The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I seem to remember reading that somewhere a while back maybe they will change that. It’s quite popular here we got married outdoors ourselves and that was about 12 years ago. Outdoor ceremonies are probably my favourite.

I know you can in Scotland, I shot a wedding outdoors but in England I've never shot an 100% outdoor wedding, all the outdoor ones have the couple under some canopy.

Last edited:
I know you can in Scotland, I shot a wedding outdoors but in England I've never shot an 100% outdoor wedding, all the outdoor ones have the double under some canopy.

I was reading some talk about this elsewhere last night. General consensus was that most couples that want to get married outdoors in England do. But they then have to go and do the legal bit at a registry office before or after.

The rumor site says Sony europe are offering $200 cashback on the A7III. I wonder if that'll come here?

Didn't people here say that you can only get cashback on a certain number of purchases though?

A quote from The Online Photograher...

Nigel Voak, "I’m not sure anymore whether I am interested in photography, or if I use photography to explore the things I am interested in."

I was reading some talk about this elsewhere last night. General consensus was that most couples that want to get married outdoors in England do. But they then have to go and do the legal bit at a registry office before or after.

Yes, meaning the ceremony part is for show, if they have done the legal part already, they are technically already married (or not yet if they do it after). To have it legal, where a registrar is there with the papers, it has to have a roof. And I believe only half a dozen venues have a licence for that.

Hi, I know this has been raised on here but I am looking for some real life experience of the A7riv and the 200-600mm combo.

i am not a wildlife photographer by any means but thought I would give it a bash. The 200-600mm being a reasonably affordable option to get up close.

I shot hares in some fields close to me and this worked well. Running it tracked and shot good images.

it’s when it comes to fast moving small animals is where I am not so sure and if it’s;

1. My expectations are too high (it’s a £1800 lens not the £10k G Master) It’s A7 not an A9.View attachment 280839
2. I don’t have the correct settings
3. Either body or lens need to go to Sony

Scenario 1 - Bird leaving nest box. I focus on the bird at the nest box hole. Hit the focus hit the shutter and it doesn’t track the bird. High shutter speeds 1/4000th. Tried all tracking and non-tracking options. Also different
Scenario 2 - Bees on flowers. I focus on the bee on the plant waiting for it to lift. When it takes flight the focus won’t track the bee.

I don’t have a bench mark as I didn’t own the lens with a different body.

Can anyone share photos taken with this combo with fast moving subjects. Share how they are using the combo and in what type of situation.

Many thanks
Simon
D853D943-36B7-4220-93FD-68CD99CEF597.jpeg

Not really sure what you are expecting to see?
Your hare looks fine at that res, pixel peeping may show more.

49159926186_624b263b02_b.jpg

49154772641_04c1f2537c_b.jpg

49947577118_ef8e10f046_b.jpg

49947576868_fb8b27bcb2_b.jpg

Yes, meaning the ceremony part is for show, if they have done the legal part already, they are technically already married (or not yet if they do it after). To have it legal, where a registrar is there with the papers, it has to have a roof. And I believe only half a dozen venues have a licence for that.

Seems we may have a few that want to sort of just have a wedding day for “show” here as well.

This morning 2 couples that have postponed to next year have got in touch saying they are keeping those new dates but are also going to have a smaller ceremony outdoors so that they can get married now. Which will be nice for us as we will be getting two weddings with the same couples. :ROFLMAO:

Seems we may have a few that want to sort of just have a wedding day for “show” here as well.

This morning 2 couples that have postponed to next year have got in touch saying they are keeping those new dates but are also going to have a smaller ceremony outdoors so that they can get married now. Which will be nice for us as we will be getting two weddings with the same couples. :ROFLMAO:

I've had a few for show weddings in the UK, but they never needed me on the registrars part as typically they do that but on the Thursday before with just immediate family then the wedding on the Saturday.

It feels totally normal with the exception it’s a friend typically doing the ceremony with no posing for the signing at all. But it can be tricky though if it’s middle of the day and they are not in shade.

I've had a few for show weddings in the UK, but they never needed me on the registrars part as typically they do that but on the Thursday before with just immediate family then the wedding on the Saturday.

It feels totally normal with the exception it’s a friend typically doing the ceremony with no posing for the signing at all. But it can be tricky though if it’s middle of the day and they are not in shade.

For these the couples are having a celebrant do the the mini wedding but they are both religious and so what do the whole church thing for the fake wedding.

Not really sure what you are expecting to see?
Your hare looks fine at that res, pixel peeping may show more.

49159926186_624b263b02_b.jpg

49154772641_04c1f2537c_b.jpg

49947577118_ef8e10f046_b.jpg

49947576868_fb8b27bcb2_b.jpg
Thanks for the images. I was looking to see some results from birds in flight with this combo. These are great.

My combo worked for me with the hares but I can’t get it to lock on af with smaller targets as stated -
small garden birds and bees.

Any tips or tricks on set up to try?

Just want to make sure this is me and not a camera or lens issue that needs a trip to Sony under warranty.

I plan to head down to the local lake and practice on some ducks flying. Start with a bigger target.

Hi, I know this has been raised on here but I am looking for some real life experience of the A7riv and the 200-600mm combo.

i am not a wildlife photographer by any means but thought I would give it a bash. The 200-600mm being a reasonably affordable option to get up close.

I shot hares in some fields close to me and this worked well. Running it tracked and shot good images.

it’s when it comes to fast moving small animals is where I am not so sure and if it’s;

1. My expectations are too high (it’s a £1800 lens not the £10k G Master) It’s A7 not an A9.View attachment 280839
2. I don’t have the correct settings
3. Either body or lens need to go to Sony

Scenario 1 - Bird leaving nest box. I focus on the bird at the nest box hole. Hit the focus hit the shutter and it doesn’t track the bird. High shutter speeds 1/4000th. Tried all tracking and non-tracking options. Also different
Scenario 2 - Bees on flowers. I focus on the bee on the plant waiting for it to lift. When it takes flight the focus won’t track the bee.

I don’t have a bench mark as I didn’t own the lens with a different body.

Can anyone share photos taken with this combo with fast moving subjects. Share how they are using the combo and in what type of situation.

Many thanks
Simon
View attachment 280840
You shouldn't really be comparing the 200-600G with a prime super telephoto GM lens. It's more likely to be put up against the 100-400GM. I have both these lenses it's certainly not a question of sharpness that would govern my decision to use either lens on a particular day, it would be a question of portability, the 100-400GM is quite "dinky" compared to the 200-600G but IMHO you'd need to pixel peep to notice the difference.

As far as comparing the performance of an A7 series against the A9, I had the A7RIII which was a fantastic body in terms of the sensor etc. but for wildlife it was something of a frustrating experience in terms of tracking, EVF blackout and acquisition of focus. The A9 that I changed to is streets ahead in those areas but of course the A7Riv has other superb qualities that are not necessarily needed by a wildlife photographer like me, I'm very happy I made the choice to change.

Thanks for the images. I was looking to see some results from birds in flight with this combo. These are great.

My combo worked for me with the hares but I can’t get it to lock on af with smaller targets as stated -
small garden birds and bees.

Any tips or tricks on set up to try?

Just want to make sure this is me and not a camera or lens issue that needs a trip to Sony under warranty.

I plan to head down to the local lake and practice on some ducks flying. Start with a bigger target.

Good luck tracking small garden birds, most camera and lens combination will struggle at that.

From what I have read if there is an issue it's really obvious i.e. even static objects aren't focused on properly.

As for tips, I use real time AF with either medium flexible spot or zone. I have turned off all the other option in camera and depending on subject I switch between the two quickly using custom button. Experience with the tracking sensitivity as that can make some difference too.

Has anyone seen @rookies in a while?

I know he was a bit annoyed at someone in particular here and haven’t seen him post since.

Oh dear, yup... Where is rookies?

And Ali too. I was interested to know how they got on with the A7II.

Who annoyed him?
Didn't seem like the that'd get into arguments tbh lol

The teacher was a tool to him and rookies seemed to stop posting not long after. Could be just coincidence maybe he just hasn’t time for here at the moment.

Last edited:
I don't remember anything about that.

Rookies and anyone else out there.... You're more than welcome here :D

PS.
Just done a search and Rookies last posted on 13th April but last seen today at 12:58.

Last edited:
Voigtlander say the 40mm f1.2 SE in E mount will be released on 24th June.

As far as I know these new 40 and 50mm f1.2 SE lenses are optically the same as existing e mount lenses but without the declicking mechanism and they've also lost the scalloped focus ring and instead have a knurled one. I prefer the scalloped ones. These SE's should be cheaper though. The new 35mm f1.2 SE is new to e mount.

There's some talk and some 35mm f1.2 samples here which no doubt will be added to as more people get the lens...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1643262/0

Last edited:
You shouldn't really be comparing the 200-600G with a prime super telephoto GM lens. It's more likely to be put up against the 100-400GM. I have both these lenses it's certainly not a question of sharpness that would govern my decision to use either lens on a particular day, it would be a question of portability, the 100-400GM is quite "dinky" compared to the 200-600G but IMHO you'd need to pixel peep to notice the difference.

As far as comparing the performance of an A7 series against the A9, I had the A7RIII which was a fantastic body in terms of the sensor etc. but for wildlife it was something of a frustrating experience in terms of tracking, EVF blackout and acquisition of focus. The A9 that I changed to is streets ahead in those areas but of course the A7Riv has other superb qualities that are not necessarily needed by a wildlife photographer like me, I'm very happy I made the choice to change.
Thanks - I am super happy with the A7riv. Had the A7iii and A7r3 before this. I like the balance of the 200-600mm And crop option in APC-S.
Horses for courses and the A7riv meets all my needs and more. Just working out it’s compromises.

Good luck tracking small garden birds, most camera and lens combination will struggle at that.

From what I have read if there is an issue it's really obvious i.e. even static objects aren't focused on properly.

As for tips, I use real time AF with either medium flexible spot or zone. I have turned off all the other option in camera and depending on subject I switch between the two quickly using custom button. Experience with the tracking sensitivity as that can make some difference too.
Thanks - no obvious issues. When I get the focus right things are sharp. More practice with the AF for moving subjects.26D35C33-C3C3-438E-BE0C-B74D3236DF16.jpeg

Thanks - no obvious issues. When I get the focus right things are sharp. More practice with the AF for moving subjects.View attachment 280887
Well looks like you have no issue with the gear. (y)

As said in one of my posts before the chances are a good majority of bodies don't have this issue. It's just that no one will come online to post how their body works as expected
On the other hand any issues almost always ends up on some forum online.

Has anyone seen @rookies in a while?

I know he was a bit annoyed at someone in particular here and haven’t seen him post since.
He’s been quiet full stop. He posted a message on my FB yesterday but it’s the first I’ve heard since the first few weeks of lockdown.

Me.

I can’t remember his user name I have him on my block list. He was a teacher and a bit of a tool that’s all I remember.

This was me, wasn't a tool at all just trying to help him out. Yet again I see the forum bully making digs at people. I am on your blocked list (not that you'll see this) because you had a go at me and didn't like it when I didn't agree over something that had absolutely nothing to do with you.

He’s been quiet full stop. He posted a message on my FB yesterday but it’s the first I’ve heard since the first few weeks of lockdown.

Hopefully the current situation isn’t causing him any issues.

Me.

This was me, wasn't a tool at all just trying to help him out. Yet again I see the forum bully making digs at people. I am on your blocked list (not that you'll see this) because you had a go at me and didn't like it when I didn't agree over something that had absolutely nothing to do with you.

I'm sure you're welcome here Tom.

I can't remember if this has been posted or not so at the risk of repetition...

Tamron 70-180mm first impressions at Admiring Light...

https://admiringlight.com/blog/first-impressions-tamron-70-180mm-f-2-8-di-iii-vxd/

On focus...

"I’ve only had limited time with the lens so far, but my first impression of the autofocus is amazement. This lens focuses exceptionally quickly. It may be the fastest overall focusing lens I’ve ever used. In good light, focus acquisition is for all intents and purposes instantaneous. The lens is in focus seemingly at the exact moment your finger finishes the half press to lock focus. In dimmer light, it’s still very fast, but becomes more deliberate as light levels continue to fall. The only time focus speed seems to drop significantly at all is if you are focusing on very close subjects. In my short time with the lens, focus has been quite accurate too. I need to test tracking AF thoroughly, so I’ll cover that in my full review. One area where I have had some issues is when shooting very distant subjects (from about 60 feet to infinity) using AF-S mode at around 180mm. in this mode, I have seen a tendency for the lens to front-focus, making the distant subject just slightly out of focus…enough to make the image rather soft. Using AF-C, focus has been accurate under these conditions."

He seems to be using it on an A7RIV.

Well I never! :D

Last edited:
e-infinity are listing the Tamron 70-180 £929.
Out of stock..

I saw a review somewhere where someone tested lenses on the a7iv and the sigma fared alot better than the GM

Edit - it was the sony alpha blog. In his kit list he sold the GM when he upgraded to the a7iv as the sigma was better at the higher resolution.
I'm still impressed at how well the 24-105 holds up in those tests

Last edited:
e-infinity are listing the Tamron 70-180 £929.
Out of stock..

Panamoz are the same, they have no Sony cameras in stock. Is it Covid or the start of the crackdown against the grey market?

I was just think about 70-180 v 70-200mm. I'm sometimes disappointed to have to crop but cropping from 180mm fov to 200mm should rarely cause too many problems. Maybe for most people deciding between 180 and 200mm could be a mental thing rather than too much of a real world issue and on the positive side of things it keeps the size, weight and filter size down.

Panamoz are the same, they have no Sony cameras in stock. Is it Covid or the start of the crackdown against the grey market?

Cracking down on grey is all well and good but many will still have to order on line as there are often few if any local suppliers. Oh for the days there were three good camera shops in town.

I will be certainly getting the tamron 70-180mm based on all the reviews.
My new 3 lens travel setup:
16-35GM, 24-105mm, 70-180mm.
might throw in FE50/1.8 or FE55/1.8 but we'll see....
All will fit nicely in my tenba cooper 13 slim.

Last edited:
Back