The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Holding a 5D at our wedding brought it all back but cameras and lenses didn't used to be so big and heavy and if they'd stayed the same size as SLR's and only put on a bit of weight (due to the cameras having electronics in them and not being empty boxes anymore and the lenses having IS and AF) I might not have gone morrorless. Despite having DSLR's for about 10 years or so I was never truly happy with the bulk, weight and attention.

For me the Sony styling is a bit like my Panasonic cameras in that I can see the retro influence but they're modern cameras and not as reto as a Fuji or Olympus.

Shooting a wedding tomorrow and getting that nervous excitement feeling as I'm charging all the batteries and getting the bags ready.

What gear are you taking? :)
Are you still considering a move back to Fuji?

What gear are you taking? :)
Are you still considering a move back to Fuji?

a7rii (gripped)
a7
28mm f2
55mm zeis f1.8
85mm f1.4 gm

speedlight
ad600 monolight
reflectors/diffusers
rotolight Neo
monopod

sp1 printer

possibly the mavic pro.

guy I'm shooting with will have a roller case full of nikon gear.

will see how it goes about the move away :)

Wouldn't it be nice if there was only one lens mount. Perhaps one mount is not entirely practical, so one mount per format.
So m43 already has this which is nice. One DSLR mount for FF/APS-C and one for mirrorless FF/APS-C. That would be such a nice world but it's not to be :(

This would save people such as SsSsSsSsSnake and myself lot of lens swaps.

I had high hopes for Sony with adapters but adapters haven't come as far as I expected. May be one day....

Last edited:
YES! :D

I have two Panasonic MFT bodies, 3 Oly primes, one Oly zoom and 3 Panny zooms. It's lovely to pick and choose.

Last edited:
Don't worry she won't notice as long as you are feeding her and the kids :D

When I swapped my 60d for a 5d3 she didn't notice. She finally twigged after using it once and announcing that the pop-up flash was stuck down ;). With the change of styling I couldn't rely on the same with the Sony

I think Sony should be applauded for making a full frame camera so tiny and lightweight. It's a hell of a shock holding a full frame dslr and then picking up an a7. I can see why it's a bit of a marmite camera.

I love the size of the Sony, after a few years with the bulk of the 5d3, it's a joy having the compact size and weight of the Sony. I like the semi retro design too, with the more angular lines :sony:

so far I'm finding the handling a pain, it's smaller and I'm not large but buttons don't fall where they should... under relaxed fingertips.

c1, c2 which are important are a pita, tbh so are c3 and c4. command dials are fine. having to activate the af point is really annoying.

it may be because it's new that things are slower but I generally pick up any camera and go without thinking after using so many over the years.

Last edited:
so far I'm finding the handling a pain, it's smaller and I'm not large but buttons don't fall where they should... under relaxed fingertips.

c1, c2 which are important are a pita, tbh so are c3 and c4. command dials are fine. having to activate the af point is really annoying.

it may be because it's new that things are slower but I generally pick up any camera and go without thinking after using so many over the years.

I'm not disagreeing with your points. An advantage though of the Sony is that the features of custom buttons is utterly interchangeable. You really do have a lot of options to set the buttons up to do what you want them to do.

There's no getting away from it that moving the focus point around is a pain. I find c1 and c2 easy enough to find though.
Still, didn't you have an a6000 for ages? It's much easier than that horrid thing.

There's no getting away from it that moving the focus point around is a pain. I find c1 and c2 easy enough to find though.
Still, didn't you have an a6000 for ages? It's much easier than that horrid thing.

Have to agree, we need the AF stick featured on the A9....

I treated the a6k as a secondary cam so I overlooked handling irritations.

I'm not disagreeing with your points. An advantage though of the Sony is that the features of custom buttons is utterly interchangeable. You really do have a lot of options to set the buttons up to do what you want them to do.

yeah but tbf most of the newer cameras allow for multiple functions on any of the buttons.

D750 to A7rii is still quite a considerable change in ergonomics. Give it time.

I will, but I can usually pick up anything and go pretty much immediately. I like the camera though... sometimes I pick something up and just think NOPE... then I'll get rid and think I'll try it again and go NOPE... sucker for punishment lol.

I will, but I can usually pick up anything and go pretty much immediately. I like the camera though... sometimes I pick something up and just think NOPE... then I'll get rid and think I'll try it again and go NOPE... sucker for punishment lol.

One of the reasons I've moved it on a few times is the handling. I know it like the back of my hand now, but don't particularly enjoy using it as much as some other cameras. But - the end result is hard to argue against.

never had issues with handling tbh. Moving focus point around the screen is a pain. But I don't use that feature very often personally.

eos m5 is really nice to use as far as moving AF points go. Very well implemented by canon. Something to learn Sony :p

Last edited:
a7rii mc11 35 ART is pretty good once the lens is at the same focal plane as subject, once the subject moves towards at or away it loses it and takes it's time, sometimes getting lost on the way but unlike a DSLR that will regain the subject very quickly the a7rii will rack it's focus.

this behaviour is more apparent with adapted than native ime but even native likes to rack back and forth and micro focus (pump) before confirmation.

never had issues with handling tbh. Moving focus point around the screen is a pain. But I don't use that feature very often personally.

eos m5 is really nice to use as far as moving AF points go. Very well implemented by canon. Something to learn Sony :p

I think it's well implemented by everyone except Sony.... saved that AMAZING feature for the a9 lol.

No EVF = no sale as far as I am concerned :p
Lack of EVF alone makes the DSLR handling bad for me :D

No EVF = no sale as far as I am concerned :p
Lack of EVF alone makes the DSLR handling bad for me :D
I have quickly become a convert to EVF, a perfect example of this has been during my current holiday. Previously with my Canon I would flick between Tv or Av dependant on what I wanted to shoot and chimp away. However I have shot 90% of my holiday (about 500 shots) so far in manual!! Granted about half of that was with Auto ISO, and a limit of 12800. But last night I walked around the new Pandora area of Disneys Animal Kingdom at night and as the light dropped up went the ISO, eventually I ended up shooting manual ISO and even hit 20,000+ on some shots. I have to admit that having lifted the shadows there is noise in some areas but in the main most of them I would say were usable, I have even earmarked one for canvas. In fact of the photos so far I have 3 candidates, thats 3 more than with my Canon. As others have said the sensor is fantastic and the detail you can pull out of both shadows and highlights are phenomenal.

Yes I have become an annoying fanboy!!!!

My new toy arrived, and I love it :D

Wide open and taken using peaking.

DSC07857.jpg

DSC07858.jpg

100% from that last one.

DSC07858-C.jpg

As I was peaking to hit her near eye I think that's quite good :D

Last edited:
My new toy, whole image and 100% at f5.6.

H-DSC07851.jpg

Macro at a distance :D

DSC07851.jpg

I had one of these a few years ago and gave it away but recently I've been looking at the pictures I took with it and decided I'd like another :D It's a bit lower contrast and a bit less excellent but I think lovely :D

Last edited:
Not respectful to talk of your wife that way :whistle:

Actually I'm lucky she's not my ex wife as I've just bored her silly looking at these pictures and going on about the differences between old and new lenses and transitions from sharp to out of focus etc. She's upstairs now, probably packing :D

My new toy, whole image and 100% at f5.6.

View attachment 108746

Macro at a distance :D

View attachment 108747

I had one of these a few years ago and gave it away but recently I've been looking at the pictures I took with it and decided I'd like another :D It's a bit lower contrast and a bit less excellent but I think lovely :D
I like these a lot,youve not said what it was taken with?

Last edited:
Back