The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've just had a Sony UHS ii /USB 3.0 Card reader I ordered arrive and all I can say is WOW!! Thats the fastest I've ever seen an SD card read!!

Does anyone use the silent mode alot ? On either the A7R2/3 ? In particular during weddings. Anyone any feedback on them for this sort of use ?

Also what flash system can anyone suggest? I always used strobes with wireless triggers with the other equipment

Does anyone use the silent mode alot ? On either the A7R2/3 ? In particular during weddings. Anyone any feedback on them for this sort of use ?

Also what flash system can anyone suggest? I always used strobes with wireless triggers with the other equipment

Watch the distortion with moving subjects, only the A9 is (almost) perfect.

Watch the distortion with moving subjects, only the A9 is (almost) perfect.
For people walking etc it should be fine ? I know it wouldn't suit for sports etc lol

It will be well handy for bridal preps etc I think

I used the A7r2 for a wedding in the summer and switched to electronic/ silent shutter. Some initial test shots showed no banding or rolling shutter - but on one shot the groom’s hand disappeared. It was good to use and did feel quite stealthy, although nobody seemed to mind my mate shooting away on his d810 and d700.

I’ve found the godox system to be excellent and really good value for money.

Thanks, I stand corrected

Just to clarify further, I have 4 numbered batteries and generally work through them in order. This helps by me knowing which are flat and which are charged so when I'm shooting an event/wedding etc I can just grab the next one in order and know they're charged.
I do that too in addition the rotation hopefully distributes the use across all four however in retrospect maybe they'll all bomb at the same time ;-)

I used the A7r2 for a wedding in the summer and switched to electronic/ silent shutter. Some initial test shots showed no banding or rolling shutter - but on one shot the groom’s hand disappeared. It was good to use and did feel quite stealthy, although nobody seemed to mind my mate shooting away on his d810 and d700.

I’ve found the godox system to be excellent and really good value for money.
Is there anything in the Godox range you would suggest / recommend? Preferably an off camera solution

Is there anything in the Godox range you would suggest / recommend? Preferably an off camera solution

X-1ts trigger. (£37)
Ad600 Mono light (I got the non ttl version for about £550)
TT685s ttl hss flash (£90)

The trigger isn’t hugely intuitive but it does the job. The monolight is excellent and the speedlight is excellent value for money

X-1ts trigger. (£37)
Ad600 Mono light (I got the non ttl version for about £550)
TT685s ttl hss flash (£90)

The trigger isn’t hugely intuitive but it does the job. The monolight is excellent and the speedlight is excellent value for money
Thanks dude

Im not sure Id risk it tbh, not like most care about the shutter sound anyway, they know you are there (to do your job) lol.

This would be my advice too, I used the A7R II’s for a wedding and came away with banding in some of the interior shots, it was down to the lighting and a combination of shutter speeds used.
Just use it in mechanical mode on the A7R II etc

The silent shutter, zero blackout and eye-AF on the Sony A9 are hard to ignore even for non-sports use.

My first time out since Christmas and New Year :D but it was a flat lifeless light day and cooooold :(

A7 and Minolta Rokkor 35mm f2.8 MC.

DSC09002-1.jpg

Tree :D

DSC09019.jpg

Last edited:
Ok heads up some news.
I did a portrait shoot today using the a7r3 and 5d4. When shot in nothing but the modeling light on. Both where on par af wise with the G master on the sony and 85L on the Canon. When i put on my smoke/fog machine that's when things got interesting.

The Canon would still lock on most of the time whilst I had to to resort to shooting manual on the a7r3..

However. I couldn't see fa in the optical view finder and I barely saw the af point. Note that I forgot that I had the af beam on the 5d4 on from the trigger I was using so that may have helped get focus on such a smoke place.

The viewfinder was nice and clear on the a7r3 as expected so although it could not af at all I could at least see what I was manually focusing on.

Next time I'll test to see if the 5d4 also struggles to focus in a foggy smoke environment without any af assist beam

Not too fussed about the time it takes to charge, and to be honest once the initial charging is done it won't be a major inconvenience to keep them topped up. It's just an annoying wait on day 1 :D For the past few years I've probably bought 15 camera bodies but every one used the same batteries so I'm not used to this.

In saying that the ExPro dual charger is a good price so I'll maybe get one anyway. (y)
I've got the duel charger for the A7 series. Could sell it to you?

Ok heads up some news.
I did a portrait shoot today using the a7r3 and 5d4. When shot in nothing but the modeling light on. Both where on par af wise with the G master on the sony and 85L on the Canon. When i put on my smoke/fog machine that's when things got interesting.

The Canon would still lock on most of the time whilst I had to to resort to shooting manual on the a7r3..

However. I couldn't see fa in the optical view finder and I barely saw the af point. Note that I forgot that I had the af beam on the 5d4 on from the trigger I was using so that may have helped get focus on such a smoke place.

The viewfinder was nice and clear on the a7r3 as expected so although it could not af at all I could at least see what I was manually focusing on.

Next time I'll test to see if the 5d4 also struggles to focus in a foggy smoke environment without any af assist beam

Should have tested the Sony A9 also with the new firmware to see if it struggled like the Sony A7R III :D

Should have tested the Sony A9 also with the new firmware to see if it struggled like the Sony A7R III :D
Yea i actually brought that last week for a similar shoot and can't remember it struggling for focus. The conditions I described are quite demanding though. You could barely see through the ovf

I've got the duel charger for the A7 series. Could sell it to you?
Might not be worth your while selling it with the price it's at new just now. I've got one in my amazon basket at the moment though so if you want to pop it in the classifieds and tag me I'll let you know.

ETA: Now completed checkout for the charger

Last edited:
Anyone know where I can get reasonably priced batteries for the A7r3? Is there no 3rd party ones?

Anyone know where I can get reasonably priced batteries for the A7r3? Is there no 3rd party ones?

Stock seems to be very scarce currently, I can only see London Camera Exchange as having stock at £75 a pop. Not seen any 3rd party ones yet, could be a while.

A9 users - potential recall in the offing

Sony are doing a recall of all A9s in retailers' stocks. According to my contact, Sony recently noticed that some of the original A9s might have a shoe terminal problem. Although the product design itself has absolutely no issue, Sony discovered that one screw was not following the strict Sony quality requirement. It could result that on very rare occasions, with heavy weight accessories, the shoe can become slightly wobbly.

The number of faulty units is said to be extremely low. However, considering the position of the A9 within their range, they have decided to replace all of the retailer's stock with new and corrected units.

I don't have any information as to which cameras (i.e. which serial numbers) are affected, or even whether Sony know for sure themselves. It's also not yet known whether Sony will do a consumer recall, or just put procedures in place to fix cameras which turn out to be affected.

Last edited:
A9 users - potential recall in the offing

I don't have any information as to which cameras (i.e. which serial numbers) are affected, or even whether Sony know for sure themselves. It's also not yet known whether Sony will do a consumer recall, or just put procedures in place to fix cameras which turn out to be affected.

Sony Japan announced a free repair on the Sony A9 cameras with serial number between “3020001 to 3023644”.

Back