The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

awesome, found a work around for the af point activation, flexible spot, activate it only once, use BBF afc and the next time you need to move the point don't press the activation button just press any direction. even when I turn the camera off and on I don't need to activate the point selector.

awesome, found a work around for the af point activation, flexible spot, activate it only once, use BBF afc and the next time you need to move the point don't press the activation button just press any direction. even when I turn the camera off and on I don't need to activate the point selector.
All you need now is someone to design a decent battery! lol

yes I am quite impressed with it, i used it last time but had forgotten that it is very good and free for the express version

I do from time to time. Especially for large prints because it renders Sony RAWs better than LR.
How does it handle noise. I've taken a few shots over the last couple of days that are in excess if 12800. Other than noise in some of the dark areas (caused by raising the shadows)they seem stunning. I am wanting to put them onto canvas when I get home. Only other option is to take them again and try and blend multiple exposures.

How does it handle noise. I've taken a few shots over the last couple of days that are in excess if 12800. Other than noise in some of the dark areas (caused by raising the shadows)they seem stunning. I am wanting to put them onto canvas when I get home. Only other option is to take them again and try and blend multiple exposures.

If you want to the best noise reduction its probably DXO optics. If you save up your RAWs that you want to process and print, you could just use the trial version for now.

Capture one saves more details than LR does and gives better colour rendition. But its also slightly noisier, most of which does disappear when you print. But once again depends on your print sizes.

But you can try capture one for yourself for free. The express version shouldn't be any different than pro version in terms of noise reduction and shadow lifts. Also pro version is like 30 quid for Sony users, so its not that expensive.

Last edited:
If you want to the best noise reduction its probably DXO optics. If you save up your RAWs that you want to process and print, you could just use the trial version for now.

Capture one saves more details than LR does and gives better colour rendition. But its also slightly noisier, most of which does disappear when you print. But once again depends on your print sizes.

But you can try capture one for yourself for free. The express version shouldn't be any different than pro version in terms of noise reduction and shadow lifts. Also pro version is like 30 quid for Sony users, so its not that expensive.
has it come down,didnt it used to be £50?

has it come down,didnt it used to be £50?
Oops finger trouble...Not sure whether it was 50 Euros or 50 squids, It may have been the latter. Whatever it's a steal price TBH, (un)fortunately I got into it, liked it, and had to pay the full whack price [expensive] to improve all my Canon Raws from ACR [maybe I didn't get the best out of LR, well for sure I didn't, but that just might be me]

It was Euros but ex vat...
upload_2017-8-19_21-57-22.png

When I subsequently switched from the Capture One Pro 9 for Sony to the full Capture One Pro I got the 60 Euros discounted off the full price.

Beware I bought the full Pro 9 late September only to find that Capture One Pro 10 came out in November and Phase One only allows 1 measly month grace, so had I purchased Pro 9 in October I think I would have gotten Pro 10 either free or a lot cheaper.

Anyone tried the 135 L with a mc11?

Yes briefly. Its slower than my other canon lenses (eg: 100mm/2, 50mm/1.4). But I believe its slower to focus than these lenses even on native bodies.

p.s. my MC-11 on sale in classifieds (for a limited time now ;) )

I like these a lot,youve not said what it was taken with?

A Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 MC like this...

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/minolta-mc-rokkor-11-7-55mm-review/

I don't think these are quite as good as the MD's, I think that the MD's are sharper, give more contrast, have better coatings and are just all round better but I just like the look some lenses give and I like this one. One of my other favorites is the Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 MD. I like the build of the older MC's too :D

I have too many 50mm-ish lenses so I'm not buying any more :D

I think i've completed my travel kit now...

This came yesterday :D

36288867080_af4349d310_b.jpg

Which will be added to this...

36684660555_e75408fc5b_b.jpg

Do you think i'm missing anything? :LOL:

Yes briefly. Its slower than my other canon lenses (eg: 100mm/2, 50mm/1.4). But I believe its slower to focus than these lenses even on native bodies.

p.s. my MC-11 on sale in classifieds (for a limited time now ;) )

sorted for mc11 thanks

@woof woof - do you order online from rocky cameras or is it better to call him up? can you haggle a bit? ;)

I didn't buy my latest toy from him but in the past I've ordered on line so no chance to haggle... but why not? :D As mentioned here and in other threads I don't think I'd buy anything expensive or complex from him but £15-50 for an old mechanical lens.... what could go wrong? He has a couple of nice primes at the moment and that Rokkor 58mm f1.4 for £29.99 looks very nice.

I didn't buy my latest toy from him but in the past I've ordered on line so no chance to haggle... but why not? :D As mentioned here and in other threads I don't think I'd buy anything expensive or complex from him but £15-50 for an old mechanical lens.... what could go wrong? He has a couple of nice primes at the moment and that Rokkor 58mm f1.4 for £29.99 looks very nice.

Exactly the lens I was looking to buy :D
Must get there quick but it looks a bit dusty in pictures.

Don't worry about me buying it :D It looks like a nice lens but looking at 55 and 58mm I decided to go for 55 rather than the slightly longer 58mm, but the f1.4 might be nice rather than the f1.7. The £29.99 lens isn't a great picture and I can't see too well on my screen but the description is that it's good so maybe worth a gamble... the more expensive one with the case and hood is a better picture and easier to see on my screen.

I find these MC lenses suffer flare a bit more than the MD's but flare can be a good thing :D Anyway, I'm not sure I'd pay more for a hood and a case, I normally go hoodless or just use a cheap metal RF style vented one off evil bay if I'm trying to avoid flare.

Last edited:
Just some more practice shot fun with my new old Minolta :D

Bending light...

DSC07894.jpg

DSC07895.jpg

Selecting focus point, focus on the eye and then thorn at f1.7, 100%. Focus is easy with these cameras if you have the time but I find peaking accurate especially at wide apertures.

DSC07896.jpg

DSC07897-C.jpg

DSC07890.jpg

Last edited:
Back