The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Okay so ive seen some godox hectabox , probably go for the 80cm ,
the flash hasn't arrived yet, so what i want to ask is,
how would one connect the speedlight to the hectabox?

would the octabox come with the clamp?

Would need to check but some will show a Bowen’s Mount which wouldn’t fit the speedlight. I’ve got a smaller one which is specifically for a speedlight.

Otherwise you will probably need to buy a mount clamp for the flash. Think these are cheap on amazon

Would need to check but some will show a Bowen’s Mount which wouldn’t fit the speedlight. I’ve got a smaller one which is specifically for a speedlight.

Otherwise you will probably need to buy a mount clamp for the flash. Think these are cheap on amazon

Yeah the specific one will probably be needed I reckon, the link isn't working jonathon, mind sending it again?

Flash I got

I got the Godox tt685s and the octabox I was looking at is the 80cm godox. Will check later when I'm at a laptop and the purchase.

Had a look on amazon and I think it’s the same as one of mine if it’s the speed light one.

Ohhh okay well I guess Ill get it and if it needs a mount clamp I'll get one too... Also going to try out capture one... Lot of people reckon it works really well with Sony raw files...
Had a look on amazon and I think it’s the same as one of mine if it’s the speed light one.

Because he likes fiddling with knobs innit ;) :D

You're like a reformed smoker (forgetting that you've been there..) You seem to forget that you probably spent more single-handed on Sony gear than anyone else here then sold it all on when you decided you didn't need it and moved to Fuji and proclaimed it as the best system ever. 10 minutes later you moved it all on and bought all of the Sony kit again ;)

I know you're only winding Jonathan up but pot and kettle :)

You're like a reformed smoker (forgetting that you've been there..) You seem to forget that you probably spent more single-handed on Sony gear than anyone else here then sold it all on when you decided you didn't need it and moved to Fuji and proclaimed it as the best system ever. 10 minutes later you moved it all on and bought all of the Sony kit again ;)

I know you're only winding Jonathan up but pot and kettle :)

I haven't forgotten but its never a cheap game to get into and changing systems all the time does cost in the long-run, I was lucky to get away with around a £500 loss when selling my Fuji gear :eek:
I believe I am in the minority when it comes to the amount of camera's people have bought/changed over the years, so you could say I am making up for lost ground lol :D
11 camera's in total.......

Kodak EasyShare 3200
Nikon D40
Fuji X100
Nikon D7000
Sony A7
Sony A7 II
Sony A7R II
Sony A7R II
Fuji XT-2
Sony A9
Sony RX100 III

I haven't forgotten but its never a cheap game to get into and changing systems all the time does cost in the long-run, I was lucky to get away with around a £500 loss when selling my Fuji gear :eek:
I believe I am in the minority when it comes to the amount of camera's people have bought/changed over the years, so you could say I am making up for lost ground lol :D
11 camera's in total.......

Kodak EasyShare 3200
Nikon D40
Fuji X100
Nikon D7000
Sony A7
Sony A7 II
Sony A7R II
Sony A7R II
Fuji XT-2
Sony A9
Sony RX100 III

To be fair, 7 of those were over the last 2 years though :p

Then he should have gotten an a9. Has as much nobs as a fuji!

not quite. the a9 nobs are a bit of a faff.

i bought some fuji gear and some canon gear. wanted to keep a full frame set up and have never actually owned a canon camera so thought id start with a 6d, see how that went and then consider a 5d4 or 5dsr if i really liked it.

took the fuji stuff on holiday and loved using it as i always do. used 85mm1.2. with the 6d and loving the results while enjoying playing with a dslr again. the 11 focus points did feel very limiting though and getting used to an optical viewfinder again took a bit of time. so quite quickly came to the conclusion that i wanted to keep the lens but not the 6d. so the full frame options were 5d4, d5sr or back to sony and use the lens adapted (which I've done before with mixed results).

i tried the 5dsr and played with the raw files at home. the iso performance was nowhere need where id like it to be. but loved the ergonomics of the camera. it really did feel well balanced in the hand. so the 5d4 seemed a good choice, but i don't agree with its price tag.

so its either an a7ii or a7rii. i sold mine a7rii for a good price and will actually be able to buy a new one for less - so I'm not too worried about that. just need to get a wriggle on as i have a paid shoot to do on saturday.

so its either an a7ii or a7rii. i sold mine a7rii for a good price and will actually be able to buy a new one for less - so I'm not too worried about that. just need to get a wriggle on as i have a paid shoot to do on saturday.
A few options...

Sony A7R II and A7 II are both good options but the Sony A7 III is due to be announced within the next couple of months too.
Perhaps pickup a used A7 II and make do until then?

Or sell everything including a kidney for the Sony A9 :D

A few options...

Sony A7R II and A7 II are both good options but the Sony A7 III is due to be announced within the next couple of months too.
Perhaps pickup a used A7 II and make do until then?

Or sell everything including a kidney for the Sony A9 :D

yeah the a7iii is certainly in my thoughts. though that would be a nice partner to the a7rii. and the a7rii would work better with the canon lens adapted.
the a9 is just over 3k on the grey market but its still more than i would pay for a body and i still don't need what it offers.

Yes, very good price...... Sigma must now be thinking they left it too late to join the FE party.
But when Sigma do arrive, Art lenses have great potential for the FE system and might attract even more new customers from DSLR's etc.
Haha precisely!

yeah the a7iii is certainly in my thoughts. though that would be a nice partner to the a7rii. and the a7rii would work better with the canon lens adapted.
the a9 is just over 3k on the grey market but its still more than i would pay for a body and i still don't need what it offers.

I wouldn't bother with the A7R II unless you specifically need the high resolution it offers, you could save the money, get a used A7II to get by for now.
I have a feeling that once you get used to the speed advantages of the Sony A9/A7III, the A7R II may not get used that much.
That's why for sheer speed/responsiveness and AF-tracking I moved to the Fuji XT-2 from the Sony A7R II.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with the A7R II unless you specifically need the high resolution it offers, you could save the money, get a A7II to get by.
I have a feeling that once you get used to the speed advantages of the Sony A9/A7III, the A7R II may not get used that much.

this is true. although i do regularly use the crop feature of the a7rii -which simply won't be useful on the lower res bodies.

A9 for me is almost perfect camera. Just lacking resolution for excessive cropping. It's by far a superior camera to any of the A7's.

Tbh if you sold all your fuji and current Sony camera and just bye a A9. The price would be similar.

All your cameras combined surely is same price as an a9?

A9 for me is almost perfect camera. Just lacking resolution for excessive cropping. It's by far a superior camera to any of the A7's.

Tbh if you sold all your fuji and current Sony camera and just bye a A9. The price would be similar.

He has a point ;) @addicknchips
The Sony A9 is a proper beast and not just because of its 20fps.

Nice idea but surely having one very expensive body is more of risk than having two slightly cheaper but equally capable bodies when shooting pro weddings/portraits as Jonathan does.

this is true. although i do regularly use the crop feature of the a7rii -which simply won't be useful on the lower res bodies.

Why crop? Just get the Sony A9/A7III and a A6500 for the Cropped Shots? :D
The best of both worlds, gives you the added protection of a backup body albeit APS-C.

Nice idea but surely having one very expensive body is more of risk than having two slightly cheaper but equally capable bodies when shooting pro weddings/portraits as Jonathan does.
True but he should be using two Sony or two fuji. Not mix and match for pro work.

He could just rent another A9 for when he does pro work.

I doubt he travels with two cameras for everything else outside weddings and portraits so his second body won't get much use outside of pro work.

Back