The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A jobbing photographer may indirectly influence the public by being seen using Sony gear at events if they are not media active, but they will start influence their employers who may think in terms of needing a Canon this, or a Nikon that, to do the job. If you have been employing someone who has delivered in the past, and now they still deliver, or even get shots that were somehow not possible with Canon or Nikon gear, after the change to Sony, you start to open their minds to employing new photographers who may come with great images, but they happen to use the a9 for example.

I don't think public at an event will be influenced any more than someone on flickr will be influenced by seeing pictures of a hobbyist. For example at a wedding how many guests (or the couple) do you think will remember what camera the photographer used. Heck i am interested in cameras and even I don't remember the camera photographer used at my wedding. Videographer used a sony and only reason I remember is because I recognise the model (nothing gained there). So I don't think it makes much difference to public whatever they use as long as clients are getting the results.

This debate comes back to the fact you're unhappy that you can't get Sony Professional Support because you're not a professional (jobbing) photographer. Sony set the criteria for the Pro support they offer so if you want the support you need to make sure you meet their requirements. If you don't want to do that, use what every other hobbyist does and have a warranty on new kit and cover the rest with your own insurance.

Like Canon CPS, the Sony Pro Support only offers loaner kit if they can't fix your kit within the expected turnaround time. They don't offer a walk in walk out replacement service for everything.

I don't think public at an event will be influenced any more than someone on flickr will be influenced by seeing pictures of a hobbyist. For example at a wedding how many guests (or the couple) do you think will remember what camera the photographer used. Heck i am interested in cameras and even I don't remember the camera photographer used at my wedding. Videographer used a sony and only reason I remember is because I recognise the model (nothing gained there). So I don't think it makes much difference to public whatever they use as long as clients are getting the results.

I'm the opposite. I can remember which cameras and lenses were used throughout my brothers wedding last week for both photos and video. Perhaps as I have quite an interest in the gear almost as much as the photo taking.

I agree that the majority of jobbing photographers market themselves as the end result is what a client pays for, not the pleasure of seeing someone use a Sony camera. However, the manufacturer cares about their exposure which is where certain photographers ensure that their videos/blogs/posts are more about the kit they use than their end results. They're clearly the minority in the grand scheme of jobbing togs but they're also bringing in the most financial reward for Sony/CaNikon etc.

However, as per the posts above, if you're someone shooting professionally and you meet the hardware criteria, there's nothing stopping you from applying for PSP support.

I think we have some sort of an agreement finally :D

I see what you mean, the possibility and prospects are much higher with a jobbing protog.

Back where this all started so I do meet the hardware criteria but the problem is I am not a jobbing protog (for now!). If my expensive gear breaks my previous customer service experience with Sony tells me getting it fixed will be a pain. So I simply sold most of my expensive gear (A99, Sony 16-35mm/2.8 ZA, Sony 70-400mm G, Sony 50mm f/1.4 ZA and few other zeiss/G lenses). If I could trust sony's customer I'd most probably go out and buy two GM lenses (16-35+100-400 to replace my much missed a-mount setup) and may be an A9 in future.

I'm the opposite. I can remember which cameras and lenses were used throughout my brothers wedding last week for both photos and video. Perhaps as I have quite an interest in the gear almost as much as the photo taking.

I am interested in gear too but at a wedding especially my own i have other things to concentrate on :D
But my point was people such as yourself are most probably in the minority and not the majority :)

I think we have some sort of an agreement finally :D

I see what you mean, the possibility and prospects are much higher with a jobbing protog.

Back where this all started so I do meet the hardware criteria but the problem is I am not a jobbing protog (for now!). If my expensive gear breaks my previous customer service experience with Sony tells me getting it fixed will be a pain. So I simply sold most of my expensive gear (A99, Sony 16-35mm/2.8 ZA, Sony 70-400mm G, Sony 50mm f/1.4 ZA and few other zeiss/G lenses). If I could trust sony's customer I'd most probably go out and buy two GM lenses (16-35+100-400 to replace my much missed a-mount setup) and may be an A9 in future.

It seems strange to not have kit because you think it would be a pain to sort issues out? You don't have to be a pro photographer to have insurance if you're not confident in a standard warranty. Most photo insurance will cover like for like so you'd be fine.

It seems strange to not have kit because you think it would be a pain to sort issues out? You don't have to be a pro photographer to have insurance if you're not confident in a standard warranty. Most photo insurance will cover like for like so you'd be fine.

Will insurance replace my gear like for like or will offer to cover repair costs first?
Getting Sony to repair anything (under warranty or not) seems to be a pain in my experience.

Will insurance replace my gear like for like or will offer to cover repair costs first?
Getting Sony to repair anything (under warranty or not) seems to be a pain in my experience.
Well it would depend on the situation. They won't replace your gear if it's economical to repair. They are a business. But you can have it all listed seperately on your home insurance as well. You'll need to state that they go away from home etc

Well that's what I fear, as long as I can avoid Sony customer (non-)service I am happy :D
I have the body itself listed in my home insurance which protects it against accidental damage and loss. My lenses I have changed quite a lot so I haven't listed separately.

Also I haven't checked how I'd claim insurance on used lenses and if its possible. Because for example if I buy on here, I don't have receipt or any particular proof since we use bank transfers to pay for goods.

Well that's what I fear, as long as I can avoid Sony customer (non-)service I am happy :D
I have the body itself listed in my home insurance which protects it against accidental damage and loss. My lenses I have changed quite a lot so I haven't listed separately.

Also I haven't checked how I'd claim insurance on used lenses and if its possible. Because for example if I buy on here, I don't have receipt or any particular proof since we use bank transfers to pay for goods.
You don't need a receipt for proof of ownership, take photos of the items. And send them to the insurance company if need be.

Been a good week, got my new lens and also my canon selphy printer :D

Test samples from my new FE85/1.8 (all shot @f/1.8), I must say I am liking this lens
Centre crop:
36333160982_83d4b8333f_b.jpg

Corner crop:
36104594860_591a0fbd5d_b.jpg

Bokeh test (no crop):
35666561824_26900c80a8_b.jpg

Last edited:
Been a good week, got my new lens and also my canon selphy printer :D

Test samples from my new FE85/1.8 (all shot @f/1.8), I must say I am liking this lens
Centre crop:
36333160982_83d4b8333f_b.jpg

Corner crop:
36104594860_591a0fbd5d_b.jpg

Bokeh test (no crop):
35666561824_26900c80a8_b.jpg
Careful you don't purposely drop your new lens and break it in half. Sony will be mad at you and you will be banned from ever being a pro member

Careful you don't purposely drop your new lens and break it in half. Sony will be mad at you and you will be banned from ever being a pro member

:LOL:

Not to worry, I am probably already banned anyway since I have bought this cattle-class lens instead of the (G-)master class version :p

:LOL:

Not to worry, I am probably already banned anyway since I have bought this cattle-class lens instead of the (G-)master class version :p

Just because it's not a G Master doesn't mean it's not fine glass, the bulk of the Sony / G / Zeiss lenses are excellent.

That looks like it's designed to break that way from an impact to prevent more severe damage. From reading the thread, the OP didn't take it to an official repair centre.
You're not serious are you? Only the most evangelical fanboy could ever buy into an idea that a lens is designed to fall apart so as to make it easier to fix. Another stroke of pure design genius by Sony that one!

To much magenta in the Canon, to much green/yellow in the sony... but it's probably closer to real life.

Last edited:
You're not serious are you? Only the most evangelical fanboy could ever buy into an idea that a lens is designed to fall apart so as to make it easier to fix. Another stroke of pure design genius by Sony that one!

I don't know about lenses but of course various bits and bobs have parts that are designed to fail before damage to others is caused.

I'm pretty amazed that anyone would question the principle... but as we're talking about lenses I don't know if the principle is put into practice.

Have you ever tried glueing a glass element back together when it's cracked due to impact damage...maybe Sony designed in easy to replace plastic parts within the body because it keeps repair costs down..

I'm no Fanboy but it makes sense to me

I don't know about lenses but of course various bits and bobs have parts that are designed to fail before damage to others is caused.

I'm pretty amazed that anyone would question the principle... but as we're talking about lenses I don't know if the principle is put into practice.
I've got 30 years of dodgy engineering behind me so I accept the principle of designed weak links. However, this thread is the first time I've ever seen it used as an excuse for a lens falling apart. Previously manufacturers seem to have made their more expensive lenses marginally more robustly. Not that chucking precision optics around is ever a very sensible idea.

Have you ever tried glueing a glass element back together when it's cracked due to impact damage...maybe Sony designed in easy to replace plastic parts within the body because it keeps repair costs down..

I'm no Fanboy but it makes sense to me
Maybe you always plan on having to get your glass repaired.
Me and I guess most other punters hope their expensive purchases don't break.
It's a fanboy statement. A few canons had known issues with ribbon failure. Never seen that lauded before.

It's a fanboy statement. A few canons had known issues with ribbon failure. Never seen that lauded before.

Your purchase won't break if you don't drop it though. I know these things happen though and is it so far fetched to think that a large volume manufacturer like Sony wouldn't plan for repairs and make the most likely part to break also the cheapest to replace?

As I say, I'm no fanboy, more speaking from a design/engineering point of view.

Last edited:

That's common sense but has nothing to do with Sony. If someone uses a lens to take photographs, I'd be surprised if it snapped in half (if it did, that would be another story!). If someone drops their lens from 4ft onto a concrete floor and it breaks, it's the photographers' fault and the manufacturer will have to foot the bill to repair it under warranty. In that case, it makes financial sense to make the repair as simple and cheap as possible.

The bulk of my photography gear is 30-60 years old and built predominantly from metal but modern buyers want light kit that performs well optically. Lightweight and surviving being dropped don't always go together.

If I could trust sony's customer I'd most probably go out and buy two GM lenses (16-35+100-400 to replace my much missed a-mount setup) and may be an A9 in future.
I wouldn't put trust in Sony full stop. Always chopping and changing ranges, virtually stopping a range and going in another direction, you either stick with what you have, follow their new line, or ef you. :rolleyes: How many different lens ranges do they have now! :confused:

And because Photography is not their prime business, they could stop it all just like that, like Samsung. Unlikely of course, but never say never. Who saw Lexar getting out of the Memory Card business coming? :eek:

I certainly wouldn't run a business with their gear unless I had everything I ever needed and spares were readily available for what I had. And for that they need a few more years on the clock building a network that caters for all well, not just the Pro's.

It is just my opinion though. The Sony (RX100M3) I have works very well and I am very happy with it. If it breaks, seeing as I bought it 2nd hand, I would try and get a cheap replacement. No need to go near Sony unless it was a design fault that affected a load of cameras.

I wouldn't put trust in Sony full stop. Always chopping and changing ranges, virtually stopping a range and going in another direction, you either stick with what you have, follow their new line, or ef you. :rolleyes: How many different lens ranges do they have now! :confused:

Only two (a-mount and e-mount). Even canon has more :p

Finally done it! Ordered 2 x A9 this morning along with 16-35 f2.8, 55mm ZA, Sony 85mm 1.8. I'll order the 70-200 f2.8 next week. I'll wait for the announcement of the A7Riii before snapping up an A7Rii.

I was super-tempted for an 85mm GM but talked myself out of it. Happy days.

Far from a fanboy. In fact, I don't particularly like most Sony products and have never owned a sony camera.
Fair enough. That said if you Google this there are quite a few reports of this lens breaking like this. Some inside packaging delivered broken. Considering there's probably relatively few of them compared to CaNikon equivalents it's pretty poor.

Back