The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

recommendations please for a nice prime for A7,thinking 35mm or 50/55?

Both! :D assuming the 35mm is the 35mm f2.8. Be aware that with the latter if there are bright lights in the scene you're photographing you can get sensor/ lens reflections. Google this issue and you can read up on it. Personally, it doesn't bother me. The 55mm f1.8 is IMO excellent but be aware that there's a cheaper 50mm f1.8 these days too.

You could get the prime or two you think you'll use most and cover your once a year needs with cheap manual lenses.

The 55mm is very nice. I got a bit of envy when the 50 1.4 was released, but looking at a number of side by side comparisons, I decided to keep the 55mm given the massive difference in price.

A bit...scary... and makes me think of "The midnight meat train" oh er... but I still like it :D

and STOP POSTING A6000 pictures as I want one!!!!!!

Unfortunately I have too much MFT gear to switch.

You know, I sold my Sony A6000 via ebay.
And then I realised that I made a mistake.
So I bought another one from here.
I like it a lot.
I have A7R II, but still A6000 is a good add on. sometimes i prefer it over the 42mpx of A7R II
And I know may be it sounds silly, but some of my lens I like them more on the Sony A6000 vs the A7R II

recommendations please for a nice prime for A7,thinking 35mm or 50/55?

It depends from your budget really.

And very important question how much do you need the AF:

- Very fast AF - native lens like 35mm F/2.8 (super light - around 120g if I am correct), Sony 55mm F/1.8 (I got it recently I still have some mixed feeling about it, but it is just universal tool)
- Good AF - I would suggest (if the weight is not a problem) - Sigma MC-11 + Sigma 35mm ART and Sigma 50mm ART (again - this is my opinion - I have 35mm ART and the results on both A6000 and A7R II are amazing, amazing detail)
- Only Manual focus - endless possibilities with the legacy lenses and adapters... so creative (and slow manual focus of course :) )

Last edited:
Thanks everyone,food for thought there.maybe im leaning towards around the 50/55 fl first,i take alot of pics of my 9 cats
and that would be preferrable to the wider 35 for that i believe and could still be a decent street length do you think?

Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 is a stellar lens, the 35mm f2.8 isn't bad either and both are rather small in size however prices have jumped massively :(

I wasn't really a fan of the 35, maybe to slow for me. Nice size and weight if you can live with the aperture.

Last edited:
Get the 55. Every Sony user should have one. It's excellent and fairly dinky.

I'd only really suggest the 35mm 1.4 if you are using it for perhaps paid jobs or if you have a large budget like Rizvan.

For me, it was too large to use as a street/carry around lens. But I used it on the a7 for bridal prep and it was exceptional. Yes - I miss it. But I have a sigma art 35mm 1.4 being delivered today so I hope that performs nearly as well.

I've read the master 2470 and 70200 aren't as good as bloggers will have you believe.

I saw the angry photographer but up a video about it, but I haven't watched it yet.

In fact, I think you are the angry photographer. It makes perfect sense. You went awol when the xt2 was released. You were busy doing 12 reviews and tests a day on the camera and too busy for the forum. I'm on to you..

I saw the angry photographer but up a video about it, but I haven't watched it yet.

In fact, I think you are the angry photographer. It makes perfect sense. You went awol when the xt2 was released. You were busy doing 12 reviews and tests a day on the camera and too busy for the forum. I'm on to you..

Not just him.

He's a lot more rotund and squeaky..... and older and angrier than me. Not that interested in the xt2 tbh. You going back to Sony....
Again?

I've read the master 2470 and 70200 aren't as good as bloggers will have you believe.

I am afraid I have agree about the FE 70-200mm f2.8 G Master, I only tested it for a short while before I sold it but I wasn't that impressed with it, it was no sharper than my original 70-200mm f4 and having a £2499 price tag I felt it wasn't worth it.
However I found the FE 24-70mm f2.8 and FE 85mm f1.4 G Master's to be stellar lenses but again they aren't cheap lenses.

Having now moved to Fuji I am finding no issues with the lenses and the images they produce, so for me this just re-enforced my opinion that if you can stop pixel peeping then they are just as sharp and special.
The cost of the Sony system Vs the actual end result didn't work for me, granted its a great system.
The Fuji system gives me 95% of the results for less than 50% of the cost of the Sony gear I have. :D

I am afraid I have agree about the FE 70-200mm f2.8 G Master, I only tested it for a short while before I sold it but I wasn't that impressed with it, it was no sharper than my original 70-200mm f4 and having a £2499 price tag I felt it wasn't worth it.
However I found the FE 24-70mm f2.8 and FE 85mm f1.4 G Master's to be stellar lenses but again they aren't cheap lenses.

Having now moved to Fuji I am finding no issues with the lenses and the images they produce, so for me this just re-enforced my opinion that if you can stop pixel peeping then they are just as sharp and special.
The cost of the Sony system Vs the actual end result didn't work for me, granted its a great system.
The Fuji system gives me 95% of the results for less than 50% of the cost of the Sony gear I have. :D
I prefer full frame sensors

New owner of an A7R here, waiting for it to arrive, cant wait, just need to get rid of that D800E now.

65 shots in 35 minutes = 2 batteries down :-(

That doesn't sound right at all.

Last time I went out with my camera I took over 200 shots in 4 or 5 hours and although I stuck the second battery in I only took in the region of 20 shots with it if that.

Strange. Should get around 400 per battery

eh? That's a bit optimistic isn't it? Or have I got a couple of weaklings? Should get more than 65 for two batteries though. It does look like a cold day but last time I was out there was widespread frost on the beach too and I still managed about 180 or so on the first battery.

Jon, have you got aeroplane mode disabled and have you stopped jump starting your car with your camera? :D

eh? That's a bit optimistic isn't it? Or have I got a couple of weaklings? Should get more than 65 for two batteries though. It does look like a cold day but last time I was out there was widespread frost on the beach too and I still managed about 180 or so on the first battery.

Jon, have you got aeroplane mode disabled and have you stopped jump starting your car with your camera? :D

TBH when I was doing a portrait session I'd put the battery grip on and shoot approx 400 shots and still have plenty left on the 2nd battery. Granted it wasn't in the sub zero temperatures and I would switch the camera off if there was any delay between shots i.e. changing up the posing. Would never get less than 300 shots off one battery.

I've just realised I got that the wrong way round, aeroplane mode should be on so that the camera isn't looking for a connection.

Back