The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Oriental Magpie RobinDSC05965 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Woosung Street, Jordan, Hong Kong
DSC05822 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Art Square, Kowloon
DSC06158 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Art Square, Kowloon
DSC06148 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Chi Lin Nunnery
DSC06325 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Ngong Ping, Lantau Island
DSC05655 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Great Egret with catch
DSC07908 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

A local photographer friend.
DSC07558 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Last edited:
looks pretty good viewing on phone
Thanks, still looks bad to me though whereas New Beetle’s that he’s just posted look great.

@NewBeetle what image size are you uploading to Flickr and then which size bbcode do you use to post on here?

IQ on here looks worse than usual for this shot on my iPad but looks fine on Flickr, what’s it like for everyone else? I know IQ on TP isn’t great at the best of times, but this looks shocking. Even the watermark looks fuzzy/blurry :eek:
looks good to me

Thanks, still looks bad to me though whereas New Beetle’s that he’s just posted look great.

@NewBeetle what image size are you uploading to Flickr and then which size bbcode do you use to post on here?

I upload the full size 100% jpeg that I output from Lightroom to Flickr, and when I share I choose 'Large' 2048x1365

I suppose one solution is to get one, then just send it to Samyang and get them to sort it out. If they look at it on an individual basis I'd imagine they could fix the decentering. Though you do wonder if they're so prone to it because they are so light, flexible and because of that any knock or bump can shift stuff out of line.

Remember that bump I had 2 weekends ago that bruised my back, The lens is now just slightly decentered, but I wouldn't have been surprised if even one on my mechanical Nikkors would have been bent after that.

OK so despite me not having much interest in macro these days, I don't have a lens that allows close up photography either and with this lockdown and trying to find things around the house to photograph I could do with something that allows close up shots. What budget native mount Macro lenses are available for e-mount?

OK so despite me not having much interest in macro these days, I don't have a lens that allows close up photography either and with this lockdown and trying to find things around the house to photograph I could do with something that allows close up shots. What budget native mount Macro lenses are available for e-mount?

Jesus man you building your kit up quickly and nicely since you moved to Sony. Top one [emoji1303]

Past few days I’ve though about selling my a9 and grip and getting a a7riv for the cropping ability as I’ve seen people really crop there images and retain details.

Reason for this is because it would keep the lens line up minimal and lightweight.

Yeah, just look how well Snerks is doing keeping his lens line up minimal :LOL:

But if I keep a9 I would want 100-400 and 200-600. If I had a7riv I’ll just have the 100-400 and crop since Toby showed how well it does.

Or any ideas.

Past few days I’ve though about selling my a9 and grip and getting a a7riv for the cropping ability as I’ve seen people really crop there images and retain details.

Reason for this is because it would keep the lens line up minimal and lightweight.

that's what I do but recently I did end up buying more lenses, I will sell some eventually.
for example I was using 24GM as my 35mm f2 in crop.

But it really comes in handy is with small wildlife, cropped to 15mp i.e. 1200mm equivalent.
49347279677_64236aaec2_b.jpg

49347271907_c937cd3308_b.jpg

Last edited:
that's what I do but recently I did end up buying more lenses, I will sell some eventually.
for example I was using 24GM as my 35mm f2 in crop.

But it really comes in handy is with small wildlife, cropped to 15mp i.e. 1200mm equivalent.
49347279677_64236aaec2_b.jpg

They with the 24mm Jesus what a crop show me original pls

They with the 24mm Jesus what a crop show me original pls
Lol, I think you need to re-read his post ;) With all the will in the world you're not going to change a 24mm lens into a 1200mm eq ;)

Edit: beaten to it

He edited the post after I replied or was edited as soon as I replied lol

I'd recommend the Sony 90mm. It's not exactly budget but is excellent.

The guide below might be helpful:
https://www.alphashooters.com/e-mount-lenses/macro/

Genuine question and not trying to stir or start any bitching.
Has the A9 turned out to be not as good as was made out ?
was is just everyone listening to one persons praise made them all go and buy one?
Everyone just being a sheep and doing as others did?

Seems after one person bought one and made out it was the god of all cameras and everyone should get one quite a few jumped on the bandwagon and bought one, now as soon as one was sold it seems as everyone that bought one has now decided to sell?

Yes I know that the excuse that it’s a crisis and cash is needed has been used but most that bought it were hobbyists not shooting professionally full time.

So has this been a case of it’s not all it’s lived upto be and was mainly hype from a few causing the buying ?

Are most selling if ready to move to canon? Is this again just following others or hype?

Generally interested to know, I know most will have lost money doing so, so wanted to know the reasons, is this a sign of what’s to come for Sony?

I’m more than happy with my a73 and seems as though most that bought into the system are, but the a9 doesn’t seem to have faired so well.

was is just everyone listening to one persons praise made them all go and buy one?

Seems after one person bought one and made out it was the god of all cameras and everyone should get one quite a few jumped on the bandwagon and bought one, now as soon as one was sold it seems as everyone that bought one has now decided to sell?

Yes I know that the excuse that it’s a crisis and cash is needed has been used but most that bought it were hobbyists not shooting professionally full time.

So has this been a case of it’s not all it’s lived upto be and was mainly hype from a few causing the buying ?

Are most selling if ready to move to canon? Is this again just following others or hype?

Generally interested to know, I know most will have lost money doing so, so wanted to know the reasons, is this a sign of what’s to come for Sony?

I’m more than happy with my a73 and seems as though most that bought into the system are, but the a9 doesn’t seem to have faired so well.

A9 is actually a bargain for the price. It's not just the hype. It is every bit as good as they say it is.

Some people may have bought into the canon hype and that's fine too. :)
If you are happy with what you have you should stick with it. If canon does come out with a better spec'd body Sony will soon follow and so will Nikon.
And for those that can't wait will of course move.

I'm interested in the cropping ability of the A7r's.

I did think that when my A7 dies I'd just get the latest in the A7 line but cropping has got me interested so I could be interested in an r series body and the 100-400 + tc would I assume keep the bulk down over a longer lens?

I often crop up to 100% to fill the screen with something I spot while out and an r would doubtless enable me to crop less or end up with a bigger picture so if and when anyone gets the chance could they please post examples of full pictures and crops?

This isn't urgent as I wont be buying a new camera any time too soon :D

Sure you arent.

Its definitely as good as its made out.

Was that the reason you bought an A7iii? Or why anyone buys any camera?

Would that make you a sheep for buying the A7iii, because you definitely werent the first to own one.

Cameras come and go. Whats new?

Can hobbyists not use high end cameras? Why arent you just using a mobile?

Not at all, the A7iii is a great camera but the A9 is an even better camera. How many A9 have you seen come and go vs A7iii or Canikons?

Did you buy your A7iii based on hype? Why do you have an issue with other people buying cameras or switching? Its not a new thing.

I dont think it is a sign of whats to come for Sony, people have been buying and selling and switching from one brand to another for years.

I think youre only concentrating on the A9 for some strange reason, more A7s have sold here than A9s.

Responses to all the hype questions.

Last edited:
A9 is actually a bargain for the price. It's not just the hype. It is every bit as good as they say it is.

Some people may have bought into the canon hype and that's fine too. :)
If you are happy with what you have you should stick with it. If canon does come out with a better spec'd body Sony will soon follow and so will Nikon.
And for those that can't wait will of course move.

Exactly, its as if switching gear is a new thing :LOL:

Can't speak for anyone else but the A9 has far surpassed my expectations, it's far and away the best camera I have ever used.

I wouldn't go to much by what happens in this thread, a lot of the people that post regularly in here chop and change equipment like other people change their socks.

Was only thinking cos of cropping that’s all. But doing the maths it not really worth it as the A9 is a brilliant camera so it staying.

Going decide which lens then enjoy

I got rid of my A7RIV a month or so ago found it very frustrating to use compared to my A9II an A9's and the project I bought it for has now finished.

I got rid of my A7RIV a month or so ago found it very frustrating to use compared to my A9II an A9's and the project I bought it for has now finished.
As you have the 200-600 I not too sure if you got the 100-400 i cant remember if it was only one lens which would you go for.. At the moment in time I am thinking 100-400 as it be better long for long term for it size and weight..

As you have the 200-600 I not too sure if you got the 100-400 i cant remember if it was only one lens which would you go for.. At the moment in time I am thinking 100-400 as it be better long for long term for it size and weight..

Is it a lens you will use a lot or just the odd zoo trip?

Is it a lens you will use a lot or just the odd zoo trip?

Zoo not as much that another reason why the 100-400 as it can be used for family walks in forest etc

No, I don't have the 100-400 it came down to a choice of one or the other and I decided that the 200-600 suited my needs better. I decided on the 200-600 as I have the 135G.M and having sold my 70-200 some time ago I knew I didn't anything between 135-200.

For me there didn't seem to be much difference between the 100-400 and the 200-600 in terms of image quality and the 100-400 with a t.c didn't seem as good as the 200-600, I am only basing this on some raw files another photographer who has both lenses sent me though.

For your purpose because you don't have anything else longer than 85mm the 100-400 might be the better option.

Back