The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Reviews I’ve read have all been positive but I don’t know anyone who has used one.

I used to like good lenses but more recently I've tended to care less about excellence and more about how the picture looks. I'm raving about the Voigtlander 40mm at the mo but there's still something to be said for the look the old Rokkors can give.

One thing that strikes me with the 55mm f1.8 is that it's excellent... sharp across the frame and all that... and there are times when I want that but there are also times when I want something different.

The Samyang will maybe need to be going some to be better than the 55mm but maybe they'll be different beasts?

I’m still thinking about getting the Zeiss 55mm f1.8 :eek: it’s sooo good.
It’s small too.

For the best charging option use the Sony BC-TRW charger which can be bought separately with or without a extra battery, about £75 approx.
You can also charge via USB dongle which comes with the A7R II, I have used the Anker PowerCore 20000 Power Banks with quick charge technology and they work very well in that they seem to supply quicker than a conventional USB port.
Charging via the included USB done or off a USB port will probably be the slowest and worst option.
Or just buy an a9 and reap the benefits of the new battery :)

Just hawk out all those old pound coins. They have to be used before next week anyway. Might as well round them all up and buy an A9... or a Voigtlander 65mm f2.

guys has anyone experienced any odd behaviour when shooting with the electronic shutter? other than banding? i had a shot last month where the persons hand has disappeared.
only happened once.

Last edited:
guys has anyone experienced any odd behaviour when shooting with the electronic shutter? other than banding? i had a shot last month where the persons hand has disappeared.
only happened once.
The only big issues I've had with the Sony A7R II are as follows:-

Banding during normal fluorescent lighting.
A rare AF problem which caused the body to go into limbo, lens was trying to focus but the body wouldn't lock on. It went back and forwards quickly.
Apart from that it was a pretty reliable body.

only happened once.

That will be a rolling shutter effect, although the exposure time will be short on the camera, that's effectively the time that each row of pixels is exposed on the sensor, as the ES will be a rolling shutter,

so if your SS is 1/4000th, it usually takes say 1/60th to complete the full pass, though as I said before each pixel row will only be exposed for 1/4000, so the exposure of the final picture will be correct but any movement from you or the subject can cause these missing effects.

only happened once.
I use the electronic shutter a lot with my Panasonic GX7 and the only things I've ever seen are banding and possibly rolling shutter too, but banding is the main thing. I've never noticed anything disappearing but just as with banding could this be related to how the electronic shutter works?

PS.
Typed as David was replying... and doing so better :D

That will be a rolling shutter effect, although the exposure time will be short on the camera, that's effectively the time that each row of pixels is exposed on the sensor, as the ES will be a rolling shutter,

so if your SS is 1/4000th, it usually takes say 1/60th to complete the full pass, though as I said before each pixel row will only be exposed for 1/4000, so the exposure of the final picture will be correct but any movement from you or the subject can cause these missing effects.

super, thanks David. i had only thought rolling shutter gives the wobbly effect so interesting to learn this. thank you.

jury is still out on the samyang as so far I've only been able to fire a few shots off on it. wide open i don't think its as fast as the 55mm - but that may be due to shooting at f1.4
the noise when focusing is noticeable but quieter than the gmaster.

crop-1 by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

Heavier glass to move. I'd bet the 85 gm is also slower to AF.

Heavier glass to move. I'd bet the 85 gm is also slower to AF.

Yup, the 85mm 1.4 GM is slower to AF compared to say the Batis 85mm f1.8.
The price you pay for fast & heavy glass.

More mundane stuff...

There's a bloke on DPR reckons the Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 is sharper than the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2. I like my Rokkors and I like the 55mm f1.7 so much so that I'm on my second after stupidly giving the first away but I mostly live in the real world and whilst the Rokkors give a nice look and the 55mm f1.7 does have its own look they're rather funky wide open. So dream on buddy :D

Tamron….it is with a very heavy heart that tamron have now ceased all future A mount lens development

A mount :hungover:

How long has a mount been going? I guess sigma will follow suit as I don’t think some of the recent glass has been available for a mount

How long has a mount been going? I guess sigma will follow suit as I don’t think some of the recent glass has been available for a mount

A mount is minolta AF so quite a while. Sony have been stringing A mount users on for a while now. They should've just put the a9 guts in the a99ii and offer 2 body types and made a long prime.

Last edited:
I believe a-mount had been going since 1985. So 30+ years. Almost all a-mount lenses are AF lenses too.

Okay newbie Sony owner here, I have been a Nikon user for many years and still have some kit... at the moment.
Today despite the miserable weather conditions I popped into Richmond Park... grey sky, low light levels and new kit (Sony A9 + 100-400mm)
First impressions are very good with most pictures taken between 160/s and 200/s handheld, pretty high keeper rate as well. I intended to use a tripod but it wasn't in the boot.
Slightly cropped images but these were all taken in jpeg fine.. I'm thinking the camera will be a keeper.

DSC00657-1025.jpg

DSC00833-1025.jpg

DSC01001-800.jpg

Okay newbie Sony owner here, I have been a Nikon user for many years and still have some kit... at the moment.
Today despite the miserable weather conditions I popped into Richmond Park... grey sky, low light levels and new kit (Sony A9 + 100-400mm)
First impressions are very good with most pictures taken between 160/s and 200/s handheld, pretty high keeper rate as well. I intended to use a tripod but it wasn't in the boot.
Slightly cropped images but these were all taken in jpeg fine.. I'm thinking the camera will be a keeper.

DSC00657-1025.jpg

DSC00833-1025.jpg

DSC01001-800.jpg

Nice set of shots there.

DSC00657-1025.jpg

DSC00833-1025.jpg

DSC01001-800.jpg
Welcome buddy ! Nice shots!

DSC00657-1025.jpg

DSC00833-1025.jpg

DSC01001-800.jpg

Welcome to the club :)
Are you missing anything from the Nikon body? :)

Picked up another 24-70 this week, but wasn't forking out £1900 for the GM.

£130 for an LaEA3 adapter and £450 for a used A Mount Tamron 24-70 f2.8, works brilliantly, excellent IQ and the same size and weight as the Sony, £1200 saved.....(to spend on more glass!!!)

Back