1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    That is quite the purchase. Congrats. Some lovely gear there!

Jesus Quintana and Riz_Guru like this.
  2. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    congrats on the new gear. All very sharp and good lenses. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.
    But I'd have thought you'd go for A9 and A7RII instead of 2x A9. They'd compliment each other nicely but not being able to share battery between the two would be a pain.

3. stevelmx5

stevelmx5

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Out of interest, what do you tend to shoot? I'm guessing sports with the dual A9's and the 70-200 down the line.

4. Wayne Els

Wayne Els

Name:
    Wayne
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Surely for sport the 70-200 would be the first lens. Not a WA zoom or considering a 85mm. I guess fast street and weddings/portraits.

Jesus Quintana likes this.
  5. stevelmx5

stevelmx5

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Hence why I asked the question. Is there such a thing as fast street and an A7ii is perfectly capable of shooting weddings/portraits so I'm interested in what the A9's are going to be used for.

addicknchips and Wayne Els like this.
  6. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    I would skip the 70-200 for sports. Too short imo

7. Wayne Els

Wayne Els

Name:
    Wayne
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Jugglers and other street performers.

8. stevelmx5

stevelmx5

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The kit will come in handy for those pictures then :0)

Wayne Els likes this.
  9. old bloke

old bloke

Name:
    bob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I just purchased the 85-1.8 this morning, planning a trip to London tomorrow to try it out, I've never used anything other than 28 or 35 before for "street" should be an interesting experience.

10. Nuzik

Nuzik

Name:
    Neil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I used it a fair bit
    https://flic.kr/p/WXCtaE

LeeRatters and old bloke like this.
  11. Jesus Quintana

Jesus Quintana

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The dual A9's are mainly for weddings. The 70-200 would be for wedding emergencies but I try not to use zooms any more. I quite like the idea of a 3 prime lens set up for weddings.

For my own pleasure though, street and portraits are what I enjoy, in that order. To a lesser extent, I quite enjoy landscape, although I hardly know anything about that! Not that I know too much about anything I really shoot!!! I just know that when I have done landscape, I liked it.

I've zero interest in the 100-400 [?] lens.

I'd be very happy shooting the Ricoh GR all day long for street..but not at the bonkers prices I've seen them going for.

stevelmx5 and Wayne Els like this.
  12. stevelmx5

stevelmx5

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Good luck with the new kit. It will be good to see some results too.

13. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'll be using 3 primes at a wedding next week. The 28mm f2, 55mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.4

Riz_Guru and Jesus Quintana like this.
  14. Jesus Quintana

Jesus Quintana

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    TBH, I was really, really tempted for 1 x A9 & 1 x A7Rii. But, my [insane] thinking was this:

As a second body, I thought it would be best to buy the more expensive option now while I can afford it. That's the long and short of it. That, and the fact that I will be only using one battery/charger at this moment in time.

We may [?] see a little price drop on the A7Rii once the iii rumor mill goes into overdrive. I should be in a better position to afford the ii in the forthcoming months...it'll certainly be easier to save for than it would a second A9 at a later date!

I still fancy having a ii for my trip to Alaska next May and I cannot foresee any huge advantages that the iii would offer that the ii cannot at this moment in time. Yes, it's going to be 'better'. But if I were to be offered the ii now, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
    :withstupid:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    jonneymendoza and stevelmx5 like this.
  15. Jesus Quintana

Jesus Quintana

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I was thinking along those lines too! The 28mm will have to follow when funds allow!

16. stevelmx5

stevelmx5

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I've just done a short term swap with a friend of my OM 35mm 2.8 Shift for his OM 24mm 2.8 for the extra width. The Shift lens is excellent and very sharp but I'm going away to Florida in October and took my Samyang 12mm with me last time so need a wide angle. I'm tempted to go further and get a Samyang 14mm along with a Samyang 85mm for portraits too so I'll see how I get on.

I'm heading out on Wednesday evening with a friend to shoot some landscapes so I'll give it a run out and see.

17. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I have one of those. I really like the OM 24 and 28mm f2.8's and 50mm f1.8 as they're so compact. For actual image quality for me the Rokkor 24mm f2.8 shades the Oly.

stevelmx5 likes this.
  18. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Name:
    Raymond
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I take more pleasing than close to reality any day if the week.

Black and white photos are not reality.

F/1.2 isn't reality.

Freezing time isn't reality.

Colour science is a mixture of reality and pleasing, it's as much a science as art. This is why film have different styles, people prefer Velvia or Provia or Astia or Kodachrome etc. They all have their charm you buy them because you like the colours from them, not really that they are closest to reality.

jonneymendoza likes this.
  19. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Adjusting a flat file is easier though. Doesnt mean the canon or Sony will be more pleasing in every scenario.

You shoot Canon?

20. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Name:
    Raymond
    Edit My Images:
    No
    So you admit you don't like a flat image?

It's not about accurate, it's about pleasing and at the end of the day you want to show people a more pleasing image, if the Canon can do that out of the gate then it's a head start.

21. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    A flat image is easier to work with. No magenta cast to remove. The Canon has a slight edge in that case in another the Sony may be better. Everyone sees it differently.

jonneymendoza likes this.
  22. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Name:
    Raymond
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I shoot Canon, Fuji and about to add Sony to my kit.

So no, I'm not biased, and yes I think Canon's colours are nicer than Fuji too.

23. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    You like Canon, id say Nikon then Fuji then Canon and Sony are fairly close together. Sonys colour used to be dire though for skintones.

24. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Name:
    Raymond
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I like the colour out of Canon but I don't like Canon for the name or the company or you think I am biased, there is no brand alligence as I have or will have 3 of the 4 brands you named.

25. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    I've owned all of those plus more so no bias here either. It's what's easiest to work with.

26. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    .... what looks best in least amount of time.

27. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Name:
    Raymond
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Which is the Canon...

28. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    In this case... slightly.

29. Nuzik

Nuzik

Name:
    Neil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I find the Sony RAWs really workable and better than the d750 and the xt2 but that's my preference

30. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
  31. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Looks like the 16-35mm/4 ZA is better built than GM version. If that's really the case, I might skip the GM.

32. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Probably feels like it is but in reality the GM's are better engineered and built.
    I'm sure there are other reviews out there which say the GM is better than the Zeiss f4.

33. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Well don't skip it if you need 2.8.
    If f4 is ok with you get that one. It's a very good lens and will save you a shed load of cash over the 2.8.

34. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I already have the 16-35mm f4.

What I want in reality is something built like Oly bodies and lenses. I guess I can't expect that of sony e-mount :(

jbw likes this.
  35. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Personally found the build quality of the 16-35 to be excellent. Never dropped it though..

36. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    it not so much about dropping stuff (I am pretty good at not dropping stuff). Its more being able to shoot in adverse weather conditions like the rain or snow. My Sony A77M2 with 16-50mm/2.8 could handle anything, was built and sealed really well. Nothing like that on e-mount.

37. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Plenty of professional photographers shooting in differing weather conditions with the A7 series and associated lenses.

38. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    What are you shooting with now? And do you know that it can't handle those conditions?

39. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I currently have A7RII and A7 with 16-35mm/4 and 85mm/1.8.
    I don't know for a fact but the feeling I get from reading online is that I better not risk it.

40. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Risk what