The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If that's the case then I could take the cash and get a new one from e-infinity but I'm not sure if I want to take the risk.
I'm never quite sure how to describe the items, some of them are marginal excellent /as new or good /excellent, can I trust them to make a decision in my favour? Wex have done so in the past.
MPB have always met my grading. They haven’t ever dropped it lower than quoted. WEX did up my grading when I’d traded a 200-400 f4 to them. I’d put it down as ‘excellent’ (it was 10 years old but in fantastic condition with everything in the original boxes) but they upped it to ‘nearly new’.

the prices they offered me for anything have been far under used market prices, I find. well that was the case.. now the favourite tactic seems to be to get a MPB quote and fire that back to the seller. cause you can guarantee the price of any lens they offer is at least £200 less than people post on here.
I find people want to buy from you at MPB trade in prices forgetting you get free post to MPB.

The classifieds on here worked well for me recently. It was quite trouble free and things moved quickly which is weird for on here.

That's pretty brutal, who wants to tie up all that money in stock they can't move for months?
It’s crazy isn’t it. I’d have thought their trade in for cash values would plummet if they already had a high number in stock. Supply and demand and all that.

they're a business and have to make a profit, so it should not be a surprise to anyone that their trade in prices are lot less than used market prices.
they also pay vat and offer a warranty.
I sold them a few items recently that I had listed on here but got no interest. Ended up getting more, and no postage costs or hassle.
Yep MPB have to cost their costs. The cost scale should be:

MPB trade in
Private sale
MPB sale
New

But lots of people want it as cheap as possible hence grey imports do so well.

Thought the weather was OK today so headed up to Earl Sterndale just south of Buxton - about 45 mins from where I live.

I had no idea that the wind was soooooo strong - it nearly knocked me off my feet and took my 5 month old Bedlington puppy with it !! He's still traumatised !!

Almost impossible to get any decent shots - I'd also forgotten my coat which meant I was freezing cold !!!

So a tribute to Sony's IBIS that I got any short of shot at all !

Last edited:
Thought the weather was OK today so headed up to Earl Sterndale just south of Buxton - about 45 mins from where I live.

I had no idea that the wind was soooooo strong - it nearly knocked me off my feet and took my 5 month old Bedlington puppy with it !! He's still traumatised !!

Almost impossible to get any decent shots - I'd also forgotten my coat which meant I was freezing cold !!!

So a tribute to Sony's IBIS that I got any short of shot at all !

Nice shots. What neck of the woods are you from then as I’m only about 40 mins from Earl Sterndale?

I've found that the key to taking pictures in weather you can hardly stand up in is shutter speed, as in lots of it and when it's like that I can't imagine IS helping as not only are me and the camera moving but the world is too... as in grass, trees or whatever's there is being blown about. I was on the beach here once and it was so windy it blew my screen protector off (it had lifted in the corner) and it nearly took my eye out as it flew past my face. Such fun :D

Not long home from the first wedding I have shot using only the A9II and A9's. Every time I use these I can't help but be impressed.

Also decided to go a bit lighter today so left my 85GM at home, the FE85 did a pretty good job but I really missed the 85GM for some things so won't be doing that again. :D

Not long home from the first wedding I have shot using only the A9II and A9's. Every time I use these I can't help but be impressed.

Also decided to go a bit lighter today so left my 85GM at home, the FE85 did a pretty good job but I really missed the 85GM for some things so won't be doing that again. :D

What? The f1.4? The non cats eye bokeh?

I've never tried the f1.4 but afaik the advantages of the f1.8 are fast focus and light weight, the disadvantages being f1.8 rather than f1.4 and the questionable bokeh so I'd be interested in knowing what a usual f1.4 user thinks.

I wont be swapping though as although I'd like different bokeh from the f1.8 it's not a length I use a lot so I can put up with it.

I've never tried the f1.4 but afaik the advantages of the f1.8 are fast focus and light weight, the disadvantages being f1.8 rather than f1.4 and the questionable bokeh so I'd be interested in knowing what a usual f1.4 user thinks.

I wont be swapping though as although I'd like different bokeh from the f1.8 it's not a length I use a lot so I can put up with it.

The FE85 is a decent enough lens, I think I will start using it a bit more. For today's wedding I used an 85 a lot more than normal as the bride got ready in here Mum & Dad's house which was huge, so I had a lot more room than normal. I wouldn't normally have the room to use an 85 for getting ready. The faster a.f is a real advantage for capturing off the cuff stuff.

I took the FE85 as I knew today's ceremony was going to be in a modern style church which wouldn't have any real lighting issues so knew I wouldn't need the 85GM, to be fair the f/1.8 lens would be fine for even dimly lit ceremonies. I haven't used the FE85 much in a while, so today was a good chance to give it a run out.

Where it lacked was just with the portraits, I have grown so used to the creamy bokeh of the 85GM and the GM lens has much less C.A. I might start bringing them both and use the FE85 for getting ready when I have the room and the ceremony and just crack open the 85GM for the portraits to save a bit of weight throughout the earlier part of the day.

Also took the Sony 35 f/1.8 and left the Sigma Art 35 at home. Again like with the 85's it has faster a.f than the Sigma. Have been using the 35 f/1.8 a lot lately. Yeah O.O.F areas aren't nice and there is more fringing but it does a pretty good job and the weight and a.f speed difference is a real advantage.

Last edited:

I’ve had both and the GM is one big beast.
For shooting my kids / family portraits etc the 1.8 is good enough.
The GM is still the best though. :)

When using PD slide or slide lite can you get something that allows you to attach an anchor to the 70-200 tripod foot or something that screws in to the tripod mount itself to allow you to attach an anchor?

My missus would disagree with you [emoji14]
She can tell the difference between the pictures taken with FE85 and 85GM [emoji33]

I may pickup a set of GM primes in the future but going to utilise the money I got from selling my GM elsewhere for now, mainly toward a family holiday [emoji4]
Oh and a iPad Pro for post processing [emoji50]

Last edited:
Edited on iPhone XR using Darkroom and A200 filter. No other adjustments.
Sony A9 + FE 85mm f1.8

49476274018_8e743d4e68_c.jpg

Sony repair question:

My A7ii works just fine, but the back-panel dial is rather finicky. The left button (Drive) has a VERY light action - not the same positive click as the right button (ISO). The up (DISP) and down buttons are somewhere between. Sometimes, when spinning the dial around, it's also easy to accidentally press the button and bring up the drive options. The A6500/A6000/RX100 that I've had have all been perfect, so this grates a bit.

I'd guess that the little micro-tactile switch assembly is wearing out. I've seen from the LensRental tear-down video that this is on a small circuit board, so ought to be a quick swap-in replacement job, not a big repair.

Anyone have any ideas on likely cost and/or recommendation for a repairer?

(FWIW, my local shop, Campkins, sits opposite Kings College and I doubt that their rent allows them to be super competitive on repair pricing.)

Sony repair question:

My A7ii works just fine, but the back-panel dial is rather finicky. The left button (Drive) has a VERY light action - not the same positive click as the right button (ISO). The up (DISP) and down buttons are somewhere between. Sometimes, when spinning the dial around, it's also easy to accidentally press the button and bring up the drive options. The A6500/A6000/RX100 that I've had have all been perfect, so this grates a bit.

I'd guess that the little micro-tactile switch assembly is wearing out. I've seen from the LensRental tear-down video that this is on a small circuit board, so ought to be a quick swap-in replacement job, not a big repair.

Anyone have any ideas on likely cost and/or recommendation for a repairer?

(FWIW, my local shop, Campkins, sits opposite Kings College and I doubt that their rent allows them to be super competitive on repair pricing.)

9BC47DAD-08F4-4440-B8A2-82361DA5527A.jpeg

Hi all, I rented an A7rii and 70-200 f4 combo from Fat Llama last week, and loved it, so have ordered the camera and the 55 f1.8 from e-infinity to start with. It’s been a while since I’ve had that sort of resolution and remembered why I love it, I’m a massive pixel peeper!! Here’s a couple from the rental;

DSC06180.JPG

DSC06243.jpg

Thought they didn’t do the fixed price anymore

There seems to be a fair bit of confusion about it, they aren’t advertising that they offer it any more and if you ask for a straight quote they don’t offer it but a few people have said that if you just ask for fixed price repair they will do it.

I took my Voigtlander 50mm f2 to the shops with me today. There's no great pictures as it's just the walk to the shops and there isn't much to take pictures of but I wanted to see what it performed like and if I could see any fringing, and I can't. It does seem to be sharp at any aperture.

The posting process will probably make these look soft so I don't know why I'm bothering, but I will. Two 100% crops and three whole pictures.

eG6luGU.jpg

GBQ38iS.jpg

r0Bn7as.jpg

BFL7D9C.jpg

6bwMLFY.jpg

Someone on FM whinged about the amount of focus throw near infinity but I can't see an issue and it seems fine to me with plenty of adjustment. Maybe it's a problem on high mp count bodies but there seems to be so much adjustment that until I try it and prove myself wrong I just can't see it being a problem.

I took my Voigtlander 50mm f2 to the shops with me today. There's no great pictures as it's just the walk to the shops and there isn't much to take pictures of but I wanted to see what it performed like and if I could see any fringing, and I can't. It does seem to be sharp at any aperture.

The posting process will probably make these look soft so I don't know why I'm bothering, but I will. Two 100% crops and three whole pictures.

eG6luGU.jpg

GBQ38iS.jpg

r0Bn7as.jpg

BFL7D9C.jpg

6bwMLFY.jpg

Someone on FM whinged about the amount of focus throw near infinity but I can't see an issue and it seems fine to me with plenty of adjustment. Maybe it's a problem on high mp count bodies but there seems to be so much adjustment that until I try it and prove myself wrong I just can't see it being a problem.

Glad you like it and finally decided on the purchase! Hope you soon get the chance to use it in anger!

The one niggle about the 40/1.2....... the focus breathing (I think they call it) which stops any chance of focus stacking for the odd landscape.

I've never bothered with that. Buying this was really just to see what it's like.

I suppose it might be the best 50mm I have but I think it'll only show a lead over the Sony 55mm f1.8 when ca/fringing or whatever the correct term is would be a big issue which for me will be few and far between. For most people the Sony will be the better buy for the AF.

At least now I have a selection of nice modern mf lenses, the 35mm f1.4 for most things, the 40mm f1.2 for when I want smoother bokeh and the 50mm f2 for technical excellence. It's early days with the 50mm but so far I have to say that I prefer the 35mm f1.4. That'd probably be my pick if I could only keep one but luckily Mrs WW doesn't seem to care and in fact if I let her she'd buy the things for me :D

It was in my mind to sell some film era lenses but I don't know if I will as it's a hassle and it's not like they need walking or feeding, they're just there if I want them.

Advice please with telephoto lenses, Sony or third party for my Sony A7 III. I would prefer the lens to be an 'E' mount. If I had to use a mount what is the best? Under £2000-00, way under if possible. I do have the Sony 70-400 at present, but I will sell it, as I really want an 'e' mount.

Advice please with telephoto lenses, Sony or third party for my Sony A7 III. I would prefer the lens to be an 'E' mount. If I had to use a mount what is the best? Under £2000-00, way under if possible. I do have the Sony 70-400 at present, but I will sell it, as I really want an 'e' mount.

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3998/sony_fe_200-600mm_f/5.6-6.3_g_oss_lens_(sel200600g) £1389

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/337..._gm_oss_full_frame_e-mount_lens_(sel100400gm) £1539

Is there anybody there... post a picture for "Yes" and two for "No."

Two I've been looking at today.

85OBnBv.jpg

cNoTNoU.jpg

This (Voigtlander 50mm f2) definitely gives a different look to the V 35mm f1.4.

Back