The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

True but he should be using two Sony or two fuji. Not mix and match for pro work.

He could just rent another A9 for when he does pro work.

I doubt he travels with two cameras for everything else outside weddings and portraits so his second body won't get much use outside of pro work.

There's not really a problem with mixing brands so long as you're happy with using them both. The last few weddings I shot were with a D750 for the main work and an A6000/70-200/50 for everything else. I shot both in RAW so could colour-match the outputs.

Nice idea but surely having one very expensive body is more of risk than having two slightly cheaper but equally capable bodies when shooting pro weddings/portraits as Jonathan does.
I depends on the individual but surely the Sony A9 has the added advantage of having dual-SD card slots whereas the A7 series does not.
It's not a requirement or must have to run two bodies at the sametime during weddings, you could have a cheaper backup body in the car ready for action if required.
However risk has to be thought about and planned for, one could argue you need 2x of every lens in case on lens fails etc, where does it end?

I depends on the individual but surely the Sony A9 has the added advantage of having dual-SD card slots whereas the A7 series does not.
It's not a requirement or must have to run two bodies at the sametime during weddings, you could have a cheaper backup body in the car ready for action if required.
However risk has to be thought about and planned for, one could argue you need 2x of every lens in case on lens fails etc, where does it end?

Dual card slots are nice but what about if your AF unit fails or the EVF etc? Personally, I used two bodies so I could have two different focal lengths available side by side rather than failure redundancy. I agree that there's only so far you would/should take redundancy and wouldn't personally carry two copies of the same lens etc.

Not if it doesn't deliver the results you want? Jonathan has already said that the lower res bodies aren't up to his requirement for shooting in crop mode (the A9 is still 'only' 24mp) and he's also not shooting fast sports so why invest £3k on a body that's sold on it's fast AF?
It's not just sold as a sports camera. It's far more than that.

Wedding toggers are raving about this camera.

Dual card slots are nice but what about if your AF unit fails or the EVF etc? Personally, I used two bodies so I could have two different focal lengths available side by side rather than failure redundancy. I agree that there's only so far you would/should take redundancy and wouldn't personally carry two copies of the same lens etc.
I agree, I used to use 2x Sony A7RII's, one running the Batis 25mm and the other the Batis 85mm.
But then I moved onto the GM zoom's lens and that's my preferred option now.
Keep one body around my neck and a cheaper backup body in case my main one failed.... maybe even the A6500 as you don't need FF to product photo's good enough for most clients.

Last edited:
Again he can just rent another A9 for the day or another camera of his choice. If he only uses second body for pro work and only does pro work part time then my advice would be to rent a second body for the handful of times he does pro work..

Of course if he does it full time then owning a second body makes sense

I agree that the A9 is a very good all rounder but for a wedding/portraits I don't see why an A7 range body/bodies couldn't be used as well? The actual output is equally good and in most situations there just isn't a need for 20fps shooting weddings/portraits.

Again he can just rent another A9 for the day or another camera of his choice. If he only uses second body for pro work and only does pro work part time then my advice would be to rent a second body for the handful of times he does pro work..

Of course if he does it full time then owning a second body makes sense

Genuine question, since owning the A9, how many times have you shot portaits and captured a shot that wouldn't have been possible with your A7Rii or 5D?

I agree that the A9 is a very good all rounder but for a wedding/portraits I don't see why an A7 range body/bodies couldn't be used as well? The actual output is equally good and in most situations there just isn't a need for 20fps shooting weddings/portraits.
It's not just about fps. The handling. Battery life. Dual card slot. Joystick. Eye focus and af are far superior then any a7 camera.

As i said. The camera is more then a sports camera and has improved on everything from existing a7 Lines by a long shot.

The DR doesn't need improving because it's world class already

Genuine question, since owning the A9, how many times have you shot portaits and captured a shot that wouldn't have been possible with your A7Rii or 5D?
Most of the time. I've been to a few sports events and done a few portraits on the A9.

Only time when A9 may not have been needed is when I did some travelling as I shot in mechanical mode mostly landscape and cityscape which I will point out does an equal great job as the a7r2.

The cropping ability on this measly 24mp is actually amazing.

Everything is possible even with a smartphone so the question you should ask is does an a9 offer improvements over another camera?

Yes it does. Only the resolution it doesn't

Yes, that's because Sony has marketed the Sony A9 towards the professional sports segment because of its AF system, doing so has given some the impression that its only good for that single task. :D

Yes, that's because Sony has marketed the Sony A9 towards the professional sports segment because of its AF system, doing so has given some the impression that its only good for that single task. :D
Yea this ain't a 1dx2 or d5 that has some disadvantages of using it for portraits and travel

don't get me wrong the a9 fixes a lot of issues. joystick, 2 card slots, great af, and high fps. while i have some money to play with its not a limitless budget.
using the a7rii with an 85mm allows me to very quickly select crop mode when i want a little more reach. I've found this so so useful. considering I'm using primes this really helps in the ceremony. yes i'd like the 70-200 but this a considerable investment also.

as for 2 of everything -i think common sense needs to be used. if you have a bag of lenses if one breaks you can probably make do and keep shooting with what you have. if the camera breaks and you don't have another one its game over.

sony can't market 1 camera does it all. a9 was aimed at action sports as it was a gap in their system that needed filling. its a camera i'd love, but at the moment id rather spend the difference on glass

To be fair the Sony A7R II is a great body if you need the resolution, in the right hands its focusing isn't a big problem however in the grand scheme of things (resolution aside), its far easier to get the results with the Sony A9.
But it comes a a very heavy price.... £2499 vs £4499, its down to the individual to make that dredded choice it its worth it or not. :)

Last edited:
Most of the time. I've been to a few sports events and done a few portraits on the A9.

Only time when A9 may not have been needed is when I did some travelling as I shot in mechanical mode mostly landscape and cityscape which I will point out does an equal great job as the a7r2.

The cropping ability on this measly 24mp is actually amazing.

Everything is possible even with a smartphone so the question you should ask is does an a9 offer improvements over another camera?

Yes it does. Only the resolution it doesn't

I'm not suggesting that the 24mp isn't decent (I use an A7) but Jonathan has already said that for him, he'd like the higher resolution of the Rii for cropping which is a fair comment. I'm also not denying that the A9 isn't an excellent camera but for someone earning a living from their kit as a business, the question of budget has to be factored in otherwise that's a pretty poor business plan. If you've got sell all of your current kit to buy one camera for at least £3k it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
sony can't market 1 camera does it all. a9 was aimed at action sports as it was a gap in their system that needed filling. its a camera i'd love, but at the moment id rather spend the difference on glass
Your right, bodies come and go... the lenses will remain :)
Roll on Sony A9 II :D

I'm not suggesting that the 24mp isn't decent (I use an A7) but Jonathan has already said that for him, he'd like the higher resolution of the Rii for cropping which is a fair comment. I'm also not agreeing that the A9 isn't an excellent camera but for someone earning a living from their kit as a business, the question of budget has to be factored in otherwise that's a pretty poor business plan. If you've got sell all of your current kit to buy one camera for at least £3k it doesn't make sense.
Maybe wait till A9R comes out. That won't be cheap though lol.

Anyways I'm not sure it's great to have two systems for pro work. Better to have one system and two cameras. So that ergonomics and colour science are the same.

Less time editing trying to make fuji colours look like Sony

I'm not suggesting that the 24mp isn't decent (I use an A7) but Jonathan has already said that for him, he'd like the higher resolution of the Rii for cropping which is a fair comment. I'm also not agreeing that the A9 isn't an excellent camera but for someone earning a living from their kit as a business, the question of budget has to be factored in otherwise that's a pretty poor business plan. If you've got sell all of your current kit to buy one camera for at least £3k it doesn't make sense.
I agree :)

Anyways I'm not sure it's great to have two systems for pro work. Better to have one system and two cameras. So that ergonomics and colour science are the same.

I agree that having a single system makes life easier but its not the end of the world if using differing systems, just means a little more work in post.
I am buying a DSLR next :eek: :D lol

...or buy an A7Rii now and just go and use it instead of chasing the next body? :0)

Using two bodies from the same system is definitely the better option overall but my point was that it's not a requirement.

Lol we sound like a right bunch of nerds..... hahahah :D
Body this body that, good and bad, AF this and that..... to be honest most modern camera's get you excellent results, its only that upper few % we are now arguing over.

Last edited:
Apparently there is a talk of a Fuji price increase coming this month.

Fuji XT-20 -£849
Fuji XT-2 - £1699
Fuji XT-2 with 18-55 - £1899

Wonder if Sony will increase too..... may push prices up.. I guess....

Sony A7R II £2999
Sony A9 £4999

not quite. the a9 nobs are a bit of a faff.

i bought some fuji gear and some canon gear. wanted to keep a full frame set up and have never actually owned a canon camera so thought id start with a 6d, see how that went and then consider a 5d4 or 5dsr if i really liked it.

took the fuji stuff on holiday and loved using it as i always do. used 85mm1.2. with the 6d and loving the results while enjoying playing with a dslr again. the 11 focus points did feel very limiting though and getting used to an optical viewfinder again took a bit of time. so quite quickly came to the conclusion that i wanted to keep the lens but not the 6d. so the full frame options were 5d4, d5sr or back to sony and use the lens adapted (which I've done before with mixed results).

i tried the 5dsr and played with the raw files at home. the iso performance was nowhere need where id like it to be. but loved the ergonomics of the camera. it really did feel well balanced in the hand. so the 5d4 seemed a good choice, but i don't agree with its price tag.

so its either an a7ii or a7rii. i sold mine a7rii for a good price and will actually be able to buy a new one for less - so I'm not too worried about that. just need to get a wriggle on as i have a paid shoot to do on saturday.

A7rii, no reason to get an a7ii (imo) if you have the choice.

I got my Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 yesterday... I'm a bit busy so I haven't taken too many pictures but so far... What A Lens! Take with a pinch of salt anything negative you've read about it.

PS.
I've listed a few Zuiko lenses and a Novoflex FD adapter for sale if anyone is interested. My FD lenses are sold.

I got my Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 yesterday... I'm a bit busy so I haven't taken too many pictures but so far... What A Lens! Take with a pinch of salt anything negative you've read about it.

PS.
I've listed a few Zuiko lenses and a Novoflex FD adapter for sale if anyone is interested. My FD lenses are sold.
Pricey that lens?

I haven't forgotten but its never a cheap game to get into and changing systems all the time does cost in the long-run, I was lucky to get away with around a £500 loss when selling my Fuji gear :eek:
I believe I am in the minority when it comes to the amount of camera's people have bought/changed over the years, so you could say I am making up for lost ground lol :D
11 camera's in total.......

Kodak EasyShare 3200
Nikon D40
Fuji X100
Nikon D7000
Sony A7
Sony A7 II
Sony A7R II
Sony A7R II
Fuji XT-2
Sony A9
Sony RX100 III

Is that all lol.you beat me by miles on the pounds but not the cameras lol

Is it just me or is the original charger that comes with the a7rii really slow?? Would be interesting to know what others are using? Hmm might get a 3rd party charger that you use a USB plug, so I can also use portable power packs if I need to.

Is it just me or is the original charger that comes with the a7rii really slow?? Would be interesting to know what others are using? Hmm might get a 3rd party charger that you use a USB plug, so I can also use portable power packs if I need to.

A USB charger will be slower than the original one (assuming the original is mains powered?) because USB will only output 500mah.

If you plug the camera itself in it charges quicker. I usually charge 1 battery in the camera and 1 in the charger when I’m away

Back