The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Because I try other cameras to see if they are better. This will again be a stop gap till I try the a9 in a few months.

You can talk jumping on every new release.
I jump and I stay until something new comes along. I jump forward not backwards hehe
You should have kept the a7r2 until you can afford the A9 and just build your e mount lens collection.

Last edited:
I jump and I stay until something new comes along. I jump forward not backwards hehe
You should have kept the a7r2 until you can afford the A9 and just build your e mount lens collection.

If the A7r2 doesn’t do what Twist wants it for or the lenses are over-priced there’s no point in keeping it. I also think his point about the A9 is more that he feels it’s not worth its cost (for him) rather than he can’t afford it.

Printing...

I print now and again and have a love hate relationship with my Epson R2880. Ink is expensive and it seems to empty a cartridge every time I use it, the nozzles needs regular cleaning, settings seem to change randomly, there's the dark print issue and producing a print can take two minutes or an hour depending on what mood it's in but when it works the prints can be very good.

Anyway, after an hour wrestling with it last night and three wasted sheets of A4 I now have four lovely pictures to send to someone :D

If the A7r2 doesn’t do what Twist wants it for or the lenses are over-priced there’s no point in keeping it. I also think his point about the A9 is more that he feels it’s not worth its cost (for him) rather than he can’t afford it.

Well my point is, if the d750 does what he wants, why does he keep changing and going back to it?

the A9 wont be priced at less then 2k for a very very long time if ever(brand new)

Well my point is, if the d750 does what he wants, why does he keep changing and going back to it?

the A9 wont be priced at less then 2k for a very very long time if ever(brand new)

He’s already said that he likes to try new cameras but finds that the D750 still delivers the results and is much better value as a result.

I’m sure the A9 is very nice but it doesn’t offer any benefits for shooting portraits as far as I can see other than price kudos.

I would've if it was up to the task ;) I'm not going to sit with a camera and miss shots. It's not about affordability, it's about being sensible.... why spend 4k+ when 1.6k will do the same job in the interim, id be stupid to spend that kind of money when it's rumoured Canikon will launch serious mirrorless offerings in 2018. Look how much money you'e lost being an early adopter in Sony, the gear doesn't hold any value.

Last edited:
I would've if it was up to the task ;) I'm not going to sit with a camera and miss shots. It's not about affordability, it's about being sensible.... why spend 4k+ when 1.6k will do the same job in the interim, id be stupid to spend that kind of money when it's rumoured Canikon will launch serious mirrorless offerings in 2018. Look how much money you'e lost being an early adopter in Sony, the gear doesn't hold any value.

Be the first to jump on the Canikon and lets see what happens but I'm sure everything will be rosy with bodies that perform as good as their top of the line DSLR's but for a fraction of the price and of course there'll be a full range of excellent lenses from day one.

Be the first to jump on the Canikon and lets see what happens but I'm sure everything will be rosy with bodies that perform as good as their top of the line DSLR's but for a fraction of the price and of course there'll be a full range of excellent lenses from day one.

I'm glad you'e being so positive about it. (y)

If their mirrorless bodies use existing mounts they'll already have a 30 year back catalogue of lens options. Alternatively, the current Canon EF-M can already take EF lenses with their existing AF adaptor so it's already in place. Sony have shown that nobody can beat physics so if you want good quality fast glass it's going to be big and heavy (and extremely expensive). They've also increased the size of their bodies to try and balance the lenses so CaNikon don't need to chase pocket-sized or wallet-friendly bodies either.

If their mirrorless bodies use existing mounts they'll already have a 30 year back catalogue of lens options. Alternatively, the current Canon EF-M can already take EF lenses with their existing AF adaptor so it's already in place. Sony have shown that nobody can beat physics so if you want good quality fast glass it's going to be big and heavy (and extremely expensive). They've also increased the size of their bodies to try and balance the lenses so CaNikon don't need to chase pocket-sized or wallet-friendly bodies either.

Yes, they could do a mirrorless with the same registration and the EF-M is cutting edge so lets all jump on day one :D

My point was that any new system will (probably) take a while, as far as I remember MFT launched with two lenses but now there are plenty, and I doubt any new system is for people who appear to be as demanding as Twist.

i think Canon's advantage will be that they have that adapter which works very well on their m bodies. so they would be in a position to release a full frame mirrorless camera tomorrow with a handful of native lenses but also an adapter that allows current glass to work straight out of the gate.

I'm glad you'e being so positive about it. (y)
Positivity, praise from Caesar :D I'm looking forward to you being happy for a while and to the whinge factor dropping in this thread, for a while :D

A nice Nikon could potentially get me interested and as most of my lenses are old film era lenses changing systems wouldn't cost me too much :D but I don't expect to be tempted from day one.

when it's rumoured Canikon will launch serious mirrorless offerings in 2018.
I have no doubt both Canon & Nikon will join the mirrorless party soon but how well they can compete remains to be seen.
If they try and protect their high-end DSLR sales like they have been doing will result in financial failure.... I think the best option might be to replace all their DSLR’s internals with mirrorless tech.
You can’t complain too much about current DSLR designs, GUI’s, weatherproofing and AF too much so why change those aspects?
I can’t wait for to see what they bring to the table, hopefully it’s not too late.

i think Canon's advantage will be that they have that adapter which works very well on their m bodies. so they would be in a position to release a full frame mirrorless camera tomorrow with a handful of native lenses but also an adapter that allows current glass to work straight out of the gate.
And they have a name people will buy regardless of if it's cutting edge or not so if they produce anything even half way decent they'll sell by the boat load, I think their mirrorless efforts to date have shown that.

I’m sure the A9 is very nice but it doesn’t offer any benefits for shooting portraits as far as I can see other than price kudos.
Face detect Eye-AF is a big benefit for portrait shooting, nailing focus at f1.4 is so much easier.

Other benefits EVF’s offer can also improve portrait shooting.

Is it worth the extra £££ over a traditional DSLR is down to the individual :)

I have no doubt both Canon & Nikon will join the mirrorless party soon but how well they can compete remains to be seen.
If they try and protect their high-end DSLR sales like they have been doing will result in financial failure.... I think the best option might be to replace all their DSLR’s internals with mirrorless tech.
You can’t complain too much about current DSLR designs, GUI’s, weatherproofing and AF too much so why change those aspects?
I can’t wait for to see what they bring to the table, hopefully it’s not too late.

I suppose I'm in a minority as I don't really care if Canon or Nikon or Sony for that matter go the way of Kodak. I suppose one good thing about them staying in business is that it drives competition but if one of them did fold maybe Olympus, Panasonic or Samsung would be tempted to make a push.

Face detect Eye-AF is a big benefit for portrait shooting, nailing focus at f1.4 is so much easier.

Other benefits EVF’s offer can also improve portrait shooting.

Is it worth the extra £££ over a traditional DSLR is down to the individual :)

I was comparing it to the other A7 range really rather than the D750. For a portrait shooter, I don't see what the A9 gives over another A7 body so paying twice the price doesn't make sense.

Positivity, praise from Caesar :D I'm looking forward to you being happy for a while and to the whinge factor dropping in this thread, for a while :D

A nice Nikon could potentially get me interested and as most of my lenses are old film era lenses changing systems wouldn't cost me too much :D but I don't expect to be tempted from day one.

Indeed, I barely post in here Alan, well only to wind you up ;)

Yes, they could do a mirrorless with the same registration and the EF-M is cutting edge so lets all jump on day one :D

My point was that any new system will (probably) take a while, as far as I remember MFT launched with two lenses but now there are plenty, and I doubt any new system is for people who appear to be as demanding as Twist.

I'm not that demanding... 1 / 2 lenses, fast af, is that to much to ask? We don't all photograph things that don't move. I liked the a7rii a lot its just a bit slow.

Last edited:
I was comparing it to the other A7 range really rather than the D750. For a portrait shooter, I don't see what the A9 gives over another A7 body so paying twice the price doesn't make sense.

I agree unless you’re like me who suffers from Sony GAS :)
To be honest as good as the Sony system is, it’s only now with the A7R III and A9 that it’s really as good as the top end DSLR’s.
The future is bright.... competition is good.
Roll on A9 II :D

To be honest as good as the Sony system is, it’s only now with the A7R III and A9 that it’s really as good as the top end DSLR’s.

Exactly.

Indeed, I barely post in here Alan, well only to wind you up ;)
Believe me, you don't succeed.

I just think you're wasting a lot of time and money and causing yourself way too much hassle.

I don't know what all this chopping and changing does for your photography as I've seen so few of your pictures... Personally with my busy and very often stressful life the last thing I want is to spend what free time I have obsessing over the performance differences between every new camera and lens that hits the market and trying to own every one.

But if it makes you happy on some level.

I'm not that demanding... 1 / 2 lenses, fast af, is that to much to ask? We don't all photograph things that don't move. I liked the a7rii a lot its just a bit slow.

But you said people pay you to nail focus on the eye of moving people... I'd call that demanding.

I do photograph moving things but my expectations are real world.

I've always defended the performance of the original A7 I have, and for general day to day usage in good light I still do. The sensor output is excellent but I am getting to the point of possibly trading it in for something else because of the lower light AF performance (which is nothing new). I don't shoot many static objects, apart from my product photography, but having used my friends' A7Rii I was impressed by the low light AF improvement. Unfortunately, I'm not currently in a position to pay out for an Rii so have been looking at moving back to an alternative option which would probably be an A6K series again. Whilst I'd miss the FF sensor, for the lenses I use and without major pixel-peeping I've never seen a night and day difference between the APS-C/FF Sony sensors.

Last edited:
Whilst I'd miss the FF sensor, for the lenses I use and without major pixel-peeping I've never seen a night and day difference between the APS-C/FF Sony sensors.

I don't print much these days but did do four last night and I'm about to do my annual calendar which will be printed and sent off to family and friends across the seas. One thing that struck me last year when seeing MFT and A7 shots mixed together was that apart from the aspect ratio making my MFT pictures stick out the actual image quality didn't and they were other than the aspect ratio lost amongst my A7 pictures and no one spotted any differences but of course they couldn't pixel peep.

I don't print much these days but did do four last night and I'm about to do my annual calendar which will be printed and sent off to family and friends across the seas. One thing that struck me last year when seeing MFT and A7 shots mixed together was that apart from the aspect ratio making my MFT pictures stick out the actual image quality didn't and they were other than the aspect ratio lost amongst my A7 pictures and no one spotted any differences but of course they couldn't pixel peep.

A FF sensor shines with shallow dof portraiture using fast glass. Whilst the FE 50/1.8 is a good lens for the price, if the body won’t focus effectively it loses its shine. Maybe I’m just joining in the GAS element but I do miss my A6000/50/12 combo for its size vs performance.

Believe me, you don't succeed.

I just think you're wasting a lot of time and money and causing yourself way too much hassle.

I don't know what all this chopping and changing does for your photography as I've seen so few of your pictures... Personally with my busy and very often stressful life the last thing I want is to spend what free time I have obsessing over the performance differences between every new camera and lens that hits the market and trying to own every one.

But if it makes you happy on some level.

Not a waste of time or money, it's part of my hobby. If a camera works I keep it for a while, both my d750 and d700 were over 1 1/2, I think you forget how many years you've been on this forum. I thought id try the a7rii, turns out it wasn't doing what I needed even though it was really great in other ways.

Back