The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If it is an A9 without the speed it will please a lot of people but would Sony do that as it may hurt A9 sales.

One thing I'm a bit meh about is the addition of the second dial on the top of the camera. I don't tend to use these settings a lot, in fact hardly ever, so I'm perfectly happy pressing a button and selecting what I want and in fact I'd rather do that and do without the second dial to have a less cluttered camera.

Do you chaps think that the second dial is a big deal?

Personally I like to avoid diving into menus as much as possible, so having the extra dial saves some of that!

If it is an A9 without the speed it will please a lot of people but would Sony do that as it may hurt A9 sales.

One thing I'm a bit meh about is the addition of the second dial on the top of the camera. I don't tend to use these settings a lot, in fact hardly ever, so I'm perfectly happy pressing a button and selecting what I want and in fact I'd rather do that and do without the second dial to have a less cluttered camera.

Yup, the more physical controls/dials the better. Look at how many physical buttons are on the D5/1DX bodies.... I think they are illuminated too with a dedicated LCD on top.
I think Sony will find a way to cripple the A7III enough not to eat into the Sales of the A9 :D

I agree. I don't think the a73 will be that much like the a9. More likely a7r2 af system... if that.

It's a good option have definitely. Turn of a knob rather than pressing a button and selecting in menu.

What will also be interesting is if the a7 series will adopt the larger battery. I think the joystick is a must on all cameras going forward.

It's a good option have definitely. Turn of a knob rather than pressing a button and selecting in menu.

What will also be interesting is if the a7 series will adopt the larger battery. I think the joystick is a must on all cameras going forward.

The problem I see at the moment is that if Sony do go down the route of beefing up the A7 series with A9 features incl the battery, they will most likely use the A9 body to accommodate it.
If they give too much of the "good stuff" to the A7 series, A9 owners will feel a little ripped off, too little and then value for money creeps into it ..... imagine the A7III having the same sensor, AF system and battery like the A9 but with only say 14 fps instead of 20fps? :D

I think your all spot on, Sony are likely to for want of a better term "gimp" the A7iii in some way to avoid cannibalising potential A9 sales, without a significant differentiation (like the ultra high MP of the likely A7riii) its hard to see what they do, same sensor and AF but single SD slot?

I think your all spot on, Sony are likely to for want of a better term "gimp" the A7iii in some way to avoid cannibalising potential A9 sales, without a significant differentiation (like the ultra high MP of the likely A7riii) its hard to see what they do, same sensor and AF but single SD slot?

Who knows what Sony will do but one thing is for sure, they are moving in the right direction...... I suspect Sony will also be considering a A9R and A9S in the future..... 2 series with 3 models in each.

Professional =
A9 - Speed
A9R- Resolution
A9S - Sensitivity

Pro-Consumer (Gimped Versions)=
A7III - Speed
A7RIII - Resolution
A7SIII - Sensitivity

Imagine if Sony combined all 3 of the attributes into one body!

Sony A10..... has the Speed, Resolution and Sensitivity :D haha

Who knows what Sony will do but one thing is for sure, they are moving in the right direction...... I suspect Sony will also be considering a A9R and A9S in the future..... 2 series with 3 models in each.

Professional =
A9 - Speed
A9R- Resolution
A9S - Sensitivity

A7III - Speed
A7RIII - Resolution
A7SIII - Sensitivity

It would cost around 10k.

24fps at 60mp using xqd dual card slots. 6k 60fps recording

Professional =
A9 - Speed
A9R- Resolution
A9S - Sensitivity

A7III - Speed
A7RIII - Resolution
A7SIII - Sensitivity

It does seem like potential for a lot of cameras and potential to saturate the market.

It could be possible that the a9 sits alone and doesn't have a high res version or a low light S version and Sony then release the new a7 updates that have some of the tech filtering down.

It does seem like potential for a lot of cameras and potential to saturate the market.

It could be possible that the a9 sits alone and doesn't have a high res version or a low light S version and Sony then release the new a7 updates that have some of the tech filtering down.

I think you're right. It's d5 / 1dx. The flagship. They aren't going to shorten the model life by introducing stuff that's to similar or going to cannibalize the top end. I think those days are over for Sony.... longer releases more profit.

Last edited:

That would fit in with what Nikon and Canon do, personally aside from the AF stick, battery and dual sd slots I don't see that the rest would add much to an A7rii, who the hell wants 20fps and 42mp? If thats even possible...

That would fit in with what Nikon and Canon do, personally aside from the AF stick, battery and dual sd slots I don't see that the rest would add much to an A7rii, who the hell wants 20fps and 42mp? If thats even possible...

I can't seem them pushing it too fast with a high mp sensor. I know the a99ii does something like 11 or 14 with a 42mp sensor. I think that's more than high enough for anyone who isn't shooting sport at pro level.

Yes a larger battery will be welcomed by many but it will add to the bulk and weight. The joystick would be nice especially if it zeros with a press.

I get the point about physical dials but they can be moved accidentally, I've done that before and then wondered why the camera is (for eg) in burst mode rather than single shot. All in all I really wouldn't want the second dial. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but at some point I'd probably be annoyed and irritated by it and wish it wasn't there. That's just me though :D

Yes a larger battery will be welcomed by many but it will add to the bulk and weight. The joystick would be nice especially if it zeros with a press.

I get the point about physical dials but they can be moved accidentally, I've done that before and then wondered why the camera is (for eg) in burst mode rather than single shot. All in all I really wouldn't want the second dial. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but at some point I'd probably be annoyed and irritated by it and wish it wasn't there. That's just me though :D

I can't see it being any easier to accidentally move it than the mode dial is already.

I can't see it being any easier to accidentally move it than the mode dial is already.

It's doubling up on the chance of something being moved as the camera is bagged/debagged and on top of that the features aren't ones I use even rarely, I'd almost never use them. I know the chances of a dial being moved are remote but it's happened to me and I just wouldn't pay a penny more to have this extra dial. In fact I'd pay more not to have it.

As I said, that's just me and I'm happy to be in a minority of 1 :D

It's doubling up on the chance of something being moved as the camera is bagged/debagged and on top of that the features aren't ones I use even rarely, I'd almost never use them. I know the chances of a dial being moved are remote but it's happened to me and I just wouldn't pay a penny more to have this extra dial. In fact I'd pay more not to have it.

As I said, that's just me and I'm happy to be in a minority of 1 :D

I believe the new dial has a lock, in fact only the exposure comp wheel I think doesn't have one.

I believe the new dial has a lock, in fact only the exposure comp wheel I think doesn't have one.
I still wouldn't want it :D Even if it's nailed in position it adds bulk and awkwardness and clutter and I'd use it maybe once a year so I'm just meh and in fact I wouldn't want it. But that's just me :D

I still wouldn't want it :D Even if it's nailed in position it adds bulk and awkwardness and clutter and I'd use it maybe once a year so I'm just meh and in fact I wouldn't want it. But that's just me :D

As you said, minority of 1! Lol

Without a lock on the dial

Yes but you have to remember the A7 was a test bed for Sony to see what response it would get from the market place, so it was always going to lack something.
The day we see the best body ever made will be the day that manufacturer puts themselves out of business as there would be nothing else to produce if they did that.
That's why every camera is "gimped" in some way or form including Sony's.

Personally I prefer dials but equally bodies without dials appeal too, a good photographer can always work with the tools at hand, dial or no dial, you adapt. :D

With Sony we are seeing big leaps between their models, with other manufacturers it seems evolution instead of revolution, but you have to remember Sony is relatively new in the mirrorless market place and leading the pack due to in-house sensor development & production.

As soon as competitors start making their own sensors we may see a shift, especially for Fuji.

Last edited:
Yes but you have to remember the A7 was a test bed for Sony to see what response it would get from the market place, so it was always going to lack something.
The day we see the best body ever made will be the day that manufacturer puts themselves out of business as there would be nothing else to produce if they did that.
That's why every camera is "gimped" in some way or form including Sony's.

Personally I prefer dials but equally bodies without dials appeal too, a good photographer can always work with the tools at hand, dial or no dial, you adapt. :D

With Sony we are seeing big leaps between their models, with other manufacturers it seems evolution instead of revolution, but you have to remember Sony is relatively new in the mirrorless market place and leading the pack due to in-house sensor development & production.

As soon as competitors start making their own sensors we may see a shift, especially for Fuji.

Yeah it was the a7 and 55mm combo that tried out that got me started on my switch from Nikon.

Without ibis. Stack sensor. Joystick and good af ;)
That too but it didn't cost £4499!!! :D all relative my friend, Sony have "gimped" on the Sony A9 too, I mean come on, where is the weather sealing and USB 3 port ;) :D

That too but it didn't cost £4499!!! :D all relative my friend, Sony have "gimped" on the Sony A9 too, I mean come on, where is the weather sealing and USB 3 port ;) :D
Lol that's for the A9 mk2 with weather sealing. USB c and s log ;)

Lol na the A9 mk2 will have more features. As you say. Sony make huge leaps on each camera they release

Lol that's for the A9 mk2 with weather sealing. USB c and s log ;)

Lol na the A9 mk2 will have more features. As you say. Sony make huge leaps on each camera they release

They sure do and thats why I always have my beady eye on Sony news and developments.... if Sony GAS returns who knows what the future holds :D

Last edited:
Yup lol :D good job the A7 is still a great camera :)
It does the job for me but there will be many owners who need something new and shiny even if in reality they don't need the improved performance. GAS is a big thing and if people can afford it there's nothing wrong with it. I can't see myself changing though until my A7 dies.

I'm right about that dial though... if not actually useless it's next to useless! :D

Without a lock on the dial
It doesn't have the second dial which makes it sooooo much easier to bag/debag plus I never press the shutter and find it taking multiple shots or waiting 10 seconds to shoot :D

Last edited:
It does the job for me but there will be many owners who need something new and shiny even if in reality they don't need the improved performance. GAS is a big thing and if people can afford it there's nothing wrong with it. I can't see myself changing though until my A7 dies.

I'm right about that dial though... if not actually useless it's next to useless! :D

It doesn't have the second dial which makes it sooooo much easier to bag/debag plus I never press the shutter and find it taking multiple shots or waiting 10 seconds to shoot :D
It's not gas. Everytime Sony announced a new camera it has big upgrades and features that many with deep pockets can't say no to. This ain't canikon land where each update is minor and can be skipped.

It's not gas. Everytime Sony announced a new camera it has big upgrades and features that many with deep pockets can't say no to. This ain't canikon land where each update is minor and can be skipped.

The cameras do have upgrades but how many people really need them?

It's ok you and me and the rest of us lot here making intelligent decisions and deciding we do or don't need the new functions and abilities but I suspect that there are people who say they need the new shiny better thing when in reality they'll only use the new shiny abilities when they first get the camera and play with it and after that they wont and would probably be perfectly happy with the old stuff. You've only got to read these forums to get the idea that people need 100mp, 50pps and the ability to track a gnat's private parts in flight at midnight.

I may be wrong again :D but I suspect gas does come into it for some who say they really really really truly honestly deeply need the new shiny stuff :D

I'm (usually) honest about my needs. The A7 is enough resolution and image quality for me and I don't need blazing AF or a second dial on the top of the camera :D

Last edited:
How many of us need a separate camera period when our smartphone can do the job?
That's an easy one :D I deffo both need and want a camera :D I'm just not sure that I'll be buying an A9 or A7III any day soon. But I can't guarantee that I wont either :D

How many of us need a separate camera period when our smartphone can do the job?

To be fair, I've got one of the latest Smartphones (S8+) and personally I wouldn't use any of the pics for anything beyond facebook selfies, even the "lowest end" camera I've had of late (X-T1/X-Pro 1) wipes the floor with it.

You're telling the guy who uses a D700 and one lens that he doesn't need the latest shiny toys to deliver results. He kind of already proves that.

You must be really struggling to deliver with you only having an A9, A7Rii and a 5D4 ;0)
Doesn't he also use a fuji or was it an Olympus?

Anyways you saying I can't deliver the goods with my photos? Was the last portrait I showed Rubbish?

Back