The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

All I've done so far is indoor shots some with window light. It's a bit hazy here but on a clearer day I'll see what happens with the sun out.

More 20mm play.

I can't provoke any flare today and vignetting seems good to me even from f1.8 at which it's well within the range of my CS5 if I wanted to correct it. Today I didn't as I think it's ok. It's bright here but still with haze so I'll try for flare another day. Sharpness across the frame and into the corners from f1.8 is IMO very impressive.

Last test shots for today. Each f1.8 then f5 for the first and it looks like I got the order wrong so f5 then f1.8 for the second.

AjPjtex.jpg

GAR0Yrs.jpg

ImPY8WP.jpg

JU43a0D.jpg

There's no vignetting correction on these. They're just as they come.

Last edited:
I’m hoping ebay do £1 list fees again soon. Looking on there my A9 would be the cheapest available, but currently refuse to list with the standard fees!

I’m hoping ebay do £1 list fees again soon. Looking on there my A9 would be the cheapest available, but currently refuse to list with the standard fees!

Things of eBay are so overpriced, I have seen people pay same price as new ones or very close to it on there. And I don't mean just for camera gear.
I hate feeding that market but sales are slow here so I end up having sell to there :rolleyes:
Then a week after there will be someone here looking for the exact same thing I sold!

They must be doing account specific £1 selling fee's as I had an email from them yesterday offering the option.

Absolutely! Was looking for a steering wheel and pedal set up, to join some friends online racing, and all the new ones were between £50 and £100 more expensive than currys argos!.....I also saw used ones with higher bids than I purchased one for....do people not check prices?
Things of eBay are so overpriced, I have seen people pay same price as new ones or very close to it on there. And I don't mean just for camera gear.
I hate feeding that market but sales are slow here so I end up having sell to there :rolleyes:
Then a week after there will be someone here looking for the exact same thing I sold!

They must be doing account specific £1 selling fee's as I had an email from them yesterday offering the option.
Mind sharing in the link? Sometimes they do work for others even though they haven't been invited.
I never figured how it works. Seems random.

Mind sharing in the link? Sometimes they do work for others even though they haven't been invited.
I never figured how it works. Seems random.

Sorry would have but it came in yesterday and I have deleted it.

Will remember in future to ask on here if anyone needs it. I never use them as I don’t sell anything on eBay.

Last edited:
I'm sure they're nice cameras but they're also at quite a price.

For those of you who've used Fuji and Sony, how do you think the X100v would compare to a Sony A7 with 35mm f2.8?

The high price could have been slightly reduced if Fuji decided not to manufacturer it in Japan, Fuji did this with the XT-3 and I think it helped them pitch it in at a lower price.
I’m glad it’s still “Made in Japan” though.

It’s definitely a solid + quality camera for the money but like mentioned, it’s not cheap.
You’d really need to want the X100V for its appeal, design, controls, EVF/OVF hybrid, film simulations etc and possible a slower paced of shooting etc.
Both cameras will take great photos.

The Sony A7 with 35mm f2.8 is pretty old now, they represent a very good FF setup for the money.

Which one is the best??? Both for different reasons :)

it probably will be at least equal if not better. But the lens on X100 is f2 vs. f2.8 of the Sony 35mm. So it has one stop of advantage.
Really old FF vs. latest APS-C. So overall I think it will be better yes.

Pretty much agree with your comments,
Another positive is that is can focus down to -5EV if that’s important to you for low-light shooting etc.
The Fuji X100V is a really fun body, good all-round package.
On my Sony A9 I used to shoot 20 fps, not I’m shooting 1 fps and spend more time getting the shot right lol.

If you can get over the fact it doesn’t it have a FF sensor, it’s more than good enough for private use etc. :)

How do you know it’s better then, when you have never used one?

I have used my neighbours it is better than the older versions but not by much, the lens still isn’t great and can still be very soft

Have no idea if the sensor is better than the A7, my eldest has an A7 but I have never used it. It definitely isn’t as good as my own camera bodies.

It a nice looking little toy like all of the models before it and am sure it will be a hit with the old fellas and hipsters it is aimed at.

Lol guess I’m a Hipster then ;)

If your going to compare with with high end Sony gear, it’s obviously going to fall short in some area’s, especially for paid professional use.
For personally photos of the kids, family, landscape, street and holidays etc its a great camera and worth considering.

The new lens is a very noticeable improvement over the previous generation, intend to mostly shoot wide open :)

My PS4 Pro just sold for £360 - you can buy new one for cheaper! Not that I’m complaining!

Lol guess I’m a Hipster then ;)

If your going to compare with with high end Sony gear, it’s obviously going to fall short in some area’s, especially for paid professional use.
For personally photos of the kids, family, landscape, street and holidays etc its a great camera and worth considering.

The new lens is a very noticeable improvement over the previous generation, intend to mostly shoot wide open :)

Hipster and old. :)

My PS4 Pro just sold for £360 - you can buy new one for cheaper! Not that I’m complaining!

I stuck a turbo trainer on eBay a couple of weeks ago at a stupid price thinking someone would make me a low ball offer. Sold at full price in about 2 hours.

I even messaged the guy to say he could cancel or I’d refund part of the money because I felt unfair. In the end he was happy with what he paid so I just sent some extra stuff for free.

Getting the new 20mm f1.8 and thinking it's excellent got me thinking about my other lenses and if the lenses I think are the best are the ones I like the best and that's not always the case.

So, if anyone is bored... what's your best lens/es or the best lens/es you've used and what's your favourite?

Mine...

This 20mmk f1.8 may be the best lens I've ever had.

The Sony 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's I have are all very good but all have something I can criticise if I'm being hyper picky. With the 35mm it's slightly ho hum bokeh and some ca, with the 55mm it's some ca and with the 85 it's mostly the slightly cats eye swirly bokeh but this is scene and dependant. The Sony 35mm f2.8 is nice but I can't say it's outstanding, just very very good :D I suppose the Sony 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 is a really good kit lens but although it may be he best standard range variable aperture zoom I've used I can't say it the best lens I've used.

Looking at my Voigtlander lenses the 50mm f2 is probably the best lens I've ever used, at the moment I just can't fault it. So my best lenses are probably the Sony 20mm f1.8 and the Vopigtlander 50mm f2.

My favourite lenses used to be the old Sigma 50 and 85mm f1.4's and later I decided that some of the film era lenses were my favourites, like the Minolt Rokkor 50mm f1.2 which I think gives a lovely look when stopped down. Ditto some other old lenses. These days I really like the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 classic and it might just be my favourite lens ever :D

Getting the new 20mm f1.8 and thinking it's excellent got me thinking about my other lenses and if the lenses I think are the best are the ones I like the best and that's not always the case.

So, if anyone is bored... what's your best lens/es or the best lens/es you've used and what's your favourite?

Mine...

The Sony 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's I have are all very good but all have something I can criticise if I'm being hyper picky. With the 35mm it's slightly ho hum bokeh and some ca, with the 55mm it's some ca and with the 85 it's mostly the slightly cats eye swirly bokeh but this is scene and dependant. The Sony 35mm f2.8 is nice but I can't say it's outstanding, just very very good :D I suppose the Sony 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 is a really good kit lens but although it may be he best standard range variable aperture zoom I've used I can't say it the best lens I've used.

Looking at my Voigtlander lenses the 50mm f2 is probably the best lens I've ever used, at the moment I just can't fault it. So my best lenses are probably the Sony 20mm f1.8 and the Vopigtlander 50mm f2.

My favourite lenses used to be the old Sigma 50 and 85mm f1.4's and later I decided that some of the film era lenses were my favourites, like the Minolt Rokkor 50mm f1.2 which I think gives a lovely look when stopped down. Ditto some other old lenses. These days I really like the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 classic and it might just be my favourite lens ever :D

24GM, 85GM and the 135GM, absolutely love all 3 of these. If I had to pick one probably the 24mm.

Mine...

4 of my favourites: 55 zeiss, sigma 135mm f1.8 and fuji 90mm f2. And fuji medium format 63mm f2.8.

The 55 zeiss is one of my all time favourites. Its size and speed count for so much. Perfectly balanced on the Mirrorless bodies. But the Zeiss 50mm is "better".

The sigma 135mm. Blew my socks off. Very sharp and I love the colour output. Its my favourite focal length for portraits. The compression and DOF are wonderful. A nicer look than you get with an 85, 105 or 70-200 imo. It's typically sigma, big and heavier than perhaps needed, but I'll forgive it that.

The fuji 90mm f2. Just a stunning lens all round. Same focal length as above in ff terms. Always find the images from this lens a bit special. Lovely colour and wide open the lens renders the background with really really pleasing bokeh.

Fuji gfx 63mm f2.8. Sharp. Nice size for medium format. Not crazy DOF But the quality of the out of focus area is sublime.

Mine...

I have a bit of a soft spot for my old Olympus 50mm f1.8, and always loved the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII. I think the Sony 100-400mm GM is the best ‘wildlife lens’ I’ve had. The sharpest lens I’ve owned is probably my the Nikon Z 50mm f1.8 S.

Best ‘kit’ lenses I’ve had are probably the Sony 16-50mm f2.8, and Olympus 12-40mm f2.8.

I have a bit of a soft spot for my old Olympus 50mm f1.8, and always loved the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII. I think the Sony 100-400mm GM is the best ‘wildlife lens’ I’ve had. The sharpest lens I’ve owned is probably my the Nikon Z 50mm f1.8 S.

Best ‘kit’ lenses I’ve had are probably the Sony 16-50mm f2.8, and Olympus 12-40mm f2.8.

Is that the film era Zuiko 50mm f1.8?

I have the 24, 28 and 35mm f2.8's, the 50mm f1.8 and f1.4, 85mm f2 and 135mm f3.5. I really like the 50mm f1.8 and all of the tiny f2.8's too. I think they look great but I generally prefer the Minolta Rokkors in use and for the look they give. The Zuiko 50mm f1.8 was on of the first lenses I used on my A7.

"So, if anyone is bored... what's your best lens/es or the best lens/es you've used and what's your favourite? "

I'm pretty sure the best lenses I've ever owned were the 65mm f4.5 and 150mm f4.5 for my Mamiya 6x7 rangefinder. Every time I look at one of the A3 prints I had made it's like the quality jumps off the paper.

My favourites to use though, the compact Olympus OM system; 24mm shift, 50mmf1.2, 100mm f2, 180mmf2.8

I'll play :D

Best lenses I have owned - 24GM, FE55, 85GM, 135GM, 100-400GM, sigma 14-24mm/2.8

Favourite lenses - 24GM, 24-105G, FE85/1.8 and old Sony 70-400G

Honourable mention for RX1RII. Really enjoyed using it and the lens is damn good! Prefer then lens to all 35mm options available on e-mount.

And few APS-C honourable mentions - Enjoyed using Sony 16-70mm and 10-18mm though they aren't anything write home about.

Last edited:

The Voigtländer 40/1.2E (as you probably already know) is my 'best' and favourite. If I could only own one lens, that would be it.

I also like the FE85 a lot which is strange because I didn't get on with the EF85/1.8 back in my Canon days.....

On the subject of Canon. The 135L. I used to shoot that alongside the 50/1.4 but the images from the 135mm were beautiful! My Canon body was the 5D2 btw.

When I first swapped to the A7, I use the Voigtländer 40/1.4 Classic in M mount and a Leitz Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 thin version. I sold that when I bought the Batis85 and I still regret that to this day! :( I got a good price for it, more than I paid, but I'd rather still have it.

I'm quite happy with what I have right now.....

I'm keeping an eye on the Tamron 70-180/2.8

And Alan with his FE20/1.8 purchase.... I could see that replacing both the Voigtländer 21/3.5 (landscape) & the Samyang 24/1.4 (Astro) as an all in one lens....

Nothing urgent though, just stuff to think about.

From a review of the Fuji X100V on DPR...

"And in an age where smartphones are rapidly approaching a level of image quality that we can expect from cameras with Four Thirds or even APS-C sensors,"

Is this true? Really honestly truly true?

Some people here must have high end phones, so what do you say? Are they that good?

As I've said may times, I often see pictures that look stunning on a phone screen but when I look at them on my pc they usually fall apart. It may be that I haven't seen pictures from the latest and greatest phones yet but so far nothing I've seen from a phone comes close to MFT for image quality if looking closely on a pc.

Last edited:
And Alan with his FE20/1.8 purchase.... I could see that replacing both the Voigtländer 21/3.5 (landscape) & the Samyang 24/1.4 (Astro) as an all in one lens....

or 24GM which is slightly better for astro :)

The Sony 20mm does seem to be a very nice lens but although I've never even held a Voigtlander 21mm I can see a couple of advantages for that lens, it's very compact and I'm sure it's a lovely thing to own and use. Those two things could well be things to consider very carefully. The Sony is a modern fly by wire AF lens without markings or end stops and is nowhere near as nice to use as an old style mechanical lens and I can see that mattering. The Sonys f1.8 and AF could be advantages and it's these things I bought it for but I think it's important to realise that it is a very different lens to the Voigtlander. For my intended uses the Sony is the better fit but for you... or anyone else already owning a Voigtlander 21mm it's a harder choice. Personally I'd like both :D The Sony for when the f1.8 and AF really are advantages and the Voigtlander for when I'm by myself and in relatively good light, or using a tripod.

And a PS to that.
I do like the modern Sony mount Voigtlanders. The 50mm f2 is the best lens I've ever used and I just love the 35mm f1.4 classic and the 40mm f1.2 has its charms too :D As objects to own and use and as lenses these need a good look at and I'm sure the 21mm is just the same :D

Last edited:
or 24GM which is slightly better for astro :)

And 50% more expensive. Slightly bigger and heavier but that's not by much.

The Sony 20mm does seem to be a very nice lens but although I've never even held a Voigtlander 21mm I can see a couple of advantages for that lens, it's very compact and I'm sure it's a lovely thing to own and use. Those two things could well be things to consider very carefully. The Sony is a modern fly by wire AF lens without markings or end stops and is nowhere near as nice to use as an old style mechanical lens and I can see that mattering. The Sonys f1.8 and AF could be advantages and it's these things I bought it for but I think it's important to realise that it is a very different lens to the Voigtlander. For my intended uses the Sony is the better fit but for you... or anyone else already owning a Voigtlander 21mm it's a harder choice. Personally I'd like both :D The Sony for when the f1.8 and AF really are advantages and the Voigtlander for when I'm by myself and in relatively good light, or using a tripod.

And a PS to that.
I do like the modern Sony mount Voigtlanders. The 50mm f2 is the best lens I've ever used and I just love the 35mm f1.4 classic and the 40mm f1.2 has its charms too :D As objects to own and use and as lenses these need a good look at and I'm sure the 21mm is just the same :D

Yes. I don't dislike the 21mm Voigtlander. It was more of a lens condensing thing really. The manual focus lenses are so much nicer to use though than a fly by wire lens without a doubt. You are correct there Alan.

There are times when I don't want to be the geek with the camera holding everything up and that's one of the times when AF and face detect come in handy. Mrs WW often says "Take my picture here" but of course when it's a manual lens it takes time (unless shooting zone/hyperfocal which I do do sometimes) and she gets annoyed and embarrassed when posing in public. A fast AF lens fixes all that but when I'm by myself and just wondering about taking pictures and time doesn't matter I'd probably take a manual lens more often than not.

When I'm in and out I often leave a slideshow on my pc and I look at it when I'm passing and it just so happens that at the moment every picture on it was taken with a manual lens :D

Last edited:
Back