The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Finally done it! Ordered 2 x A9 this morning along with 16-35 f2.8, 55mm ZA, Sony 85mm 1.8. I'll order the 70-200 f2.8 next week. I'll wait for the announcement of the A7Riii before snapping up an A7Rii.

I was super-tempted for an 85mm GM but talked myself out of it. Happy days.

That is quite the purchase. Congrats. Some lovely gear there!

Finally done it! Ordered 2 x A9 this morning along with 16-35 f2.8, 55mm ZA, Sony 85mm 1.8. I'll order the 70-200 f2.8 next week. I'll wait for the announcement of the A7Riii before snapping up an A7Rii.

congrats on the new gear. All very sharp and good lenses. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.
But I'd have thought you'd go for A9 and A7RII instead of 2x A9. They'd compliment each other nicely but not being able to share battery between the two would be a pain.

Out of interest, what do you tend to shoot? I'm guessing sports with the dual A9's and the 70-200 down the line.

Surely for sport the 70-200 would be the first lens. Not a WA zoom or considering a 85mm. I guess fast street and weddings/portraits. [emoji6]

Hence why I asked the question. Is there such a thing as fast street and an A7ii is perfectly capable of shooting weddings/portraits so I'm interested in what the A9's are going to be used for.

The kit will come in handy for those pictures then :0)
I just purchased the 85-1.8 this morning, planning a trip to London tomorrow to try it out, I've never used anything other than 28 or 35 before for "street" should be an interesting experience.

Out of interest, what do you tend to shoot? I'm guessing sports with the dual A9's and the 70-200 down the line.

Surely for sport the 70-200 would be the first lens. Not a WA zoom or considering a 85mm. I guess fast street and weddings/portraits. [emoji6]

The dual A9's are mainly for weddings. The 70-200 would be for wedding emergencies but I try not to use zooms any more. I quite like the idea of a 3 prime lens set up for weddings.

For my own pleasure though, street and portraits are what I enjoy, in that order. To a lesser extent, I quite enjoy landscape, although I hardly know anything about that! Not that I know too much about anything I really shoot!!! I just know that when I have done landscape, I liked it.

I've zero interest in the 100-400 [?] lens.

I'd be very happy shooting the Ricoh GR all day long for street..but not at the bonkers prices I've seen them going for.

The dual A9's are mainly for weddings. The 70-200 would be for wedding emergencies but I try not to use zooms any more. I quite like the idea of a 3 prime lens set up for weddings.

For my own pleasure though, street and portraits are what I enjoy, in that order. To a lesser extent, I quite enjoy landscape, although I hardly know anything about that! Not that I know too much about anything I really shoot!!! I just know that when I have done landscape, I liked it.

I'd be very happy shooting the Ricoh GR all day long for street..but not at the bonkers prices I've seen them going for.

Good luck with the new kit. It will be good to see some results too. [emoji1303]

I'll be using 3 primes at a wedding next week. The 28mm f2, 55mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.4

congrats on the new gear. All very sharp and good lenses. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.
But I'd have thought you'd go for A9 and A7RII instead of 2x A9. They'd compliment each other nicely but not being able to share battery between the two would be a pain.

TBH, I was really, really tempted for 1 x A9 & 1 x A7Rii. But, my [insane] thinking was this:

As a second body, I thought it would be best to buy the more expensive option now while I can afford it. That's the long and short of it. That, and the fact that I will be only using one battery/charger at this moment in time.

We may [?] see a little price drop on the A7Rii once the iii rumor mill goes into overdrive. I should be in a better position to afford the ii in the forthcoming months...it'll certainly be easier to save for than it would a second A9 at a later date!

I still fancy having a ii for my trip to Alaska next May and I cannot foresee any huge advantages that the iii would offer that the ii cannot at this moment in time. Yes, it's going to be 'better'. But if I were to be offered the ii now, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
:withstupid:

Last edited:
I've just done a short term swap with a friend of my OM 35mm 2.8 Shift for his OM 24mm 2.8 for the extra width. The Shift lens is excellent and very sharp but I'm going away to Florida in October and took my Samyang 12mm with me last time so need a wide angle. I'm tempted to go further and get a Samyang 14mm along with a Samyang 85mm for portraits too so I'll see how I get on.

I'm heading out on Wednesday evening with a friend to shoot some landscapes so I'll give it a run out and see.

I've just done a short term swap with a friend of my OM 35mm 2.8 Shift for his OM 24mm 2.8 for the extra width. The Shift lens is excellent and very sharp but I'm going away to Florida in October and took my Samyang 12mm with me last time so need a wide angle. I'm tempted to go further and get a Samyang 14mm along with a Samyang 85mm for portraits too so I'll see how I get on.

I'm heading out on Wednesday evening with a friend to shoot some landscapes so I'll give it a run out and see.

I have one of those. I really like the OM 24 and 28mm f2.8's and 50mm f1.8 as they're so compact. For actual image quality for me the Rokkor 24mm f2.8 shades the Oly.

Yes. The Canon is somewhat more pleasing but slightly further from reality.

I take more pleasing than close to reality any day if the week.

Black and white photos are not reality.

F/1.2 isn't reality.

Freezing time isn't reality.

Colour science is a mixture of reality and pleasing, it's as much a science as art. This is why film have different styles, people prefer Velvia or Provia or Astia or Kodachrome etc. They all have their charm you buy them because you like the colours from them, not really that they are closest to reality.

I take more pleasing than close to reality any day if the week.

Black and white photos are not reality.

F/1.2 isn't reality.

Freezing time isn't reality.

Colour science is a mixture of reality and pleasing, it's as much a science as art. This is why film have different styles, people prefer Velvia or Provia or Astia or Kodachrome etc. They all have their charm you buy them because you like the colours from them, not really that they are closest to reality.

Adjusting a flat file is easier though. Doesnt mean the canon or Sony will be more pleasing in every scenario.

You shoot Canon?

Last edited:
Id rather adjust from something flat and accurate... or id shoot jpg profile.

So you admit you don't like a flat image?

It's not about accurate, it's about pleasing and at the end of the day you want to show people a more pleasing image, if the Canon can do that out of the gate then it's a head start.

So you admit you don't like a flat image?

It's not about accurate, it's about pleasing and at the end of the day you want to show people a more pleasing image, if the Canon can do that out of the gate then it's a head start.

A flat image is easier to work with. No magenta cast to remove. The Canon has a slight edge in that case in another the Sony may be better. Everyone sees it differently.

Last edited:
Adjusting a flat file is easier though. Doesnt mean the canon or Sony will be more pleasing in every scenario.

You shoot Canon?

I shoot Canon, Fuji and about to add Sony to my kit.

So no, I'm not biased, and yes I think Canon's colours are nicer than Fuji too.

Last edited:
I shoot Canon, Fuji and about to add Sony to my kit.

So no, I'm not biased, and yes I think Canon's colours are nicer than Fuji too.

You like Canon, id say Nikon then Fuji then Canon and Sony are fairly close together. Sonys colour used to be dire though for skintones.

Last edited:
You like Canon, id say Nikon, Fuji, Canon and Sony are fairly close together. Sonys colour used to be dire though for skintones.

I like the colour out of Canon but I don't like Canon for the name or the company or you think I am biased, there is no brand alligence as I have or will have 3 of the 4 brands you named.

I like the colour out of Canon but I don't like Canon for the name or the company or you think I am biased, there is no brand alligence as I have or will have 3 of the 4 brands you named.

I've owned all of those plus more so no bias here either. It's what's easiest to work with.

Looks like the 16-35mm/4 ZA is better built than GM version. If that's really the case, I might skip the GM.

Looks like the 16-35mm/4 ZA is better built than GM version. If that's really the case, I might skip the GM.

Probably feels like it is but in reality the GM's are better engineered and built.
I'm sure there are other reviews out there which say the GM is better than the Zeiss f4.

Well don't skip it if you need 2.8.
If f4 is ok with you get that one. It's a very good lens and will save you a shed load of cash over the 2.8.

I already have the 16-35mm f4.

What I want in reality is something built like Oly bodies and lenses. I guess I can't expect that of sony e-mount :(

Reactions: jbw
I already have the 16-35mm f4.

What I want in reality is something built like Oly bodies and lenses. I guess I can't expect that of sony e-mount :(

Personally found the build quality of the 16-35 to be excellent. Never dropped it though..

it not so much about dropping stuff (I am pretty good at not dropping stuff). Its more being able to shoot in adverse weather conditions like the rain or snow. My Sony A77M2 with 16-50mm/2.8 could handle anything, was built and sealed really well. Nothing like that on e-mount.

it not so much about dropping stuff (I am pretty good at not dropping stuff). Its more being able to shoot in adverse weather conditions like the rain or snow. My Sony A77M2 with 16-50mm/2.8 could handle anything, was built and sealed really well. Nothing like that on e-mount.

Plenty of professional photographers shooting in differing weather conditions with the A7 series and associated lenses.

What are you shooting with now? And do you know that it can't handle those conditions?

I currently have A7RII and A7 with 16-35mm/4 and 85mm/1.8.
I don't know for a fact but the feeling I get from reading online is that I better not risk it.

Back