The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I wish Sigma would release some fe stuff. The ART performs very well adapted, even in pitch black but it' frustrating sigma is only selling apsc stuff for emount.
All in good time my friend.... my guess is we'll see the following in 2018.

Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art
Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art
Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art

:D

I wish Sigma would release some fe stuff. The ART performs very well adapted, even in pitch black but it's frustrating sigma is only selling apsc stuff for emount, doesn't make much sense.

There are quite a selection of (higher end) FE lenses available from Sony - the 'gap' in the e-mount line-up is on the APS-C side, where there must be a fair number of people who've got A6xxx bodies, and want to expand their lens collection - I can see why Sigma are targeting it (and wish Sony would as well!)

There are quite a selection of (higher end) FE lenses available from Sony - the 'gap' in the e-mount line-up is on the APS-C side, where there must be a fair number of people who've got A6xxx bodies, and want to expand their lens collection - I can see why Sigma are targeting it (and wish Sony would as well!)

Sure, but there aren't many affordable high end lenses in FE and it's an opportunity for sigma to make big sales unless Sonys blocking that.

Sigma is developing apsc faster than sony.

Sure, but there aren't many affordable high end lenses in FE and it's an opportunity for sigma to make big sales unless Sonys blocking that.

Sigma is developing apsc faster than sony.

I agree - but Sigma have, with their newer lens releases, been trying to offer high end lenses that are comparable (or better) then the OEM versions.
The Sony G Masters, etc, set the bar reasonably high for this, so it's much easier for Sigma to compete in the APS-C sector, where they can offer smaller, lighter and cheaper options, with little competition.

While Sigma are undoubtedly able to make very high quality lenses, if they were FE they would be competing against the G Masters - which will have he advantage that buyers know the Sony's will offer full compatibility.

Hopefully Sigma will do both FE and APS-C lenses, as it will increase choice and help keep prices down a bit, but what we have is a start :)

All in good time my friend.... my guess is we'll see the following in 2018.

Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art
Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art
Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art

Think sigma would need a redesign of that 85mm art lens. Would look rediculous on mirrorless, it’s an absolute BEAST

A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 pictures from today.

f2.

1-DSC08545-f2.jpg

100% crop from that.

1-100-160-f2.jpg

The Mrs at f5.

DSC08533-f5.jpg

Tree at f5 :D

DSC08538-f5.jpg

More :D

33% crop at f5.

33-100-f5.jpg

75% crop at f2.8.

75-100-f2.8.jpg

75% crop at ISO 5,000 and f2.8.

75-5000-f2.8.jpg

100% crop at ISO 1,600 and f5.

100-1600-f5.jpg

Last edited:
I would be actually... bought the Loxia 21 as generally the older wide lenses don't have a great reputation and I've had it before and was blown away.
I did consider buying a Canon FD 35 f2 but again having used the Loxia 35 and the price I paid for it made it a no brainer really.
I would be interested in legacy longer length stuff though if you had any reconsiderations!

I'm not averse to a Loxia 50 but wondered if there might be a good legacy option in the 55-70 range?

I've not had a 58mm but I do have a Rokkor 55mm MC that I like for its character and build. Longer than that pretty much any 85mm seems pretty good. I have an excellent FD 85mm f1.8 breechlock that I'd happily recommend. It's possibly no better or worse than the other mass market legacy 85's but it's certainly memorable for its build, it's built like a tank, and there's always the Voigtlander 60mm f2 :D

One thing I like about electronic communication is being able to see the aperture in the EVF and not having to count the clicks.

Last edited:
I had a weird problem with my pictures today... When I loaded them onto my PC (I plug the camera into my pc) I noticed that only files with even numbers had been copied so I tried again and it copied a few with odd numbers but still some were missing. A third try got all but one file and after one more try all were present. How very odd.

This has never happened before but I assume the fix is to buy an A7RIII? :D

Only kidding :D I'll format the card and see if it happens again.

PS.
I'm excited about my cheapo 19mm, it's coming Thursday or Friday :D

Last edited:
Double post.

Have a picture instead, the walled garden at our local Stewart Park, Ormesby. I love this place :D

A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 at f4.5.

DSC08523.jpg

100% crop, just to make sure it's sharp :D

1-DSC08523.jpg

Last edited:
So, how does the A7ii compare to a D750? Thinking about a switch to Sony, will be using with smaller primes and for family, kids, travel shots.

So, how does the A7ii compare to a D750? Thinking about a switch to Sony, will be using with smaller primes and for family, kids, travel shots.

Maybe you've already found your way to this site...

http://camerasize.com/compact/#579.394,567,ha,b

Having had dinky SLR's and then the big fat bloated DLRS's that replaced them and now being mirrorless and pretty much back to SLR bulk and weight I'm never going back to oversized and overweight DSLR's. The size and weight and in your face look at the geek with the cameraness of DSLR's was what turned me to mirrorless but since then I've come to like the things mirrorless brings such as not having to worry about the whole front / back focus and MA faff on and having in view focus and exposure aids.

In your position I'd think about the bulk and weight issues and the mirrored OVF v mirrorless EVF pros and cons and any performance issues one way or the other.

Good luck choosing.

As mentioned size is pretty much the only benefit and IBIS I suppose if you care about that for your primes especially (nikon's wide angle to short tele primes aren't stabilised).

D750 has better dynamic range, ISO performance, AF, cheaper lenses, etc.

Also I am an EVF fanboi so that's the biggest advantage IMO.

What is it about Sony and GAS. Since moving it has really flared back up! Just trying to talk myself out of
1. Upgrading to A7riii for the improved AF and joystick
2. Swapping my Sigma 120-300 Sport for the FE 100-400. It's a great lens but boy is it heavy!

which 19mm is that? I pride myself on knowledge of wide angle lenses, there is a wide angle I don't know about :eek:
It's just a little Vivitar f3.8. As far as I know it's another one of these multi brand lenses, Vivitar, Cosina, Tamron maybe etc.

There's distortion of course and it's nowhere near the Sigma 20mm f1.8 I had and a mile from the 12-24mm but I think it'll be ok for some wider angle and perspective fun :D

First test shot at f3.5. Car and moon :D

DSC08559.jpg

DSC08563.jpg

It's better than I thought it would be :D

Last edited:
What is it about Sony and GAS. Since moving it has really flared back up! Just trying to talk myself out of
1. Upgrading to A7riii for the improved AF and joystick
2. Swapping my Sigma 120-300 Sport for the FE 100-400. It's a great lens but boy is it heavy!

Sony GAS is up there with the worst as they keep bringing out bodies which keep getting better and better.
A lot of people like to have the latest and greatest..... :D
You could wait for the FE 200-600mm G Master :D lol

IMO making MFT bigger is madness but some people equate size and weight with quality and there are those with sausage fingers who can't hold smaller cameras and press the buttons so bigger they get.

I no longer have SLR stlye MFT, I just have smaller RF style now.

IMO making MFT bigger is madness but some people equate size and weight with quality and there are those with sausage fingers who can't hold smaller cameras and press the buttons so bigger they get.

I no longer have SLR stlye MFT, I just have smaller RF style now.

There are some larger lenses for mft. Some people just prefer a larger, well built camera. Doesn’t always mean they are fat.

There are some larger lenses for mft. Some people just prefer a larger, well built camera. Doesn’t always mean they are fat.
interesting you put larger and well built together, as i think a lot of people do incorrectly think they go together. maybe it relates to historically pro cameras are bigger and better built. its the same now with mobiles theres this idea that metal is stronger/better than plastics, but some of the polycarbs used are way stronger that the trendy alu frames.
i think there are advantages and disadvantages to both sizes, bigger and smaller.

I'm tempted by this and I may get one st some point so I'll be interested to read you thoughts and see the results.

I didn't mean the people are fat... I've read many times that some people (some men, I don't think I've ever read this from a woman) can't hold or work smaller cameras hence the sausage fingers comment.

+1, bigger cameras (especially these days with so many fn buttons) are much more comfy.

Maybe, but I prefer a more precise instrument which is just big enough and no more and I like the more compact RF form MFT cameras more than the larger SRL ones.

Last edited:
I didn't mean the people are fat... I've read many times that some people (some men, I don't think I've ever read this from a woman) can't hold or work smaller cameras hence the sausage fingers comment.

It can be awkward for some when the camera bodies are so small. But it’s all just down to personal taste and not one size fits all.

I've had two MFT SLR type bodies, a G1 and a G7 and I'd describe neither as so small. To me they were the size of 35mm cameras.

The G1 was probably my favorite camera for the balance of bulk, weight and handling. The G7 was nearly there but ruined for me by a very uncomfortably shaped grip and shutter shock with some lenses.

As you say, it's a personal choice thing and if Panny can sell the G9 then good luck to them but if bigger is the way they go there's a simple answer for me, I wont be buying any more SLR style bodies off them.

Anyway, I hardly use MFT these days.

Last edited:
Been away working a lot in Sweden so been off the forums, but been using a Lumix G80 and X100F when I travel the rii was too heavy, anyway I was mightily impressed with the DFD focus on the g80 and the features it brought back good old memories on my Olympus days..... anyway to top it all off they dropped the G9 so I bought it, wanted 6k picture mode and I’m loving the depth of field macro stuff it does no more farting about stacking em.. that DFD focus is as fast as my d500 I think...

Anyway GAS relieved for a few months before I drop cash into the 42.5 nocto and maybe sneak in a 100-400 with her curtain order LOL

Back