The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've not noticed any missed focus or hunting with the 50mm f2.8 on my a7R II so I wonder if it's partially down to the camera? If Rockwool said which camera he used, I missed it.

Mine is an A7 and the lens was all over the place. I couldn't get three shots in a row in focus, it'd hit one target ok but fail to hit another and then fail to hit the original target and then there was the slowness and the hunting. It was much worse than any review had lead me to believe and all in all just a total dog of a lens. I had hoped it'd perform like the old Canon 50mm f2.5 I had but it was much slower and hunted much more.

All these things were cured by mounting the 55mm f1.8.

Of course it may have been faulty but it certainly put me off the lens and as there don't seem to be any reports of how the lens performs on A7's for other people I'm reluctant to go through it all again. Even if I had one that focused consistantly I don't think I could live with the slowness and the hunting, I'd rather use a manual lens.

Last edited:
I'm so stuck right now. I'm looking at changing over from my Canon 6D to Sony, but I'm seriously stuck on what to go for.

The A7RII is currently at £1,660 on Panamoz, and the A7RIII is at £2,880. I seriously want the III, but the II seems a steal at that price.

Do I just save the extra and go for the III or do I save £1,200 and spend that on glass?

I mainly shoot non-moving subjects, but do have a 18 month old daughter that does like to move about haha

I'm so stuck right now. I'm looking at changing over from my Canon 6D to Sony, but I'm seriously stuck on what to go for.

The A7RII is currently at £1,660 on Panamoz, and the A7RIII is at £2,880. I seriously want the III, but the II seems a steal at that price.

Do I just save the extra and go for the III or do I save £1,200 and spend that on glass?

I mainly shoot non-moving subjects, but do have a 18 month old daughter that does like to move about haha

You can get the Rii and the 85mm gmaster for about the same price as the riii on its own

Yep, I'm not sure whether this is a better option for me. Don't get me wrong, I'd love the extras on the III, but can't decide whether it's worth it for me..

Personally I’d go with the r2 and some fine glass. The A7rii face detect is very good, you might not miss the joystick. Stick 2 batteries in a £50 3rd part grip and you’re good for 700-800 shots.

£1,200 is a big difference and a lot of money

If you shoot mainly non-moving stuff then buy the A7rii, I've upgraded to the A7riii and while its an amazing bit of kit I really wanted it for the bigger battery, joystick and dual slots.... but there's nothing wrong with the A7rii and for the cash saving if you don't feel you need the AF then don't spend the extra on the 3!

So far Ive resisted the hype and the GAS is now settling, well for the A7riii anyway :) Hopefully by the time I’m ready Panamoz will be around the 2k mark, then I’ll be more tempted to press the button

I think I may hold fire and if the III drops a bit closer to £2,500 at Panamoz, I'll probably go for that as I would like the extra features.

It doesn't quite compute, there should be at least a 20% saving at launch. They'll all chance it for a while and nobody will bite.

Id expect the price to drop week on week. i monitored the a9 quite closely on there and it was quite staggering how much it dropped in 6 months.

samyang 35mm f2.8 £227 @ park cameras

Thanks for this. That is a great price so I have just treated myself to one for my A7RII. I might put my Fuji X100f up for sale now as I think the Samyang 35mm will cover me for when wondering around town.

Thanks for this. That is a great price so I have just treated myself to one for my A7RII. I might put my Fuji X100f up for sale now as I think the Samyang 35mm will cover me for when wondering around town.

I just got one too :confused:. Rude not to at that price. And if it’s no good I’ll blame @jonneymendoza

Tell that to Canon, 5D MkIV lowest UK price £3129.........Panamoz £2110, now that's a saving! Comes with UK handbook as well.

A9 UK 4500, grey under 3k. Now that's a saving ;).

The a7riii will drop fast.

Makes me wonder why manufacturers take the P with UK customers.

Last edited:
A9 UK 4500, grey under 3k. Now that's a saving ;).

The a7riii will drop fast.

Makes me wonder why Sony takes the P with its UK customers.

Your probably right, I'm surprised the difference isn't more now given that the pound has recovered most of its losses over the last year....

I thought you had gone to Fuji?

Have some Fuji stuff but not prepared to take the huge hit on the glass I currently have for Sony. Recently spent just under £500 for the samyang 50mm 1.4 and for no one biting at £360 with 2 batteries thrown in.

Have some Fuji stuff but not prepared to take the huge hit on the glass I currently have for Sony. Recently spent just under £500 for the samyang 50mm 1.4 and for no one biting at £360 with 2 batteries thrown in.
Stick with Sony..... :D

You’re ok you have 2 copies of every lens :)

He collects Sony gear don't you know. TBH if Sony increases their prices anymore (esp in the UK) they will start to damage their growing business in certain regions. Canikon need to pull their fingers out and release their own FF MILC to change the market.

Last edited:
Any idea which ones?
The Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 apparently but I could be wrong, going up by £50. :eek:

** edit scrub that, looks like Harrison's might putting the price up to £749 like the rest as they currently have it on for £699.

Last edited:
Back