The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Mint Sony A9 in the classifieds if anyone is interested. (shameless plug :)).

Seriously....... a day after I purchase the a7r3 you put your a9 up for sale........ You and this world are cruel.....

Another lovely photo. I think I prefer colour too, do you have this one in colour too?

Here you go, try this and without the head chopped for Keith :) The jumper does compliment the tones but I still like the mono.

49415203883_03021a44b8_b.jpg

It's not a 45 year old £50 film era 35mm lens either.

It's brand new.

Looking at lenses, some recommended on here, I hit snags like adapters. As a walk around but sharp lens, what Sigma/ Tamron lens can connect via 'e' mount with NO adapter? Otherwise for now it looks like the Sony 24-105.

Looking at lenses, some recommended on here, I hit snags like adapters. As a walk around but sharp lens, what Sigma/ Tamron lens can connect via 'e' mount with NO adapter? Otherwise for now it looks like the Sony 24-105.

I have a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, it's very good value for money, small and light weight for an f/2.8 zoom.

The new Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 is supposed to be very good, but is a bit more expensive.

There isn't really any other native options at 24-105 other than the Sony.

Have you tried the 28-70 kit lens, it actually pretty good for a kit lens and can be bought used for not much more than about £100 usually.

Don't get suckered into the Sony 24-70- f/4 its not very good.

Last edited:
Tamron 28-75/2.8
Sigma 24-70/2.8

Personally I prefer the Sony 24-105mm. There is one in sales in fact at a good price.

I have a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, it's very good value for money, small and light weight for an f/2.8 zoom.

The new Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 is supposed to be very good, but is a bit more expensive.

There isn't really any other native options at 24-105 other than the Sony.

Have you tried the 28-70 kit lens, it actually pretty good for a kit lens and can be bought used for not much more than about £100 usually.

Don't get suckered into the Sony 24-70- f/4 its not very good.

I have the Kit lens with my A7. I could sell the A7 without it, but I would prefer a longer zoom. I have the 18/135 with my A6300 & I love it, & the zoom. I don't think there is a similar full frame model.

I have the Kit lens with my A7. I could sell the A7 without it, but I would prefer a longer zoom. I have the 18/135 with my A6300 & I love it, & the zoom. I don't think there is a similar full frame model.

The closest match to the 18-135mm crop lens when you allow for the crop would be the Sony 24-240mm. Same field of view at the wide end and even longer at the long end so pretty similar.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-fe-24-240mm-f35-63-oss-lens-1569248/

Last edited:
Yes, I have looked at that one, nice range, but I'm guessing it would not be quite as sharp.
The 18-135mm isn't exactly the sharpest zoom in the tool box. They'll probably be about equal give or take.

If you want sharp try 16-55/2.8 on APS-C or 24-105/4 on FF.

24-240 is not great by the DXOmark measure (considerably worse than the Sony kit 28-70 lens, IIRC). But I bet using it stopped down a touch and avoiding the extremes of the focal lengths, it would be fine for most non-commercial photography.

The 18-135mm isn't exactly the sharpest zoom in the tool box. They'll probably be about equal give or take.

The 18-135 is actually a very good option for apsc and is definitely a sharp lens.

The 24-240 is supposed to have a bit of comma, a.f isn't very quick and it's only sharp in the centre of the frame but that's what you get with a super zoom on full frame.

Last edited:

I think I am down to 24-105. I don't mind Sigma or Sony. One is cheaper, but both get good reviews. Any thoughts? Is one smaller/ lighter than the other?

Had a play with the Sony A6600 and E 16-55mm f2.8 G lens, what a great little setup.
The E 70-350mm G OSS was also a fantastic bit of glass. :D

Sigma 24-105mm is not available in e-mount, you'd have to use an adapter.

OK, not keen on that. Is the combined Sigma & adapter longer than the Sony without, or maybe similar. I'm guessing it doesn't come with adapter? If adapter is extra I guess it would climb a tad nearer the Sony price.

I moved from the Tamron 28-75 to the Sony 24-105 and have not been disappointed. Lovely lens and I really appreciate the extra on both ends. Also, I know it shouldn't matter but it is just nicer to use build-wise.

That said, I've yet to sell my Tamron yet just in case I need that extra stop.

OK, not keen on that. Is the combined Sigma & adapter longer than the Sony without, or maybe similar. I'm guessing it doesn't come with adapter? If adapter is extra I guess it would climb a tad nearer the Sony price.
The sigma version is fair bit heavier and would be longer plus front heavy. You will need to buy the adapter separately and AF won't be as good as native.
Save yourself the trouble and just go with native. And as I said above there is one in sale for a good price.

Last edited:
Here you go, try this and without the head chopped for Keith :) The jumper does compliment the tones but I still like the mono.

The mono is good, but the colour is even better I think.

I suspect that the choice of frame, mount and where you intend to hang the portrait (décor, etc.) will all feature in determining which of the three is the 'best', as it's so close between them.

Back