The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I think it will have the same af system. But much less fps. Nowhere near the crazy 20fps.

When the d810 released with the d4 focus system people who needed a d4 didn't buy an 810 instead.

I think it will have the same af system. But much less fps. Nowhere near the crazy 20fps.

When the d810 released with the d4 focus system people who needed a d4 didn't buy an 810 instead.

I assume that if it doesn't have the same sensor it won't have the "no blackout" trick either?.....

Preferring the Fuji?

To be honest I believe its just the nature of high mega-pixel files, they are BIG, my MacBook Pro 2010, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB SSD, i5 2.4Ghz running OSX really struggled to the point it annoyed me sitting there waiting for a image to render!
I found cropping my old Sony A7 files was adequate enough for my needs keeping in mind I don't do any printing at all or use my images for billboards etc lol :D
Yes I do prefer the Fuji files more than Sony because for me, they seem more pleasing to my eyes out of the camera (RAW/JPEG), thats not to say I couldn't get similar results from the Sony files, it just meant more time in LR tweaking.

I am slowly moving away from the technical side of bodies / files and trying to speed up my work flow..... been tempted to start using more JPEG's going forwards too, keeping RAW's for any major file tweaks.

At the moment I am a crossroads where I don't seem to have the time to spend hours on end post-processing when there are ways to get decent results, for example I am currently considering a iPad Pro 10.5" with applications like Affinity Photo, LR etc for quicker post-processing workflows, this will also make backing up easier as I can directly upload image backups to two different cloud services on the fly, easier to post online etc.
The new iPad Pro is a really powerful tool which I can see myself adopting and replacing the MacBook Pro perhaps.

I have seen a online video where somebody was editing the Sony A7RII 42.2mp RAW files on a iPad and it seemed way quicker to render compared to my MacBook Pro, so its definitely not lacking the processing power to get work done if you accept the negatives.

Last edited:
To be honest I believe its just the nature of high mega-pixel files, they are BIG, my MacBook Pro 2010, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB SSD, i5 2.4Ghz running OSX really struggled to the point it annoyed me sitting there waiting for a image to render!
I found cropping my old Sony A7 files was adequate enough for my needs keeping in mind I don't do any printing at all or use my images for billboards etc lol :D
Yes I do prefer the Fuji files more then Sony because for me, they seem more pleasing to my eyes out of the camera RAW/JPEG, thats not to say I couldn't get similar results from the Sony files, it just meant more time in LR tweaking.

I am slowly moving away from the technical side of bodies / files and trying to speed up my work flow..... been tempted to start using more JPEG's going forwards too, keeping RAW's for any major file tweaks.

At the moment I am a crossroads where I don't seem to have the time to spend hours on end post-processing when there are ways to get decent results, for example I am currently considering a iPad Pro 10.5" with applications like Affinity Photo, LR etc for quick post-processing workflow, this will also make backing up easier I can directly upload image backups to two different cloud services on the fly, also easier to post online etc.
The new iPad Pro is a really powerful tool which I can see myself adopting and replacing the MacBook Pro.

I have seen a online video where somebody was editing the Sony A7RII 42.2mp RAW files on a iPad and it seemed way quicker to render compared to my MacBook Pro, so its definitely not lacking the processing power to get work done.

Agree with you, I find large RAW files to be a pain in the arse sometimes, I tried a Surface Pro 4 but its expensive just to be a tablet and not powerful enough to be a full laptop replacement!
I've been using Lightroom Mobile on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and despite being a little "crashy" at times its brilliant, not that far off full-fat Lightroom for most things!

Affinity looks decent, I think if the 10.5 inch iPad Pro had been launched in March I'd have had one!!

I do sometimes miss the days of just relying on the X-Pro 2 JPEG's they were staggeringly good in the most part, wasn't so keen on the A7rii JPEG but its not something Sony are known for really.

42mp was too much for my system to handle and the disk space requirement was just as much lol :D
Disk Space!! The price of ???
IIRC you planted down about £10K on TWO Sony A7R2 and some stonking Sony GM glass and you couldn't afford the "Disk Space" or the GRUNT to process those loverly 42mp raws?
"I don't believe it!" ;-))))
In my best Victor Meldrew voice...
Jamie

Disk Space!! The price of ???
IIRC you planted down about £10K on TWO Sony A7R2 and some stonking Sony GM glass and you couldn't afford the "Disk Space" or the GRUNT to process those loverly 42mp raws?
"I don't believe it!" ;-))))
In my best Victor Meldrew voice...
Jamie

SSD's weren't cheap and normal spindle disks were too slow :D lol

Good stuff. It's the final picture that matters not fondling the gear. But there is a place for that too :D

Very, Very nice Jonathan - Great Capture. As you seemed to be selling up your A7R2 + Lenses to acquire some Nikon thingy ;-) I'm wondering What lens you can't keep off What camera <LoL>
Jamie

Thanks Jamie

Yes had a generous offer to be able to use a lot of Nikon gear. I do however prefer shooting mirrorless now so just need to make a decision. I'm away on holiday tomorrow so will decide when I'm back.
Lens was the 85gmaster and camera A7rii.

Thanks Jamie

Yes had a generous offer to be able to use a lot of Nikon gear. I do however prefer shooting mirrorless now so just need to make a decision. I'm away on holiday tomorrow so will decide when I'm back.
Lens was the 85gmaster and camera A7rii.

If you get rid of your A7RII you may hold the world record for the amount of times a individual has bought and sold one :D lol

I don't think he will match your record ;)
Haha no seriously... I have only owned the following Sony bodies... A7, A7II and two A7RII's before leaving Sony.
I do miss the days when I used to open up my Vanguard case and drool over the 3 bodies and array of lenses :D
The Fuji lenses are great too and I am not finding the sharpness any less than my G Masters. ;)

Haha no seriously... I have only owned the following Sony bodies... A7, A7II and two A7RII's before leaving Sony.
I do miss the days when I used to open up my Vanguard case and drool over the 3 bodies and array of lenses :D
The Fuji lenses are great too and I am not finding the sharpness any less than my G Masters. ;)

F word mentioned. consider your wrist slapped.

DXO test the A9 and they likey...

https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sony-a9-sensor-review-Game-changer

Wot they say...

"The Sony a9’s sensor ranks as one of the best we’ve tested at base ISO, with consistently good scores for dynamic range and color depth, and exceptional results for noise. At those crucial mid to high ISO sensitivities for action photographers, image quality is also excellent and on par with flagship Nikon and Canon sports DSLRs.

For the very best image quality, the A7R II offers better results for color, as well as almost twice the sensor resolution, but it isn’t a sports camera and can’t compete for performance against the a9, so they’re intended for different markets.

With a big body-only price tag of $4,500, the Sony a9 is squarely in the pro category, going head-to-head with the top-end Canon and Nikon DSLRs. With many pros already heavily invested in lenses and accessories for those systems, it’s going to be a tricky (not to mention expensive) to switch, but the Sony a9 has both the performance capabilities and image quality that make it a seriously tempting proposition."

Pictures from today, A7+35mm f2.8...

Pier...

1k-DSC07540.jpg

Why not?...

1k-DSC07542.jpg

"Oh! My hair!"

1k-DSC07553.jpg

Looking back...

1k-DSC07555.jpg

100% crop from one...

1k-DSC07565.jpg

The A7+35mm f2.8 fitted into my £8 Thai market special man bag together with a spare battery, mobile phone, pen and paper, tube of mints, pack of two yoghurt biscuits, bag for life and two bottles of water :D

Last edited:
I dont think the A9 image quality overall was ever going to be in doubt, it has a Sony sensor, they are superb.

The biggest 'issue' I see for the A9 at the moment is that they need to get those big fast primes out to win over the Canikon brigade. No long primes, the 24-70 and 70-200 were touted to be best in class but arent really and Sigmas Arts are better than what main manufacturers offer and are miles cheaper (but they arent in FE mount) so that doesnt leave much for action shooters.... while native nearly keeps up with Nikons 3d tracking (witchcraft tbh) there just arent the native lenses to take advantage of the A9s speed.

At the moment it appears the camera has come before the system, which the A7 did on launch. The A7rii seems arguably the better choice when looking at the system and its benefits.

Last edited:
Wanstead park
June 2017
London, UK
Sony A7R II + Sigma MC-11 + Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM
To be honest I am not impressed of the combo above - I think this lens does not like the adapter too much :) - the AF hunts quite often or stops at some point and you need to switch to MF and then back to AF (or to manual focus with the ring) to get back focusing.
Sony A7R II ver 4.0
Sigma MC-11 ver 1.02 (or 1.03) I need to check.

But when you have the patience the lens deliver :)

Summer is here by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

Walk in the park by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

This is from the day before in Central London (the same lens and camera):

Sony A7R II and Canon 50mm F/1.4 by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

Last edited:
I dont think the A9 image quality overall was ever going to be in doubt, it has a Sony sensor, they are superb.

The biggest 'issue' I see for the A9 at the moment is that they need to get those big fast primes out to win over the Canikon brigade. No long primes, the 24-70 and 70-200 were touted to be best in class but arent really and Sigmas Arts are better than what main manufacturers offer and are miles cheaper (but they arent in FE mount) so that doesnt leave much for action shooters.... while native nearly keeps up with Nikons 3d tracking (witchcraft tbh) there just arent the native lenses to take advantage of the A9s speed.
A 400mm prime is being announced in the summer

A 400mm prime is being announced in the summer

Lets wait and see, I know that people have been crying out for the A9 but it seems to have arrived prematurely. The A 500 f4 is 10k and what are they doing running 2 lens systems side by side, A mount is dead, bin it!

As you know Canikon have every base covered in terms of lenses, yes theyve been around longer but thats why pros buy their stuff, every option is there... its not just a camera. I love the fact that Sony are pushing tech though and the A9 is superb.... just a bit early, like the A7 was at launch (when I bought it).

I want it, and it would do everything I need (I think), but if I were a sport shooter I wouldnt touch it.... till there were more options.

Last edited:
but if I were a sport shooter I wouldnt touch it.... till there were more options.

But if you wanted to shoot mega PPS or silently you'd have no other FF choice.

I'm sure there'll be people who'll buy it and use it to it's strengths and for those it'll do things no other camera will. Anyone who doesn't need it should resist the gas or buy something more suited to their needs.

But if you wanted to shoot mega PPS or silently you'd have no other FF choice.

I'm sure there'll be people who'll buy it and use it to it's strengths and for those it'll do things no other camera will. Anyone who doesn't need it should resist the gas or buy something more suited to their needs.

What is mega pps? Until every shutter becomes silent at a game that's not an issue.... and most fast moving sports are noisy. Its being sold as an action camera, you just need to look at the specs and comparisons.

Last edited:
What is mega pps? Until every shutter becomes silent at a game that's not an issue.... and most fast moving sports are noisy. Its being sold as an action camera, you just need to look at the specs and comparisons.

There simply must be situations when FF and silent shutter and the other things an A9 offers are an advantage. I used to produce artwork for the stage and would have loved to shoot silently when my artwork was in use but my camera at the time was rather noisy... Other uses spring to mind and although they may be minority and niche I'm sure they and more exist but most of all I guess you're a glass half empty guy and just about every post of yours in this thread (and others) comes across as negative to me so why not just leave it alone for now and come back in a generation or two or when the lens line up has filled out to suit every possible scenario.

Last edited:
There simply must be situations when FF and silent shutter and the other things an A9 offers are an advantage. I used to produce artwork for the stage and would have loved to shoot silently when my artwork was in use but my camera at the time was rather noisy... Other uses spring to mind and although they may be minority and niche I'm sure they and more exist but most of all I guess you're a glass half empty guy and just about every post of yours in this thread (and others) comes across as negative to me so why not just leave it alone for now and come back in a generation or two or when the lens line up has filled out to suite every possible scenario.

I'm glass half empty, nope. You're the biggest fanboy around. I see the benefits and also discuss weaknesses... You only see Sony rainbows. None of your posts actually offer anything useful. I never said it was completely useless, I said for sport it's come prematurely if they're trying to get Canikon users to switch in masses.

If anybody dares to talk about another system besides Sony or m43 in this thread you shart yourself Alan.

Last edited:
I'm glass half empty, nope. You're the biggest fanboy around. I see the benefits and also discuss weaknesses... You only see Sony rainbows. None of your posts actually offer anything useful. I never said it was completely useless, I said for sport it's come prematurely if they're trying to get Canikon users to switch in masses.

If anybody dares to talk about another system besides Sony or m43 in this thread you shart yourself Alan.

Fuji Fuji Fuji :D
Got my first wedding shoot tomorrow since giving up my Sony A7RII's. :eek:

No picture taking for me this weekend as I fell ill last night. Still recovering

Oh man up for Gawd sake! :D

I went deaf in my right ear then had a bought of feeling very sick and dizzy but I manned up and thanks to the in view level I carried on snapping! :D

I'm much better today :D and if you can hold a camera what's stopping you? :D

Another from today :D

DSC07549.jpg

Last edited:
I heard from somewhere ( can't remember where) that the A7 & A7R are no good for lightning shots? anyone know if thats true? I don't want to shell out on a Sony cable for my lightning trigger if theres going to be problems.

I heard from somewhere ( can't remember where) that the A7 & A7R are no good for lightning shots? anyone know if thats true? I don't want to shell out on a Sony cable for my lightning trigger if theres going to be problems.

It's a while since I attempted lightening shots, I think I last did that with my Panny G1, anyway... I can't think of any reason why an A7x wouldn't be any good but I don't know what a lightening trigger is so maybe that's the problem. I used to just point my camera in the direction I thought most likely and used a long exposure.

DXO test the A9 and they likey...

https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sony-a9-sensor-review-Game-changer

Wot they say...

"The Sony a9’s sensor ranks as one of the best we’ve tested at base ISO, with consistently good scores for dynamic range and color depth, and exceptional results for noise. At those crucial mid to high ISO sensitivities for action photographers, image quality is also excellent and on par with flagship Nikon and Canon sports DSLRs.

For the very best image quality, the A7R II offers better results for color, as well as almost twice the sensor resolution, but it isn’t a sports camera and can’t compete for performance against the a9, so they’re intended for different markets.

With a big body-only price tag of $4,500, the Sony a9 is squarely in the pro category, going head-to-head with the top-end Canon and Nikon DSLRs. With many pros already heavily invested in lenses and accessories for those systems, it’s going to be a tricky (not to mention expensive) to switch, but the Sony a9 has both the performance capabilities and image quality that make it a seriously tempting proposition."

I don't think that the Sony A9's sensor output is a game changer, for example take a look at this studio scene comparing the Sony A9 vs Fuji XT-2 :D @ ISO6400

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...&x=-0.009925415949512358&y=-0.772489942651716

Check out the tests on ISO 200, also the sharpness seems better on the Fuji XT-2!

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...=1&x=0.893689041881813&y=-0.13695112556706313

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...t=1&x=1.1433159373745485&y=-1.137125748502994

I am hoping that the test is a mistake and that DPR used a very poor lens on the Sony A9 body! :D

Last edited:
It's difficult to compare anything to Fuji as they bend the rules so much. Is Fuji ISO 6400 what other people think is 6400? :D

It'll be interesting to see how a similar tech Sony sensor will perform without the possible image quality hit from the faster readout, if that's a factor.

Looking at my A7 files I really couldn't ask for more image quality wise :D although I'm warming to the idea of a joystick but I'm not sure that I'd spend money to get one or that I need longer batter life if they go for an A9 body and battery for the new A7III. I went out yesterday with a battery at 85% and came home with a battery at 85% after taking 36 pictures and I'm happy with them all and how the camera performed so spending £2K or whatever the A7III will cost seems a bit pointless :D

One thing that does strike me is that I'm happy with my MFT shots as I process and look at them but when I look at my A7 files I just can't help but think they look lovely :D

Just for fun...

Cropping to 100% or so is about as taxing as I get. Here's two heavy crops, one with my A7+55mm at f1.8, 1/400 and ISO 800 and the other with my MFT GX7 and 12-35mm f2.8 at f2.8, 1/200, ISO 2,500.

1000-DSC07400-C.jpg

1000-P1090851-C.jpg

PS.
I'm still averaging about one print a week but most of my pictures are shared electronically at 2000 pixels on the longest side and quality 10 from CS5 (12 is the max.)
PPS.
Some of the crops I do end up between 1400 and 1500 pixels on the longest side so they get sized up to 2000.

Last edited:
It's difficult to compare anything to Fuji as they bend the rules so much. Is Fuji ISO 6400 what other people think is 6400? :D

It'll be interesting to see how a similar tech Sony sensor will perform without the possible image quality hit from the faster readout, if that's a factor.

Looking at my A7 files I really couldn't ask for more image quality wise :D although I'm warming to the idea of a joystick but I'm not sure that I'd spend money to get one or that I need longer batter life if they go for an A9 body and battery for the new A7III. I went out yesterday with a battery at 85% and came home with a battery at 85% after taking 36 pictures and I'm happy with them all and how the camera performed so spending £2K or whatever the A7III will cost seems a bit pointless :D

One thing that does strike me is that I'm happy with my MFT shots as I process and look at them but when I look at my A7 files I just can't help but think they look lovely :D

Just for fun...

Cropping to 100% or so is about as taxing as I get. Here's two heavy crops, one with my A7+55mm at f1.8, 1/400 and ISO 800 and the other with my MFT GX7 and 12-35mm f2.8 at f2.8, 1/200, ISO 2,500.

View attachment 104303

View attachment 104304

And whats the big difference between those two shots when you don't pixel peep, not much to my eyes!
Yet the GX7 has a smaller body, smaller sensor, smaller cost etc.
I applied this same logic before ditching my A7RII and going down to a APS-C sensor system...... the difference is not has big as it once was.... I think that todays modern APS-C sensors outperform many if not all older FF sensors from 5-10 years ago maybe?

Back