The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Also "bigger" buffer (i.e. not physically bigger but it can hold more files since they are smaller).
I wish sony would add additional features like higher frame rate for example.

They work fine for me too - do you actually own said equipment???

Les
Do I actually own them? what kind of question is that? I wouldn’t be posting my problems otherwise
Have you clicked the YouTube link above? Even searched google? There is a high percentage of people with these issues. There was a poll on a Facebook group a few months back, 75% of people who replied had the same issues. I have passed on a lot of posts and info which are currently being investigated by technicians at Sony Europe which I chased up yesterday, hopefully we’ll have an update soon.

Received my two new lenses, Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and Sony 70-300 G. Anyone fancying these for use with their A7iii I would highly highly recommend them. The native connection with the camera blows the previous Tamron 70-300 with Sigma MC-11 combo away.
Tamron 28-75 f2.8 with 10 Stop ND filter

Sony 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 @ 300mm

I'm not saying there isn't a problem but my a7r4 and 200/600 work very well either on static or bif it does miss a few shots in a burst now and then but overall it does the job ,i tend to shoot at 1/3200 or above use wide area and no4 on the tracking speed and high frame rate

The a9mkII is quite a bit better it rarely drops shots and holds on to the subject like glue same settings as above but 20 fps i'ts my first choice of camera just about every time i go out .
Rob.

I wonder what the problem is? I assume Sony are aware and though they may not say anything maybe a fix will come one day.

I'd love to get out just for a few minutes but we're still isolating and it's ever more difficult for me to walk anyway as one foot has an intermittently painful bone spur and the other got attacked by a flying dinner plate yesterday. These things happen, such is life etc.

@Alchimaera71 FWIW people here can sometimes appear rude, blunt or condescending. Usually it's simply down to the written medium with a lack of expression through body language, tone of voice etc to modulate the words & deliver what they really mean. Most people are genuinely helpful and may occasionally appear to act in an arsolean manner simply because 'the internet'. After a while you get to know who the true arsoleans are (none of which have been commenting here) because it colours every aspect of their posting.
Bugger off ;)

I'm not saying there isn't a problem but my a7r4 and 200/600 work very well either on static or bif it does miss a few shots in a burst now and then but overall it does the job ,i tend to shoot at 1/3200 or above use wide area and no4 on the tracking speed and high frame rate

The a9mkII is quite a bit better it rarely drops shots and holds on to the subject like glue same settings as above but 20 fps i'ts my first choice of camera just about every time i go out .
Rob.
Count yourself lucky, from what I've seen its a small number of people that are not having the issue. Even on static images some come out and are just out of focus, its not shutter speed and not front / back focus. I did think it was IS related and so did a few others, turning that off I feel does improve it but sadly it doesn't cure it. I will report back when i hear more from sony but in the meantime it looks like the 200-600 will only be used on the A9 for me.

I wonder what the problem is? I assume Sony are aware and though they may not say anything maybe a fix will come one day.

I'd love to get out just for a few minutes but we're still isolating and it's ever more difficult for me to walk anyway as one foot has an intermittently painful bone spur and the other got attacked by a flying dinner plate yesterday. These things happen, such is life etc.

They actually did bring out a firmware update for the A7RIV to resolve this some time ago.

It didn't make any difference.

Count yourself lucky, from what I've seen its a small number of people that are not having the issue. Even on static images some come out and are just out of focus, its not shutter speed and not front / back focus. I did think it was IS related and so did a few others, turning that off I feel does improve it but sadly it doesn't cure it. I will report back when i hear more from sony but in the meantime it looks like the 200-600 will only be used on the A9 for me.

Having read around it seems like it is almost definitely IS
Hmm.... that's a bit disappointing tbh.

They do lens recalls sometimes (eg: 24-105, 16-35GM). I wonder if this will become one of those.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a quality bargain monopod, I have posted in the wanted section ;)

I'm looking for a quality bargain monopod, I have posted in the wanted section ;)
FWIW I recently bought this:
Benro MAD38C Adventure 8X Carbon Fibre Monopod
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YEUBNGW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was demonstrating to my bored wife just how economical I was being by using my ancient Manfrotto NeoTec monopod with my A9 and 200-600 when said monopod simply fell apart!
So I bought the Benro:LOL:
It's very good with that combo, small when not extended, tall enough when it is and light too.

FWIW I recently bought this:
Benro MAD38C Adventure 8X Carbon Fibre Monopod
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YEUBNGW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was demonstrating to my bored wife just how economical I was being by using my ancient Manfrotto NeoTec monopod with my A9 and 200-600 when said monopod simply fell apart!
So I bought the Benro:LOL:
It's very good with that combo, small when not extended, tall enough when it is and light too.

Thanks, appreciate the recommendation

Having read around it seems like it is almost definitely IS
Hmm.... that's a bit disappointing tbh.

They do lens recalls sometimes (eg: 24-105, 16-35GM). I wonder if this will become one of those.
What I find interesting is that I can hand hold the A9 at 1/160, I've never had any success with the R4 at 1/640 or below, even using a monopod i use 1/800 at a minimum and had more success using mode 3. I just took a shot of the same subject from the same point, the A9 put the shutter to half the speed and half the iso of the R4. Strange.

What I find interesting is that I can hand hold the A9 at 1/160, I've never had any success with the R4 at 1/640 or below, even using a monopod i use 1/800 at a minimum and had more success using mode 3. I just took a shot of the same subject from the same point, the A9 put the shutter to half the speed and half the iso of the R4. Strange.

Are you its just not that you cannot see those issues on A9 because its lower res. I did wonder how much of it was high-res amplifying the issue that's not visible at lower res.

1/400
49347271907_c937cd3308_b.jpg

1/250
49347279677_64236aaec2_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, A9 only arrived today. It's fine on the A7R3 too but not on the A7R4, That combo is literally 60%+ miss rate for me with many shots just totally out of focus. The last time i was out, I took 100 shots of a tree creeper testing all the settings to try and work it out, only 2 were any good and I've not used the combo since. I thought it was me at first but its so common and I've never had an issue with the 100-400 on the R4 or with the 200-600 on the A73 or A7R3, I even bought a second 200-600. There's a guy on one forum who returned his R4 and the replacement was even worse lol so I'm thinking its body related and possibly IS related, even at 1/2500 in mode 3 I can get issues on the R4.

Nope, A9 only arrived today. It's fine on the A7R3 too but not on the A7R4, That combo is literally 60%+ miss rate for me with many shots just totally out of focus. The last time i was out, I took 100 shots of a tree creeper testing all the settings to try and work it out, only 2 were any good and I've not used the combo since. I thought it was me at first but its so common and I've never had an issue with the 100-400 on the R4 or with the 200-600 on the A73 or A7R3, I even bought a second 200-600. There's a guy on one forum who returned his R4 and the replacement was even worse lol so I'm thinking its body related and possibly IS related, even at 1/2500 in mode 3 I can get issues on the R4.

or perhaps a combination of both body+lens that's not working.

I had a.f issues with my R4 as well and I didn’t have the 200-600 then. I just thought it was because I got used to the A9. I ditched it in the end as the project I need it for was finished.

Last edited:
Anyone got a grip for the A7RIV to flog before I buy through the usual channels?

I’m also after an arca L for my r4. I Had the smallrig for r3 and it was pretty chunky. Are there any thinner ones available? The main issue for me is I have one of the small Ona side bags that I like to carry body and 2 lenses in on days out and it was way too big as it added like an inch height to the body

Which kind of grip? I've got the smallrig L bracket but I was going to let that go with the R4 when i list it.

Both types (i.e. also a battery grip) actually, so yes would be interested in yours,

@Alchimaera71 FWIW people here can sometimes appear rude, blunt or condescending. Usually it's simply down to the written medium with a lack of expression through body language, tone of voice etc to modulate the words & deliver what they really mean. Most people are genuinely helpful and may occasionally appear to act in an arsolean manner simply because 'the internet'. After a while you get to know who the true arsoleans are (none of which have been commenting here) because it colours every aspect of their posting.

They say it helps if you picture them naked, I prefer not to.

Is there an advantage to using apsc over just cropping?
Smaller files, being able to visualise the actual image and I believe (although happy to be corrected) that it will meter differently as it’s only assessing the light from the crop frame rather than the FF.

I like how the kit lens matches the 24-70 gm on sharpness (never liked that lens) and the 85mm the 1.8 is sharper than the 1.4.

I think it's always been known the 85mm f/1.8 is a tiny bit sharper than the GM (along with much faster focussing). But I am surprised the kit lens is pretty much as sharp as the 24-70GM. Obviously there is much more to image quality than sharpness, still surprising though.

I think it's always been known the 85mm f/1.8 is a tiny bit sharper than the GM (along with much faster focussing). But I am surprised the kit lens is pretty much as sharp as the 24-70GM. Obviously there is much more to image quality than sharpness, still surprising though.
I've had three copies of the 24-70 gm and didn't like any of them, I find the 24-105 more useful and better once you hit 50mm. It's one lens I hope they do a mk2 version of.

But I am surprised the kit lens is pretty much as sharp as the 24-70GM.

TBH this doesn't surprise me at all - the kit lens is better than the old 'food grade' kit lenses that were just in the box to give a consumer something to take pictures with at the start.

TBH this doesn't surprise me at all - the kit lens is better than the old 'food grade' kit lenses that were just in the box to give a consumer something to take pictures with at the start.

Oh of course, I quite liked it in the 28-35mm area, not so much passed that. But still a lens that changes hands for £100 regularly vs a £1200+ lens it's still quite a shock.

Last edited:
What a flawed test :oops: :$ DXO really have went to the dogs. They hardly tested any of the current lenses with no lens made in the last 3 years tested.

At least this one makes a little sense.

https://sonyalpha.blog/2019/11/10/which-lenses-to-maximise-the-potential-of-the-sony-a7riv/

yeah even though I don't entirely agree with that blog, its a lot better than DXO's list which is really outdated. I can't believe they released a list like that without testing a single recent lens.

yeah even though I don't entirely agree with that blog, its a lot better than DXO's list which is really outdated. I can't believe they released a list like that without testing a single recent lens.

It looks very like DXO have just copied and pasted a review from one of the older camera models and just changed the name of the camera model.

DXO have not been relevant for years now.

Back