The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I rarely get out by myself these days... I'm a full time carer and I'm married now so time to myself?

I used to go out for about half a day about once a fortnight or so in the hills or at the coast but these days normally I'm with my Mrs :D and there's the odd holiday too :D

What I take pictures of... family, friends, scenery, flowers, leaves, fences, rusty old junk and other interesting stuff I see. I sometimes take just one lens but sometimes three and I'll change lenses anywhere.

I have no interest in social media so I have no flickerbook or friendface but I've probably posted as many pictures in this thread as anyone.
excuses! make time!

It sold earlier today didn’t it? You can get a new one on eBay for around £430 though but it’s not a UK model

Ah - apparently it's a scheduled post... so goes live today at 17:45 as that's when eBay thinks it will sell best... Yeah, £430 and £412 recently, and mines immaculate, with original box and 1:1 adaptor, fingers crossed (Although Twist has now sold his 85mm...)

Thanks Tom. Cool shots! I'm not printing big. I'm not entering competitions. I just want something autofocus for when out & about up in the hills/mountains or at the coast.

I only have the FE35 & Batis 85mm at this moment in time but I thought for just over £200 used that zoom might be worth a go for what I want from it. I have manual 28mm lenses - but the kids/girlfriend struggle with MF......

I’d imagine it will be more than fine for that use (y)

These look good, update on how you like it after using it :)

Hi Tom. I’ve just had a quick 45 minute walk at lunchtime to test out the Samyang in better light and I’m impressed. In strong contrasting light there’s obvious CA at 1.4 but nothing that couldn’t be removed with a slider in Lightroom.

Jpg direct from camera and only edit was the B&W conversion within IOS.

ORG_DSC04317.jpg

ORG_DSC04319.jpg

ORG_DSC04314.jpg

All shot at F1.4 and will have compression from the forum upload.

Last edited:
Hi Tom. I’ve just had a quick 45 minute walk at lunchtime to test out the Samyang in better light and I’m impressed. In strong contrasting light there’s obvious CA at 1.4 but nothing that couldn’t be removed with a slider in Lightroom.

View attachment 117961

View attachment 117962

View attachment 117963

Thanks for that - pretty impressive! Looks good, enjoy it!

I take it people are suggesting it’s a stupid test to perform on a camera that the manufacturer doesn’t claim to be weather sealed?

Maybe they should have tested the D850’s ability to shoot medium format film.

But why isn’t it weather sealed when the competition (5d4, D850) is?

But why isn’t it weather sealed when the competition (5d4, D850) is?

I agree that if it wants to be a competitor then weather sealing is a basic requirement (CaNikon have done it for years) but it’s a bit unfair to penalise the camera because it doesn’t do something that the manufacturer doesn’t claim it does.

I agree that if it wants to be a competitor then weather sealing is a basic requirement (CaNikon have done it for years) but it’s a bit unfair to penalise the camera because it doesn’t do something that the manufacturer doesn’t claim it does.

Agree on both

View attachment 117961

Not the sort of thing I'd normally mention, and perhaps it's just me, but I don't really like the bokeh of this... not sure if the Sony version would be any better, but it's a bit...er... muddy?

Personally, I wouldn’t put much faith in the first site as it’s just a generic page linking to every Sony body. The Petapixel article doesn’t suggest it either?

IMG_9988.jpg

I’d take the Sony site as the only definitive source and that doesn’t mention any sort of weather sealing.

Not the sort of thing I'd normally mention, and perhaps it's just me, but I don't really like the bokeh of this... not sure if the Sony version would be any better, but it's a bit...er... muddy?

I’ll upload the full size versions to Flickr later and share the link. I think the forum upload/resize might have had an impact because the bokeh looks smooth on the version on my phone here although I’m not entirely sure what “muddy” means :0)

I treat mine (and I think the RII is much the same as the RIII) in that it's "resistant" to dust and drizzle, but I wouldn't be shooting in the driving rain without shielding it all from the rain... Which I would happily have done my old Canon 7D and an L-lens. It's not really an issue as I don't tend to go out in downpours anyway.

I can only assume that it’s a result of the way that Sony build their cameras as collections of larger pieces (combining both internal electronics and external body shell sections in one) that causes their issues with basic rubber weather sealing. CaNikon generally build the internal electronics then have a sealed external body shell fitted around it to secure the internals.

It does still surprise me how they struggle to deliver secure seals if they want to challenge the competition.

Actually, I’m pretty sure it’s the forum upload because when I zoom in on the original on my phone, I can read the smallest text on the postbox. On the version uploaded here it’s a pixelated blur!

I reckon Sony have covered their backs there so whilst it should be a given that a £3000 pro-spec Camera should be able to withstand some rain, they don’t claim 100% weather sealing so shouldn’t be penalised for it.

I reckon Sony have covered their backs there so whilst it should be a given that a £3000 pro-spec Camera should be able to withstand some rain, they don’t claim 100% weather sealing so shouldn’t be penalised for it.
Steve, you're beginning to sound like a fanboi, lol.

None of the pro spec camera mfrs. claim 100% weather sealing it's just that in a test the Sony came out the worst.

No one is penalising them merely highlighting something that may may or may not influence someone to choose that camera.

Olympus and Pentax seem to be the "toughest" when it comes to weather or tougher operation, most of the Pentax Bodies can operate way below the temperatures recommended by Canon, Nikon or Sony and they've all been well known as having an incredible number of seals and gaskets compared to the competition.

If Olympus can seal their MFT camera's I don't see why Sony can't with theirs....

Steve, you're beginning to sound like a fanboi, lol.

None of the pro spec camera mfrs. claim 100% weather sealing it's just that in a test the Sony came out the worst.

No one is penalising them merely highlighting something that may may or may not influence someone to choose that camera.

I’m only going by what’s written on the Sony site. I don’t own an A7Riii and probably never will but have also said that a supposedly pro-spec £3000 camera should be weather sealed against rain. I’ve used my old 40D with Tamron 17-50 and even a hotshoe flashgun attached in the pouring rain and it didn’t miss a beat so I agree that it’s not good enough from Sony.

Last edited:
I’m only going by what’s written on the Sony site. I don’t own an A7Riii and probably never will but have also said that a supposedly pro-spec £3000 camera should be weather sealed against rain. I’ve used my old 40D with Tamron 17-50 and even a hotshoe flashgun attached in the pouring rain and it didn’t miss a beat so I agree that it’s not good enough from Sony.

Totally agree Steve, I was confident with my 5d3. Especially after shooting a cycle event in London, with it attached to either a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC or Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC, Canon 430 EXii in the rain, we were soaked but the camera didn’t miss a beat (no rain covers)

Yo lads it's definitely not good enough. Remember @twist I brought my 5d3 to the amazon rainforest and used that instead of the a7r2 after our discussions?

I think the A9 is a bit better as I was standing in the rain in Silverstone waiting for Hamilton to come out the pits. Camera got wet but still working till this day

Back