The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Very possible, but I think its more a case of maximizing Sony's bottom line! PROFIT. :D

I'm sure that profit was involved at some stage

Options include;

Fitting the internal minimum flash storage, components etc. required in the camera (minimise unit price)
Not keeping software teams active for 'older' models (minimise staff costs / maximise resource available for new projects)
Deliberately not retrofitting improvements to increase take up of new models

All are driven by profit, but only the last could be attributed to greed!
(I'm not claiming the last isn't the reason, but just pointing out there are other possibilities)

Funny you should mention that, I do like the appeal of the A7S / SII type of design as it gives you incredible ISO/DR abilities.
If only Fuji did this for their APS-C line, we could then see better ISO/DR putting it closer to the 24mp FF variants for DR/ISO abilities. :D

Considering I mainly do travel - the high ISO capabilities of the A7s appeals a lot. If the mpx count were to increase a little that'd be just dandy. We'll see where Sony take the S, as I hope to upgrade within a year.

Sure. But what's stopping Sony releasing fixes for software flaws? What's stopping them creating more intuitive menus? What's stopping Sony adding features that wouldn't invoke extra processor power? Nothing, other than their bottom line. I think that much is obvious.

As I said earlier, unless you have access to the internal details of the cameras it's impossible to answer this.
Cameras are not PC's; the firmware is stored on very limited amounts of non volatile memory, and will likely have used most if not all that is available for the existing functionality.

I don't work on consumer cameras, I do however earn my living designing and developing software and firmware, for both PC and embedded platforms.
Working on an embedded platform is MUCH harder, you have to optimise everything, and take a lot of care over memory usage.
If a feature won't fit, then it gets left out, cut in scope so that it does fit, or deferred until a new revision of the hardware is available that can support it.

It might be corporate greed that is preventing revised firmware being released, but it could also be their software engineers have already optimise the firmware so that every last scrap of space is used, and there is simply no option to add anything to it.

Duplicate

Last edited:
Rather than like every one... great shots there Charley and for me especially the sunstar one :D

Just on general stuff... There's an interesting short piece on The Online Photographer about good and great pictures and how the big names also take pictures that suck...

http://theonlinephotographer.typepa.../2017/05/one-weird-thing-about-landscape.html

And now some waffle :D He uses the word "exposures" and maybe I'm wrong to fixate on that word but to me this highlights the difference between technically good pictures and pictures that are good for other reasons.

Some time ago I was shown some technically very good pictures which were going into an exhibition and were obviously technically interesting and well done but otherwise quite boring, as in the subject was boring to me. I sometimes take pictures which just might be technically good (maybe I got the focus and exposure right) but boring to anyone else but because of the subject I like them and I sometimes take pictures to test the kit and end up liking them so can a technical picture be not just good but great? As someone who can look at a circuit board and see art and even beauty I'd say it can.

Last edited:
Rather than like every one... great shots there Charley and for me especially the sunstar one :D

Many thanks, they're ok snaps rather than great or even good , memories of a lovely short walk. My two favourite shots were actually fun selfies (with friend plus buildings) taken on my iPhone6.
Incidentally he's rather more creative and tends to use high quality f2.8 zooms on his Nikons. Likes taking abstracts and patterns as well as architecture and edits his photos with lightroom.

What I really like is the character of loxia snaps despite my failings as a photographer. I know they (the 35 and 50 certainly) aren't the sharpest lenses in their focal length, but they produce pleasing results to my eye.
I took the Sony macro 90 to take some architectural detail and didn't like one shot. Though that's not entirely a fair comment, because it excels as a macro for which it was designed. But it is painfully heavy on the neck. The 35 on my a7ii is my perfect carry.

Got my 24-240 yesterday, just in time for holiday next week. I've always liked superzooms (had the Nikon 18-300 for a long time), and this looks to be a very good one. Pretty impressed with first few test shots. Certainly light years ahead of the awful kit lens.

Keeping my 50 Summilux for now as the small and fast partner lens....but may chop that in for a 28 F2 soon.

Got my 24-240 yesterday, just in time for holiday next week. I've always liked superzooms (had the Nikon 18-300 for a long time), and this looks to be a very good one. Pretty impressed with first few test shots. Certainly light years ahead of the awful kit lens.

Keeping my 50 Summilux for now as the small and fast partner lens....but may chop that in for a 28 F2 soon.

My first lens when I went digital with a Canon 300D was a Sigma 28-300mm. To be honest that lens is relatively poor but the focal range was good even though I initially couldn't understand why 28mm wasn't all that wide anymore :D and only later found out about APS-C and crop factors :D Anyway, despite the relatively humble kit I took some of my favourite pictures ever with that lens, pictures I still look at and like today :D

Hope you enjoy your superzoom :D

A7r for £879 - must... resist... second... upgrade... in 2 months...:runaway:
One thing that I've found helps is putting all my cameras and lenses together on a table, seeing it all there usually makes me think I have too much gear already and cures gas. If you can't fit everything on a table you almost certainly don't need any more.

oh no, I can fit everything on table!! Time to go find a 120-300mm/2.8

or should I buy m43 :thinking:

Last edited:
I want an a6500 but the price hasn't really dropped enough. I think they dropped the ball with these releases, the a6500 is really a fix for the a6300.

Jason Lanier A9 high ISO test and Shaiful Baker‎ electronic shutter under artificial light comparison all at the rumor site...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-sony-a9-tests-manuel-ortiz-jason-lanier/#disqus_thread

The rolling shutter issue doesn't bother me but the banding issue does and if the electronic shutter can overcome this I'd be very pleased :D but not pleased enough to spend A9 money :D

PS.
Jason, you've got a dust bunny there mate.

Last edited:
I want an a6500 but the price hasn't really dropped enough. I think they dropped the ball with these releases, the a6500 is really a fix for the a6300.

A6500 is £1,037 on eglobal. £200 cheaper than it is with this cash back deal

Yeah but still to much imo, id say it should be around 800-850. UK prices are pretty funny.

Remind me how much the higher end MFT and APS-C CSC's are from the competition. Are they £800-850?

Remind me how much the higher end MFT and APS-C CSC's are from the competition. Are they £800-850?

I never said they should cost as much as they do ;)... camera pricing has gone mad since I last bought new though.

The a6300 is so much cheaper than the a6500, the a6500 isn't a big step up, it's more of a fix at a much higher price tag. Poor early adopters of a6300... 6 months later they get shafted.

Last edited:
I agree that we all want gold for the price of silver but when everyone else is charging way over £1k for their top end crop cameras it'd be interesting if Sony sold theirs for £800-850.

Looking at the cameras I can see room for the A6000, A6300 and A6500 in the market, to me there's enough room between them and their spec's to justify their existence. I'd like to see a camera with an electronic shutter at the price of the A6000 and maybe it'll come one day but if I was going to buy an A6xxx today it may well be the A6300. It'd be enough for me as I always turn the touch screen off and that would remove one of the advantages of the A6500, just one advantage but maybe a significant one for many that I don't care about :D

Agree that the a6500 is the camera that the a6300 should have been.
Maybe but for people who don't need what the A6500 offers (like me...) there's the option of the cheaper A6300 but I don't believe the A6500 would be on sale for the price of the A6300 if the A6300 didn't exist. Look at the market and what the competition charge. Sony may well undercut the competition but by as much as an A6300 priced A6500 would?

Maybe but for people who don't need what the A6500 offers (like me...) there's the option of the cheaper A6300 but I don't believe the A6500 would be on sale for the price of the A6300 if the A6300 didn't exist. Look at the market and what the competition charge. Sony may well undercut the competition but by as much as an A6300 priced A6500 would?

But wouldn't an a6000 be a better choice then over an a6300. What features does the a6300 have that you'd want over an a6000.

Personally I'd want the ibis of the a6500 and the better performance on adapted glass.

But then have to remind myself how much I disliked the a6000 with its muddy viewfinder and lack of controls. Lovely output though.

What features does the a6300 have that you'd want over an a6000.

Better dynamic range (still not class leading, that's D7200)
Better AF especially for adapter and eye-AF in AF-C
4K video
level meter in EVF (this one annoyed the hell out of me!)
Ability charge via USB powerbank while shooting
Better build/weatherseal

4K video
Better build/weatherseal

Better not talk about 4K on that camera ;)
Charging while shooting is a new one on me

4K video
Better build/weatherseal

Same sensor
Same body, both weather resistant, both mag
A6300 also powerbank
Both have 4k

For me the biggest plus is ibis and only in video.

Last edited:
Back