The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Considering a 35mm for my Sony A7 - what is my best bet?

If I go for the Sony 35 f2.8 I will have to wait for a decent second hand one to come up as I want to keep at under £400!

Don't want it to be massive, would like it to be AF, IQ is a big deal on this lens for me.

Cheers

That is a Nice Lens !
I wouldn't mind that on my NEX5R ! ha

It's the second time I've owned the FE 85mm f1.4 and yes it's a nice lens ;) won't be selling it a second time that's for sure, unless Sony make a G Master MKII.
The new 135mm GM sounds interesting :D

So i wondered out to Carlisle this morning, where there happens to be a Sony store, i happened to pop in to have a play with the lenses, and they happened to have the 10-18 which WAS in my desired lens list, so the salesman happened to offer me a discount on the lens which might have happened to sweeten the offer a bit i hummed and aarghed a little and after 30 seconds, i happened to get my bank card out and this happened :D

35616699123_208caa57a7_b.jpg

Thing is, i really wanted it for my trip to Bangkok, so i was prepared to buy it anyway, however, Sony shop knocked £30 off the retail price for me, then i also get £40 cash back from Sony too, so i found it too hard to resist. However, the best bit is, as i'm leaving the UK in September, i can also claim my VAT back too which is another £111, i need to go back and get the form for it though as i never thought about it whilst i was there!

Now all i need to complete my kit is a Sigma 30mm F/1.4 and decent travel tripod :D

Been looking at this but there aren't many comparisons between the Sony and Samyang at the minute - slightly concerned about the focus noise on the Samyang also - seems to be reports that it hunts constantly

I have done my fair share of the reading too and here's my opinion on the matters:
Focusing noise - some people claim it's unbearably loud and some people claim they barely notice. So I think it's purely subjective depending on your threshold and most probably unusable for videos.
Hunting - this I will trust no one. Some people try to focus a black cat in their basement with no lights and claim it hunts constantly while others will take it out in brightest of days and claim it's as good as FE35/2.8. so I'd do my own tests.

Moral of the story is buy it from a place like wex or Amazon with good returns policy and return it if you find either being problematic :D

I have done my fair share of the reading too and here's my opinion on the matters:
Focusing noise - some people claim it's unbearably loud and some people claim they barely notice. So I think it's purely subjective depending on your threshold and most probably unusable for videos.
Hunting - this I will trust no one. Some people try to focus a black cat in their basement with no lights and claim it hunts constantly while others will take it out in brightest of days and claim it's as good as FE35/2.8. so I'd do my own tests.

Moral of the story is buy it from a place like wex or Amazon with good returns policy and return it if you find either being problematic :D

true, cheers for the input.

Going to see if anyone is getting rid of the Zeiss 35mm and will take it from there! Buying brand new though and I'll be going for the Samyang.

Considering a 35mm for my Sony A7 - what is my best bet?

If I go for the Sony 35 f2.8 I will have to wait for a decent second hand one to come up as I want to keep at under £400!

Don't want it to be massive, would like it to be AF, IQ is a big deal on this lens for me.

Cheers
I have the Sony 35 f2.8, it's a great lens, compact and lightweight with excellent IQ, good things cost, the Samyang maybe a good value for money lens but I'd be surprised if it is as good as the Sony.

So i wondered out to Carlisle this morning, where there happens to be a Sony store, i happened to pop in to have a play with the lenses, and they happened to have the 10-18 which WAS in my desired lens list, so the salesman happened to offer me a discount on the lens which might have happened to sweeten the offer a bit i hummed and aarghed a little and after 30 seconds, i happened to get my bank card out and this happened :D

35616699123_208caa57a7_b.jpg

Thing is, i really wanted it for my trip to Bangkok, so i was prepared to buy it anyway, however, Sony shop knocked £30 off the retail price for me, then i also get £40 cash back from Sony too, so i found it too hard to resist. However, the best bit is, as i'm leaving the UK in September, i can also claim my VAT back too which is another £111, i need to go back and get the form for it though as i never thought about it whilst i was there!

Now all i need to complete my kit is a Sigma 30mm F/1.4 and decent travel tripod :D

Congrats, it's a great wee lens, I love mine. It can also be used on full frame cameras (A7xx series) as a full frame lens from about 12mm to 16mm with surprisingly good results.

@Nuzik - which 35mm f2.8?

I owned FE35/2.8 since release and then sold it about 4 months ago in favour of EF40/2.8.
FE35/2.8 is one of the fastest focussing lenses in e-mount. I wouldn't believe for a second samyang is as fast but it could be close depending on the light.

The A9 from what I have watched and read is a very capable camera.
The tracking AF looks amazing, though I think the new canon AF in 80D is properly the market leader.
However the dynamic range on the A9 is staggering !
It is just the menu that IMO lets it down. I know people go on about the battery, one card slot, buffer writing etc.

The A9 from what I have watched and read is a very capable camera.
The tracking AF looks amazing, though I think the new canon AF in 80D is properly the market leader.
However the dynamic range on the A9 is staggering !
It is just the menu that IMO lets it down. I know people go on about the battery, one card slot, buffer writing etc.

Have you actually used a Sony A7/9? Lots of people go on about the menu yet I've never found it an issue, nor the A6000 or NEX5 I had before. There are more than enough custom buttons if you really don't want to use a menu but for most people, having Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO and exposure comp on external dials is more than enough.

Back