The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Will look forward to seeing the pictures but please also share thoughts on the cameras.

Last edited:
Would you get:

A) A7ii + 16-35mm + 28-70mm + 35mm 2.8

Or

B) A6500 + 10-18mm + 16-70mm + 24mm 1.8

For landscape, travel, portrait and maybe add the 55mm to the A7ii kit or the 35mm to the a6500 for second shooting some weddings.

Interested to know what you lot think!

Would you get:

Or

For landscape, travel, portrait and maybe add the 55mm to the A7ii kit or the 35mm to the a6500 for second shooting some weddings.

If you are thinking weddings I’d go with full frame.
Get the 16-35, 55 & 85.

Would you get:

Or

If you are thinking weddings I’d go with full frame.
Get the 16-35, 55 & 85.

I would agree, go full-frame if possible but that doesn't mean you can't use the A6500 for weddings.
The lenses you use are very important but then so is a good auto-focus system.
You could have bought yesterday and took advantages of the extra price reductions.

yea sure i will!

im off work until the new year so i have plenty of time now to do some serious editing etc
Excellent, interested to hear your views on the Sony A7R III vs A9.
Resolution aside, what else did you find positive about the A7R III vs A9.

I've not had a chance to do much shooting aside from playing in the house but I'm very impressed with the A7RIII!! I can't quite put my finger on it but it feels a more solid camera in the hand.

The control adjustments like the AF point stick, improved control wheels and buttons are a major improvement and all have a nicer action to them.

Even things like the memory card door just feel well made and built to last, and that's usually the flimsy bit on a body!!!

The AF seems an improvement but I've not shkt enough to say for sure, seems to my eye to work better in low light though, possibly as well as any DSLR I've shot.

Battery life is a total non-issue now, I was playing with it for an hour or so last night and it's barely gone down by 5%, also helps that physically it's about the same size as a Nikon DSLR battery now!

The new menu structure is nice, easier to read with the different colours although still need to get my head around which menu everything is in now!

Still so much I need to try though!

Also first impressions of the 24-105 are good, certainly IQ wise, it doesn't seem to exhibit the quite obvious vignetting that was seen in some of the original test videos, it seems to be a cracker IQ wise but will need to get a proper shot of it this week!

The build is "ok", not as nice as the GM but it's very light!!

I've not had a chance to do much shooting aside from playing in the house but I'm very impressed with the A7RIII!! I can't quite put my finger on it but it feels a more solid camera in the hand.

The control adjustments like the AF point stick, improved control wheels and buttons are a major improvement and all have a nicer action to them.

Even things like the memory card door just feel well made and built to last, and that's usually the flimsy bit on a body!!!

The AF seems an improvement but I've not shkt enough to say for sure, seems to my eye to work better in low light though, possibly as well as any DSLR I've shot.

Battery life is a total non-issue now, I was playing with it for an hour or so last night and it's barely gone down by 5%, also helps that physically it's about the same size as a Nikon DSLR battery now!

The new menu structure is nice, easier to read with the different colours although still need to get my head around which menu everything is in now!

Still so much I need to try though!

Also first impressions of the 24-105 are good, certainly IQ wise, it doesn't seem to exhibit the quite obvious vignetting that was seen in some of the original test videos, it seems to be a cracker IQ wise but will need to get a proper shot of it this week!

The build is "ok", not as nice as the GM but it's very light!!

congrats on a great purchase. certainly looks like a lovely camera with a lot of previous complaints answered.

I would agree, go full-frame if possible but that doesn't mean you can't use the A6500 for weddings.
The lenses you use are very important but then so is a good auto-focus system.
You could have bought yesterday and took advantages of the extra price reductions.

True, I did order the A7II the other day from park cameras with the kit lens and 32gb SD card, works out at £1024 after cashback.

But then I have just seen that the A6500 is £879 after cashback on Amazon at the moment as well!

So basically, both bodies work out at around a similar price!

That's true, although I read that the A7II is decent enough for weddings, don't need it for fast moving cars or wildlife really.

Looking like I am going to get rid of the X-T2, can't be doing with the X-Trans III processing issues, people say it's not an issue now but I can see it in unsharpened images. I think its an issue that once you see it, you can't un-see it and I don't want to go to Capture one or have the risk of taking landscapes in my dream locations, to process watercolour effect images; and I am a self confessed pixel peeper.

Think back to Sony might be the right move for me as good as the X-T2 is ergonomically and as a system - it needs a Bayer sensor.

True, I did order the A7II the other day from park cameras with the kit lens and 32gb SD card, works out at £1024 after cashback.

But then I have just seen that the A6500 is £879 after cashback on Amazon at the moment as well!

So basically, both bodies work out at around a similar price!

That's true, although I read that the A7II is decent enough for weddings, don't need it for fast moving cars or wildlife really.

Looking like I am going to get rid of the X-T2, can't be doing with the X-Trans III processing issues, people say it's not an issue now but I can see it in unsharpened images. I think its an issue that once you see it, you can't un-see it and I don't want to go to Capture one or have the risk of taking landscapes in my dream locations, to process watercolour effect images; and I am a self confessed pixel peeper.

Think back to Sony might be the right move for me as good as the X-T2 is ergonomically and as a system - it needs a Bayer sensor.
I move back to the Sony system from Fuji too, both have their strengths and weaknesses. :)
I agree you can use the Sony A7 II for weddings, I have a friend who still uses his along with a original A7 :D

I move back to the Sony system from Fuji too, both have their strengths and weaknesses. :)
I agree you can use the Sony A7 II for weddings, I have a friend who still uses his along with a original A7 :D

I think if landscapes weren’t a main focus then I would have no issue with Fuji as the lens selection is better in my eyes and the manual controls are miles better etc. But like you say, both have strengths and weaknesses, shame Fuji’s weakness is pretty significant in my eyes until something changes (well, you can get iridient and changes files into DNG , but that boosts them to 75mb per image which is massive). Even then I don’t think it completely solves the issues.

Last edited:
When shooting the A7r2 tethered via USB to the Sony Imaging edge remote software can you move the focus point with the cursor? or are you limited to a fixed central focus point?

Last edited:
OK so will ask the many users here for some advice as still new to Sony A7, I have the A7 body and looking for a good 35mm lens that I can used for general walkabout stuff and stitched landscapes. Currently using a Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 manual lens with adaptor which is giving some great results but do miss autofocus sometimes.

This is the sort of thing I like to do, so recommendations for a new 35mm autofocus lens please.

A Sunny Winters Day. by Paul Holtom, on Flickr

OK so will ask the many users here for some advice as still new to Sony A7, I have the A7 body and looking for a good 35mm lens that I can used for general walkabout stuff and stitched landscapes. Currently using a Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 manual lens with adaptor which is giving some great results but do miss autofocus sometimes.

This is the sort of thing I like to do, so recommendations for a new 35mm autofocus lens please.

Cz35 2.8 would do the job, samyang also.

Samyang 35mm f2.8 or Sony zeiss 35mm f2.8

Nice and small

I’m still trying to get used to mine, I appear to be having a love hate relationship with it at the moment, whilst I love the IQ, size etc, I cant get used to the FL. It is a great lens for the money though

I had the same feeling with my old FE 35mm f2.8, 35mm isn’t my focal length, I prefer 50/55/85/135mm FL for primes.
I won’t be buying the FE 35mm f2.8 again even though it’s a great little lens.

I had the same feeling with my old FE 35mm f2.8, 35mm isn’t my focal length, I prefer 50/55/85/135mm FL for primes.
I won’t be buying the FE 35mm f2.8 again even though it’s a great little lens.
I think this may be my issue, I enjoy the 35mm, 85 combo, cant say I’ve tried 135 as in the past I’ve had a 70-200 and more recently 120-300 for sports and wildlife, although the 100-400 will replace these on Sony

Old manual lenses are a good way of filling the gaps you don't use often enough to justify buying a modern AF lens for :D

Birthday Girl, A7 with Voigtlander 40mm, f3.2, 1/160, ISO 3,200.

DSC08698.jpg

Last edited:
From a Luminous Landscape piece on the Leica CL...

"Once more thing . . . image quality. While this is very subjective, the look of a Leica CL file has its own uniqueness. There is a smooth and hard to define but very obvious feel of a Leica file and especially one from the CL. This is a fun camera and well designed and just different enough to be intriguing."

Whenever I read something like this my mind scream "BS." These are technical enough people and yet the terms they'd normally use are forgotten and they resort to hinting at some undefined magical Voodoo quality. BS.

Buy the A6500 instead :D

From a Luminous Landscape piece on the Leica CL...

"Once more thing . . . image quality. While this is very subjective, the look of a Leica CL file has its own uniqueness. There is a smooth and hard to define but very obvious feel of a Leica file and especially one from the CL. This is a fun camera and well designed and just different enough to be intriguing."

Whenever I read something like this my mind scream "BS." These are technical enough people and yet the terms they'd normally use are forgotten and they resort to hinting at some undefined magical Voodoo quality. BS.

Buy the A6500 instead :D

Wouldn’t expect you to understand.

Why?

Because I have a technical background and would have been ripped to pieces if I'd said anything so facile in one of my reports or because I'm too downmarket to get the Leica magic? These are technical enough people and they can find the language when they want but instead they use this BS. It's just BS. IMVHO of course :D

Why?

Because I have a technical background and would have been ripped to pieces if I'd said anything so facile in one of my reports or because I'm too downmarket to get the Leica magic? These are technical enough people and they can find the language when they want but instead they use this BS. It's just BS. IMVHO of course :D

So are you saying all cameras and Raw files bake/output exactly the same image style? Lenses also give different image characteristics.

Why?

Held up in meetings today but will reply later (y)

I have to admit having very briefly played with an M240 for a weekend I don't think the Leica "look" think is rubbish but I think many of the systems have a look of their own, Fuji in particular.

I've really grown to like the look I get from the Loxia glass (and liked the 24-70 GM "look") it's all subjective though!

Anyone use the Canon 70-200 F4 on the A7ii? How does it perform if so?

Will a cheap adapter like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Commlite-F...&qid=1511992992&sr=8-2&keywords=ef+to+e+mount work on it? Not fussed about super fast AF on this lens as will use MF most of the time for landscapes.

I haven't used it myself but I've often considered one as a cheaper option than the native one, it seems to work pretty well from most accounts I've read.
Personally I'd avoid the Commlite, seen far too many mixed reviews on it, as a minimum I'd be looking at the Sigma MC-11 adapter, can be had for less than £200 but is very good and seems to work well with that lens (the IS and non IS 70-200 f4

Anyone use the Canon 70-200 F4 on the A7ii? How does it perform if so?

Will a cheap adapter like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Commlite-F...&qid=1511992992&sr=8-2&keywords=ef+to+e+mount work on it? Not fussed about super fast AF on this lens as will use MF most of the time for landscapes.
Your using a 70-200mm f4 for landscapes? Usually a wider focal length is suited to landscape photography but I guess it all depends on what your shooting.
If your going to be using MF then just get a cheap adapter perhaps?

Your using a 70-200mm f4 for landscapes? Usually a wider focal length is suited to landscape photography but I guess it all depends on what your shooting.
If your going to be using MF then just get a cheap adapter perhaps?
I quite often use longer lengths for landscape. It gives a different feeling due to the compression. I find the feelings evoked by wide angles are wow nice view, whereas with a telephoto it's more of a feeling of being part of the image. It also works well if you want to pick out a particular feature or building. I was looking the other day at some great landscapes taken with the 100-400 GM

I quite often use longer lengths for landscape. It gives a different feeling due to the compression. I find the feelings evoked by wide angles are wow nice view, whereas with a telephoto it's more of a feeling of being part of the image. It also works well if you want to pick out a particular feature or building. I was looking the other day at some great landscapes taken with the 100-400 GM

great for getting the moon to appear larger for example.

Back