The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Indeed, mine is purely money based. I don’t want to sell it but in the grand scheme of things I can get myself a cheaper body and lens set up and get the spare cash I need.

Plus until lock down is fully ended and equestrian events are back up and running it’s just not going to get any use. I dont think such events will be back up and running until next year IMO.

Probably a sensible decision, if I was in the same position I would do the same. You can always buy again later on down the line.

Well the moon pics last night came out OK but I actually prefer the 97% from the other night as the extra bit of shadowing makes it look more spherical, the full moon looks more like a flat disc. So here's the 97% moon (y)

A7R02495-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Lovely that, just needs some of those Star Wars characters that they like to show on I think, the Fuji thread? :D

More interesting...

Adds the Hi Frequency flicker function, which allows you to reduce the impact of flickering of artificial light sources (e.g. digital signage, electronic signboards, LED lights, etc.), by more finely adjusting the shutter speed

That looks like a nice upgrade.

It'll be interesting to see the effect of the anti flicker and improvements to the eye and face detect.

What flash did you use? Didn’t know that lens focus close
Godox flash with small on flash softbox. Have you not been following the thread? Dug my raynox adapter out to use in the 24-70 (y)

Godox flash with small on flash softbox. Have you not been following the thread? Dug my raynox adapter out to use in the 24-70 (y)

Might get one of those instead If they cheaper and do the job hmmm

That flash seem do a good job have you a link to it ?

Might get one of those instead If they cheaper and do the job hmmm

That flash seem do a good job have you a link to it ?
A flash is a flash mate, all do the same job ;) Ok some have more power and have things like TTL and HSS but you know what I mean (y) Just bought it from amazon (godox TT685s) and a Godox remote flash trigger.

Is it a raynox 150 or 250 you use?
I should point out that I have to use it in crop mode otherwise you see the edges of the adapter, ie you get a black ring around the outside of the frame. I think you're supposed to use it for lenses of 75mm + focal length.

Last edited:
For some reason I’ve only just stumbled across the a6100 and it’s got me really confused about Sony’s lineup and naming system.

So initially there was the a6000, then a more premium a6300 and then even more premium a6500. The latter two have been superseded by the a6400 and a6600 respectively, and lastly the a6000 has been superseded by the a6100.

So where do they go from here? The updare to the a6100 can still be called the a6200, but what about the update to the a6400 as it can’t be the a6500 as that already exists. And what about down the line when they want to update the a6200?

It all seems a bit odd to me, six different bodies still on sale (AFAIK) some carrying very similar spec, and odd choice of model numbers.

For some reason I’ve only just stumbled across the a6100 and it’s got me really confused about Sony’s lineup and naming system.

So initially there was the a6000, then a more premium a6300 and then even more premium a6500. The latter two have been superseded by the a6400 and a6600 respectively, and lastly the a6000 has been superseded by the a6100.

So where do they go from here? The updare to the a6100 can still be called the a6200, but what about the update to the a6400 as it can’t be the a6500 as that already exists. And what about down the line when they want to update the a6200?

It all seems a bit odd to me, six different bodies still on sale (AFAIK) some carrying very similar spec, and odd choice of model numbers.

I agree a s*** way of naming their APS-C models.

So AXXX were initially take up by their DSLRs - both APS-C and FF (A850 and A900 was FF)
AXX taken by their SLT (A99 series being FF)

They initially were using nex for mirrorless but decided to keep the nex line to video only and use alpha branding for all still cameras.
So for some reason they decided AXXXX was APS-C mirrorless and AX i.e. A7 and A9 series were FF mirrorless but FF version go M2/3/4 and APS-Cs don't.

o_O

their RX series is even more confusing since lenses change halfway.
RX10 and M2 is 24-200mm, then the lens changes to 24-600mm
RX100 and M2 are 28-100mm, then it became 24-70mm @ M3 and then at some point it became 24-250mm(?) jeez!

o_Oo_O

Last edited:

Only just getting confused, they overlap, crossover, market segment and confuse the s*** out of people in apsc land. Its getting a little stupid but perhaps that's what they want, go to ff, it's not much more and the names are easier to understand.

Last edited:
Finally an X100 that's interesting... looks they have really fixed the lens on the X100V
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0120106839/fujifilm-x100v-versus-x100f-lens-comparison

Might give this a go at some point!
It does look very interesting indeed, but after my recent 'explorations' I fear that I like the idea of it rather than the reality of using it. I'll wait for it to drop heavily in price before I even consider it again, although the 100F is still pricey.

Finally an X100 that's interesting... looks they have really fixed the lens on the X100V
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0120106839/fujifilm-x100v-versus-x100f-lens-comparison

Might give this a go at some point!

It’s sharp enough for my use :)
It’s a great little camera, but as mentioned, not cheap.
It’s slowed down my thinking somewhat but most of all freed up loads of cash from selling my Sony gear. :D

49728255106_08810db80c_c.jpg

It does look very interesting indeed, but after my recent 'explorations' I fear that I like the idea of it rather than the reality of using it. I'll wait for it to drop heavily in price before I even consider it again, although the 100F is still pricey.

I really enjoyed the RX1RII. The lens is just lovely and rending is rather nice. But it was too much cash locked up in one body so I sold it.
I wonder if the X100V would make for a decent replacement. But I will wait for it drop in price slightly. The previous X100 lenses are rather bad tbh. I use these bodies wide open quite a lot and also at close focus. They aren't that good for this.

Lovely pictures guys :D

My 20mm f1.8 arrived :D

I'd half forgotten I'd ordered it and certainly didn't expect it to come so quickly so it was a nice surprise. Here's my little first impressions review…

It seems nicely made and happily for me the aperture ring snaps nicely in place and I can't really see it being accidentally moved. It's just a smidgen bigger than the 35/55mm f1.8's but a bit fatter and with a 67mm filter thread. It seems to focus fast on my creaking old A7 so I'd guess it's Linford Christie class on a newer body.

The first thing I did was a decentre test and happily it seems fine. It's sharp from wide open and has a nicely close minimum focus difference. Just taking pictures around the house distortion and even vignetting don't seem to be issues so overall and so far it does look an outstanding lens for its size, weight and price, but then lots of new lenses seem to be outstanding these days :D

Oh, it comes with a small lens hood and a soft pouch too.

I'd have been happy if this had just matched the old Sigma 20mm f1.8 I had which was a bit soft wide open but sharp enough in the central area after processing and impressively sharp throughout the frame stopped down. Happily this Sony lens far exceeds the old Sigma lens :D

I now have six Sony lenses and three Sony mount Voigtlanders and that could well be it for me. I may get a wide zoom at some point and I may look at a long zoom too but I might just be happy with what I have :D

Last edited:
I now have six Sony lenses and three Sony mount Voigtlanders and that could well be it for me. I may get a wide zoom at some point and I may look at a long zoom too but I might just be happy with what I have
Are we ever happy with what we have?
There's always something......:LOL:

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

You may be right but from the start of this I'd have been happy with lenses far less good than we have now so I should be overjoyed with the excellent ones I now have.

I've just been thinking how good these modern lenses are compared to what I had for Canon DSLR's. All of the Sony lenses I have are IMO outstanding. They may all have some areas in which they're open to criticism but in overall terms I still think they're outstanding. I haven't seen any real areas in which the 20mm f1.8 can be criticised yet but I'll look :D

Oh, one thing I forgot to add to my little first impressions review...

The bokeh looks quite nice for a wide lens.

PS.
I've just read a comment on DPR about the flare resistance being woeful. I'll have a close look at that when I can but using the lens yesterday nothing jumped out at me. Ditto CA.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the RX1RII. The lens is just lovely and rending is rather nice. But it was too much cash locked up in one body so I sold it.
I wonder if the X100V would make for a decent replacement. But I will wait for it drop in price slightly. The previous X100 lenses are rather bad tbh. I use these bodies wide open quite a lot and also at close focus. They aren't that good for this.

Have you not read all the reviews of the v? Lens sharp wide open and nice improvements to the body. Ticks loads of boxes. The silver is still on back order.

I'm sure they're nice cameras but they're also at quite a price.

For those of you who've used Fuji and Sony, how do you think the X100v would compare to a Sony A7 with 35mm f2.8?

Have you not read all the reviews of the v? Lens sharp wide open and nice improvements to the body. Ticks loads of boxes. The silver is still on back order.
yep posted the link to the difference test on dpreview between the V and previous models above.
looks rather good hence I was considering it.

You think it gives better IQ? That's a surprise.

It is, because that is very debatable.

I am gonna call b******t on that. :ROFLMAO:

The new version of the lens is improved but it still isn’t great.

It is still an APSC sensor.

Last edited:
You think it gives better IQ? That's a surprise.

it probably will be at least equal if not better. But the lens on X100 is f2 vs. f2.8 of the Sony 35mm. So it has one stop of advantage.
Really old FF vs. latest APS-C. So overall I think it will be better yes.

Last edited:
it probably will be at least equal if not better. But the lens on X100 is f2 vs. f2.8 of the Sony 35mm. So it has one stop of advantage.
Really old FF vs. latest APS-C. So overall I think it will be better yes.

Have you used one?

My next door neighbour has one, wasn’t that impressed.

Have you used one?

My next door neighbour has one, wasn’t that impressed.
Have used X-T3 and the IQ was good.
The lens no I haven't used it, I'll give it a try. Probably won't be too happy since the benchmark for me is the RX1RII but let's see....

Have used X-T3 and the IQ was good.
The lens no I haven't used it, I'll give it a try. Probably won't be too happy since the benchmark for me is the RX1RII but let's see....

How do you know it’s better then, when you have never used one?

I have used my neighbours it is better than the older versions but not by much, the lens still isn’t great and can still be very soft

Have no idea if the sensor is better than the A7, my eldest has an A7 but I have never used it. It definitely isn’t as good as my own camera bodies.

It a nice looking little toy like all of the models before it and am sure it will be a hit with the old fellas and hipsters it is aimed at.

More on the 20mm.

After a decentre test my next thing was to have a look at close focus and bokeh as no matter what lens I have I'm going to want to take pictures of flowers, leaves, trees etc. I've taken pictures of this is a little alarm clock with all of my lenses. This is just a little bit before minimum focus distance. It's followed by a picture of the head mounting screw on my tripod also at just short of MFD. So, these pictures tell me it's ok for detail shots when out and about and that the bokeh is ok or actually quite nice when shooting close up. Both at f1.8, it seems very sharp anywhere you'd put a main subject.

gkxxA3F.jpg

aBIV36U.jpg

I bought this lens for my dream trip to see the northern lights, if I ever get to go, for night time shots and for the FoV and playing with perspective which will include people shots both environmental and for a bit of perspective. f1.8 then f5.

9bPJu42.jpg

bSMfoBf.jpg

I haven't seen any evidence of flare or ca yet. I hope I'm not wrong but I do think this is really an outstanding lens even by modern standards.

The money shot. f4.

tsOtYfZ.jpg

100%.

7gcOpDc.jpg

It is, because that is very debatable.

I am gonna call b******t on that. :ROFLMAO:

The new version of the lens is improved but it still isn’t great.

It is still an APSC sensor.

Better than an old A7 or not I do think it's an attractive camera but as I've said before it's not really for me as for me it isn't pocketable and if it's going in a bag I might as well take the A7 which has the advantage of being able to swap lenses. Not that I have to take lenses with me but at least I can decide what lens to go with.

I can see how people are attracted to the Fujis though.

More on the 20mm.

After a decentre test my next thing was to have a look at close focus and bokeh as no matter what lens I have I'm going to want to take pictures of flowers, leaves, trees etc. I've taken pictures of this is a little alarm clock with all of my lenses. This is just a little bit before minimum focus distance. It's followed by a picture of the head mounting screw on my tripod also at just short of MFD. So, these pictures tell me it's ok for detail shots when out and about and that the bokeh is ok or actually quite nice when shooting close up. Both at f1.8, it seems very sharp anywhere you'd put a main subject.

gkxxA3F.jpg

aBIV36U.jpg

I bought this lens for my dream trip to see the northern lights, if I ever get to go, for night time shots and for the FoV and playing with perspective which will include people shots both environmental and for a bit of perspective. f1.8 then f5.

9bPJu42.jpg

bSMfoBf.jpg

I haven't seen any evidence of flare or ca yet. I hope I'm not wrong but I do think this is really an outstanding lens even by modern standards.

The money shot. f4.

tsOtYfZ.jpg

100%.

7gcOpDc.jpg

That new 20mm is supposed to be very good, have seen a few people say that flare can be an issue but I guess for the price you can’t complain too much.

A mate of mine got one a couple of weeks ago and seems very happy with it but obviously I haven’t been able to have a play with it.

Back