The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Well, this could be good news.

The rumor site is reporting that Sigma may be about to launch "many" lenses in FE mount at the CP+ show which starts on the 1st March.

Here's the link...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sigma-confirms-many-new-products-will-launched-cp/#disqus_thread

I do hope that these are more compact designs and not DSLR lenses with an adapter welded on the back. If they're the former then GREAT! but if they're the latter I can't see myself ever caring. Many will though.

Only a month or so to wait to see what they've been busy doing :D

There's been a groundswell of rumours that Nikon will announce their full-frame mirrorless at or before CP+ and there seems solid speculation that they've partnered with Sigma to beef up the lens range, I'd expect to see the same lenses available for both Sony and Nikon mirrorless, would make business sense to be able to offer the lenses in more than one mount, especially if they are new designs and not just the Art lenses with an adapter (Like Samyang did)

Can't wait to get the A9 ! Any wedding shooters here use them ?

I don’t have any booked work, had a wedding lined up for next month but the couple had a major fight so that’s on hold lol :D
My current IT career is taking far too much of my time at the moment on top of the kids so wedding photography has taken a back bench.

Last edited:
I think so.
I wouldn’t mind trying their 35mm f1.4 and also think they will release an 85mm and 135mm later this year.
I have their 35mm. I got it after sending the Sony Zeiss back. It was decentered. The Samyang 35 is even razor sharp on my A7R2 so I'd say it will be amazing on the A9

It vignettes way way less than the Sigma 35 Art and is pretty much the same sharpness from my experience

It's abit bigger though which surprised me

There's been a groundswell of rumours that Nikon will announce their full-frame mirrorless at or before CP+ and there seems solid speculation that they've partnered with Sigma to beef up the lens range, I'd expect to see the same lenses available for both Sony and Nikon mirrorless, would make business sense to be able to offer the lenses in more than one mount, especially if they are new designs and not just the Art lenses with an adapter (Like Samyang did)

One thing that does annoy me a bit is that Canon and perhaps to a slightly lesser degree Nikon have such a loyal following that even if they release a FF mirrorless that's comparatively poor it'll very probably sell very well. I read somewhere that Canon sells more mirrorless cameras in Japan than Sony and if that's true isn't it a little baffling looking at the objective strengths and weaknesses of the various offerings from the two companies...

I can imagine a point in the not too distant future at which a comparatively poor Canon FF mirrorless camera and even a Nikon one easily outsells a much better Sony. If that's ever the case I hope Sony don't throw up their hands and walk away. As I only have four native lenses I don't suppose it'll matter too much to me as my if my A7 dies and there's no new replacement because Sony have walked away from a market that prefers Canikon branded gear regardless of how good or bad it is my legacy lenses will work on just about anything but it would annoy me a little if brand loyalty dictates which way the market goes.

One thing that does annoy me a bit is that Canon and perhaps to a slightly lesser degree Nikon have such a loyal following that even if they release a FF mirrorless that's comparatively poor it'll very probably sell very well. I read somewhere that Canon sells more mirrorless cameras in Japan than Sony and if that's true isn't it a little baffling looking at the objective strengths and weaknesses of the various offerings from the two companies...

I can imagine a point in the not too distant future at which a comparatively poor Canon FF mirrorless camera and even a Nikon one easily outsells a much better Sony. If that's ever the case I hope Sony don't throw up their hands and walk away. As I only have four native lenses I don't suppose it'll matter too much to me as my if my A7 dies and there's no new replacement because Sony have walked away from a market that prefers Canikon branded gear regardless of how good or bad it is my legacy lenses will work on just about anything but it would annoy me a little if brand loyalty dictates which way the market goes.

If CaNikon did release a full frame system, I’d expect it to sell well because of their 30 year back catalogue of lenses available, which is something Sony can’t compete with yet even though they will still probably have the best sensors.

However competition in the market, especially for more realistically priced lenses, might encourage Sony to release equivalents. We’ve discussed it before but, whilst Sony are the only consumer full frame option they can release variable aperture kit lenses for over £600 and the reviewers see them as bargains. A bit of healthy competition from CaNikon would force Sony to compete.

Last edited:
If CaNikon did release a full frame system, I’d expect it to sell well because of their 30 year back catalogue of lenses available, which is something Sony can’t compete with yet even though they will still probably have the best sensors.

However competition in the market, especially for more realistically priced lenses, might encourage Sony to release equivalent.

Whilst that's true for people like us who typically own a few lenses (and probably more than one camera) we're maybe a small percentage of the market and I think it's still possible that many or even most people only buy the camera and kit lens or maybe only have the camera and one or two additional lenses so I'm leaning more towards people liking the name on the gear more than them caring about 30 years production of lenses being available.

It'd be interesting to know what's going on with sales of cameras and lenses for the Canon M series which is apparently selling very well in some markets despite arguably being relatively weak. Maybe :D

I could be wrong. Time will tell. etc.

Last edited:

However competition in the market, especially for more realistically priced lenses, might encourage Sony to release equivalents. We’ve discussed it before but, whilst Sony are the only consumer full frame option they can release variable aperture kit lenses for over £600 and the reviewers see them as bargains. A bit of healthy competition from CaNikon would force Sony to compete.

Just seen your edit. I don't really understand your FF kit lens comment as the only FF kit lens I know of is the 28-70mm which is nowhere near £600. If anyone fancies paying £600 for one they can buy mine at that price.

It's not £600 but Sony have it priced at £499 which is a bit of a joke. Used at MPB for £169.

Wex have it at £395. Took me a few seconds to find that.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-fe-28-70mm-f35-56-oss-lens-1544414/

Like I said nowhere near £600 but it is however waaaay more than a DVD player so Sony should be ashamed of themselves :D

I'm not going to pursue this beyond this post as some of you guys just go on and on about prices and I'm not that bothered and don't like being roped in to this as I end up looking like a fan boy defending Sony and I'm far from that. I really couldn't give a flying who makes the kit but I would like to see reasoned criticism when the prices are too high rather than the knee jerk stuff we've seen on line even when the competition is about the same price or on occasions even more expensive.

Just seen your edit. I don't really understand your FF kit lens comment as the only FF kit lens I know of is the 28-70mm which is nowhere near £600. If anyone fancies paying £600 for one they can buy mine at that price.

Apologies, I was typing and walking so meant the new 18-135 APS-C lens from Sony. I agree that the 28-70 isn’t £600.

Wex have it at £395. Took me a few seconds to find that.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-fe-28-70mm-f35-56-oss-lens-1544414/

Like I said nowhere near £600 but it is however waaaay more than a DVD player so Sony should be ashamed of themselves :D

I'm not going to pursue this beyond this post as some of you guys just go on and on about prices and I'm not that bothered and don't like being roped in to this as I end up looking like a fan boy defending Sony and I'm far from that. I really couldn't give a flying who makes the kit but I would like to see reasoned criticism when the prices are too high rather than the knee jerk stuff we've seen on line even when the competition is about the same price or on occasions even more expensive.

As above, I was mixing my sensor sizes and was referring to the new variable aperture longer lens from Sony for their crop sensor cameras. However, my comment about lens prices still stands as there’s definitely a market for more affordable common lenses. Sony have already shown it’s possible for them to release more reasonable priced good quality lenses with 50/1.8 FE so it would be good for them to also release similar price/quality walkabout range lenses like a 28-70/2.8 and some more primes. Not everyone wants or needs to spend over £1000 per lens.

I know you’re not a fanboy Allan because you’ve told us many times ;0) but you do seem a bit upset about CaNikon coming into the FF mirrorless market? I think it’s likely they’ll introduce a good range of lenses (especially if they’re already working with Sigma), along with more pocket-friendly options so it will be good to see how it affects the market.

If you’re happy with your A7 m then it won’t have any impact on you I guess?

I can only think that more players being in the FF mirrorless market is a good thing. Currently Sony have a bit of a monopoly which results in the prices they charge. Also if Canikon start investing more in mirrorless, it will drive the likes of Tamron & Sigma to develop their lens line-ups

I can only think that more players being in the FF mirrorless market is a good thing. Currently Sony have a bit of a monopoly which results in the prices they charge. Also if Canikon start investing more in mirrorless, it will drive the likes of Tamron & Sigma to develop their lens line-ups

+1, its a really good thing.

I've been Canon -> Nikon -> Canon -> Nikon -> Olympus -> soon to be Sony. I echo the above, I have no preference, Mirrorless was a game changer for me and if the big two are now looking to getting into Mirrorless then the more the merrier.

More choice, more competition drives both standards and price point.

I was always Canon up until last year and changed due to the hassle and bulk of carrying around a 5d3 with 2.8 lenses. Since moving over, I have taken more photos and am also enjoying it more. Would I go back to Canon? Possibly, who knows, however they would need to do more than just launch a FF mirrorless, they also need to improve their sensors. The DR and detail that the Rii captures is so far ahead of my 5D3 (in my humble view).

Because If market share is poor then you enter the realms of pantex

No more cutting edge releases. No more pro support etc etc

Pantex?

Alan, like many other people, has an A7 mk1 with a small range of OEM lenses. Like a lot of people, he doesn’t chase the rainbow and buy the latest camera as soon as it comes out or use pro support. As a result, a slow down in Sony release probably wouldn’t really impact him.

Pantex?

Alan, like many other people, has an A7 mk1 with a small range of OEM lenses. Like a lot of people, he doesn’t chase the rainbow and buy the latest camera as soon as it comes out or use pro support. As a result, a slow down in Sony release probably wouldn’t really impact him.
True i guess

That's fanboi talk, if you're happy with what you've got why would market share bother you at all.

As someone who has a fair bit of Sony A Mount kit, I can assure you that with companies like Sony, market share is vital - they didn't have sufficient market share with A Mount (this is going back as far as the A900, nearly 10 years ago), so didn't have the internal budget to market what they had, or produce additional lenses to bolster their line up - move on to today, and small market share for A Mount means Sigma and Tamron dropping A Mount from the options for new lenses they bring out.

That's why market share bothers people - because it changes the options they will have going forward.

As someone who has a fair bit of Sony A Mount kit, I can assure you that with companies like Sony, market share is vital - they didn't have sufficient market share with A Mount (this is going back as far as the A900, nearly 10 years ago), so didn't have the internal budget to market what they had, or produce additional lenses to bolster their line up - move on to today, and small market share for A Mount means Sigma and Tamron dropping A Mount from the options for new lenses they bring out.
That's why market share bothers people - because it changes the options they will have going forward.
You're confusing market share with market demand.

Back