The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I don't think the a7iii will be better than the a7rii in terms of feature set... or it'll be at a high pricepoint and cannibalise a7rii and a9 sales.

You'll have to decide what "better" means for you and as I've said many times I think it's best to start with the final image and work back over to decide what kit and settings you need. As I've seen so few of your pictures I've little idea what or how you shoot but I'd imagine you'd be fine with a Nikon D750.

:D

Get the Sony. Now. You know you want to :D

You'll have to decide what "better" means for you and as I've said many times I think it's best to start with the final image and work back over to decide what kit and settings you need. As I've seen so few of your pictures I've little idea what or how you shoot but I'd imagine you'd be fine with a Nikon D750.

:D

Get the Sony. Now. You know you want to :D

There's nothing the d750 is lacking in terms of still performance, the a7rii has some nice little things like video ibis and 4k but again those aren't worth it if say the AF is quite a bit slower.

I think it's also partly gas driven... the issue is I can't test the combo I want to use in a store.

There's nothing the d750 is lacking in terms of still performance, the a7rii has some nice little things like video ibis and 4k but again those aren't worth it if say the AF is quite a bit slower.

I think it's also partly gas driven... the issue is I can't test the combo I want to use in a store.
What exactly do you shoot?

Ha ha. Itching to try one don't know if desperate to own... depends how the testing goes if I decide to go ahead. It's still a lot more dosh than my current setup.

Not sure where you are based but if you are around London give me a shout. Obviously I can't loan it out but welcome to give it a test drive.

There's nothing wrong with owning nice things just because you want them but if you can hold off to see what the next Ax is like you may have more choices... but how long to hold off is the problem as you can have a camera today.

There's nothing wrong with owning nice things just because you want them but if you can hold off to see what the next Ax is like you may have more choices... but how long to hold off is the problem as you can have a camera today.

That's the thing, waiting is a pita. I think the a7iii will be like a 6d2 vs 5d4 thing.

That's the thing, waiting is a pita. I think the a7iii will be like a 6d2 vs 5d4 thing.

I'm hoping they fit a joystick and bigger battery to the A7 series. Faster focus and all of the other bells and whistles would be nice but in reality I just don't need them whereas I n=move the focus point constantly and although I'm happy enough at the mo maybe a joystick would be nice. I don't really need a bigger battery but again it might be nice.

Oh, I've thought of something else, tow things... having the level and the histogram in the same display would be nice and also I'd like the choice of being able to link metering to the focus point or not.

Sure is, I should have just waited for the A9 instead of bailing previously. But then I could have waiting for the A9II instead or the the A9III and so on.

Some of mine Brenizer method snaps with Sony a7

34994218825_1065fd2b32_h.jpg

34841677231_a89b3c91c8_h.jpg

If you've been using MFT wont you miss all the mirrorless goodies such as in view histogram, focus and exposure aids and the magnified view, being able to focus anywhere in the frame etc?

I'd hate to go back to an optical view DSLR now.
yep,:D
but in all honesty i usually use focus recompose, just so used to that way of work from film use. but the manual focus aids would be missed.

Yes, sure does, I'm waiting to see what iOS11 brings to the table :)

mine arrived today ,loving it.

Ive had the first generation iPad Pro 12.9 for about 12 months now and love it. Coupled with Lightroom Mobile and the Pencil I spend hardly any time on the Mac now. A couple of good apps are Duet, which enables you to use the iPad as a second screen. Another is Astropad, which enables you to mirror part/all of the Mac screen on the iPad, enabling precise editing with the Pencil (similar to using a Cintiq).

Enjoy (I know I do) (y)

So are you lads using the big iPad to edit pics ready for print ( sorry to butt in )
I love the idea of using one for editing ( which I hate and am crap at )

So are you lads using the big iPad to edit pics ready for print ( sorry to butt in )
I tend to do final edits on the Mac, where the iPad is useful, is for sorting through photos when away from home/desk, you can import into LRM (via wif-fi or USB), rate, flag, delete as necessary. I also use it for crops, light edits (shadows, highlights etc) as well as cloning. I always proof on a calibrated screen if I'm going to print.

I don't usually print and do minor editing so its enough for me, for others probably not

Had to manually focus most of the time. But shooting panning or fast action is easier than the Canon due to no blackout. That feature alone is a game changer imo

Hopefully next time you'll have a native FE lens to hand.
The 100-400mm G Master is the only option at the moment or the 70-200mm G Master with the 2x TC.
Wonder which one is better @ 400mm?

I may cancel my 1.4x TC as realistically I probably won't use it but my thinking was if I did need longer reach for anything I've got it and combined with the APS-C crop mode it could give me 425mm at f4.

Last edited:
A7 and Minolta 35mm f1.8 again :D

1-DSC07672-R.jpg

A 100% crop.

1-DSC07672-R-C.jpg

I'm often impressed how nice these old lenses are :D If you use them at wider apertures they're not as good as modern lenses but they do give a look... and stopped down they're less funky and just nice lenses :D

Last edited:
I'm often impressed how nice these old lenses are :D If you use them at wider apertures they're not as good as modern lenses but they do give a look... and stopped down they're less funky and just nice lenses :D

There are even better on a crop sensor, as the often inherent softness towards the edges is outside the required sensor image circle.

There are even better on a crop sensor, as the often inherent softness towards the edges is outside the required sensor image circle.

I can't say that I agree. I've used all my old lenses on MFT and I have to say that they perform better on my A7. Yes, there can be some edge issues but when stopped down and used for across the frame performance I have no real issues (the picture posted above has no real issues) and they're sharper on my A7 than on my MFT due to the usual issues... magnifying a smaller image more and all that.

Back