The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

How was it wide open etc?
Very sharp wide open especially at the wider end. Quite usable at 35mm end but not as sharp as wide end.

Spent all day going round in circles!

Budget is probably the biggest prohibiter in my life.

I'm undecided on whether the 85mm batis is worth the extra cash over the 85mm normal read the reviews and seen both but I have no real experience of either. Or do I spend a little more and got for the 70-200 f4. Or will I just regret it and want the f2.8 of which is divorce money.

I have personally come to the conclusion FE 85mm is better buy than batis. I have IBIS, so OS of batis is not of much use to me. Sony firmware updates lenses and bodies which will swing AF in FE 85 favour. Its as sharp as batis, smaller, bokeh is as good. So I am not sure why anyone would get the batis apart from needing OS.

Anyways its up to you really. The batis 85mm is amazing so its up to you. The Sony is good too. if you are on a budget just get the sony one.

Unless OS is particularly important, why would you pay the premium for the batis 85mm when FE 85 is just as good?
(And don't give me the zeiss pop argument :D I have owned more than half the zeiss lenses on Sony :p )

Last edited:
Unless OS is particularly important, why would you pay the premium for the batis 85mm when FE 85 is just as good?
(And don't give me the zeiss pop argument :D I have owned more than half the zeiss lenses on Sony [emoji14] )
Well when I bought the batis. There was no Sony equivalent!

well of course if you already own it that's a different story. At the time I believe IBIS bodies didn't exist either.

I read about shooting into the light was far better than the standard 85mm.
yes its not very flare resistant. I don't expect to be shooting into the sun a huge lot... for me the smaller size, better AF and the focus hold button (which I can reassign to eye AF) is more promoting.

i am debating the 70-200 f4 for travel. great lens

Anyways its up to you really. The batis 85mm is amazing so its up to you. The Sony is good too. if you are on a budget just get the sony one.

Really impressed with the 70-200 f4, didn't use it much in Berlin but when I did it really shone, very sharp and reminds me of the Nikon 70-200 f4 which was also very good.
Might be tempted to swap it for a Batis next time I travel though!

@Nuzik you can probably get the Sony 85 and the zeiss 55 for not much more than the cost of the batis. Job done.

Saying that, the batis is lovely. Very very sharp. Lovely bokeh. Built very well, weather sealed. All yummy stuff.

I'm gradually getting used to the controls of the A7 and I really like the reduction in bulk. As expected the batteries drain rather quickly though. Previously I used to only need to carry 1 spare battery, however I have now ordered a further 2 batteries as spares, giving a total of 4 batteries. My question is how does everyone store their spare batteries when out and about, not sure I fancy the idea of having 3 rattling around in the bottom of the bag.

As to the 85mm lens, I opted for the Sony FE as it seemed as though image wise it was 99% of the Batis at about 70% of the price. I am also using the Canon 70-200 f/4 LIS with the Sigma MC11 and seems just as good as it was on the Canon.

Saying that, the batis is lovely. Very very sharp. Lovely bokeh. Built very well, weather sealed. All yummy stuff.

Sony has all of these too from what I have read. The only place it falls on its face is when shot into the sun.

@Nuzik you can probably get the Sony 85 and the zeiss 55 for not much more than the cost of the batis. Job done.

Not sure i can stretch to the 55mm and the 85mm at the moment but the 55mm is on the radar for the future.

I'm gradually getting used to the controls of the A7 and I really like the reduction in bulk. As expected the batteries drain rather quickly though. Previously I used to only need to carry 1 spare battery, however I have now ordered a further 2 batteries as spares, giving a total of 4 batteries. My question is how does everyone store their spare batteries when out and about, not sure I fancy the idea of having 3 rattling around in the bottom of the bag.

I only carry one extra battery. Its very rare I need more than 2 batteries in a day (put your A7 in flight mode if you already haven't done so to save a ton of juice).
Since you can charge batteries via. USB I carry a powerback (which I carry anyway for other devices like my phone). This covers me easily in case I need more juice.

I have one Sony battery and one third party spare. I usually rotate them in camera and keep the other in my bag or pocket. I can't remember ever using a fully charged battery in one day but I've certainly gone out with a part used battery and swapped it out during the day. Two is easily enough for me.

If looking at the 85mm's I'd go for the Sony as the reviews I've read mostly say there's nothing in it between it and the Batis. I can't remember the last time I used an 85mm so it's not worth buying an AF one for the twice a year I'd use it, my film era ones will do.

Last edited:
Standard 85mm ordered I'll let you know if and when it gets here.

Any TTL style flashes worth getting?

I've just received the Godox TT350s. Initial impressions are very good. I looked at the Nissin and almost got it, however I like to play around with Off-Camera Flash, so ended up choosing the Godox, due to the ability to add the X1s Transmitter and use it with other larger Godox lights

I received the FE 50/1.8 from CameraWorld today. Bought as used but I can't see a mark on it so would recommend them (I only bought it yesterday afternoon too). Initial impression is very good. It is a bit noisier than the 28-70 when focusing but it seems to be as fast. I used my usual model to test AF-C (our dog, Rosie) and bar a few out of focus due to her being too close to me when running at me they look good on camera.

I think id like the 70-200 f4 next to be honest. I can wait but i think it will give me some distance without it being too costly (like 1k is cheap!). I best start giving those hand jobs out for cash!

I received the FE 50/1.8 from CameraWorld today. Bought as used but I can't see a mark on it so would recommend them (I only bought it yesterday afternoon too). Initial impression is very good. It is a bit noisier than the 28-70 when focusing but it seems to be as fast. I used my usual model to test AF-C (our dog, Rosie) and bar a few out of focus due to her being too close to me when running at me they look good on camera.

I've just uploaded a couple of example grab shots from the A7/SELF5018F;

Running full speed towards me! - F2.5, 1/3200th, ISO 160, AF-C

Testing A7 / SELF5018F Combination by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Stopping for a rest - F2.2, 1/3200th, ISO 200, AF-S

Random detail shot - F2.2, 1/60th, ISO 200, AF-S

Back