The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

28mm F2.0. Opinions? My next purchase was/might still be a 16-35 F4 to replace my Canon. But I'm now considering a prime at the mid/longer end instead. For the money this seems a good punt.

Very sharp, and with sharpness you get a lot of distortion. It's fully corrected and easily in lightroom or in-camera but some purists don't like that.

I'm back at the Olympic stadium this evening. Same kit. 100-400 with 1.4x tc. Gave my 70-200 F2.8 mk2 canon to my gf along with the 1.4x for her to use on her 100d
1064783e121ad9e23596522c48707cd0.jpg

yes thats it I am :)

The RX100 III, where do I begin.... a real pocketable camera with great IQ and feature set... is it worth £569 to me?, in my opinion it isn't but I managed to buy it at a great price via PrimeDay so took the plunge.
It's no Sony A9 but it's great for quick photos and quick post processing editing via iOS LR.
The 1080p video is great too with really smooth video zoom.
If you can get one for about £400ish it's worth it.

28mm F2.0. Opinions? My next purchase was/might still be a 16-35 F4 to replace my Canon. But I'm now considering a prime at the mid/longer end instead. For the money this seems a good punt.

I have one, it's a nice lens, compact, nice build quality and the IQ is fine, very good value for money too.
I also have the 16-35 f4 lens which is also excellent but a totally different lens to the 28.
I don't have a preference, I have a set of zooms and a full set of native primes and use them both depending on my mood etc.

Just to add the FE28 is sharper than 16-35mm at 28mm at f/4. At f/5.6 both are about the same. Of course FE28 is better at f/2 and f/2.8 ;)

Shots taken on the A9 and 100-400 with some using the TC 1.4x

iaaf-2017-pt1-18.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

2 printed and framed this one
iaaf-2017-pt2-167.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

iaaf-2017-pt2-76.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

iaaf-2017-pt2-98.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/josh1408/36402178185/in/album-72157684593155244/

iaaf-2017-pt1-456.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

iaaf-2017-pt1-951.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

iaaf-2017-pt2-257.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Hi all. I thought I'd ask here rather than make a new thread. I've got a few Canon lenses and I was thinking of buying a Sony A7ii with adaptor to use them.

I've been reading a fair bit on the matter, but articles I am reading seem to be from a couple of years back relating to the adaptors.

My main concern would be the autofocus performance. As much as I'd like to invest in Sony glass to try it out, it would be too big a spend so that's not an option.

Hi all. I thought I'd ask here rather than make a new thread. I've got a few Canon lenses and I was thinking of buying a Sony A7ii with adaptor to use them.

I've been reading a fair bit on the matter, but articles I am reading seem to be from a couple of years back relating to the adaptors.

My main concern would be the autofocus performance. As much as I'd like to invest in Sony glass to try it out, it would be too big a spend so that's not an option.
What canon glass you have? At least on my a7r2 the 35mm sigma art and 24-70 F2.8. L works nearly as good as native on the metabones adapter

they work well with the latest metabones adapter. although not all focus options will be available. and when the light drops so does performance.

Right now I have a 120-300 f2.8 Sigma and a Canon 85mm f1.2 ii.

I'd be looking to add another everyday lens to that mix soon, but don't want to buy anything more until I've made a decision. I don't shoot fast moving sports with the Sigma, just casual stuff.

Right now I have a 120-300 f2.8 Sigma and a Canon 85mm f1.2 ii.

I'd be looking to add another everyday lens to that mix soon, but don't want to buy anything more until I've made a decision. I don't shoot fast moving sports with the Sigma, just casual stuff.
The 85mm u have will work fine

I am thinking of selling my Sigma mc-11 adapter. I mainly use it with my canon glass (EF 50/1.4, 100/2, 100-300/4.5-5.6, 28-105/3.5-4.5 etc). All work very well :)

The sigma MC-11 is special in that it emulates native lenses and hence you get all the native AF options with supported new sigma lenses (basically their ART/C/S range of lenses).
With other unsupported lenses (i.e. EF lenses, older sigma lenses and other 3rd party lenses like tamron) it works just like any other adapter and works as well as the more expensive metabones adapter. So you don't get all the advanced native AF options like eye-AF but you get the basic AF-S and AF-C just like any other adapter.

With your sigma 120-300mm you will have some usable AF for slow stuff (eg: portraits), but you won't be able to use for action/tracking photography.

Last edited:
I am thinking of selling my Sigma mc-11 adapter. I mainly use it with my canon glass (EF 50/1.4, 100/2, 100-300/4.5-5.6, 28-105/3.5-4.5 etc). All work very well :)

The sigma MC-11 is special in that it emulates native lenses and hence you get all the native AF options with supported new sigma lenses (basically their ART/C/S range of lenses).
With other unsupported lenses (i.e. EF lenses, older sigma lenses and other 3rd party lenses like tamron) it works just like any other adapter and works as well as the more expensive metabones adapter.

With your sigma 120-300mm you will have some usable AF for slow stuff, but you won't be able to use for action/tracking photography.

Thanks. Good to have a personal recommendation. Are you moving to all Sony gear then or is there another adaptor you've found that works well? I must admit, the sigma seems good value compared to the Metabones.

I recently replaced canon 100mm f/2 with Sony 85mm f/1.8. I am trying to sell my 28-105mm since I don't use it enough. Basically for the 50mm f/1.4 (which I will eventually replace also) and 100-300mm (which i got for £15) I don't need as good an adapter as the sigma mc-11. I can put the money from selling MC-11, 28-105mm (and may be EF50/1.4) towards another native lens.

but in back of my mind I keep thinking do I really need the new Sony 100-400 GM or could I get away with the sigma 100-400mm instead....

Last edited:
I recently replaced canon 100mm f/2 with Sony 85mm f/1.8. I am trying to sell my 28-105mm since I don't use it enough. Basically for the 50mm f/1.4 (which I will eventually replace also) and 100-300mm (which i got for £15) I don't need as good an adapter as the sigma mc-11. I can put the money from selling MC-11, 28-105mm (and may be EF50/1.4) towards another native lens.

but in back of my mind I keep thinking do I really need the new Sony 100-400 GM or could I get away with the sigma 100-400mm instead....

That makes sense. It looks like focus speed is good with the metabones. Certainly good enough for me. Now - do I go with the a7ii ot the a7r (a7rii just a wee bitty too expesnive unfortunately!).

You won't get fast AF with adapters with A7R. If adapter PDAF support is important to you I suggest one of A7II, A7RII, A6300 or A6500 (or even A9 I suppose).

MC-11 is as fast as metabones (and sometimes faster too!). It worked better with certain lenses like canon 100mm f/2 and canon 85mm f/1.8 (which is why i got that).

If you are seriously interested I'll start a classifieds thread... otherwise I will simply keep it for now :p

Last edited:
That makes sense. It looks like focus speed is good with the metabones. Certainly good enough for me. Now - do I go with the a7ii ot the a7r (a7rii just a wee bitty too expesnive unfortunately!).

i wouldn't recommend it for important stuff where you need to rely on it

i wouldn't recommend it for important stuff where you need to rely on it

Photography's a hobby for me so the odd missed shot here and there won't mean too much. The main thing is that it can focus on my kids running about!

You won't get fast AF with adapters with A7R. If adapter PDAF support is important to you I suggest one of A7II, A7RII, A6300 or A6500 (or even A9 I suppose).

MC-11 is as fast as metabones (and sometimes faster too!). It worked better with certain lenses like canon 100mm f/2 and canon 85mm f/1.8 (which is why i got that).

If you are seriously interested I'll start a classifieds thread... otherwise I will simply keep it for now :p

I think I might just be converted to the Sony side!!!! I'll look at the a7ii prices just now, but pending purchase of a camera, I'd be interested in your mc-11 :).

I've just done a short term swap with a friend of my OM 35mm 2.8 Shift for his OM 24mm 2.8 for the extra width. The Shift lens is excellent and very sharp but I'm going away to Florida in October and took my Samyang 12mm with me last time so need a wide angle. I'm tempted to go further and get a Samyang 14mm along with a Samyang 85mm for portraits too so I'll see how I get on.

I'm heading out on Wednesday evening with a friend to shoot some landscapes so I'll give it a run out and see.

There's a Minolta fit Centon 24mm f2.8 at Rocky cameras for £24.99, that has to be a bargain :D

I have read quite a lot of bad reviews of rocky cameras so I have always stayed away from him.

I have read quite a lot of bad reviews of rocky cameras so I have always stayed away from him.

I've bought a few lenses without problems and in fact he's replaced one for me twice just because I fancied something different. I think the problems I've read about tend to be with more complex things like cameras. I did read somewhere that he just gets stuff and sells it on without doing anything to it and if that's true maybe that could explain why more complex stuff like old cameras could be a problem but as I said I've had no problems and in fact I've had good service when buying old lenses off him.

To be honest some of his stuff is so cheap even if you think he's the worst dealer out there it's still worth a gamble :D

Last edited:
What happened to that a9 thread?

It was never merged with this thread so got forgotten about lol :D
I think there are only 4-5 of us A9 owners, does it warrant its own thread? :)

Last edited:
Back