The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I think I am down to 24-105. I don't mind Sigma or Sony. One is cheaper, but both get good reviews. Any thoughts? Is one smaller/ lighter than the other?

As twist already said you would need an adaptor for the Sigma, much better option to get the native Sony lens not just from a weight saving point of view but also in terms of of lens performance native is always going to be a better option. The only reason to go with an adapted lens is to save some £'s.

How did you find it? I am very happy with mine.

I bought it not long after you had tried yours out and gave your opinions on it. Which is strange because I ignore most of what you say :D
But you were right, it's a nice little lens when compared with the Sony 16-35 f4.

Thinking of selling my Sony 70-200 F4 and awaiting the Tamron 70-180. That would complete the trio and make the whole kit smaller with only 1 CPL needed.

I bought it not long after you had tried yours out and gave your opinions on it. Which is strange because I ignore most of what you say :D
But you were right, it's a nice little lens when compared with the Sony 16-35 f4.

Thinking of selling my Sony 70-200 F4 and awaiting the Tamron 70-180. That would complete the trio and make the whole kit smaller with only 1 CPL needed.

Well of course.

I already ditched my 70-200 f/4 as I just wasn't using it after getting the 135GM.

The new Tamron should be good based on the other 2 zooms but I just can't see me using a 70-200 ish again.

Tamron really seem to have their e-mount lenses pretty well nailed, possibly because of their tie up with Sony.

Last edited:
I still have some Sony gear left..... :eek:

49419874533_294ce02c8c_c.jpg

49420342136_87e368f9b0_c.jpg

49420342646_c3732ac5e6_c.jpg

49420562642_4627d891fa_c.jpg

49420343391_4eb1c7d666_c.jpg

49420343611_f3a6ebcaff_c.jpg

49419876343_bbcc751bc5_c.jpg

The mono is good, but the colour is even better I think.

I suspect that the choice of frame, mount and where you intend to hang the portrait (décor, etc.) will all feature in determining which of the three is the 'best', as it's so close between them.

You're right, but either will do for the office ;-)
I think colour too btw.

@Riz_Guru ..... Phones take snaps, Camera’s take pictures. The question you need to ask yourself is “ Are you a photographer or not” ? Anyone can point a phone and click a quick snap, but a photographer creates a picture....

I will mull it over for now...... I could always get the X100V and iPhone 12 Pro too and keep my Sony gear! lol

Best of luck trying to get photos of your kids with any version of the X100.

They really are a terrible camera for anything that moves even really slowly, perfectly matched with a lens that even Samyang would be embarrassed off.

Best of luck trying to get photos of your kids with any version of the X100.

They really are a terrible camera for anything that moves even really slowly, perfectly matched with a lens that even Samyang would be embarrassed off.

Nice to hold and look at but I gotta agree, didn't really enjoy the ones I had.

I will mull it over for now...... I could always get the X100V and iPhone 12 Pro too and keep my Sony gear! lol
I thought you were kidding tbh :eek:
@Riz_Guru ..... Phones take snaps, Camera’s take pictures. The question you need to ask yourself is “ Are you a photographer or not” ? Anyone can point a phone and click a quick snap, but a photographer creates a picture....
There’s plenty of fantastic creative photos taken with phones (y)

I thought you were kidding tbh :eek:
There’s plenty of fantastic creative photos taken with phones (y)

I am undecided tbh, I am not any doing paid / professional work etc and mostly using my gear to shoot family photos etc. Just not feeling the vibe right now.
I will most likely end up getting a new iPhone regardless and maybe hold onto my Sony setup a little while longer. :)

I am undecided tbh, I am not any doing paid / professional work etc and mostly using my gear to shoot family photos etc. Just not feeling the vibe right now.
I will most likely end up getting a new iPhone regardless and maybe hold onto my Sony setup a little while longer. :)
Very much like me, I’m pretty convinced I’ll get a 1” compact before my next holiday and that will be my holiday/day out camera and will just save the other stuff for the odd time I can be bothered to pull my finger out to take some landscapes or go to a motor racing event.

Me and Mrs WW have started to go to a vegan café and sat there the other day she says "Take my picture" and as I didn't have a camera I had to use my phone and taking just two pictures reminded me what a hateful experience it is. I just hate holding an oblong slab in front of me and jabbing at the screen. If that was the only way of taking pictures I'd probably go back to drawing and painting.

The pictures were perfectly fine for her to send to her mates but not fun to take. I can't take any pleasure from taking pictures with a phone.

I hope you give this a lot of thought.

Very much like me, I’m pretty convinced I’ll get a 1” compact before my next holiday and that will be my holiday/day out camera and will just save the other stuff for the odd time I can be bothered to pull my finger out to take some landscapes or go to a motor racing event.

Just don't pixel peep. Whole pictures can look very nice but they're often a mess at 1:1.

Me and Mrs WW have started to go to a vegan café and sat there the other day she says "Take my picture" and as I didn't have a camera I had to use my phone and taking just two pictures reminded me what a hateful experience it is. I just hate holding an oblong slab in front of me and jabbing at the screen. If that was the only way of taking pictures I'd probably go back to drawing and painting.

The pictures were perfectly fine for her to send to her mates but not fun to take. I can't take any pleasure from taking pictures with a phone.

I hope you give this a lot of thought.
I hate taking pics on a phone. The ergonomic and screen is what puts me off.

Taking pics is half about how you feel as well and sometimes using a actual camera increases are desire and feeling to capture images.

Its an emotional activity

Taking pics is half about how you feel as well and sometimes using a actual camera increases are desire and feeling to capture images.

The emotional activity can be draining though by always having to carry a bag for camera and lenses. Let's face it, a phone is the only camera your pretty much guaranteed to have with you 90% of the day. So I get the appeal of a good camera phone and why more and more people are jacking in their gear.

You can take lovely photos with a phone with a bit of thought and creativity.

I use the P30 pro and while its got a good camera, phones just arent great, phones are cumbersome, menu diving to change settings and I never take the time to import and PP in lightoom because I know I wont like the quality when viewing on a 4k monitor and theres no latitude to push the files as much as I might need to, so they just stay on my phone till I get a new one then dumped to storage.

Phone photos are okay on a small screen and for sharing to other people on mobile devices.

Last edited:
Just don't pixel peep. Whole pictures can look very nice but they're often a mess at 1:1.

To be fair, that's true of a LOT of photos taken on cameras with bigger sensors, too. But our obsession with 1:1 pixel-peeping per se is the perfect example of not being able to see the forest for the trees. (Which is how come the results from smartphones are acceptable to "real" people.)

If perfect-pixel sharpness (focus, camera shake, subject motion, etc) is the make-or-break thing for your shots, a 'proper' camera with ergonomic controls is the right answer, though.

To be fair, that's true of a LOT of photos taken on cameras with bigger sensors, too. But our obsession with 1:1 pixel-peeping per se is the perfect example of not being able to see the forest for the trees. (Which is how come the results from smartphones are acceptable to "real" people.)

If perfect-pixel sharpness (focus, camera shake, subject motion, etc) is the make-or-break thing for your shots, a 'proper' camera with ergonomic controls is the right answer, though.
I'd suggest having a decent basic image quality is ONE factor. Ever create an image that looked ok as a thumbnail but sucked at full size? It needs to be good all the way, and having it crisp is just a starting point, rather than the objective.

Well, for sure, "full-size" is what matters, but that depends on the final use. We are surely not so sad that our final use is 1:1 pixel peeping, are we? ! ;)

I've got shots which look disappointing even when downsampled to fit my 1600x900 laptop screen. But this weekend I will print a couple as tests of what they look like from a consumer-grade printer at 6x4" or so. Just as a learning exercise. I will also print my favourite pixel-peeped photo (from the Minolta 55mm on the A7ii). It's a boring test photo of a set of houses near me - I want to see how much of the lovely detail disappears at 6x4 and 8x10. Again - a learning exercise to help calibrate my brain. Later, I'll try the same with a few canvas-size photos.

FWIW, I've seen many fantastic abstract, news and street photos which would fail every sharpness test you could dream up, but look phenomenal even at exhibition size and viewing distance.

And I've also seen architectural photography which was so sharp you could get up close and see the anti-pigeon spikes on every horizontal surface. As a technical exercise, it's interesting, but I doubt it was the photographer's intention that this would be my lasting memory of his photo. :)

It's the whole feeling of the kit and also being involved in the process. With the phone there's no decision other than framing, no aperture settings or anything. I can see how it'll appeal as the phone may always be with you and the results may be good enough too but I feel no involvement and no attachment. And I always think I'm going to drop it.

For me they are all just tools. Which ever gets me the intended end results with least effort is the best tool. Simples :D

I like seeing lovely files but also I like to crop and the MFT and my A7 can usually both stand to be cropped 100%. I do know though that it's the final picture and how it will be looked at that matters and that final product is what decides my kit and the settings I use. With my Panasonic TZ100 I know before I take the picture that some cropping might be possible but not to the degree I'd crop other pictures. The TZ100 is for me best viewed as a "don't crop" camera and the picture I frame and take should be the final picture.

For me they are all just tools. Which ever gets me the intended end results with least effort is the best tool. Simples :D
This is my view too, for birds I want the camera that helps me the most with the leased effort as I often get just one chance .
Rob.

Back