The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Why does it matter? The comparison on DxO shows (in lab conditions) such a tiny difference between the cameras that, even by their own description, is pretty much impossible to see with the naked eye that it's not so ridiculous for someone looking at the output to feel that one is better than the other for them.

I'm stating, "real world", because how many people actually shoot in the conditions that are used to generate the DxO graphs? This ongoing thread is part of the reason why I (personally, obviously) don't get dragged down with things like DxO scores because the arguments are ridiculous.

If the scores were night and day in favour of the D600 I would agree that the A7 clearly couldn't look better but you have to agree that they're not completely different.

All of this started because I shared a comment from a photographer who said that they felt the output of the A7 had more dynamic range in their given situation than the D600 that they were shooting alongside it. I'm not sure why people have got so worked up over that on a Sony thread?
Im with Steve here,doesnt matter if 20 other people prefered the nikon,his mate preferered the sony and thats what he posted,not that the dxo chart was wrong.Chelsea should have murdered Burnley last week on paper but got beat lol.

People aren't getting worked up over which has better sensor or DR. They are simply trying to make a point that what you say is a fact is in fact not a fact :D

Fcuk me this a7 vs d600 thing has be blown up. We like splitting hairs here don't we.

I'm guessing steves original point was that the a7 is still a very capable camera with a very decent sensor - with decent dr that his friend found, to his style, more useable. Now before we start arguing about the colour of the grass and the sky, shall we move on? Please.

@Riz_Guru the price dropping so rapidly is encouraging. £3,300 already could mean £3,000 by December. I could probably get panamoz to drop another £100 off. It's still more than I'd like to spend on a camera though. I had no issue on Saturday using the A7rii. Focus did the job, battery life was manageable, and moving to crop mode whenever I needed more reach without having to change lenses was great.
Continuous silent shooting is really appealing though.
Realistically a watered down a9 (a7iii) would probably tick most boxes for me.

Last edited:
A good friend of mine borrowed my A7 with 50/1.8 and 28-70 to test out alongside his Nikon D600 in a studio shoot he was doing yesterday. He called me last night to tell me that he's ordering an A7! He's going through the shots today but sent me over an early edit of one last night and I can see why. The dynamic range of the A7 blew away the Nikon (his words) and he ended up using it for most of the shoot.

I can't share the photo here because it's for a client but it shows how even a MK1 with the FE50/1.8 is more then capable in the right hands.
this is the original post nowhere does it say Steve said it blew away the d600
plus you don't get oil on the sensor lol

Last edited:
Why does it matter? The comparison on DxO shows (in lab conditions) such a tiny difference between the cameras that, even by their own description, is pretty much impossible to see with the naked eye that it's not so ridiculous for someone looking at the output to feel that one is better than the other for them.

I'm stating, "real world", because how many people actually shoot in the conditions that are used to generate the DxO graphs? This ongoing thread is part of the reason why I (personally, obviously) don't get dragged down with things like DxO scores because the arguments are ridiculous.

If the scores were night and day in favour of the D600 I would agree that the A7 clearly couldn't look better but you have to agree that they're not completely different.

All of this started because I shared a comment from a photographer who said that they felt the output of the A7 had more dynamic range in their given situation than the D600 that they were shooting alongside it. I'm not sure why people have got so worked up over that on a Sony thread?

If you can’t tell the difference between hearsay than fact then there is nothing to talk about.

Keep stand by your “real world” use, it is from a guy I have never met, quoted by a guy who is on the other end of the keyboard that I never met.

Tell me 1 reason, why should I trust you or your friend who are basically strangers?

All I can say is I appreciate your friend find it better, but that’s all one can say isn’t it? As I said in my first reply, this is not just photography, I will apply this to pretty much everything I read on the internet.

If you can’t tell the difference between hearsay than fact then there is nothing to talk about.

Keep stand by your “real world” use, it is from a guy I have never met, quoted by a guy who is on the other end of the keyboard that I never met.

Tell me 1 reason, why should I trust you or your friend who are basically strangers?

All I can say is I appreciate your friend find it better, but that’s all one can say isn’t it? As I said in my first reply, this is not just photography, I will apply this to pretty much everything I read on the internet.

FFS Everything that anyone posts on a forum is from a stranger! How come you haven't split hairs with others when they've given their thoughts on cameras? Was it really because I stated that a photographer thought that the Sony files were better than the Nikon files?

Feel free to read the last 2-3 pages of argument. He said it few times that it is a fact. I am not going to do your homework :p
Hence this whole debate, otherwise there'd be no discussion.
I can't be bothered loll was only referring to the very first post that started it all :sony:

We'd promised ourselves a walk out this morning and guess what.... rain, the sky is a totally featureless grey white expanse and the light is completely dead. oh well.

Let's organise a photo walk together and take pics and compare dynamic range once and for all

A walk with my 5D and G1 convinced me that mirrorless was the future. On paper the 5D should have crushed the G1 but the lowly G1 showed some advantages :D

But of course the 5D was a Canon :D

We'd promised ourselves a walk out this morning and guess what.... rain, the sky is a totally featureless grey white expanse and the light is completely dead. oh well.

Always the way! We're heading out to Chester Zoo today I think. We live 15 minutes away and are members so it's not the end of the world if the weather forces us to leave after a couple of hours.

As I'm at home again...

I've been looking at old Nikon lenses. I've never bought them before as they're so much more expensive than the Minolta, Olympus and Canon FD lenses but I keep reading how well built they are so that's got me interested. I've Googled but I can't seem to see any old Nikon v old Minolta Rokkor comparison reviews so I wondered if anyone here has ever compared old Nikon's to Rokkor's, Zuiko's or FD's?

Hi,

Cleaning my Sony A7 with a cloth I managed to slip slightly and lightly catch the sensor leaving the below mark. What is the best/easiest/cheapest way to clean this properly?

Thanks

I'll assume you're not joking and resist the urge to ask you why you were anywhere near the sensor with a cloth.

When cleaning the camera and mount area I've never had an issue and when cleaning the sensor I use a Pec Pad wrapped around a slice cut from an old credit card. The theory, which seems to work, being that I can't apply damaging pressure as the slice of credit card will just bend and there's therefore very little pressure on the sensor. I add a drop of Eclipse fluid and clean from one side to the other. I must have cleaned my various camera hundreds of times like this with no damage at all.

And as to your damage... If this is indeed a scratch/scrub mark rather than a smudge I assume the camera will need to be sent away for a new glass to be fitted and I assume this'll cost quite a bit. It may be worth carefully cleaning it with a shop bought sensor cleaning thingy or a home made thingy like I use just to be sure it's not a smudge. If it is a scratch I don't see that there's anything you can do other than live with it or send it off to be fixed.

Anyone doing anything exciting with their camera other than comparing stats?

I got a funky new keyboard with a view to setting up lots of macros to speed up workflow in LR... Then saw this Loupedeck thing and was mildly aggrieved, got a lot of wedding shots to get through and this would make processing the lot so much quicker.

I got a funky new keyboard with a view to setting up lots of macros to speed up workflow in LR... Then saw this Loupedeck thing and was mildly aggrieved, got a lot of wedding shots to get through and this would make processing the lot so much quicker.
No. I'm having a busy and quite trying time at the mo and I'm pretty tied to the house and add to that the weather and more importantly the light is pants so the camera just hasn't been used for anything other than test shots when I got my new old lens.

I hope it just needs a clean or if it's worse and a scratch I hope it's covered.

There's a couple of A6xxx cameras in the for sale section and both look like good deals so I'll have to log off for a while and hope they're sold when I come back :D

Even a scratch or a smudge is not on the actual sensor and is a easy fix for Sony or a professional with the right parts. Sensor has two to three layers of filters (UV/IR, AA, clear glass) on top before you reach the actual sensor. So you are only damaging these and not the actual sensor. These can be replaced.

Last edited:
just had an email from MPB,they can't buy my 5D because it has a scratch on the sensors thought it was a bit of hair, oh well I'm glad because I regretted it going afterwards and looking at my photos I can't see any sign apart from the
F22 in the sky and I never shoot like that so happy days :)

Hi,

Cleaning my Sony A7 with a cloth I managed to slip slightly and lightly catch the sensor leaving the below mark. What is the best/easiest/cheapest way to clean this properly?

Thanks

View attachment 109040

View attachment 109041

Hard to know for sure but it does look like just a smudge. I'd be surprised if a cloth scratched the cover over the sensor. As per the post above though, you really should leave a lens fitted when cleaning the body as you're much more likely to drop fluff/dust/hairs etc onto the sensor if you don't.

Are you keeping it as well as the Sony? :D
yes Alan,looking at some of the photos I took with it I really like it as a different beast :),be good for the cat photos and I might get a canon macro lens for it too.
but I love the little A6000 so keeping both .

B

I thought I'd do something unusual with mine.........

Ive actually used it to take some pictures whilst on holiday. In fact so far circa 600+ of them. I would upload some however the wi-fi is sh***.. ocking :)

Back