The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A couple of A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 100% crops. I hope the sharpness isn't lost.

1-DSC08888.jpg

1-DSC08898.jpg

As it's quiet this morning...

A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2.

Winter colours.

1-DSC08890.JPG

100% on the leaves from that.

1-DSC08890-C.jpg

The invisible man or maybe a ghost reaches out a snow covered gloved hand towards me... oh er!!!

1-DSC08855.JPG

Where is everyone???

Just a little snap of Mrs WW decorating the tree, A7, Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 @f2, ISO 4,000.

DSC08899.jpg

The rumor site says that Sigma's first FE lenses will be Art series... so I suppose that means good but big and expensive.

Read all about it...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sigmas-first-fe-lenses-will-art-series/#disqus_thread

This was my prediction not so long ago and it’s great news
Sigma ART lenses from what I have seen and read are pretty good with many Canon/Nikon users raving about them.
Sony have really pushed and pushed their A7/A9 series fast, the market has noticed.

Can Canon/Nikon compete anytime soon? :D

My next prediction is that Sony will release a new generation of sensor in the next A9 body with significantly boosts DR/ISO/IQ abilities.
Also advanced in-body down sampling could be an avenue worth considering :D
e.g. body takes photo at 90mp but has ability to down sample down to 24mp on the fly thus reducing noise and perceived increasing IQ. This would also allow crazy high ISO shooting abilities.

I am hoping sony will come up with electronic IBIS, thus reducing the size of bodies back to original A7 size but keeping all the ergonomic improvements like bigger battery, joystick, control wheels etc.

This was my prediction not so long ago and it’s great news
Sigma ART lenses from what I have seen and read are pretty good with many Canon/Nikon users raving about them.
Sony have really pushed and pushed their A7/A9 series fast, the market has noticed.

Can Canon/Nikon compete anytime soon? :D

My next prediction is that Sony will release a new generation of sensor in the next A9 body with significantly boosts DR/ISO/IQ abilities.
Also advanced in-body down sampling could be an avenue worth considering :D
e.g. body takes photo at 90mp but has ability to down sample down to 24mp on the fly thus reducing noise and perceived increasing IQ. This would also allow crazy high ISO shooting abilities.
I may be forced to break the habit of a lifetime and pre-order the 35mm Art

I'd be seriously tempted by a Sigma long lens... Either 70-200, or one of the Bigmas... 100-300 f/2.8, assuming they were priced sensibly

I'd be seriously tempted by a Sigma long lens... Either 70-200, or one of the Bigmas... 100-300 f/2.8, assuming they were priced sensibly

This is where Sigma see their market in the FE mount, not priced high-end like Sony G Master lenses, there is definitely a need for FE ART lenses both in terms of performance and price. :D

Is it Sigma who already have "FE" lenses which are just their Sigma mount lenses with a permanently attached adapter? Seems like an easy win to me.

I got nothing as exciting, but got my tokina 17mm/3.5 today. But looks like it doesn't focus to infinity :(:(

not having great luck with manual lenses recently... I suppose at least this one showed up which is a bonus :p

Last edited:
I got what was possibly the last 24-105mm in the country yesterday when one of Castle Camera's customers went for the 24-70 f2.8 instead and I was next on the list. :D :banana:
It focusses surprisingly close at 105mm so there'll be a Sigma 105mm Macro in EF for sale as well as a Zony 24-70mm f4. No, it's nowhere near macro levels but it's close enough for my needs.

I got what was possibly the last 24-105mm in the country yesterday when one of Castle Camera's customers went for the 24-70 f2.8 instead and I was next on the list. :D :banana:
It focusses surprisingly close at 105mm so there'll be a Sigma 105mm Macro in EF for sale as well as a Zony 24-70mm f4. No, it's nowhere near macro levels but it's close enough for my needs.

Congratulations, from what I hear it’s better then the 24-70mm f4 in every way but with a greater focal range. :)

This will be massive if they keep the prices the same as Canon/Nikon versions. (Or offer the mount swap like they currently do to FE mount). I’m sure Sony will gain lots of new users when this happens.
Even if they could keep the price the same as their existing A mounts why would they when there is plenty of profit headroom to be had and still come in under Distagon's, Zeiss's and GM's?

Just back from a day at the zoo with the 100-400. It was great not having to lug round the best part of 5kg in a backpack, just a small Think Tank body bag. I even felt sorry for the people with their huge f2.8/f4 primes attached to 1dx2 bodies on equally huge monopods! Looking forward to downloading the images later

Last edited:
Back