The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Folks, I know that a few of you do or have used various AF adapters on the A7rii, having picked up a Loxia trio I'm also considering adding a couple of zooms to cover off some "gaps" mainly in the 70-200/70-300 range and maybe something shorter. As much as I liked the Sony Glass when I tried it I can't really justify the cost of the 24-70 GM or 70-200 f4 given that the vast majority of my shooting is tripod based and with landscapes/city stuff I don't really have any call for super fast AF. To that end I've been looking at a couple of bits in Canon EF or Sony A Mount but I'm never sure which of the adapters is likely to be better, Canon stuff I guess is easier to get hold of and cheaper and from most accounts the Metabones or Sigma adapters seem to work pretty well, how well do the Sony LAEA3/4 work?

Folks, I know that a few of you do or have used various AF adapters on the A7rii, having picked up a Loxia trio I'm also considering adding a couple of zooms to cover off some "gaps" mainly in the 70-200/70-300 range and maybe something shorter. As much as I liked the Sony Glass when I tried it I can't really justify the cost of the 24-70 GM or 70-200 f4 given that the vast majority of my shooting is tripod based and with landscapes/city stuff I don't really have any call for super fast AF. To that end I've been looking at a couple of bits in Canon EF or Sony A Mount but I'm never sure which of the adapters is likely to be better, Canon stuff I guess is easier to get hold of and cheaper and from most accounts the Metabones or Sigma adapters seem to work pretty well, how well do the Sony LAEA3/4 work?

Metabones or mc11

If you are looking at the canon 70-200 f4 L IS, I would try the Metabones first. I tried to use one with the Sigma, but the hunting past 135mm was really bad and inconsistent. However by the time you add the cost of the Metabones to the cost of the lens, you might as well get the Sony version. You can pick them up for about £900 (used from LCE).

Okay so been pretty busy lately just finishing off some outstanding graphics projects... Anyways will be picking up the 85 GM weekend hopefully, and then I can test my Sony! Had a quick play literally just now.... & as far as im aware the yongnuo yn-600ex-rt will not do high speed sync using yongnuo transmitter or on camera... So now I'm left with 2 speedlights I'm unable to use.... Which brings me to my next question, what are you guys using as far as speedlights go??
Reccomendations? Godox? Sony? Other? Must be able to do high speed sync with reasonable ready times...

Okay so been pretty busy lately just finishing off some outstanding graphics projects... Anyways will be picking up the 85 GM weekend hopefully, and then I can test my Sony! Had a quick play literally just now.... & as far as im aware the yongnuo yn-600ex-rt will not do high speed sync using yongnuo transmitter or on camera... So now I'm left with 2 speedlights I'm unable to use.... Which brings me to my next question, what are you guys using as far as speedlights go??
Reccomendations? Godox? Sony? Other? Must be able to do high speed sync with reasonable ready times...
Godox all the way

I’m using the Nissin Air 1 with two Nissin i60A flashes.
Use Panasonic Enloop batteries for great performance, have used the Nissin PS8 power packs in the past but a little overkill for my uses.
The i60A’s are pretty powerful for their size too.

Was unable to upload the full size images, so here's a little mintage lol clearly doesn't do the images justice but heck it's too late for me t find another way haha okay so been messing around with the camera and lens & I'm impressed!! Varied the lighting conditions and it's an impressive bit of kit!! Can't wait to try out the 85mm gm!

Haha godox, thought that would be the preferred choice! Will have a look into it Tommorow properly and see which suits me. Best! Any recommendations on model?
On bright side I now have two backup flashes which the canon dslr! :)

Attachments

• 2017-10-04 23.13.33.jpg
    2017-10-04 23.13.33.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 24
Was unable to upload the full size images, so here's a little mintage lol clearly doesn't do the images justice but heck it's too late for me t find another way haha okay so been messing around with the camera and lens & I'm impressed!! Varied the lighting conditions and it's an impressive bit of kit!! Can't wait to try out the 85mm gm!

Haha godox, thought that would be the preferred choice! Will have a look into it Tommorow properly and see which suits me. Best! Any recommendations on model?
On bright side I now have two backup flashes which the canon dslr! :)

Godox tt685 s - triggered by the x1t will do HSS up to 1/8000.

Very easy to use and a really good speedlight that pushes well above its weight for the price.

I’m using the Nissin Air 1 with two Nissin i60A flashes.
Use Panasonic Enloop batteries for great performance, have used the Nissin PS8 power packs in the past but a little overkill for my uses.
The i60A’s are pretty powerful for their size too.
Oh yes, I've been looking at a few nissin too, so I'll keep those in mind too... I60a does look. Impressive.... And yeah eneloops all the way!

Godox tt685 s - triggered by the x1t will do HSS up to 1/8000.

Very easy to use and a really good speedlight that pushes well above its weight for the price.

Seems like a decent setup! Added to my list and will research it Tommorow! Could save a few bucks. Too! Brilliant!

Last edited:
If you are looking at the canon 70-200 f4 L IS, I would try the Metabones first. I tried to use one with the Sigma, but the hunting past 135mm was really bad and inconsistent. However by the time you add the cost of the Metabones to the cost of the lens, you might as well get the Sony version. You can pick them up for about £900 (used from LCE).

Thanks Chris, good to get some feedback, will be looking around, I've heard that the Tamron 70-300 with the Sony adapter is meant to be very good (was a great lens on my D800), also heard good things about the Sony A Mount 70-300 G, both are very cheap these days.

Love the look of the manual focus Zeiss Vario 100-300 but rarer than hens teeth over here it seems!!!

Been a while since i was last on here, amazed this thread is still going.

Got a baby on the way so im looking to expand my lenses. My longest being the 24-70 f4 at the minute.

Now do i get the Batis 85mm and maybe later add the 70-200f4. Or do i just get the 70-200f2.8 g master. Both options work out about the same.

Third option just the 70-200 f4, which is what im leaning towards purely because i know i will prefer the convenience of a zoom and the f2.8 is only 1 stop faster but twice the bulk.

Last edited:
The advantage of the Godox system is that the same trigger will also link to their more powerful Studio style strobes, as well as the AD-200, AD-360 and AD-600 - giving a very versatile system.
Hmmm I am planning on getting some ad600s in the near future.... Things just got more interesting... ;)

Got a baby on the way so im looking to expand my lenses. My longest being the 24-70 f4 at the minute.

Now do i get the Batis 85mm and maybe later add the 70-200f4. Or do i just get the 70-200f2.8 g master. Both options work out about the same.

Third option just the 70-200 f4, which is what im leaning towards purely because i know i will prefer the convenience of a zoom and the f2.8 is only 1 stop faster but twice the bulk.

It's a hard choice to be fair as the Batis 85mm f1.8 will give you great depth of field vs the GM but the 70-200 f2.8 GM is great also.
The 70-200mm f4 is a great lens also....

So three great lenses..... :D

If shooting indoors - which you may well be doing if you baby is coming autumn/winter time, the faster 1.8 May be handy for lower light.

It's a hard choice to be fair as the Batis 85mm f1.8 will give you great depth of field vs the GM but the 70-200 f2.8 GM is great also.
The 70-200mm f4 is a great lens also....

So three great lenses..... :D
Well that's very helpful.
I think the 70-200f4 is the sensible option in that I know it will get used the most, the other two are luxury items.
I do have a Nissan i40 for when the light dips.

Well that's very helpful.
I think the 70-200f4 is the sensible option in that I know it will get used the most, the other two are luxury items.
I do have a Nissan i40 for when the light dips.
I know, I couldn't make my mind up on which you should buy :D
The 70-200mm f4 G OSS is a very sharp lens, I took mine with me to Dubai and its had a fair bit of use at a Airshow and Tour de Yorkshire, can't fault it. :)

Is that really more powerful? I thought it was actually 1 stop less powerful as it's using a tighter beam at twice the focal length to give the same GN.
I rarely shoot with flash if I am honest, I assumed because its producing GN60 at 200mm, if you measured it at 105mm it would be more powerful.

I use the 70-200 f4, it's far lighter than the 2.8. I also got the 85mm because with the 70-200 I found it to be a fantastic combination to work with. On a full day wedding when I was shooting Nikon I'd have my 70-200 f.28 and my back would be aching by the end of it.
It's pretty sharp too!

I rarely shoot with flash if I am honest, I assumed because its producing GN60 at 200mm, if you measured it at 105mm it would be more powerful.
No, it's only quoted at 200mm because that's where it's most powerful. If you bring it back to 105mm it has to spread the same power over a wider area so will be less powerful.
Looks like the Godox wins and would certainly be my choice if I didn't have a load of Sony flashes.

No, it's only quoted at 200mm because that's where it's most powerful. If you bring it back to 105mm it has to spread the same power over a wider area so will be less powerful.
Looks like the Godox wins and would certainly be my choice if I didn't have a load of Sony flashes.
You're right, had a check and its GN50 at 105mm, still not bad given the flash size/weight. :)

Taking into consideration future strobes etc, I've decided on the Godox! Thanks to all those for the advice! :D loving this forum :)

Good move :) the new Profoto A1 looks interesting :D
Hahaha don't go throwing a wild card into the mix! Haha thankfully it's out of budget!! Buttt I must say the design and look really appeals to me! As welll as the recycle times! But anyways decision is done! :woot::woot::woot:

I use the 70-200 f4, it's far lighter than the 2.8. I also got the 85mm because with the 70-200 I found it to be a fantastic combination to work with. On a full day wedding when I was shooting Nikon I'd have my 70-200 f.28 and my back would be aching by the end of it.
It's pretty sharp too!
I have decided 70-200 f4 + the Samyang 85 f1.4 if and when.

Will test the 85mm gm Tommorow... Ordered the Godox tt685s and the x1ts, should arrive later in the week, got a dozen eneloop pros arriving Tommorow, with intelligent chargers...
Will order some speedlight modifiers, (diffusers etc) and godox octabox... Have plenty of light stands from the studio which should work... Think I should actively start looking to second shoot some weddings for portfolio!

Also who here is using one capture?
Currently a Lightroom user, how does it compare when using Sony raw?
(also thinking of upgrading my PC / macbook...)

Back