The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Thanks Alan

No need to be jealous.

£13 for the T2 adaptor and under £300 for the telescope.

Much less than most lenses for the Somy cameras if you fancy a go at it.

Just spot meter on the brightest part of the moon.

People are always amazed at moon shots but they are the easiest to take.

I've never had a telescope but I've always fancied one but I'm worried about the neighbours and complaints as even if it's obviously pointing at the sky I'll be accused of peeping and called a perv :( My sister has one which belonged to her late husband and she's offered it to me a few times and one thing I could do I suppose is use it from her garden and thus hopefully avoid our neighbours from hell and their nasty minds.

It's something I would like to dabble in :D

Thanks chaps. Weight won out. I’ve gone for the Sony 35 f1.8
Now trying to decide between 20mm f1.8 and 24GM

I think you'll like the 35mm f1.8. I like 35mm's and one thing that stands out for me with the Sony f1.8 is the close focus ability and another thing which has come in hand recently for me is that it's sharp across the frame. I've been using it to photograph documents recently as I don't have a scanner and it's done well, it's not the use it was built for but at least being good for copying saved me from swapping lenses :D

I've never had a telescope but I've always fancied one but I'm worried about the neighbours and complaints as even if it's obviously pointing at the sky I'll be accused of peeping and called a perv :( My sister has one which belonged to her late husband and she's offered it to me a few times and one thing I could do I suppose is use it from her garden and thus hopefully avoid our neighbours from hell and their nasty minds.

It's something I would like to dabble in :D

Have you tried telling them to f*** off?

Stop it :D

I've always wanted a long lens but I went for the Panasonic 100-400mm and I'm still getting to grips with it.

Telescopes mainly point upwards so they should realise you're not looking at anything you shouldn't.

Just do it.

The bloke next door gets drunk acts up and threatens people and there seems to be something genuinely wrong personality and behaviour wise with their grown up son. Mrs WW hates any form of confrontation and just shuts down so keeping the peace and avoiding confrontation if at all possible seems to be best. I might see my sister and have a go from her garden :D

The bloke next door gets drunk acts up and threatens people and there seems to be something genuinely wrong personality and behaviour wise with their grown up son. Mrs WW hates any form of confrontation and just shuts down so keeping the peace and avoiding confrontation if at all possible seems to be best. I might see my sister and have a go from her garden :D

Feel sorry that you feel you can't do what you want in your own property.

We're lucky in that we have great neighbours.

However in your position it must be very difficult.................. to avoid killing them.

We don't have to even go outside to start something. A few years ago he had a right rant because I had spider plants on the window ledge upstairs. That's one I didn't see coming, and the LOL moment I had didn't help the situation. The whole family is special. My sister lives the other side so no issues there :D

unless they are in rented accommodation its hard to sort it out even with the authorities' help.
Lived under and next to similar loonies in the past, luckily those were rented accommodation and we just moved.

Now in our permanent house we have good very neighbours.

We have a difficult neighbour too, right from the day we started moving in.

We dropped some furniture off then went back out in the van to fill up again and when we came back there was a car in our drive way. This obviously meant we couldn't bring any of our stuff in and who parks in someone else's driveway?

Anyway eventually the next door neighbour came out and offered to move the car, they explained they had some sort of arrangement with the family that lived here before us so that they could use our driveway for parking as they regularly have 6 or so cars at the house. We explained that we had 3 cars ourselves and they couldn't use it any more and they were less than pleased. There has been literally hundreds of arguments since.

A few years ago they put up an 8 foot high fence between our garden and there's, we have a 6 foot high fence on our side. We considered complaining to the local council about it just because it looked so bad but decided not to bother as by that point there had already been several arguments, police called at times etc. A mate of mine who is a landscape gardener called round a while after the fence went up to cut some very overgrown hedges in our back garden and the neighbour came out and gave him dogs abuse as some of the cuts had fallen into his garden. He offered to go around and pick them up of course but that wasn't good enough and he ended up having a full argument with the neighbour. I wasn't home at the time but eventually my mate lost his temper and took a chain saw right across the top of their fence leaving it the same height as ours. :ROFLMAO:

Off course the neighbour went crazy and it all escalated to the point where a couple of weeks later my mate had the windows of his house bricked and his work van petrol bombed. It all went a bit nuts after that. Then about a year or so ago one of the local hoods called to our house to talk about it. The neighbours had went to them to have us "put out of the house". We explained what happened and when he realised that we had some connected family he went straight to the neighbours and told them in no uncertain terms that they were never to so much as speak to us again never mind anything else. We haven't really had any bother with them since other than the odd dirty look.

Last edited:
What a nightmare! We had a bad neighbour once and I had a scuffle with his rugby player son who came to my house to threaten me. But love that post me and the missus were in stitches reading it! :LOL:

We have a difficult neighbour too, right from the day we started moving in.

Things here haven't got that bad, thank gosh. The worst with him was a street confrontation and his wife had to drag him away. I don't really intimidate (one nice thing about my many personality disorders :D) and I wasn't drunk but lamping him one would possibly end my marriage and give the Christian in me even more to think about so I mostly avoid them. I did take up as much room as possible once when we passed on the street and he and his son stepped off the pavement onto the road to avoid me so I hope that points to a calmer nature when he's not off his head drunk.

Actually the worst run in I've had with neighbours was a boundary dispute with a neighbour out the back, he intimated that his dogs might get access to our place and eat us and my reply was that if he threatened that again I'd dice them and shove them up his backside, and then call the police. Thankfully he avoids me now and I leave him to abuse his wife and children which seems to be his hobby.

Oh for an easy life.

Last edited:
Surely with your big new lens you can post some cracking shots of your neighbours fence without drawing too much attention to yourself?

I find 35/50mm pretty much idea for fence shots.

Just looked at a tracking mount for my scope tube.

£995!

That's not going to happen anytime soon then.

That’s been the problem with mine tbh, tracking. I never did set mine up, although it came with one. So that’s my weekend mini project. Wasn’t clear enough last night to set it up around the celestial point.

Im not sure whether to consider that brazen, sneaky or downright talented. (Off to start my first ever thread ”show us yer’ fence shots”

I have a long running little project I've been on with for years (decades) and it's pictures taken from inside to outside. It started long ago when me and my then GF stayed in a converted church, so you may see how that interest started with the lovely windows and now I do it whenever I go somewhere and it grabs me in that way. Fences can be a part of that and it's lead to its own little sub set. I like detail and colour and a nice fence shot might be odd to some but get the light and colour and shape and detail right and it's right up my street.

I have another window related interest which I don't do as much and it's portraits of someone on the inside but taken from the outside. Not strangers obviously. Sometimes the light is the draw here and sometimes it's the light plus the reflections.

I don't expect these to be widespread interests but they're mine :D

Last edited:
49730467348_74b888ab56_b.jpg

Goldfinch in the garden this afternoon.

Jealous !

How much ?

I can't remember off hand but Google and you shall find :D

It's the first time I've used this company. It's a shame to have to use them really. There were two camera shops in town but both went. Jessops and RGB. I think the RGB guy dropped the camera and lens sales and went to an industrial estate to just do printing but later emigrated to Australia. I'd have bought from one of those if they were still there.

Managed to nip out for a quick run earlier with the old fella of our 4 dog pack.

He is getting on a bit now but still loves a bit of a run about.

Chester.jpg

Back