The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just back from a day at the zoo with the 100-400. It was great not having to lug round the best part of 5kg in a backpack, just a small Think Tank body bag. I even felt sorry for the people with their huge f2.8/f4 primes attached to 1dx2 bodies on equally huge monopods! Looking forward to downloading the images later

https://flic.kr/p/CPU7Mm

I don't have the FD 24mm f2.8, I have Rokkor and Zuiko 24mm f2.8's. I've posted a few pictures here in the past and I'd say that my Zuiko and Rokkor lenses are perfectly useable for whole images or even crops... and I'd expect the FD to be perfectly useable too. These lenses will not be as good as the best modern lenses but if you're tight (like me) and don't want to spend Sigma Art money or just want a reasonable lens to cover a little used focal length that doesn't justify the price of a modern lens I think these lenses make a lot of sense and of course they're portable and can be used on any CSC and will still be working in 30 years time :D

The price is a bit much as camera manufacturer branded 24mm f2.8's crop up around the £100 or so area (and third party ones crop up from £30+) but I suppose these unused FD's will be in excellent condition and might justify their higher price.

PS.
Actually I've had another thought... don't buy one of these FD's, buy my 19mm :D
(Up for sale in the sale section.)

Last edited:
I've used mine (Rokkor and Zuiko) on MFT where I thought they were ok but a native prime like the Panny/Oly 25mm f1.7/1.8 will very probably be better. On FF they'll be sharper than on MFT or APS-C.

Could do with a wide prime.are these any good?

The short answer is yes.

I have both FDn 24mm in both f/2.8 and f/2.0 variants and much of the time I’d be hard pressed to tell them apart. Both of them present pleasing colours and contast in a scene. Both use the same hood, but the 2.8 is a little lighter and more compact in length than the 2.0.

The f/2.0 probably has an edge in sharpness, although the f/2.8 has better controlled distortion, or at least easier to correct at least as it’s a fairly simple barrel distortion rather than a slight moustache distortion.

The Olympus OM 24/2.8 has rather more pronounced and complex moustache distortion than the FD 24/2.0, though. I’m very fussy about such things TBF.

Edit: some full frame samples from all three 24s, mostly on an A7

FD 24mm f/2.8

FD 24mm f/2.0

Olympus OM 24mm f/2.8

Last edited:
For now, when the a9 or a7riii hit the sweet spot I'll buy one. The a7rii just wasn't quite there with the AF, otherwise a great camera.

Got another d750 as a stop gap, best performance for the money.
Do u need mp and dynamic range.. If not grab the A9 grey. It's perfect for you

Na, like I said, I'm not spending 4k+ on a camera and 1 native lens when I know it won't be significantly better than a 1.6k setup. The a9 has a few nice little things but ultimately to me they aren't worth another 2.5k.
spoken like a true ex gas addict ;)

Na, like I said, I'm not spending 4k+ on a camera and 1 native lens when I know it won't be significantly better than a 1.6k setup. The a9 has a few nice little things but ultimately to me they aren't worth another 2.5k.
Ok why not the d850?

Why on earth would someone spend 3-4k on a body that sony UK won't touch? ok 3 year warranty with the grey seller but sony won't ever touch it and currently if you pre order here you can get an extra 3 years warranty free so thats 5 years peace of mind.

I won't go into the rest of my usual reasons but thats reason enough for me to buy from a UK dealer on its own.

PS please don't think I have money to throw away, I haven't, live on disability benefits and am funding my new camera with the sale of all my Olympus kit (already sold)

Why on earth would someone spend 3-4k on a body that sony UK won't touch? ok 3 year warranty with the grey seller but sony won't ever touch it and currently if you pre order here you can get an extra 3 years warranty free so thats 5 years peace of mind.

I won't go into the rest of my usual reasons but thats reason enough for me to buy from a UK dealer on its own.

PS please don't think I have money to throw away, I haven't, live on disability benefits and am funding my new camera with the sale of all my Olympus kit (already sold)

Probably because I’m the case of the a9 there is more than £1,500 difference in the price. Which is a hell of a lot money. And when the cheaper retailer will replace the camera in the event of a issue..we’ll there is certainly appeal there to many people.

Maybe it's a gamble. If you buy grey and don't have any problems with the camera or the seller then you've saved money and of course buying in the UK doesn't guarantee a problem free experience but at least you're money goes towards paying the police and nurses etc and for the other things that we all contribute towards.

i tend to buy bodies in uk and lenses elsewhere as lenses last longer then bodies.

It's just gas, I know I don't need one and that means although I keep looking I'll probably never buy one.

The rumor site says that the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 is going to be launched tomorrow...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-nokton-35mm-f-1-4-fe-released-tomorrow/#disqus_thread

I have the 40mm f1.2 and it's excellent and by all accounts the 65mm f2 is even better so I expect this 35mm to be rather good too :D

Who will be first to own all three?
:D

PS.
I do wish they'd kept the styling of the old lenses, they look so much better than these bland jobbies, IMO.

Last edited:
The rumor site says that the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 is going to be launched tomorrow...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-nokton-35mm-f-1-4-fe-released-tomorrow/#disqus_thread

I have the 40mm f1.2 and it's excellent and by all accounts the 65mm f2 is even better so I expect this 35mm to be rather good too :D

PS.
I do wish they'd kept the styling of the old lenses, they look so much better than these bland jobbies, IMO.

When the Sony bodies are so butt ugly it matters not.

PS.

When the Sony bodies are so butt ugly it matters not.

Back