The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

L-bracket is better at least IME for smaller/lighter lenses. I honestly don't think it's a problem with such a light lens. I had and used heavier lenses with no collar.

Anyway I have made my mind up, tamron for me. It's fast reliable state of the art AF, F2.8 and better IQ is enough to sway me away from 70-200mm f4.
But that’s what works best for you, not me :p

I have never had an F/4 lens, I think the smallest aperture lens was my Canon kit lens? The 18-55/3.5-5.6. Replaced that with a Tamron 17-50/2.8 and that was that.

I have never had an F/4 lens, I think the smallest aperture lens was my Canon kit lens? The 18-55/3.5-5.6. Replaced that with a Tamron 17-50/2.8 and that was that.

I've got an old Minolta 70-210 MD f4 I could sell you to fill that void, I've just replaced it :D

I like a tripod foot on a lens as I like to carry my camera with one.

Bored...

:tumbleweed:

I'd like to go for a walk up the hills and see if there are any bluebells :D Will have to wait a while and see what the govt says and how family feel about us coming out of isolation.

Been thinking about buying a more compact tripod. I hardly use them but would like to do some longer exposure stuff with the 20mm f1.8. My Benbo and ball head do the job but I've been thinking about something a bit more compact.

Maybe this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

I don't know how good that ball head is of if it'd take mine. I'll have to look into that.

Ah, in the questions and answers bit they say the head does come off so you can fit something else.

I once left my Benbo propped up against a wall at Saltburn and forgot it. I went back later and it was still there but maybe no one knew what it was and therefore didn't bother pinching it :D

Last edited:
Bored...

I'd like to go for a walk up the hills and see if there are any bluebells :D Will have to wait a while and see what the govt says and how family feel about us coming out of isolation.

Been thinking about buying a more compact tripod. I hardly use them but would like to do some longer exposure stuff with the 20mm f1.8. My Benbo and ball head do the job but I've been thinking about something a bit more compact.

Maybe this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

I don't know how good that ball head is of if it'd take mine. I'll have to look into that.

Ah, in the questions and answers bit they say the head does come off so you can fit something else.

I once left my Benbo propped up against a wall at Saltburn and forgot it. I went back later and it was still there but maybe no one knew what it was and therefore didn't bother pinching it :D

I was actually looking at that just yesterday, now I am looking at this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M6HMZTB

I like the alpha edition, but find flip locks so much quicker and less chance of overtightening. I bought a manfrotto last month, I went for the 4 section 190 Pro with the Xpro ballhead, I will be using it in a couple of hours for some macro

Edit - 3 legged thing do some really compact tripods

Last edited:
Bored...

Bluebells round here were at their best three weeks ago, all dead now but Foxgloves are now in bloom. I’ll dig out some photos :)

Bluebells are well past it here..... You might find the odd good looking single bunch for a close up but I wouldn't expect anything else.

I bought a 3 Legged Thing Travis not long ago for just over £100. Not strictly compact but certainly pretty light imo.

I like the alpha edition, but find flip locks so much quicker and less chance of overtightening. I bought a manfrotto last month, I went for the 4 section 190 Pro with the Xpro ballhead, I will be using it in a couple of hours for some macro

Edit - 3 legged thing do some really compact tripods
I think flip locks versus twist locks is down to personal preference and neither are wrong or right. I have twist locks on a couple of gitzo tripods and find them to be good. You can open several with a single twist, drop the leg and do each of them up. The gitzo locks are 1/4 to 1/2 a turn so don’t need much turning. I don’t miss pinching my finger in a flip lock or trapping a glove when closing one.

The best tripod accessory I’ve ever bought was sn uniqball head. The levelling ball base makes using and levelling so much quicker. The only problem is you can really use it on s smaller travel/compact tripod.

Bored...

Maybe this...

Take a look at the Velbon Ultra Rexi L (or whatever the replacement is for it), I have it and it's a great tripod for walking. Tiny when collapsed but just about tall enough for me at 6'4" when fully extended and a ballhead attached. Stable enough and a great locking mechanism.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrFyf_UdVLY

Couple from earlier in the week with the fox cubs. I need a longer lens - well, actually I need a GOOD longer lens, having 2 completely crap 500mm jobs (mirror and an old 'long' tele type).

Fox cubs-00795 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Fox cubs-00855 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

My youngest loves foxes, but they are difficult to find here. Closest we have come is catching one running through the street on CCTV in the early hours of the morning.

Take a look at the Velbon Ultra Rexi L (or whatever the replacement is for it), I have it and it's a great tripod for walking. Tiny when collapsed but just about tall enough for me at 6'4" when fully extended and a ballhead attached. Stable enough and a great locking mechanism.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrFyf_UdVLY

After the last terrible, flimsy mess of a velbon tripod I owned I wouldn’t recommended them.

Manfrotto Befree GT Carbon is a good shout. I’ve been using mine in the last week.

Having just decided to spend a little time 'enjoying' the Sony menus, enabling manual focus magnification and also steadyshot for manual lenses, it seems my telescope style tele may actually not be so bad apart from letting very little light in (looks like a 62mm filter). Might well give it another go soon with that instead. :)

Council house lenses? LUXURY! There were 15 of us livin' in shoe box cross road.....

;)

Looking forward to my used Benbo turning up. :cool:

After the last terrible, flimsy mess of a velbon tripod I owned I wouldn’t recommended them.

Manfrotto Befree GT Carbon is a good shout. I’ve been using mine in the last week.
Can't comment on other velbons but the ultra rexi L has been rock solid and never seen any complaints (y)

Love this. I envy you Toni.

Our neighbour told me about them - they seem to have a burrow in the corner of a field on the opposite bank of the local canal. Presumably because it's relatively safe they are happy to come out and play in the open, knowing we're there. During the evening a deer crossed the field behind them, though it was a LOT more cautious.

We often see badgers and deer, but foxes tend to be much more cautious, even though the area is full of them - this is a treat for us too.

Gave the 500 Panagor telescope-style telephoto a try this afternoon in the garden (all 100% crops):
500 lens test-00891.jpg

So we went out tonight, and of course there were no foxes, however I did see what I think is a reed warbler and did the compulsory moon-shot. They're pretty ugly, with the noise at 10000 ISO and a 100% crop not being ideal.

500 lens test-00896.jpg

500 lens test-00903.jpg

I think the lens is better than expected, and I'll re-visit the foxes as soon as I'm able.

What do you get for that, a picture of it? ;)

They made a mistake with the pricing so doubt any order will be honoured. I ordered 2 on seperate orders just in case. They have updated it with the correct price already.

They have taken the money starting to get hopes up :oops: :$

This whole forum is hoping they honour that price for you so we can all tell the "I know of someone who picked up an a9ii" story down the pub.
I am trying to decide between the a6400 and the a6600 and failing miserably. With the cashback on the a6600 and the 16-55 F2.8 there is only a 300 quid price difference now between the 2 cameras..

edit - that is the problem with sales, I only started out looking at the 6400+18-135 kit! To be fair, the 16-55 does get really good reviews and if I am going to get a zoom, I might as well get a good one.

Last edited:
This whole forum is hoping they honour that price for you so we can all tell the "I know of someone who picked up an a9ii" story down the pub.
I am trying to decide between the a6400 and the a6600 and failing miserably. With the cashback on the a6600 and the 16-55 F2.8 there is only a 300 quid price difference now between the 2 cameras..

edit - that is the problem with sales, I only started out looking at the 6400+18-135 kit! To be fair, the 16-55 does get really good reviews and if I am going to get a zoom, I might as well get a good one.

No one is hoping harder than me :ROFLMAO:

Would be very surprised if they will let it go through when its such an obvious misprice, but if your not in you can't win.

Think the difference between those two is mainly down to the I.B.I.S I had an A6400 for a while and really liked it. I had the Sigma 16 f/1.4, 30 f/1.4 and 56 f/1.4 they were all great.

Last edited:
Back