The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Been looking back on some files, especially macro and the detail with the higher resolution sony sensor seems so much better, which obviously is going to be the case. It could also be that I'm not getting the best from the fuji mind you

This is the kind of shot that makes me want to go back, but the 85 GM is a beast of a lens.....

20160814-DSC09396 by Darrin Roberts, on Flickr

Nope, nothing yet.... just ordered my charger so that should arrive tomorrow, waiting on my B+W filters :(

Yeah right... ;)

Good luck with that...... just stick everything on custom buttons.... the Sony Menu's are a minefield.

But with all the custom buttons, once setup you'll rarely have to go into the menus.

OK so I've spent some time going through the menus and setting the camera up, it still needs a bit of tweaking but I'll do that as I get using it and see what needs to go where. I'm not sure what a number of the menu items are so I need to investigate :oops: :$

Overall I'm pretty impressed, the ergonomics are actually better than I thought they were going to be. I'm not blown away by AF acquisition speed tbh, but then I might not have been using the best lenses to test this (35mm f2.8 and Samyang 45mm f1.8). I've very impressed with tracking and eye AF, as you've all said it just sticks.

I do have one pretty big disappointment though, and that's the LCD and EVF. When you are half pressing the shutter to AF you get some subtle kind of pixelating and then some not so subtle rainbow effects with bright light as in this video I've posted. Surely this can't be normal can it on such a high end camera? What's weird is the effect is vastly reduced (although still there a little) when you use the silent/electronic shutter, I can't explain that. It makes no difference if I choose high screen quality or alter the refresh rate. Any thoughts?

Watch the rainbow artefacts when the AF box lights green.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wZ7NjertXc&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: I think I may have found the issue, looking online anti flicker causes some weird issues like this. I've turned it off and it's better as far as the pixelating's concerned, but I'll try tomorrow with bright light as it's dark now.

Last edited:
OK so I've spent some time going through the menus and setting the camera up, it still needs a bit of tweaking but I'll do that as I get using it and see what needs to go where. I'm not sure what a number of the menu items are so I need to investigate :oops: :$

Overall I'm pretty impressed, the ergonomics are actually better than I thought they were going to be. I'm not blown away by AF acquisition speed tbh, but then I might not have been using the best lenses to test this (35mm f2.8 and Samyang 45mm f1.8). I've very impressed with tracking and eye AF, as you've all said it just sticks.

I do have one pretty big disappointment though, and that's the LCD and EVF. When you are half pressing the shutter to AF you get some subtle kind of pixelating and then some not so subtle rainbow effects with bright light as in this video I've posted. Surely this can't be normal can it on such a high end camera? What's weird is the effect is vastly reduced (although still there a little) when you use the silent/electronic shutter, I can't explain that. It makes no difference if I choose high screen quality or alter the refresh rate. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I think I may have found the issue, looking online anti flicker causes some weird issues like this. I've turned it off and it's better as far as the pixelating's concerned, but I'll try tomorrow with bright light as it's dark now.
I don’t know if this helps or indeed if it would make any difference but, it may be worth trying back button focus and render the shutter af redundant which can be done in the menu apparently.
May not make any difference but worth a try

Don’t recall getting any rainbow effect on my a9

Yeah anti flicker can cause this but I would leave it on it’s a very useful feature.

Looks like Moire? weak AA filter. If anti flicker gets rid thats cool.

Last edited:
I don’t know if this helps or indeed if it would make any difference but, it may be worth trying back button focus and render the shutter af redundant which can be done in the menu apparently.
May not make any difference but worth a try
I have BBF set anyway. Did you not see my edit at the bottom, think I’ve sorted it.
@snerkler have you updated to latest fw?
Not double checked but think it’s the latest as I have my menu.

Yeah anti flicker can cause this but I would leave it on it’s a very useful feature.
It ruins the experience with it on, I’ll just have to remember to turn it on when shooting under artificial light. Shame it’s not automatic like Nikon.

Is the lcd and evf on the a7riv better than the a9? As wonder if they come close to z6

Mmm the experience means nothing to me just the results. :D
My results are never any good so it’s all about the experience for me :LOL:
Is the lcd and evf on the a7riv better than the a9? As wonder if they come close to z6
It’s higher res that’s all.

Not wanting Toby to feel like he's alone with his new kit, I have a 45mm f1.8 arriving tomorrow courtesy of the ebay 20% off code. ;)

Hope it lives up to the better reviews.....

Thread need more pics

tWWP1w6.jpg

94LgNrF.jpg

k4LFMZ4.jpg

Evf better 5.6m dots, LCD same. I think a9 evf has the same px as z6/7 3.7m.

Tech said it the same but the z6 was much clearer better quality like a better screen

Back