The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Af isn’t a priority but I wasn’t aware of adapters that would AF
I’m looking for recommendations on adapter that perhaps forum members use or have used for him to look at purchasing.
Thanks for the advice though (y)

Get cheap ones, not metabones etc. You may need two types depending on whether the lens has a manual aperture ring or not.

NEX, E and FE are all the same mount if that helps

They may be the same mount but I once bought a Nex adapter and it vignetted badly with my 24mm lens but was ok with 28mm. This was in the early days of the A7 but I'd still be wary of buying an adapter described as "nex" unless it specifically mentioned A7 series cameras on the ad somewhere.

I have 3 Novoflex ones for my A7 and one much cheaper K&F Concept. They all work but the markings on the K&F one don't quite line up with the ones on lenses which is no real problem as it's offset by the same amount for all.

They may be the same mount but I once bought a Nex adapter and it vignetted badly with my 24mm lens but was ok with 28mm. This was in the early days of the A7 but I'd still be wary of buying an adapter described as "nex" unless it specifically mentioned A7 series cameras on the ad somewhere.

Might it have been designed for APS-C?

Sony's own LA-EA1 has a baffle to reduce the window, and a few people have removed the LA-EA1's baffle to use it on FF A7s. (Sony prefers people to buy the LA-EA3!)

Might it have been designed for APS-C?

Sony's own LA-EA1 has a baffle to reduce the window, and a few people have removed the LA-EA1's baffle to use it on FF A7s. (Sony prefers people to buy the LA-EA3!)

I assume so.

Some ads still say "Nex" but also mention A7 series in the write ups so I assume they work on FF whilst some pre A7 adapters at that time at least weren't suitable for FF. I can't remember what I did with it, I think I give it to someone with a Nex.

Anyway, the point is that although they're the same mount I wouldn't advise buying a "Nex" adapter without reading the ad thoroughly and making sure it says it's suitable for the A7 series as mine wasn't, not at 24mm anyway.

Not Sony but the competition...

Thom Hogan on Canon...

https://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/2020-mirrorless-camera/really-canon.html

An interesting bit...

"I have this sneaking suspicion that their strategy is this:
  • DSLRs go away, replaced by RF mirrorless
  • M goes away, replaced by a future RF APS-C
  • Cinema switches mounts to RF soon (or PL if you want that)
Let's tally up what camera bodies Canon is current selling (from the CanonUSA Web site):
  • 21 DSLRs — EF mount
  • 3 RF mirrorless full frame — RF mount
  • 8 M mirrorless crop sensor — M mount
  • 6 Cinema cameras (some with multiple variations) — EF or PL mount
Hmm. 27 of the cameras Canon wants to sell you today use EF lenses, while only 3 use RF lenses. Yet only RF development is continuing? See the problem?"

Jeez the Canon universe is a (relative) mess and surprising to read that the APS-C Canon M system may be short lived. I bet a lot of people in the industry are cursing Sony and mirrorless in general but IMO it had to happen and maybe the upheavals in the camera world are only just beginning.
The transition away from EF has to start somewhere. Canon are 1 year into RF after over 30 years of EF, so of course there will be more EF around still.

Canon is covering their ass, it is like Nintendo doesn't officially announce they are killing off the DS, but we all know they are.

Or Sony doesn't announce they are killing off the A mount, but we all know they are.

The PR people can say (or not say) what they want, smart people look at the market and what they are doing.

I'm looking to add a 50/55 back into my lens lineup. Previously had the Zeiss 50/1.4 and it was great but I went back to 35mm for a while and I've missed it. Before pulling the trigger on another 50/1.4 I'm also looking at the Sony 55/1.8. The size and weight is appealing but would I be compromising on IQ? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has either owned or tried both.

I'm looking to add a 50/55 back into my lens lineup. Previously had the Zeiss 50/1.4 and it was great but I went back to 35mm for a while and I've missed it. Before pulling the trigger on another 50/1.4 I'm also looking at the Sony 55/1.8. The size and weight is appealing but would I be compromising on IQ? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has either owned or tried both.

the f1.4 is slightly better but not really so much so that I would generally notice. I would go with the FE55 for the small size and weight and would go with FE50/1.4 for the f/1.4. I wouldn't really worry too much about minor difference in image quality.

I think I am the only Zeiss 50/1.4 user here.

Love it, probably my favourite lens on the system. It focuses fast, it is sharp, very little to no CA, renders nicely.

The only down side is that it isn’t 1.2 :p

It's a good lens, sharp across the frame from wide open with no real world distortion and the only real criticisms I can see are some ca which to me very mostly isn't an issue and onion rings but large bokeh balls aren't often a large part of my life.

PS.
I've been following a thread on the Voigtlander 50mm f2 apo and they included the 55mm f1.8 for comparison, page 36 here...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1625777/35

He says...

"The FE 55/1.8 was introduced in 2013 with three aspherical elements, including two double-sided,. It's currently being sold for $1,000 which is only $50 less than the new Voigtlander 50/2 APO!
It's not well corrected for CA (longitudinal and lateral), has noticeable onion-pattern in specular highlights and manual focusing is not linear.

Why does it cost so much after all these years? Perhaps because it is capable of very high resolution across the field even at wide apertures (no noticeable dips or field curvature), has fast/accurate/silent AF and it's compact/light at only 280 grams. In my view, it's a lens that does everything well from landscapes to portraits if you don't mind the uncorrected color aberrations. At wide apertures, a slight haze is visible due to SA under-correction which in turn gives images a pleasant lower contrast and smooth rendering."

One of the most important things for me is it's reasonably small and light. Not when compared to a Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.8 but when compared to the likes of the Sony and Sigma 50mm f1.4's.

Last edited:
I think I'll try the 55/1.8. I keep reading good things about it and size/weight is really appealing. Still waiting for a Sony 50GM... :rolleyes:

I think I'll try the 55/1.8. I keep reading good things about it and size/weight is really appealing. Still waiting for a Sony 50GM... :rolleyes:
I went through the same buying decision just before Xmas and went for the 55 F1.8. So happy with it - lightweight, sharp, good focus and cheap :)

the 1.4 is lovely. super sharp wide open. cannot fault it at all apart from it being a large lens and the lens hood feels like possibly the cheapest bit of tat you'll likely ever see. check the serial number for defective copies though if buying used.

the 55mm for size, weight, cost and performance is a winner though.

The A7III has just dropped too £1557 on Amazon plus there is £150 cash back. . A7IV incoming?
From what I read, the UK Amazon A7 III price was £1600 including cash back.

Anyone here cross-graded from an A7/A7ii to an A7S? How did it go, and do you miss anything you had?

I don't need the A7S' low-light video performance, but would quite like to use it for hand-held low-light stills. A lot of DP Review forum threads say that the A7Rii/iii is a better bet - because you can downsample to get the noise down. But the R is still more money than I want to pay (I'd be selling my A7ii to get a used A7S).

Perhaps I'd miss the IBIS, but I have an A6500 for the times when I want faster AF/IBIS/etc.

Anyone here cross-graded from an A7/A7ii to an A7S? How did it go, and do you miss anything you had?

I don't need the A7S' low-light video performance, but would quite like to use it for hand-held low-light stills. A lot of DP Review forum threads say that the A7Rii/iii is a better bet - because you can downsample to get the noise down. But the R is still more money than I want to pay (I'd be selling my A7ii to get a used A7S).

Perhaps I'd miss the IBIS, but I have an A6500 for the times when I want faster AF/IBIS/etc.

What are you taking photos of in low light? IBIS is more useful for static subjects, A7s obviously better for low light with moving as you can bump the shutter that little more.

Yes, this would be for street photography. I want to keep the shutter speed up to freeze movement.

Yes, this would be for street photography. I want to keep the shutter speed up to freeze movement.

What shutter speed and ISO are you losing out on? At ISO 12800 youre looking at around 2/3 stop difference between A7ii and A7s when downsized. Is 2/3 - 1 stop MAX at that ISO going to get your shutter speed fast enough to freeze? I doubt it, but only you will know the conditions.

Checked out the A7R Mk4 at Wex.....my god, it's come on a bit since the original A7R. Very impressed indeed and actually considering this than perhaps the D850 or the Fuji MF (which really is just a pipe dream given the cost of the glass!). Only issue with Nikon glass on the Sony is the lack of AF with an adapter.

Checked out the A7R Mk4 at Wex.....my god, it's come on a bit since the original A7R. Very impressed indeed and actually considering this than perhaps the D850 or the Fuji MF (which really is just a pipe dream given the cost of the glass!). Only issue with Nikon glass on the Sony is the lack of AF with an adapter.

Sell the Nikon glass and do a proper switch?

Quite heavily invested in premium Nikon glass so on the balance of things might not be worth it.
Well if MF has crossed your mind switching to Sony won't be as expensive and less of a pipe dream ;)

They have went back to the normal price now it was direct, not a third party seller etc.

Yup. I'm sure I looked when you first posted the link and it was Amazon. I wonder why that price didn't last? Clearing older stock?

That 45 looks the business on the Sony.

It's a very interesting lens made for bokeh and look rather than outright performance but as far as I remember it gives issue when used with continuous focus.

When I saw it mentioned I thought they'd sorted it with firmware but maybe not.

Yup. I'm sure I looked when you first posted the link and it was Amazon. I wonder why that price didn't last? Clearing older stock?

They may have been just price matching somewhere else and that offer has ended they often do that.

It's a very interesting lens made for bokeh and look rather than outright performance but as far as I remember it gives issue when used with continuous focus.

When I saw it mentioned I thought they'd sorted it with firmware but maybe not.

It was likely designed for the fp which again looks pretty awesome.

SF1.jpg

Nice to see a couple Samy lenses in the 'excellent' though, that 45 1.8 is one I might have interest in if I got a Sony body

Back