cards but I don’t really use them that often. I find it a pain with the A7Riii that I have to select overflow rather than backup because one slot is UHS-II and the other UHS-I but you don’t have that issue with the A7Riv. I’d be tempted to have a set of 2 fast 64GB cards then have a slower 90MB/s cards as backup for the odd times the fast cards fill up completely.

I get 1000 photos on one 64GB card (compressed RAW). I can easily fill it if I am out shooting action/wildlife.

the worst part isn't even the burst shooting, put the A7RIV in pixel shift and you don't get many final photos at all!

Think I have pretty much decided to buy the 128GB cards now.

Last edited:
ordered a pair of 128gb cards from them

I would be a bit wary of those manfrotto cards. Sony bodies are very picky when it comes to cards with even the big brands like Sandisk previously having issues.

I would be a bit wary of those manfrotto cards. Sony bodies are very picky when it comes to cards with even the big brands like Sandisk previously having issues.

can always return it if they don't work. But I don't think there will be problems, I have used and still use a bunch of manufactures. I like to diversify my cards :D

We're picture light recently. Anyone got anything to post? Maybe with a new lens?

So the G Master lenses have now gone, feeling a little sad but equally happy to have released some funds :)
I’m still thinking of parting with my remaining Sony gear if I don’t start using it more.
Seem to use my iPhone more these days. :eek:

I've been thinking about selling some lenses I'm not using much and amongst them is the Nippon Kogaku 50mm f1.4 because I can't remember when I last used it. The light is poor and the TV is on which makes it horrible.

f1.4 focus on her right eye.

6S4XPQA.jpg

It's sharper at f2 and again at f2.8. This is f2.8

oX18LN2.jpg

f1.4 again.

l7snrAx.jpg

I'm having second thoughts now. It's not as good as the other 50mm f1.4's I have but it's not terrible either and the only real issue is a bit of vignetting which is easily within what CS5 will deal with. It's a very well made lens and I can imagine it and cockroaches ruling the world after WW3 :D I might take it out tomorrow and then make my mind up. I actually prefer the older f2 to this f1.4 though.

Damn. They look a lot softer hear than on my pc.

Last edited:

Sorry, close focus distance, I guess I should have put MFD ... Just looking at the leaf shot, looks like you can get nice and close. Looking on B&H it's 25cm, not bad, but magnification is poor. Still, for a WA lens it looks decent

One of my hobbies is to photo Steam locos. Often the people crowd the platform, so a wide angle lens would be better. I realise you can get distortion when you are too close, but what lens would you recommend for the Sony A73? It would be nice if it had a zoom to make it a travel lens, but not at the expense of losing too much sharpness. Hopefully not too expensive.

Back