The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Advice please with telephoto lenses, Sony or third party for my Sony A7 III. I would prefer the lens to be an 'E' mount. If I had to use a mount what is the best? Under £2000-00, way under if possible. I do have the Sony 70-400 at present, but I will sell it, as I really want an 'e' mount.

Both are stellar zoom lenses but both have slightly different characteristics which may affect your decision. The 100-400 is obviously smaller and lighter but has a very short minimum focus distance with the ability to produce "macro-like" images. The 200-600 does not need a teleconverter to reach the magical 600mm, the 100-400 gets to 560mm with a 1.4x converter but with the loss of 2/3 of a stop of light. There are of course other differences.

Having said all that, if I had neither lens and was making a choice I'd almost certainly go for the 200-600 but as I already have the 100-400 I see no real world advantage for me in swapping.

Last edited:
Thank you. I did see a comparrison by Googling. My 70-400 is a good sharp lens, but did seem slow to focus on my A6300 & A7. I assum e both the new lenses will be faster, & of course don't need an adapter.

Another lens I would like is a light walk around lens, something like a pancake lens. I don't want to go much above 18mm. Googling comes up with little, some suggest another make with an adapter. I'm happy with the 24-105 & it will be with me for quite some while, but it is too big for some situations when I only want to take a small lighter lens with me.

Another lens I would like is a light walk around lens, something like a pancake lens. I don't want to go much above 18mm. Googling comes up with little, some suggest another make with an adapter. I'm happy with the 24-105 & it will be with me for quite some while, but it is too big for some situations when I only want to take a small lighter lens with me.

Samyang 18mm is as small as your going to get.
Not shot a lot with it but for the price I’m happy with what I have. Was reduced at Clifton camera with 12m int free.

Thought the weather was OK today so headed up to Earl Sterndale just south of Buxton - about 45 mins from where I live.

I had no idea that the wind was soooooo strong - it nearly knocked me off my feet and took my 5 month old Bedlington puppy with it !! He's still traumatised !!

Almost impossible to get any decent shots - I'd also forgotten my coat which meant I was freezing cold !!!

So a tribute to Sony's IBIS that I got any short of shot at all !

Nice shots. Interesting shapes in those hills :)

Both are stellar zoom lenses but both have slightly different characteristics which may affect your decision. The 100-400 is obviously smaller and lighter but has a very short minimum focus distance with the ability to produce "macro-like" images. The 200-600 does not need a teleconverter to reach the magical 600mm, the 100-400 gets to 560mm with a 1.4x converter but with the loss of 2/3 of a stop of light. There are of course other differences.

Having said all that, if I had neither lens and was making a choice I'd almost certainly go for the 200-600 but as I already have the 100-400 I see no real world advantage for me in swapping.
I don’t think it’s an easy choice to make and a lot depends on the individual photographers needs.

The two questions I’d ask are:

1/ do you need 600mm or would 400mm be sufficient?

2/ do you want small and compact or can you deal with larger and heavier?

Every photographer will answer these questions differently as ours needs and styles are different. It partly depends our our individual styles too and the locations we visit. Sadly its a bit like the three bears but with fact neither meets everyone’s requirements.

At the moment I’m definitely in the 100-400 camp. It suits what I do and how I do it. I can foresee me thinking about getting a 200-600 in the future, especially if the price is right but it would most likely be in addition to the 100-400 and not as a replacement for it (I like small, light and compact far too much). I don’t see myself going down the teleconverter route as f8 would be too limiting forms due to the light available at the time of day I often shoot in.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either option really. You just need to workout what’s most important to you.

I've been shooting with the 1.4 TC on the 100-400 for about 18 months now and only rarely have I felt the need to remove it because of poor quality of light.

This was on the A7R3 and the AF performance in poor light was probably a factor. The A7R3 is the best spec camera I have ever used but it wasn't stellar in focusing on little birds in low light, which is why I'm switching to the A9 :D

Not that Sony's roadmap is more important than the human/social cost of the coronavirus, but unsurprisingly news is coming out that the roadmap of camera/FE len releases could be significantly delayed including the A7 iv,

Not that Sony's roadmap is more important than the human/social cost of the coronavirus, but unsurprisingly news is coming out that the roadmap of camera/FE len releases could be significantly delayed including the A7 iv,
Everything will be delayed lol the whole world relies on China for many things

Everything will be delayed lol the whole world relies on China for many things

Yes, those of us old enough to remember the Kobe earthquake will remember that our demand for electronic goods is a pretty low priority.

Took a 30 min drive here yesterday - Snerkler might recognise it as its pretty close to Chesterfield and just above Ashover.

Never been before and although it was a beatiful day not the best for photographs - marked down as one to return to on a late summer evening when the heather is out.

Still very pleased with the Samyang 18mm.

Last edited:
First new lens of 2020!

q49AASJ.jpg

Fair enough :) - I assume the Sigma will probably be slightly better than the Tamron (plus the extra 4mm) but it's a good few hundred extra (and heavier knowing Sigma :LOL:).

Fair enough :) - I assume the Sigma will probably be slightly better than the Tamron (plus the extra 4mm) but it's a good few hundred extra (and heavier knowing Sigma :LOL:).

It's no heavier than my Canon 24-70L mk1. This is smaller than that too. That is the only comparison I have.

82mm front filter thread though....

Mmm Sony 12-24 f/2.8 GM coming, can’t see that one being for me.

Does anyone know if a lowepro flipside 300 will hold my A7ii and a 200-600mm in the middle section?
The top zipped compartment is removable.

camera-backpacks-flipside-300-awii-stuffed-alt-sq-lp37127-config.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know if a lowepro 300 will hold my A7ii and a 200-600mm in the middle section?
The top zipped compartment is removable.

View attachment 268019
Is that the flip side 300? I used to use a Nikon 300mm f2.8 in the older flip side 300 attached to a D7100. That fitted ok. Seem to think with the removable pouch in place. The 300mm f2.8 is 27cm on its own. With a Nikon camera attached it’s probably 32-33 cm long. The 200-600 is 32cm long on its own. The flip side 300 aw ii is supposed to be 40.5cm internal length so I’d suspect it should fit in the bag with the 200-600 attached to an A7ii.

Is that the flip side 300? I used to use a Nikon 300mm f2.8 in the older flip side 300 attached to a D7100. That fitted ok. Seem to think with the removable pouch in place. The 300mm f2.8 is 27cm on its own. With a Nikon camera attached it’s probably 32-33 cm long. The 200-600 is 32cm long on its own. The flip side 300 aw ii is supposed to be 40.5cm internal length so I’d suspect it should fit in the bag with the 200-600 attached to an A7ii.
Hi,
Yeah, flipside 300.
I've edited it to say that now.
So it looks like it should fit?.
I'm sure it was a flipside 300 that I used with my D7000 and sigma 150-600mm but can't be 100% sure.

It was a while ago I had a flipside 300. Which do you already have? The bag or the lens?
I'm awaiting delivery of the lens :)
I've had a 200, 300 and 400 in the past.
I know the 400 was too big and I'm sure I went for the 300 as it held the d7000 and 150-600 no problem.
I think the 300 may work.

I
I'm awaiting delivery of the lens :)
I've had a 200, 300 and 400 in the past.
I know the 400 was too big and I'm sure I went for the 300 as it held the d7000 and 150-600 no problem.
I think the 300 may work.
seem to remember the top end of those bags where the removable pouch is curved upwards. Probably not much of an issue as the A7 bodies are smaller in height.

Last edited:
I was out this morning. I was following an Otter when another photographer came up. He asked what I was looking at then stood there for a moment then walked off. The Otter was just about visible in the vegetation. I guess because my camera wasn't making any noise he thought I wasn't actually photographing anything and just walked off. The lack of noise seems to make people think you aren't actually taking photos.

I was out this morning. I was following an Otter when another photographer came up. He asked what I was looking at then stood there for a moment then walked off. The Otter was just about visible in the vegetation. I guess because my camera wasn't making any noise he thought I wasn't actually photographing anything and just walked off. The lack of noise seems to make people think you aren't actually taking photos.

I had a couple during an engagement shoot to ask me to turn the shutter back on.

Back