The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The size comparison pictures on page 2 and 7 matter to me. There's no way I'm going to carry a big fat lump like that Nikon let alone whip it out and wave it at people.

:D

PS.
I read a post on Luminous Landscape, the poster said that the A7Rx felt like a "toy," a "good toy." Comments like this really make me wonder about the posters and the whole I'm a man and I want a manly camera attitude but maybe it's because I spent much of my working life with test gear and I'd liken the smaller mirrorless cameras to that gear as they're relatively compact and look like they were built to perform a precise function with their precise buttons and controls. I'd liken some DSLR's more to the sort of kit I'd expect to find on a construction site or in an agricultural setting, bigger, chunkier and with controls you can jab a gloved finger at. I've always preferred precise test gear to industrialised power tools :D

I do prefer the smaller form factor of mirrorless - but - I really doubt it you were taking a shot of someone they would turn around and say “oh thank goodness you’re using a small camera and not that big old Nikon D850”.

Regarding the comments about them feeling like toys, I do personally feel like I baby mirrorless gear more. They are probably built just as well as dslrs- but to me they don’t feel as well built.

Last edited:
It really is horses for courses now between the two, I'm probably one of the few on here that's used both.

Yes the D850 probably just has the edge from a usability perspective due to the extra dials/buttons but with the added controls on the A7RIII like the focus point stick it's not far off now, I would have liked the A9's extra dial though!!

I'm also probably.... Coming down more on the EVF side now but that's probably because I've been using more manual focus glass, in fact the combination of better controls and the improved EVF might make me tempted enough to try older mf glass (i.e not Loxia/Voightlander which is electronically linked) I've avoided older stuff as I like the auto zoom, etc of the newer lenses but the way it's setup now it doesn't really matter!

I do prefer the smaller form factor of mirrorless - but - I really doubt it you were taking a shot of someone they would turn around and say “oh thank goodness you’re using a small camera and not that big old Nikon D850”.

Regarding the comments about them feeling like toys, I do personally feel like I baby mirrorless gear more. They are probably built just as well as dslrs- but to me they don’t feel as well built.

When I started taking pictures I was 10 and it was with a Kodak Instamatic and I took it whenever I was taken on holiday or for a day out. In those days pictures were mostly posed or scenic. Moving through the years RF's and SLR's were relatively small too and it was only when I moved to DSLR's that I became conscious of three things... the bulk and weight and the fact that I didn't like these things, people were looking at me and what I was doing more and this made me feel much more self conscious and people I pointed my camera at felt more awkward and self conscious.

These were real things for me, YMMV etc.

I still to an extent see and feel these things with my A7 and MFT kit compared to a smartphone or a genuine compact camera. When I whip my A7 out I do find that I get more attention from passers by, I don't think they care anywhere near as much when my Mrs whips out her smartphone. And then there's the man with a camera so he must be a P**** factor, there are places I go to where I just wouldn't use a camera if I was by myself but when I'm with my Mrs it's much much less of an issue.

Last edited:
I'm also probably.... Coming down more on the EVF side now but that's probably because I've been using more manual focus glass, in fact the combination of better controls and the improved EVF might make me tempted enough to try older mf glass (i.e not Loxia/Voightlander which is electronically linked) I've avoided older stuff as I like the auto zoom, etc of the newer lenses but the way it's setup now it doesn't really matter!

I've turned auto enlarge off as I find it confuses me and takes my attention off the whole scene. What I do is compose and roughly focus the shot, move the focus point and then enlarge and focus. I prefer this to having the enlarged view appear as soon as I turn the focus ring as what's going to appear probably wont be what I want to focus on.

There's an A7, 28-70mm and 50mm f1.8 in the for sale section, all look to be at good prices.

Just part way through reading the comparison, and came across the following;

If anyone tells you that one camera is better than the other, for any particular activity based on image quality, you should laugh at them.
In their face, if possible.

With an overall verdict of No Clear winner, I think the actual conclusion should be that we are the winner - more choice of amazing cameras.

Smart-phone cameras may have hit the compact camera market hard, but cameras like these show the future is bright for those that demand more!

When I started taking pictures I was 10 and it was with a Kodak Instamatic and I took it whenever I was taken on holiday or for a day out. In those days pictures were mostly posed or scenic. Moving through the years RF's and SLR's were relatively small too and it was only when I moved to DSLR's that I became conscious of three things... the bulk and weight and the fact that I didn't like these things, people were looking at me and what I was doing more and this made me feel much more self conscious and people I pointed my camera at felt more awkward and self conscious.

These were real things for me, YMMV etc.

I still to an extent see and feel these things with my A7 and MFT kit compared to a smartphone or a genuine compact camera. When I whip my A7 out I do find that I get more attention from passers by, I don't think they care anywhere near as much when my Mrs whips out her smartphone. And then there's the man with a camera so he must be a P**** factor, there are places I go to where I just wouldn't use a camera if I was by myself but when I'm with my Mrs it's much much less of an issue.

i didn't start taking photos until in my mid-late 20's and big DSLR's seemed like the norm at the time. i guess spending so much time in London where you see people with cameras every day, its less of an issue for me.
the only heckling i ever received was when doing a landscape workshop some guy probably trying to impress his Mrs made a comment about the amount of tripods out and how boring we must be. bothered.

i didn't start taking photos until in my mid-late 20's and big DSLR's seemed like the norm at the time. i guess spending so much time in London where you see people with cameras every day, its less of an issue for me.
the only heckling i ever received was when doing a landscape workshop some guy probably trying to impress his Mrs made a comment about the amount of tripods out and how boring we must be. bothered.

My first proper camera was the Nikon D40 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses, bought it in 2009 for £352.29 with a 4GB SD card :D What a camera, it had 6mp and used a CCD Sony sensor I believe.

My first proper camera was the Nikon D40 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses, bought it in 2009 for £352.29 with a 4GB SD card :D What a camera, it had 6mp and used a CCD Sony sensor I believe.

it must have been a similar time to me. i remember the d40 being quite small. i got the d90 with the 18-105 kit lens. pretty much on the week of release. the first DSLR to shoot "hd" video lol
great camera. didn't have a clue what i was doing with it. but wanted to shoot wildlife stuff.

it must have been a similar time to me. i remember the d40 being quite small. i got the d90 with the 18-105 kit lens. pretty much on the week of release. the first DSLR to shoot "hd" video lol
great camera. didn't have a clue what i was doing with it. but wanted to shoot wildlife stuff.
Yes, it was a nice little camera, I bought further Nikon gear after that too... The Nikon D7000, 18-200mm, 35mm, 10-24m, 16-55mm, 70-300mm etc.
Then switched to the Fuji X100 followed by the big move into Sony GAS :D

dynax S50 is a high-performance anti-corrosion wax that provides exceptionally long-lasting protection to steel surfaces. It creeps into welded seams and seals surface defects

Does it have 20 stops of dynamic range. 60mp and shoot faster then the speed of light?

Considering a drum scan of a large format slide gives an equivalent of somewhere between 400 and 600 megapixels, I reckon 60mp should be easy.

My sensor is 5”x4”, yours is 36mm x 24mm but size isn’t everything [emoji6]

Totally agree with what you're saying, however I think the size isn't really about other peoples perception, or it isn't in my case. When I had my 5D3 I tended not to only take it when I knew I would be photographing things, on the occasions I did take it on family days out, it felt very conspicuous and I was always a little paranoid, after all I always used to see others with cameras like the 5D3, 1DX2 etc or white lenses and think "nice".

My view is that due to the form factor of the mirrorless bodies and the fact they look more "toy-like" they got get noticed the same (only by other photographers). Because of this it now goes everywhere with me. As I saw somewhere "it isn't the camera that you own that makes the difference, it the camera thats with you at the time"

With regards to babying them, I agree I do nurse the Sony more. My Canon saw some pretty bad weather and I was never overly worried about it being in the rain. All my lenses were weather sealed and I am also waterproof so rain never bothered me, I also carried a couple of Optec sleeves for when it was really bad. However I am also paranoid of any water on the Sony (A7rii), it would be interesting know how "weather-resistant" it actually is. Not sure why it worries me so as its insured anyway :)

Totally agree with what you're saying, however I think the size isn't really about other peoples perception, or it isn't in my case. When I had my 5D3 I tended not to only take it when I knew I would be photographing things, on the occasions I did take it on family days out, it felt very conspicuous and I was always a little paranoid, after all I always used to see others with cameras like the 5D3, 1DX2 etc or white lenses and think "nice".

My view is that due to the form factor of the mirrorless bodies and the fact they look more "toy-like" they got get noticed the same (only by other photographers). Because of this it now goes everywhere with me. As I saw somewhere "it isn't the camera that you own that makes the difference, it the camera thats with you at the time"

With regards to babying them, I agree I do nurse the Sony more. My Canon saw some pretty bad weather and I was never overly worried about it being in the rain. All my lenses were weather sealed and I am also waterproof so rain never bothered me, I also carried a couple of Optec sleeves for when it was really bad. However I am also paranoid of any water on the Sony (A7rii), it would be interesting know how "weather-resistant" it actually is. Not sure why it worries me so as its insured anyway :)

Sure. I definitely take mirrorless with me more often as with a small prime it’s much more manageable.

Not sure what level of weather sealing it has. I think it was originally advertised as weather sealed but that statement was removed early on. I’m don’t often take my gear into too harsh conditions though to be fair

Sure. I definitely take mirrorless with me more often as with a small prime it’s much more manageable.

Not sure what level of weather sealing it has. I think it was originally advertised as weather sealed but that statement was removed early on. I’m don’t often take my gear into too harsh conditions though to be fair

My main concerns are if it's drizzling or if it starts to rain will it be ok, many of the lenses seem to be advertised as weather resistant however there doesn't seem to be the usual rubber gaskets that you see on Canon and Sigma lenses

Hi all,

new firmware out for the FE 70-200mm f2.8 G Master
This update (version 05) improves the accuracy of the contrast AF at distant shooting, making it easier to focus when the aperture is narrowed down to F11 or higher.

Great to see Sony addressing issues, shame they can't update the Sony A9 to gain some of the A7R III features! :(

Hi all,

new firmware out for the FE 70-200mm f2.8 G Master
This update (version 05) improves the accuracy of the contrast AF at distant shooting, making it easier to focus when the aperture is narrowed down to F11 or higher.

Great to see Sony addressing issues, shame they can't update the Sony A9 to gain some of the A7R III features! :(

which ones are you missing?

which ones are you missing?
Not missing but more of a like :D

- Anti-Flicker
- Picture Profiles incl S-Log2/3 and HDR-Log
- Photo rating & Burst Photo Grouping
- PixelShift Mode
- 4k & 6K Photo Mode
- Eye-AF - Selective Mode for Picking Preffered Eye
- Time Lapse / Intervelometer.
- Better SD Card Management
- Update Touch Screen to work like the A7R III and add full Touch GUI functionality.

BHphoto send out 2 x A7RIII instead of one :D

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/bhphoto-shipping-two-a7riii-instead-one-customers/#disqus_thread

It's a lovely sunny but cold day here but I can't go out so I played with this...

View attachment 115972

and thought that I rather liked a portrait crop...

View attachment 115973

A sickening read. Guy gets pressured by wife to return camera. Guy returns camera. Guy states integrity worth more than the camera. Guy posts article on internet with everyone should be more like me and my high morales message. Sickening.

Nice portrait Alan. Looks like plenty of fun was had too.

Not missing but more of a like :D

- Anti-Flicker
- Picture Profiles incl S-Log2/3 and HDR-Log
- Photo rating & Burst Photo Grouping
- PixelShift Mode
- 4k & 6K Photo Mode
- Eye-AF - Selective Mode for Picking Preffered Eye
- Time Lapse / Intervelometer.
- Better SD Card Management
- Update Touch Screen to work like the A7R III and add full Touch GUI functionality.

Well that's for the A9II and maybe Sony will hold some back for the A9III, you must know how it works by now....... :D

Back