The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00IIOZQKY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508245049&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Speedlight+mount&dpPl=1&dpID=41OQv+1itPL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Been searching for a mount, to mount my godox tt685s on, apparently most universal ones state canon and nikon only.... Not sure which I need, any help would be appreciated, the attached listing has multiple types, type b, type c, type e etc... not sure which type I need?

i think the one i have is Type B

Lol how is this so difficult?
:runaway::runaway::runaway::sulk::sulk::sulk:
So apparently B type mount aren't compatible with Sony... Lol so which do I need?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-10-17-14-50-53.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-17-14-50-53.png
    213.1 KB · Views: 12
Lol how is this so difficult?
:runaway::runaway::runaway::sulk::sulk::sulk:
So apparently B type mount aren't compatible with Sony... Lol so which do I need?

That comment is talking about the older Minolta standard that Sony retained for their earlier A mount systems. As above, all current mirrorless bodies use the same industry standard hotshoe design (in shape, if not contacts) so it will fit.

That comment is talking about the older Minolta standard that Sony retained for their earlier A mount systems. As above, all current mirrorless bodies use the same industry standard hotshoe design (in shape, if not contacts) so it will fit.

:O that makes soooo much more sense Steve! Thank you! :D Come to think of it, before the studio I did have some speedlight mounts.... Will have to dig them out also!

I've found the MI foot to be slightly wider than 'standard' and only the clamp-style shoes will work.

So this should be arriving shortly for use with my A7 (and also my OM-1 and OM-2) - an Olympus OM 35mm PC Shift lens

View attachment 111703

Given that I shoot a lot of architectural subjects, I've been toying with the idea of a shift lens for years, but I've been making do with software solutions. Modern hi-res sensors let you get away with a lot.

One nice feature of the Olympus is that it allows you to easily shift both vertically and horizontally. I'm not so bothered by tilt functions.

Ffordes had one available at a decent price, though, so I pulled the trigger over the weekend. I'm guessing it's either something that I will either be using constantly or not at all; I'm about to find out which :)

Well, after a couple of weeks it has proven be be more 'using constantly' than not at all, which is a good thing. Here's a few thoughts...

I am enjoying hugely the compositional freedom with a shift lens allows; I would probably not have attempted this shot without it.

Triangle Estate
by Rob Telford, on Flickr

In a similar vein - I'm used to having to pre-visualise where the verticals will fall if I correct, but now I can just dial in some shift and see it in camera. I was pretty good with my guesses before, but this is far more accurate.

Triangle Estate

Rosebery Avenue

The Olympus' trick of shifting along two axes at once has proven useful - it allowed me to line up the boat and the columns below much better than I could have otherwise, and still retain the vertical correction.

Cascadas No. 3

The A7's viewfinder 'spirit level' indicators, especially the forward/back tilt guide, have been invaluable when shooting without a tripod. Mirrorless scores hugely over a conventional SLR in this respect.

The downsides are having to stop down further than I normally would to keep image quality across the frame when shifted - f/11 and f/8 are my friends now and I won't be using it in low light without some support, but that goes with the territory.

As it doesn't have an auto-aperture mechanism, I've also discovered that it's too easy to knock the diaphragm button while shooting, which changes from stopped down to wide open. In my first few days with the lens, I came back with a bunch of photos inadvertently taken at f/2.8. Things get very messy in the corners when it's not stopped down to f/5.6 at least. I've learned to check before firing the shutter.

Sharpness probably isn't as good as many of my other primes, but it's good enough for 24 Mpx and I get back a lot of pixels from not having to correct perspective.

Overall, though, it's a definite win with this lens B)

Baker's Row

The Mall

Last edited:
Surely it has to be a decent FE announcement this time as there isn’t much of 2017 left.
Looking forward to the A7 III and GM lenses :D

I predict if it's not this big event I'll predict it's the next and if not that then the next.......... daaaamn I should start a rumour site.

As we may/probably/might have a new A7 or A9 camera sometime when did you get yours?

I was an early adopter and I ordered my A7 before they hit the shops. I can't remember exactly when I got it but I think it was late November 2013. I got the kit lens which I still haven't used outside of the house and garden and I mostly used my old lenses. I think the first shots I took about the house and garden were with the kit lens but the first lenses I used out and about were my Olympus Zuiko's.

This was one of my first pictures, 4th December 2013, A7 and Zuiko 50mm f1.8, 1/200 sec, ISO 3200. Toby, sadly no longer with us.

DSC00653.JPG

I remember using the 28mm f2.8 a lot. This was 18th December 2013.

DSC00831.JPG

I added the Sony 55mm f1.8 and 35mm f2.8 later but I think that my most used lenses have been my Minolta Rokkors.

I think this was the first picture I took outside the house on 29th November 2013. I've no idea what lens it was, maybe a Zuiko.

DSC00371.jpg

Last edited:
Folks, anyone using the 28mm? I've returned the Tamron 24-70, AF performance on the LAEA3 was mixed, great sometimes but just dire at others, didn't seem to be much consistency.
Think I'll save my pennies for another 24-70 GM but in the meantime looking to fill the gap between my Loxia 21/50 pairing - would have another Loxia 35 but would prefer to have at least one AF lens, 35mm f2.8 is an option as I know its hotly rated by many and in most reviews isn't that different to the Loxia, but I know some used the 28mm previous and wondered if its as good as the hype?

Folks, anyone using the 28mm? I've returned the Tamron 24-70, AF performance on the LAEA3 was mixed, great sometimes but just dire at others, didn't seem to be much consistency.
Think I'll save my pennies for another 24-70 GM but in the meantime looking to fill the gap between my Loxia 21/50 pairing - would have another Loxia 35 but would prefer to have at least one AF lens, 35mm f2.8 is an option as I know its hotly rated by many and in most reviews isn't that different to the Loxia, but I know some used the 28mm previous and wondered if its as good as the hype?

£150 cash back on the FE 24-70mm GM at the moment :D ;)
I think I am all G Mastered out now..... not sure I need the 135mm f1.8 GM considering the 70-200mm f2.8 GM is good enough... will see though .... :D

Last edited:
£150 cash back on the FE 24-70mm GM at the moment :D ;)
I think I am all G Mastered out now..... not sure I need the 135mm f1.8 GM considering the 70-200mm f2.8 GM is good enough... will see though .... :D

Haha, I did see that but its still a hunk of cash, maybe as a Christmas Bonus to myself, thinking to my Winter Trip (yet to be booked) just want to take the 21/50 and maybe an AF in the middle!

I had it and think it’s very good value for money. Small, light and sharp.

Didn’t use it for landscape though, so not sure about corner to corner sharpness.

Chris, are you still using the Sigma 35mm? How are you finding it on the A7rii?

Yes I still use it, I love the focal length and the fact it is f1.4 is an added bonus. It isn’t the smallest lens once you add the MC11 but not that much larger than the FE 35mm f1.4. Overall I think it will be staying, At the moment my general set up is the 35mm, 55mm & 85mm, I’m a little undecided on the 16-35mm f4, although it is a great lens, both with IQ and overall size, I still prefer the Sigma for 35mm and aperture.

Yes I still use it, I love the focal length and the fact it is f1.4 is an added bonus. It isn’t the smallest lens once you add the MC11 but not that much larger than the FE 35mm f1.4. Overall I think it will be staying, At the moment my general set up is the 35mm, 55mm & 85mm, I’m a little undecided on the 16-35mm f4, although it is a great lens, both with IQ and overall size, I still prefer the Sigma for 35mm and aperture.

It's a ridiculously good lens for the money imo. Nothing I've used on m/any systems comes close.

Back