The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Two pictures taken with a Kippon Kogaku 50mm f1.4, wide open and f8.

Just a walk to the shops and she wanted a picture to send home.

4eazkTL.jpg

That bokeh would drive me nuts. In this pic (IMHO) it's distracting to the point of undermining the subject-background separation

I presume it's more aesthetically pleasing with dark backgrounds with fewer points of light?

That bokeh would drive me nuts. In this pic (IMHO) it's distracting to the point of undermining the subject-background separation

I presume it's more aesthetically pleasing with dark backgrounds with fewer points of light?

Smooth bokeh that aren't !

I think twigs and foliage are a torture test and with a calmer scene you do get a calmer result. It does settle down a lot by f2 and once you're into f5.6 or so and beyond no one would probably know f1.4 is so busy. f1.4 could maybe be for just the uncluttered f1.4 friendly scenes, like people shots with a friendly background and lighting, or could be seen as for low light emergency use. At f2 and beyond it could very possibly blend in well with many film era lenses.

I actually quite like the business sometimes as a bit of an antidote to the different look you get from the modern huge f1.4's and a bigger issue for me is the flare, blooming and lack of contrast and all that is worse in harsh light but I'd normally take pictures like the above at f5.6/f8 so the business isn't really an issue. I prefer the f2 version but this f1.4 IMO performs well enough at f2 and beyond to leave the only issues being the extra bulk and weight.

I have the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 if I want very limited DoF and a smoother end result with a busy background.

They have a following and there's a thread in this section somewhere.

I don't think this lens gives the same look and the swirly bokeh isn't there either. As I said above, the closest I've had to this early Nikon is the M mount Voigtlander 35mm f1.4. I have the newer Sony mount version and it too is busy at f1.4 but IMO excellent stopped down apart from the extreme corners. Actually I think lenses like this give a great look stopped down to f5.6/f8. For those sort of apertures my favorite lenses are all older ones apart from the e mount Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

Question relating to the A7 III : The 'AEL with Shutter' option (Menu 1, page 10) and setting different options to the C1 and C2 mode dial.

Can anyone else get the 'AEL with Shutter' option saved to the C mode dial settings?
  • I'm setting up C1 to be portrait settings, with the exposure locked when I hold the shutter button. i.e Focus on a face and re-compose with exposure locked to face settings.
  • C2 is Action and I don't want the exposure locked with the shutter, So that when I'm holding the shutter for multi frames the exposure is changing to suit the scene.
However, my problem is the 'AEL with shutter' option doesn't want to save with the rest of the settings for 1 or 2. It's either set to on for everything or off :banghead:

Last edited:
One last one. This is stopped down a bit and just passed minimum focus distance at which some lenses are pretty weak but this does ok imo and imo there's nothing really wrong with the bokeh despite the busy scene :D

Unwv2QH.jpg

I think it's just important to choose when you use f1.4.

The Jupiter's swirl, that just looks a mess.

More likely the Helios 44 range he's thinking, also does nice swirl. But that swirl only occurs at specific subject to backdrop distances, it can be pretty straight forward otherwise and not as busy as the image above. I imagine woof probably has at least one copy of that too.

I did and for that very reason.

Although I do have to say that if I showed you with and without I don't think you'd be able to pick :D

Just spent £400 on tyres....boooooooo

But what needs must and all that.

Ouch.... mine will cost £800, hopefully won’t be for sometime as just spent £1600 approx. on the missis motor which was a combination of tyres, accidents and insurance excess!!! :eek:

Last edited:
Ouch.... mine will cost £800, hopefully won’t be for sometime as just spending £1600 on the missis motor which was a combination of tyres, accidents and insurance excess!!! :eek:

That's just the tyres but it's a good price for what i have. Since I have only 17" rims, it's not too expensive relatively speaking. I am putting on some Michelin PS4. Next month is tax, MOT and service. That is going to be £1k together!

Last edited:
What printer
Canon Selphy CP-910 (old model). Just ordered 216 more prints for £48.50, works out to 22p per print.
The new model is the Selphy CP-1300, but they are more or less the same in terms of PQ/IQ etc. :)
When printing out in small print sizes, you will truly realise that their is very little difference in terms of IQ between a high-end smart phone and FF body. :eek:

Last edited:
Canon Selphy CP-910 (old model). Just ordered 216 more prints for £48.50, works out to 22p per print.
The new model is the Selphy CP-1300, but they are more or less the same in terms of PQ/IQ etc. :)
When printing out in small print sizes, you will truly realise that their is very little difference in terms of IQ between a high-end smart phone and FF body. :eek:

I have the same printer. My missus uses it to make family albums. I use it mostly for passport size ID photos :D
Yes CP-910 has the same dye-sub tech as in the latest selphy printers. I will upgrade if and when they get something better out in term of IQ.

I have the same printer. My missus uses it to make family albums. I use it mostly for passport size ID photos :D
Yes CP-910 has the same dye-sub tech as in the latest selphy printers. I will upgrade if and when they get something better out in term of IQ.
I have had a look around and I think 6x4 print sizes seem the norm, bigger dye-sub printers are way more expensive and I don't really want to go down the route of printing large A4/A3 prints.
Going to stick with the Selphy and build up our photo album. :)

I can count in 1 hand the number of prints I have made from my own photos for myself, it is so few that I have realised it is not worth the trouble of getting a nice printer, I do have a Canon printer but it was cheap like £50. Next print i am making will be my Mt Fuji photo,

@nandbytes @Riz_Guru Have you guys used a good photo printer like a Canon pro? Whats the print quality like in comparison?

I have canon PIXMA ip8750 which I use for A4-A3+ prints. its definitely a level better than the selphy but for a 6x4 the difference is less noticeable and honestly for family prints is good enough. I have 6x4 paper for the PIXMA but I haven't used any more than a couple because selphy is good enough at the size.

@nandbytes @Riz_Guru Have you guys used a good photo printer like a Canon pro? Whats the print quality like in comparison?
Unfortunately used them, but I have seen stunning results from both the Canon 100 / 1 Pro photo printers at shows etc and if I was in the market for one, it would be one of these.
If you have room to store the printer, hang / display or sell the the photos, then investing in a professional large printer can be worth it, but the cost per print will no doubt be significantly higher than something like the Selphy lol :D

Unfortunately used them, but I have seen stunning results from both the Canon 100 / 1 Pro photo printers at shows etc and if I was in the market for one, it would be one of these.
If you have room to store the printer, hang / display or sell the the photos, then investing in a professional large printer can be worth it, but the cost per print will no doubt be significantly higher than something like the Selphy lol :D

I have the Canon pro on a tank system so prints are ridiculously cheap but its a hassle setting up, keeping head clean etc etc, just considering something small and fast for instant randoms. I usually go for printed photobooks these days as they can be had for decent money and no work sticking into an album but the Selphy looks alright. Ill need to check out some samples somewhere.

Thanks also @nandbytes

Last edited:
I have canon PIXMA ip8750 which I use for A4-A3+ prints. its definitely a level better than the selphy but for a 6x4 the difference is less noticeable and honestly for family prints is good enough. I have 6x4 paper for the PIXMA but I haven't used any more than a couple because Selphy is good enough at the size.
Yeah, I am finding the 6x4 prints good enough vs cost.
Also finding that iPhone photos look great printed out when compared to my A9 shots. :eek:

I have the Canon pro on a tank system so prints are ridiculously cheap but its a hassle setting up, keeping head clean etc etc, just considering something small and fast for instant randoms. I usually go for printed photobooks these days as they can be had for decent money and no work sticking into an album but the Selphy looks alright. Ill need to check out some samples somewhere.
I'd highly recommend the Selphy, you can even get a rechargeable battery for it for truly on-the go photo printing.... :D
I should be having a 500 page photo album being delivered today, so my Selphy is going to have a good workout lol.

Wow, for a second I thought the lens was faulty, then wrenched my eyes away towards the hat and subject.
Wondering if the effect could be used in an artistic way? I simply can't concentrate on Her, my eyes naturally go from the blue on the left round and down to the ball of flare, then back around.
Never heard of a Kippon till now.

Two pictures taken with a Kippon Kogaku 50mm f1.4, wide open and f8.

Just a walk to the shops and she wanted a picture to send home.

4eazkTL.jpg

Wow, for a second I thought the lens was faulty, then wrenched my eyes away towards the hat and subject.
Wondering if the effect could be used in an artistic way? I simply can't concentrate on Her, my eyes naturally go from the blue on the left round and down to the ball of flare, then back around.
Never heard of a Kippon till now.

Supposed to be Nippon Kogaku (nikon)

I'd highly recommend the Selphy, you can even get a rechargeable battery for it for truly on-the go photo printing.... :D
I should be having a 500 page photo album being delivered today, so my Selphy is going to have a good workout lol.

I still have a Selphy,battery and mains adaptor but not used it in years.

Has the cost of printing from it reduced now as it used to work out very expensive.

Was looking through the thousands of images i have taken over the years at motorsport the other day and really need to do a few coffee table books now i have quit doing it full time.

I've not got the space or patience for printing my own stuff. When I divorced in 2013 & the kids were about 6 & 8 every January I used to do a 200 image photo album of all the things I done with them, places we went, days out, over the park, holidays, etc etc This went on for a few years & the cost of printing was well worth the outcome :)

My mum also has a handful of big (18x12 I think) framed prints of her, stepdad & my two kids & also a lovely one I took of them both together. I have a holiday one of me, my girlfriend & my two on the wall in our bedroom & a triple framed image of us both from our early days!!

I've not printed anything for a while now but when we re-decorate I'm going to do a handful of large prints for around the house.

Not when you use a good printer on cashback with a tank system, it's way cheaper and the quality is better... Especially when you use nice stock.

Yep this.

Tbh even if the cost was slightly more, nothing beats the feeling of going through the process end to end and doing it all yourself.

Yep this.

Tbh even if the cost was slightly more, nothing beats the feeling of going through the process end to end and doing it all yourself.

It is a nice process but it's a pita and expensive to get it calibrated 100%, (but so is going back and forth to a printer to get it perfect, once that's done the quality is insane and it's cheap) . I'm feeling the need to fill the tanks and clean the head ha ha.

Last edited:
Back