The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So barring some unforeseen event I’m selling all of my Olly and Nikon gear and buying an A7R IV so I have a few questions.

1. Do lexar UHS-II cards play nice with Sony?

2. When reviewing images is there a quick way to zoom 1:1 at the focus point?

3. Are there any good third party battery grips or would you recommend buying Sony?

4. Any issues with third party batteries such as Ex-Pro?

So barring some unforeseen event I’m selling all of my Olly and Nikon gear and buying an A7R IV so I have a few questions.

3. Are there any good third party battery grips or would you recommend buying Sony?

1) Yes
2) When you zoom to 1:1 it automatically zooms to the AF point.
3) Some had issues like showing a warning but still work.

1) Yes
2) When you zoom to 1:1 it automatically zooms to the AF point.
3) Some had issues like showing a warning but still work.
Thanks, how do you zoom to 1:1, press the centre button?

Lots of reported issues with Lexar cards and Sony. 2 safest brands are the Sony cards and Integral cards.

Ex-Pro will give an in camera warning and battery percentage isn’t reliable. The newer Rav Power batteries don’t give a warning but don’t last as long. Better to get an original battery really. Jessops often have them on offer using code BATTERY10. Be careful even when buying original as there are lots of very good fakes on eBay etc.

Lots of reported issues with Lexar cards and Sony. 2 safest brands are the Sony cards and Integral cards.

Ex-Pro will give an in camera warning and battery percentage isn’t reliable. The newer Rav Power batteries don’t give a warning but don’t last as long. Better to get an original battery really. Jessops often have them on offer using code BATTERY10. Be careful even when buying original as there are lots of very good fakes on eBay etc.
Thanks. I usually use Sandisk cards but the lexar are cheaper which is why I was looking at them, but from what you’re saying Sandisk aren’t a good choice either?

Thanks. I usually use Sandisk cards but the lexar are cheaper which is why I was looking at them, but from what you’re saying Sandisk aren’t a good choice either?

There was problems a while back with Sandisk cards but it was fixed with a firmware update but that and having had a few Sandisks cards corrupt I no longer trust them personally.

There was problems a while back with Sandisk cards but it was fixed with a firmware update but that and having had a few Sandisks cards corrupt I no longer trust them personally.
Ok thanks, I’ll bear that in mind.

On another note does anyone know of a free/cheap way to get Gary Friedman’s book on the A7R IV, I find his books much better than the manuals.

Buys a £3500 camera but cheaps out by asking for a pirated version of a book. :rolleyes:

Also....

Needs a book to work a camera. :rolleyes:
Wasn’t asking for pirated, sometimes offers come up like the free luminar 3 software I got a few weeks ago (y)

Sometimes there’s a useful bit of info, for example when I had the A77 there were a couple of useful functions I wasn’t aware of. I like to be aware of every feature ;)

So you’re going for it then?
Now I'm jealous as I have to wait until May :(

So you’re going for it then?
Now I'm jealous as I have to wait until May :(
Looks highly likely. Still ‘negotiating’ prices on my gear and just want to double check the ergonomics of the Sony as it was a while ago since I handled one.

This will be the initial shopping list.

A7RIV
Samyang 24mm f2.8
Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 (was going to get the Samyang but the Sony is weather sealed so makes more sense for a walkabout lens)
Samyang 45mm f1.8
Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 (when released)
Sony 100-400mm.

I then need to decide whether the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 or Sony 16-35mm f4 is going to be better for me. I was going to get the Sony 24-70mm f4 but I’m worried about the distortion at the corners and edges.

Looks highly likely. Still ‘negotiating’ prices on my gear and just want to double check the ergonomics of the Sony as it was a while ago since I handled one.

A7RIV
Samyang 24mm f2.8
Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 (was going to get the Samyang but the Sony is weather sealed so makes more sense for a walkabout lens)
Samyang 45mm f1.8
Sony 100-400mm.

I then need to decide whether the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 or Sony 16-35mm f4 is going to be better for me. I was going to get the Sony 24-70mm f4 but I’m worried about the distortion at the corners and edges.

A7RIV
Samyang 24mm f2.8
Samyang 45mm f1.8
Sony 100-400mm.

That looks a very well balanced system to me.
I’ll definitely be going for the Sony 100-400 + 1.4extender and the Tamron 28-75 f2.8.
Primes are still under consideration for me, they’re less important for my shooting but I do like to have a dedicated portrait lens so maybe the 85 f1.8 would be an option.
As I’ve said before, time is on my side (unfortunately!) so lots still to be decided.
I hope you get the prices you need for your kit and more importantly, your mojo back!!

A7RIV
Samyang 24mm f2.8
Samyang 45mm f1.8
Sony 100-400mm.

I'd be surprises if the Samyang 24mm is good enough to resolve that sensor, its not the best lens on 24mp.

There is the new Sigma 24-70 that may negate the need for some of the other lenses?

A7RIV
Samyang 24mm f2.8
Samyang 45mm f1.8
Sony 100-400mm.

Tamron have a trio of new 2.8 primes to consider also, 20, 24 and 35mm - all three do 1:2 macro. Not sure if they are any good though, maybe someone here has tried them? They are cheap as chips, which is nice. Worth it for that magnification alone at the price if they are even halfway decent

That looks a very well balanced system to me.
I’ll definitely be going for the Sony 100-400 + 1.4extender and the Tamron 28-75 f2.8.
Primes are still under consideration for me, they’re less important for my shooting but I do like to have a dedicated portrait lens so maybe the 85 f1.8 would be an option.
As I’ve said before, time is on my side (unfortunately!) so lots still to be decided.
I hope you get the prices you need for your kit and more importantly, your mojo back!!
I'd be surprises if the Samyang 24mm is good enough to resolve that sensor, its not the best lens on 24mp.

There is the new Sigma 24-70 that may negate the need for some of the other lenses?
Tamron have a trio of new 2.8 primes to consider also, 20, 24 and 35mm - all three do 1:2 macro. Not sure if they are any good though, maybe someone here has tried them? They are cheap as chips, which is nice. Worth it for that magnification alone at the price if they are even halfway decent
The reason for the Samyang 24mm and 45mm primes over other primes is the tiny size, very good for travel and days out.

The Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 is too big and heavy.

The reason for the Samyang 24mm and 45mm primes over other primes is the tiny size, very good for travel and days out.

Would definitely skip that 24mm Samyang it might be small but it’s also junk. Maybe wait for the new Sony 20mm that is due next week if you need something at around that focal length.

The 45mm is a little bit better but also not great compared to the Sony 35 f/1.8 and the 55.

Last edited:
Would definitely skip that 24mm Samyang it might be small but it’s also junk. Maybe wait for the new Sony 20mm that is due next week if you need something at around that focal length.

The 45mm is a little bit better but also not great compared to the Sony 35 f/1.8 and the 55.
Ok thanks I’ll look into it more as reviews I’ve read seemed to be positive about the 24mm. I actually like the rendering of the 45mm though.

Ok thanks I’ll look into it more as reviews I’ve read seemed to be positive about the 24mm. I actually like the rendering of the 45mm though.

I like the 45’s rendering too but a.f performance isn’t fantastic though and build quality is pretty horrendous. The 35 f/1.8 and the 55 are both fantastic in terms of a.f. and they also small lenses.

I would ignore most reviews for any of Samyangs kit they offer up lots of free kit and incentives for reviews more than any other manufacturer.

The tamron primes are pretty small too - looking at some reviews seems they're not exactly quiet though, but performance looks decent. The Samy 45 1.8 is one I might be tempted to try if I went Sony

The tamron primes are pretty small too - looking at some reviews seems they're not exactly quiet though, but performance looks decent. The Samy 45 1.8 is one I might be tempted to try if I went Sony
The Tamron is big compared to the Samyang ;)

I like the 45’s rendering too but a.f performance isn’t fantastic though and build quality is pretty horrendous. The 35 f/1.8 and the 55 are both fantastic in terms of a.f. and they also small lenses.

I would ignore most reviews for any of Samyangs kit they offer up lots of free kit and incentives for reviews more than any other manufacturer.
Build doesn’t bother me so much for these, they’d be cheap ‘chuck in my pocket’ lenses. The 24mm is £150 ish used, I’m not going to expect miracles for that ;)

What about the Samy 18 2.8? Looks decent, someone posted some images in here using it
Another potential yeah, not as pocketable as the 24 though.

I know the Samyang AF lenses have their detractors here but I pushed my kit to the limit last night (a7RIIs and Samyang AF 35/85mm 1.4) and it didn't let me down at all. 7:30pm outdoor wedding in the Roman Baths, which does have (patchy) subtle lighting to make use of thankfully. Dancefloor aside I do not use flash during a wedding if I can at all help it as I'm booked to be invisible for the most part, this was by far the most extreme test of that (over half of my photos are at f1.4 @ ISO3200)

Roman Baths Wedding by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
I know the Samyang AF lenses have their detractors here but I pushed my kit to the limit last night (a7RIIs and Samyang AF 35/85mm 1.4) and it didn't let me down at all. 7:30pm outdoor wedding in the Roman Baths, which does have (patchy) subtle lighting to make use of thankfully. Dancefloor aside I do not use flash during a wedding if I can at all help it as I'm booked to be invisible for the most part, this was by far the most extreme test of that (over half of my photos are at f1.4 @ ISO3200)

Nice. Last time I mentioned using a 1 card slot body on here for weddings I was rinsed so be careful admitting that ;)

Nice. Last time I mentioned using a 1 card slot body on here for weddings I was rinsed so be careful admitting that ;)

I'm as cautious as it's possible to be with single slot cameras, lots of coverage on both cameras then within an hour of the ceremony I already had a full backup on my laptop. Then a final backup of the reception/dance etc before heading home at midnight.

By far the biggest risk was probably getting mugged walking back to my car in the early hours as it's the only time all my eggs are in one basket as it were, not even dual card slots would help there!

Lovely images. I wouldn't go by what's said on here so much, plenty of very good to excellent reviews on the Samyang primes out there, I don't see why nay-sayers on here should over-rule any of that.

Photographers were shooting weddings for decades with one card slot up until a few years ago - I'd rather a back up body over a second slot, just as likely that the problem will be with the camera rather than the card

Whilst that is true, you’re putting it on a 60+ mp body that will likely make it look pants.
Possibly if I look at 1:1, but my output for Flickr is roughly 2000 pixels wide so I’m sure it’ll be fine. It’s not a ‘primary’ use lens, it’s a ‘have on me just in case I need something wider’ lens. For dedicated landscape I’m likely to get the 16-35mm f4 or Tamron 17-28mm f2.8.

Apparently the later AF fe mount lenses are better than the older MF Samyangs.

Last edited:
Lovely images. I wouldn't go by what's said on here so much, plenty of very good to excellent reviews on the Samyang primes out there, I don't see why nay-sayers on here should over-rule any of that.

£800 for the pair too, winner! Just at a simple business-case level there is zero reason for me to spend at least 3x times that on the Sony equivalents.

Back