The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Been looking back on some files, especially macro and the detail with the higher resolution sony sensor seems so much better, which obviously is going to be the case. It could also be that I'm not getting the best from the fuji mind you
In what way? The Sony is going to offer you the better overall IQ/DR/Res but if AF is a high priority for you then you may want to stick to the X-T3, or look to some of the faster Sony bodies like the 7III

So the thoughts are that the 35mm will be on the camera 95% of the time, but I just want something small and pocketable for the odd time I 'need' something wider. So whilst the 24mm f2.8 might not be the worlds best lens, from what I've read it's optically "decent" and it's tiny enough that I'll take it with me. The Tamron primes and the 28mm f/2 are just big enough that I'd find them a pain having them in my pocket (particularly on holiday wearing shorts) that I'd end up not taking them or getting 'annoyed' ;)

If the lens is going in a pocket what are you doing with the camera? Carrying it? I'm not a fan of carrying a camera or of putting a camera or lenses in pockets. My A7 and 35mm f2.8 or Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 fits in a Lowepro Apex 100 AW but a mkIII body may not. If I'm using a larger lens I use a cheap man bag or Billingham Hadley small both of which will take a camera with a lens mounted and another lens and/or water bottles and snacks which I'll almost certainly have with me.

I took the Hadley small to Singapore and it wasn't really a burden, I even did a couple of laps of the track at a sports stadium carrying it.

Handled the Sony 100-400mm as well today, that's a really nice bit of kit. Feels in a different league to the Tamron 150-600mm and Panny 100-400mm I've owned. Mind you it should when you consider the price :eek:
Just in case you might be interested I shall be putting up my 100-400 for sale now that I'm taking delivery of the 200-600.

If the lens is going in a pocket what are you doing with the camera? Carrying it? I'm not a fan of carrying a camera or of putting a camera or lenses in pockets. My A7 and 35mm f2.8 or Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 fits in a Lowepro Apex 100 AW but a mkIII body may not. If I'm using a larger lens I use a cheap man bag or Billingham Hadley small both of which will take a camera with a lens mounted and another lens and/or water bottles and snacks which I'll almost certainly have with me.

I took the Hadley small to Singapore and it wasn't really a burden, I even did a couple of laps of the track at a sports stadium carrying it.
Camera goes on my peak design sling strap, lenses go in pockets. I like to keep things minimal, plus I like the camera to always be at the ready, I don’t like having to take it in and out if a bag.

Camera goes on my peak design sling strap, lenses go in pockets. I like to keep things minimal, plus I like the camera to always be at the ready, I don’t like having to take it in and out if a bag.

Hmmm. I can maybe see the appeal if I squint but for myself that's just not a set up or a look I'd go for. Plus there's protection for the gear and if I'm carrying water and snacks or even just stuff I'll probably have a bag of some sort at some time so the camera might as well go in it too.

Hmmm. I can maybe see the appeal if I squint but for myself that's just not a set up or a look I'd go for. Plus there's protection for the gear and if I'm carrying water and snacks or even just stuff I'll probably have a bag of some sort at some time so the camera might as well go in it too.
I don’t carry anything else ;) Sling strap works for me (y)

Am I right in thinking there’s no in camera raw editing on the A7’s so you can’t edit images on the go?

The rumor site says the 20mm f1.8 will be announced at 15:00.

Editing on a non calibrated 3" screen with varying brightness levels lol. Think I'd wait till import.
The debate regarding post-processing workflows and which route / application is better will always rage on.
For example I only use programs like Lightroom / Darkroom to do minor editing like exposure, shadow, highlights etc, so having in-camera editing might help is some cases, but in most cases I will most likely import to my iPad Pro and edit via Darkroom :)

The debate regarding post-processing workflows and which route / application is better will always rage on.
For example I only use programs like Lightroom / Darkroom to do minor editing like exposure, shadow, highlights etc, so having in-camera editing might help is some cases, but in most cases I will most likely import to my iPad Pro and edit via Darkroom :)
I just got myself a razor blade Stealth 13 that has a dedicated gpu.battery can past 6 to 8 hours and is more powerful and useful for editing on the Go then any other tablet

Why would you do that? have not seen any camera that does it
All my Nikons have had it.
Editing on a non calibrated 3" screen with varying brightness levels lol. Think I'd wait till import.
TBH I’ve had surprisingly good results using the Nikon in camera raw editor. It’s absolutely no biggie, just nice for the odd time you want to upload a photo whilst out in the field, but with a bit more flexibility than shooting jpeg.

I just got myself a razor blade Stealth 13 that has a dedicated gpu.battery can past 6 to 8 hours and is more powerful and useful for editing on the Go then any other tablet
I have a dedicated eGPU for my MacBook Pro 13" which works well, no real problems when editing photos etc although I am not actually making use of the eGPU yet as hardly use Affinity Photo.
I actually prefer editing on my iPad Pro which is simpler, easier and quicker ... again no real issues editing etc.
I guess your doing advanced editing which needs more horsepower ;) lol

All my Nikons have had it.
TBH I’ve had surprisingly good results using the Nikon in camera raw editor. It’s absolutely no biggie, just nice for the odd time you want to upload a photo whilst out in the field, but with a bit more flexibility than shooting jpeg.
Canon don't.at least on the 5d4 I had.

I have a dedicated eGPU for my MacBook Pro 13" which works well, no real problems when editing photos etc although I am not actually making use of the eGPU yet as hardly use Affinity Photo.
I actually prefer editing on my iPad Pro which is simpler, easier and quicker ... again no real issues editing etc.
I guess your doing advanced editing which needs more horsepower ;) lol
I can't get along with lightroom tablet app
I prefer lightroom classic.

I also don't like the file system in the iPad.it ain't plug and play copy paste and drop files whenever like file explorer on Mac OS or Windows

I can't get along with lightroom tablet app
I prefer lightroom classic.

I also don't like the file system in the iPad.it ain't plug and play copy paste and drop files whenever like file explorer on Mac OS or Windows
Yeah with Apple, you have to do things their way, for me it just works as I have Apple everything... I am ditching Lightroom tbh... going with Darkroom and Affinity Photo going forwards.
So I will be importing to my iPad Pro via SD card or Fujifilm iOS WiFi app - The photos will go directly into my Apple Photo's collection incl RAW's.
I can then edit in Darkroom / Affinity and save them..... everything is backed up on iCloud.... my local copies will remain on the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro.
I then have a round-robin SSD setup which backups up via Apple TimeMachine.

You have to remember, I am not a pro ... just mainly family snaps these days, so the above solution works for me. :)
I may also just go the Fuji OOC JPEG route and just keep the RAW files just in case. :)

The 28 was on the radar but not exactly pocketable.

To let you know my line of thinking. On top of consolidating all my gear into one system I want(ed) a small ish walkabout and really fancied the X100V, and would get the WCL converter with it. I wouldn't plan on using the converter much but would have it 'just in case', but one of the main ideas was to force myself into a single focal length to try and improve my photography 'eye' rather than taking the same old 'holiday' and 'picture postcard' pictures.

However, as I started to look seriously at the A7R IV shortly after I'm really up to my budget with the Sony gear I want, and as I was a bit put off by the price of the X100V anyway it may have to take a back seat for a while until the price is more reasonable so I started to look at alternatives. Those alternatives have become the 35mm f2.8 'pancake' and the 24mm f2.8 pancake, not quite the same as the Fuji setup as that was 28mm and 35mm eq, but I actually prefer 24mm over 28mm as 28mm isn't 'that' much wider than 35mm. So the thoughts are that the 35mm will be on the camera 95% of the time, but I just want something small and pocketable for the odd time I 'need' something wider. So whilst the 24mm f2.8 might not be the worlds best lens, from what I've read it's optically "decent" and it's tiny enough that I'll take it with me. The Tamron primes and the 28mm f/2 are just big enough that I'd find them a pain having them in my pocket (particularly on holiday wearing shorts) that I'd end up not taking them or getting 'annoyed' ;)

I should be able to pick up the Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and Samyang 24mm f2.8 up for around £500 used, 1/3 of the price of the X100V and wide angle converter.

There's some logic in there somewhere I'm sure :LOL:

On another note A7R IV ordered and on hold, should be picking it on Wednesday at the same time as saying goodbye to my Nikon and Olly, it's a bit bitter sweet. I'll actually have gone full circle too, Sony > Sony + Olympus > Nikon + Olympus > Nikon + Fuji > Nikon + Olympus > Sony ;)

Don't forget the 35mm f2.8 - a lovely sharp little lens !

I've also got the 18mm f2.8 and I'm very pleased with it so far - sharp and light enough that you don't mind taking it with you.

35mm

18mm

Look better on flickr !

Don't forget the 35mm f2.8 - a lovely sharp little lens !

I've also got the 18mm f2.8 and I'm very pleased with it so far - sharp and light enough that you don't mind taking it with you.

35mm

18mm

Look better on flickr !
I went with the Sony 35mm f2.8 instead so that I've got a fully weather sealed system, none of the Samyangs are weather sealed AFAIK.

Placed your orders yet?
Yep, Sony 35mm f2.8, Samyang 24mm f2.8 and 45mm f1.8, and Sony 28-70mm all on the way. 100-400mm, 16-35mm f4 and Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 will be ordered before long.

Not 100% sure the 28-70mm FL is something I'm going to use a lot as most landscapes will be with the 16-35mm so picked the Sony up cheap for now, plus it's light. If I find I use it quite a bit I'll look into the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 at some point (y) I'll not lose much, if anything on the 28-70mm.

Back