The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Probably closer to £400 than £300 I'd imagine. In any case there is one on ebay for £420 if you are particularly in a hurry.

The A9 from what I have watched and read is a very capable camera.
The tracking AF looks amazing, though I think the new canon AF in 80D is properly the market leader.
However the dynamic range on the A9 is staggering !
It is just the menu that IMO lets it down. I know people go on about the battery, one card slot, buffer writing etc.
80d? The A9 af faster and more accurate than the 1dx2 nevermind the 80d!

So first 24-70 GM for sale (in classifieds)? :D

Now could someone please sell me their 16-35mm GM and/or 100-400mm GM quickly :LOL:

Last edited:
What Sony camera is it going on ! ?

Some snaps from the FE 85mm f1.4 G Master :D

36387713576_74edff1d42_c.jpg

36387710536_3ca96d75d3_c.jpg

36387707846_793de62488_c.jpg

36387704186_cb684d4d1c_c.jpg

36387700306_3b0bd21034_c.jpg

80d? The A9 af faster and more accurate than the 1dx2 nevermind the 80d!

I am sure it is !
With out having a 1DX2, 80D, and A9 to play with I can only go on what i have read and watched on YouTube.
I think the market in DSLR's and mirrorless is at a very important crossroads at the moment.
Sony for sure have come a very long way from when they purchased Minolta ( x700 was my first 35mmm DSLR ) to the amazing A9.
For me I would get Sony body if yhe adapters from EF to E mount work a lot better. Because it would be a no brainer to get a sharper IQ and great dynamic range with an excellent AF tracking system.
As I just want to take 1 camera with me on holiday, to gigs, portrait landscape shoots etc.
I am not to worried about battery life as i always take spares. Even my 7D1 I have run out of juice if I use the pop up flash a lot. The 1 card slot does not bother me as my NEX5R and 7D1 only have 1 slot. I have been use to that for years.
What is important is AF sharpness and tracking. It does not matter how great the camera is in rich features. If it can not AF then it is useless !
The other thing which IMO is important is dynamic range as tbis is linked to noise.
Better the DR then less noise in the RAW file.

So either canon produce some outstanding new bodies or Sony just turn up the hrat again to better menus, few buttons on the body, better battery, and the 2 card slots ( in the fastest format at thae tume ) Then pros will have no argument about using sony.
The one area i see as an issue is abuse !
Nikon and especially canon pro bodies can take vast amoit of abuse. Plus Nikon and Canon have many service centres. Which sony are addresding !
The future is bright, may nt be orange as it could be Sony !
One last question, can yhe A9 or A7's take a canon speedlite in the hot shoe ! ?

Sorry for the essay............

Last edited:
I am sure it is !
With out having a 1DX2, 80D, and A9 to play with I can only go on what i have read and watched on YouTube.
I think the market in DSLR's and mirrorless is at a very important crossroads at the moment.
Sony for sure have come a very long way from when they purchased Minolta ( x700 was my first 35mmm DSLR ) to the amazing A9.
For me I would get Sony body if yhe adapters from EF to E mount work a lot better. Because it would be a no brainer to get a sharper IQ and great dynamic range with an excellent AF tracking system.
As I just want to take 1 camera with me on holiday, to gigs, portrait landscape shoots etc.
I am not to worried about battery life as i always take spares. Even my 7D1 I have run out of juice if I use the pop up flash a lot. The 1 card slot does not bother me as my NEX5R and 7D1 only have 1 slot. I have been use to that for years.
What is important is AF sharpness and tracking. It does not matter how great the camera is in rich features. If it can not AF then it is useless !
The other thing which IMO is important is dynamic range as tbis is linked to noise.
Better the DR then less noise in the RAW file.

So either canon produce some outstanding new bodies or Sony just turn up the hrat again to better menus, few buttons on the body, better battery, and the 2 card slots ( in the fastest format at thae tume ) Then pros will have no argument about using sony.
The one area i see as an issue is abuse !
Nikon and especially canon pro bodies can take vast amoit of abuse. Plus Nikon and Canon have many service centres. Which sony are addresding !
The future is bright, may nt be orange as it could be Sony !
One last question, can yhe A9 or A7's take a canon speedlite in the hot shoe ! ?

Sorry for the essay............
Yea it can take canon speedlites.

Just received my new A7Rii. The people at WEX were once again very helpful, took the new one back no questions asked and me a new one in exchange. Glad I saw the offer and questioned it now. Now to assign all the custom buttons again

One question, does anyone use a screen protector with their A7Rii? I'm sure I saw somewhere that it has one built in

Just received my new A7Rii. The people at WEX were once again very helpful, took the new one back no questions asked and me a new one in exchange. Glad I saw the offer and questioned it now. Now to assign all the custom buttons again

One question, does anyone use a screen protector with their A7Rii? I'm sure I saw somewhere that it has one built in

nope you definitely need one. these sony screens don't last well without them

Hello, I am not a Sony Alpha user, but I have been interested in their tech in the Alphas, particularly the a9. I don't if this has been mentioned, but a site called CreativeLive are doing what they call a Fast Start course on the Sony a9. on the 17th Aug. What that is that a chap called John Greengo goes through virtually every setting on the camera, and gives tips along the way. I'm going to hopefully be watching to see a bit more about it. :)

For those that don't know, CreativeLive is an online video tutorial site on many creative fields, but started mainly as Photography and Image Processing. You can watch any of their courses Live or Re-Broadcast for free, though they make their money from people paying for the videos so they can watch again at their leisure. You sometimes get bonus items such as guides as well as the videos. You do not have to pay anything though. ;) You used to be able to watch unregistered and/or not be logged in, but I am not sure about that, as when the pop up pops up, I log in and continue what I was watching. :D

I have no connection to CreativeLive apart from buying a couple of their courses over the years, including the Nikon D500 Fast Start, but I thought a9 users, or potential a9 users, or people like me who just want to see where Sony are up to with the a9 may enjoy it. :) And you never know, you may learn something. I know I picked up a couple of tips in the D500 course. :D

They do but the coating suffers on all Sonys so buy a glass protector.

Actually, the following happened to me in 2000: my 70-200 f2.8 L lens dropped from tripod height into the floor (due to haste changing the lens, on my part). Guess what: the lens did not broke, but something inside was bent and became misaligned. The folks from CPS told me that the lens was built like this to survive the daily bumps that pros submit them to. But in instances of dropping, something inside always gives up.

So there you go. IMO is better for a lens, upon being dropped, to break at a mechanical junction, making repairs easier and cheaper.

Copied and paste from dp

the coating doesn't suffer from anything. The screens delaminate, you can always replace them yourself for £10-20 if you really want to.

but screen protector does help, especially tempered glass ones. They provide good amount of protection to knocks and scruffs too.

Last edited:
the coating doesn't suffer from anything. The screens delaminate, you can always replace them yourself for £10-20 if you really want to.

but screen protector does help, especially tempered glass ones. They provide good amount of protection to knocks and scruffs too.
I've always fitted the glass protectors in the past, any particular ones that are recommended?

I've always used the official Sony screen protectors on my bodies but can also recommend GDS/3M brands. :)

Thanks for pointing it out. That jogged my memory as to why I don't care for Sony lenses.
Poor quality control with terribad customer service.
So if my expensive piece of glass broke I'm not sure Sony would help me. I don't fancy re-buying 2K worth lenses should something happen because of poor customer service.

That's two GM I had in mind I won't be buying :p

Thanks for pointing it out. That jogged my memory as to why I don't care for Sony lenses.
Poor quality control with terribad customer service.
So if my expensive piece of glass broke I'm not sure Sony would help me. I don't fancy re-buying 2K worth lenses should something happen because of poor customer service.

That's two GM I had in mind I won't be buying :p

That was the f4 version.

That was the f4 version.
Two things:
1. It's still a G series lens. What is to say they didn't cut corners in others inc. GM lenses.
2. If you read the thread, Sony's reply was "we don't have spare parts". How in the hell they use that excuse for a in production lens that's just 3 years old is beyond me. That's plain terribad customer service, which matches my past experience with Sony.

Two things:
1. It's still a G series lens. What is to say they didn't cut corners in others inc. GM lenses.
2. If you read the thread, Sony's reply was "we don't have spare parts". How in the hell they use that excuse for a in production lens that's just 3 years old is beyond me. That's plain terribad customer service, which matches my past experience with Sony.

Two things:
1. Agree
2. I didn't read it all. And I still agree with you.

Two things:
Lol did you read the thread properly? It wasn't Sony who said that but some off the road third party repair place

Do Sony have their own repair centres or do they outsource?
They 2 in the US. 1 here in London opening in September I think

May have one in Australia now too
Edit. I know a family member friend who fixes all kinds of cameras including Sony a7 series that I could go to as well.

Sony are trying. You br at the same level with canon with lenses and after sales. It takes time

Last edited:
Back