The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I believe a price drop is coming for the Sony A7RII is coming, £2250 :)

I don't know. Going mad thinking about it tbh.

I am obviously pro-mirrorless but don't rush... the Sony A7III is just around the corner too.
I found the 42.2mp A7RII files a headache to work with but after more investigations its just Adobe LR code which is sluggish, having seem YouTube videos with LR running on the iPad Pro, LR works so much quicker/better than the full blow OSX version.

24mp seems right for me at the moment. :)

And although I'm repeating myself :D I have to say that I think you're wrong. Yes with a crop camera you only see the better central section of the image but what you see has been magnified more and will suffer for it. All IMHO of course but others seem to agree :D If you find otherwise then good luck to you and I'm happy for you but the exact opposite has been my experience and my legacy lenses have a new lease of life on my FF A7 :D

"Decent" is I suppose open to debate. Whilst I'm certain that my old lenses perform better on FF than on my MFT camera I'll also say that they can't compete with my Sony primes for technical excellence across the frame especially at wide apertures. For example I tested my legacy 50mm lenses against my Sony 55mm and it simply crushes them. The look is a different matter and my 50mm f1.2 Rokkor (for example) give a look that I like, from wide open to stopped down.

Have you used old lenses on a FF camera?

Alan, we can both repeat ourselves.....:D

Well we will have to disagree then!!

Regarding my experience with legacy lenses on an FF system, the simple answer is no, but I have vast experience of legacy and modern lenses on other format systems (25 years of working in machine vision:)).

I agree that legacy lenses will give you a look (that can be very satisfying) and can result in a decent image especially when stopped down. I'm pleased that you are happy with them on your FF Sony.

Alan, we can both repeat ourselves.....:D

Regarding my experience with legacy lenses on an FF system, the simple answer is no, but I have vast experience of legacy and modern lenses on other format systems (25 years of working in machine vision:)).

I tried Olympus Zuiko lenses on my 5D and they were ok but focusing isn't easy with the 5D. The performance of my film era slr primes on my A7 is a great improvement over how they performed on my mft cameras and I'd expect them (old lenses) to perform slightly better on APS-C cameras than mft as there's less magnification and I'd expect them to be better again on FF. It's only physics :D

I've posted lots of 100% crops in this thread and whilst I'm no great shakes at photography the pictures are at least sharp enough for 100% viewing, not up to the best moderm primes but ok. Keep old lenses out of the funky widest aperture zones and certainly you can get good sharpness across the frame if that's what you're going for. I'd have to think about it but maybe an old lens on an A7 would give a sharper image than a nice native prime on mft? I might compare them one day.

So it will work fine? It's a toss up between this and the 55 but the 55 is more and I like 85mm for portraits.

Yes will work perfectly its a native lens, never used it myself but the reviews are excellent. 55mm is meant to be great but I've never got on with it myself for some reason.

I never got on with the Fuji lenses so I feel ya when someone says it's good and it's not

Little different though, your seems to just be a sweeping Fuji dislike, my reason for not liking the 55mm was the focal length, prefer a 50mm, that 5mm makes a difference!

So it will work fine? It's a toss up between this and the 55 but the 55 is more and I like 85mm for portraits.

Can always pop the camera into crop mode to get close to 85mm. Makes the 55 quite versatile on the a7rii

If anyone's looking for an excellent system to use alongside their FF Sony kit, I've just listed all of my APS-C gear (A6000/lenses) here;

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...8-samyang-12-2-cctv-lens.658303/#post-7887538

To be honest, I'd love to keep the A6K alongside my A7 but unfortunately, it's not an option at the moment.

I think that's a good price for the camera and lens and I do look at these every time they come up but I have two RF style MFT cameras and a box full of lenses so even though I'm always very tempted I see sense and stop myself.

Good luck with the sale though.

:D

Last edited:
My first digital camera was a Fuji, a 602 Pro Zoom.

Anyways...the Sony 55mm f1.8 is an excellent lens :D

This is just a record shot of the Stanley Hollis Memorial outside Albert Park in Middlesbrough. I took two pictures, one at f1.8 and the other at f4.

100%.

1-4-DSC07751.jpg

1-4-DSC07752.jpg

Soz about the pole coming out of his head but even with this I thought that this was the best perspective background wise.

Whole picture.

1-4-DSC07752-c.jpg

Last edited:
I think that's a good price for the camera and lens and I do look at these every time they come up but I have two RF style MFT cameras and a box full of lenses so even though I'm always very tempted I see sense and stop myself.

Good luck with the sale though.

:D

Thanks Alan. I've tried to price everything according to recent sales here so they're a good deal.

Think it may be wiser to hold fire till the a7iii is announced. It may make more sense.
Yea possibly. Don't see it announced until September ish.

U know the drill with Sony though. They upgrade there bodies more than most other companies so don't keep waiting and waiting. Before you know it. The a7r3 is announced

Well that was quick, the A6000/16-50 has sold! I've got mixed feelings about selling it because it's an awesome camera but time to move on. Having my eye on a Samyang 85/1.4 is making me feel better ;0)

As they say, onwards and upwards, I'm kind of regretting not getting the A7 now when it was on offer, opted for the RX100 III instead lol :)

I am obviously pro-mirrorless but don't rush... the Sony A7III is just around the corner too.
I found the 42.2mp A7RII files a headache to work with but after more investigations its just Adobe LR code which is sluggish, having seem YouTube videos with LR running on the iPad Pro, LR works so much quicker/better than the full blow OSX version.

24mp seems right for me at the moment. :)
I think the main issue is with Lightroom, the bottleneck sluggish performance is down to the files being loaded up, if you use smart previews and build the 1:1 previews it helps a lot (although this takes an ages during import). LRM uses these automatically I think, great for sorting and tagging images.

I think the main issue is with Lightroom, the bottleneck sluggish performance is down to the files being loaded up, if you use smart previews and build the 1:1 previews it helps a lot (although this takes an ages during import). LRM uses these automatically I think, great for sorting and tagging images.
Adobe has publically admitted that the code for LR6 desktop is poo! :D
When Adobe have made it quicker...... would it mean that I would venture back towards a high-resolution Sony body, I am not so sure..... :D

Last edited:
I've found it starts off OK editing photos in LR but it slows down after a few photos have been edited, like it's not releasing the cache or something. If it gets too slow I restart LR and all is well again. But it can be a bit slow loading a 1:1 preview when viewing uncompressed A7R2 RAW files (80MB approx).

Well I've done my initial "first pass" through my shots from the Berlin trip and got quite a few that I'm really happy with.
I'll share some later when I'm home, however looking at what lenses I actually used v what I thought I used more was quite interesting.

I felt like I didn't use the 24-70 an awful lot but around 25% of my "keepers" are with that lens and looking at them I couldn't be more impressed with the detail and sharpness that the lens delivers, its hard to distinguish between it and the Loxia primes in shots where I've used both lenses, obviously we're generally talking stopped down here and not at f2.8 but I'm very impressed.

The Loxia 21mm was by far my most used wide angle, really nice lens to use, super sharp and has character which seems missing from some other glass and unless I was trying to get something into frame I think 21mm is plenty wide for me!

I like the 16-35 and its a very sharp, nice lens but the distortion at 16mm was a bit much for me, its a bit like the Nikon 16-35 where your losing quite a bit once lens corrections are applied, might consider looking at the new 16-35 f2.8 if it is decent though although minded to stick with the 24-70 and primes only other than that!

Last edited:
Well I've done my initial "first pass" through my shots from the Berlin trip and got quite a few that I'm really happy with.
I'll share some later when I'm home, however looking at what lenses I actually used v what I thought I used more was quite interesting.

I felt like I didn't use the 24-70 an awful lot but around 25% of my "keepers" are with that lens and looking at them I couldn't be more impressed with the detail and sharpness that the lens delivers, its hard to distinguish between it and the Loxia primes in shots where I've used both lenses, obviously we're generally talking stopped down here and not at f2.8 but I'm very impressed.

The Loxia 21mm was by far my most used wide angle, really nice lens to use, super sharp and has character which seems missing from some other glass and unless I was trying to get something into frame I think 21mm is plenty wide for me!

I like the 16-35 and its a very sharp, nice lens but the distortion at 16mm was a bit much for me, its a bit like the Nikon 16-35 where your losing quite a bit once lens corrections are applied, might consider looking at the new 16-35 f2.8 if it is decent though although minded to stick with the 24-70 and primes only other than that!
Which 24-70 do you have?
Looking forward to seeing some pics.

I'm currently debating the 55mm or the 85mm

Back